Monsoon

Monsoon

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  25 reviews

Sandy Donaldson has been working for a volunteer organisation in Vietnam for the past four years. As her contract nears its end, she is reluctant to leave so she invites her oldest friend, Anna, to come for a holiday and discover its beautiful tourist destinations....more
Audiobook, 11 pages
Published November 1st 2007 by Bolinda Publishing (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Monsoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsoon

Danielle
Having traveled to Vietnam, I loved the descriptions and historical backgrounds of many of the places that I visited. The story was decent, however, parts of the book were a bit of a mess: wooden dialogue (I'm sorry but no one who works for or even remotely knows what an NGO is calls it a 'non-governmental organization' in day to day dialogue, unless you are telling someone what NGO stands for), unlikeable characters that don't evolve, and WAY too many plot lines (the entire plot about exporting...more
Anita
Apr 15, 2011 Anita rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No-one
The dialogues don't seem real to me - the Aussie character use Aussie slang as if it's mandatory to use at least one word in each sentence - it's not how I hear real Australians speak. The scene setting is forced. Couldn't finish it.
Kellie Van
Nearly a waste of time. Wooden dialogue and one dimensional characters..... The information on the Vietnam war and Tom the war correspondent are the only things saving this book from no stars. Harsh?! I dare you to read and give more;)
Donna
Had to give this up half way through, just couldn't warm to the characters, they seemed very false. Shame, as I was looking forward to the historical element of the Vietnam War
deLille
Jul 06, 2008 deLille rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in traveling to Vietnam
Recommended to deLille by: Doreen
I recently returned from Germany where I met a woman from New Zealand who was reading this book and she gave it to me to read after she was finished with it. Since it was the only book I had to read in English while I was in Germany, I read it, and my feelings on it are mixed. The writing style is very simplistic -- it seems as though the author, Di Morrissey is deliberately trying to write to a mass market audience -- which is rather disappointing because I feel that she is capable of so much m...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
Monsoon... Is a journey into the hearts and memories of those caught in a certain time in a particular place. Sandy Donaldson has been working for a volunteer organisation in Vietnam for the past four years. As her contract nears its end, she is reluctant to leave so she invites her oldest friend, Anna, to come for a holiday and discover its beautiful tourist destinations. Both girls have unexplored links to this country. Sandy's father is a Vietnam vet and Anna's mother was a Vietnamese boat pe...more
Muphyn
2.5 stars, a bit too scratching on the surface and happy ending for me but entertaining enough to keep my attention as a light read. The setting in Vietnam was actually quite interesting, especially as I've recently heard an interview on Australian Vietnam War veterans and the long-term effects they're still suffering from.

Carlo was probably THE most annoying character, and I just kept rolling my eyes why Anna put up with him. I really wanted her to get over him, but alas, I didn't get my wish.....more
Maggie
I was disappointed with this book. Whilst the storyline was fairly predictable and non challenging, I still had some enjoyment with this book. Having travelled through Vietnam, especially to the Australian base at Vung Tau etc, I enjoyed all the references to the areas, cafes etc mentioned in the book. And not just there, but in Hanoi, Hue Ho CHi Minh City, Ha Long Bay etc. So that for me was the best part of the book, revisiting in my mind places I had been. Would I have enjoyed it had I not tr...more
Julia
Not her best but still enjoyable.
Jo
I hadn't read any Di Morrissey before but assumed it would be a page turner because she is so popular. I was dissapointed. The characters weren't as engaging as I would have liked, i didn't really care that much about them. The plot meanderred.
On the upside, I loved learning about the history and culture of Vietnam and could relate as I am the daughter of a Vietnam vet.
Toni Hambilton
A book that I just started reading, full of Australian jargon, that I'm enjoying.

It's about two girls in Vietnam each discovering something about themselves, and the lives of lots of Aussies who fought there and are now trying to do something good.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable read and one I would recommend to anyone.
Leonie
I really enjoyed this book with all the great descriptive details of the scenery and foods from Vietnam. This country is high on the list of my "places to go" and as an Australian it was interesting with the references to the war and the Vietnam vets and how they coped/didn't cope after they came home.
Lisa Rich
Because I have recently been to Vietnam I enjoyed reading this book, I also learnt about the war....one piece of information that really stuck in my head is that all the 18 soldiers that died at Long Tan were under 21 years of age! Morrissey's descriptions of Vietnam were spot on.
Marilyn
I have to be honest, I didn't like the book, for me it was quite boring, and not up to Di Morrissey's usual standard. My nextdoor neighbor read it and liked it, but for me I was glad to finish it and get onto something more my style.
Sabine Tramaseur
Liked the easy to read historical information about Vietnam's war history and the setting in this beautiful country too. But the story line was thin and disappointing in my opinion. Have read much better novels by Di Morrisey.
Carole
Really dislike giving di a bad score :( I think she did well with the descriptions of the scenery but I feel the characters were patronizingly goody two shoes, unlikeable or under developed.
Terri
Great fan of Di Morrissey, another good book. Set in modern day Vietnam, the story of two Australian women and their links to Vietnam
Janine
The plot and the characters were not great but enjoyed reading about a lot of the places in Vietnam that I visited last year.
Beth
A great story set in Vietnam - lots of history, keeps you wanting to read
Jan
This was a good read, I like this author
Gayle
typical di morrissey- real australia
Anita
enjoyable. listened via talking book.
Meg
This book was historically correct giving an excellent account of what the Vietnam soldiers went through during the war, and what they have endured since.
Di Morrissey (born 18 March 1948 in Wingham, New South Wales) is one of Australia's most popular female novelists. She grew up in the remote surrounds of Pittwater, north of Sydney, Australia.

Growing up she counted famous Australian actor Chips Rafferty as a close mentor and friend who helped provide for her and her mother after the death of her father as a child, sending them overseas to Californ...more
More about Di Morrissey...
Tears of the Moon The Plantation Barra Creek The Reef The Valley