Barra Creek

Barra Creek

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  27 reviews
An outback family saga that will knock your hat off. It's funny, poignant and completely unexpected. You won't be able to stop thinking about it.
Di's twelfth novel opens in New Zealand in the 1960s. The Mitchell family has run a prosperous sheep farm for generations and the youngest daughter, Sally, has just turned 20. She rides to the hounds and leads an indulged life.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2009 by Bolinda Publishing (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Barra Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barra Creek

Kim
I picked this out on Audible strictly because it was set in Australia. I honestly thought it would be a trashy romance, or at least a romance. How wrong I was! I found this to be a really nicely-paced simple but interesting story where the setting certainly becomes a character - I cannot vouch for the authenticity of the descriptions of life in the outback on a cattle station, but it feels so real because of the writer's patient crafting of each scene and detail.

You might find that you think th...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
his is my first Di Morrissey story and what a great one to start with. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is both sad and happy.

In the prologue it is 2003 and Lorna Munro is an old lady who suffers from memory loss at times and her eldest son has just put her in a aged care facility but she has a mission to find her old governess Sally and tell her some secrets that she has kept for a long time, she needs to unburden herself.

1962 South Island New Zealand, Sally Mitchell is 19 and has grown up on her pa...more
Kym Ryan -tomlinson
My mum lent me this book, when i was in hospital with one of my babies and i read it in about 2 days. yes i had nothing to do but read and sit beside my bub in a humidity cribe. but honestly i couldn't put it down, it had me hook, line and sinker. i really enjoyed it. the nurse looking after us also had just read it and she loved it as well. yet again it was something different to what i would normally read, but after reading it, i promised myself to read more Di Morrissey books. It was like hav...more
Mel Crawford
Loved it! Did the audio version and couldn't wait to listen to it while driving.
Julia
Loved it! Lived it! Can't wait to read more of her work as this was my first.
Cindy
Het verhaal van Di Morrissey roept gevoelens van liefde en verraad op. Het is een beeldend en levendig verhaal. Soms wat overtrokken in de steeds weer nieuwe catastrofes, maar desondanks aangrijpend met een kleurrijke vrouw in de hoofdrol. Niet alleen een prima verhaal voor iedereen die van ranch- en cowboyverhalen houdt, maar ook voor degene die zoekt naar een verhaal vol emoties.

Zie Banger Sisters voor mijn volledige recensie:
Tiffany
I really loved this book and I loved the Australian heritage that it showed through out the book. There is nothing better than reading about a sexy cowboy lol! I suppose you could say that this book would appeal to the females out that love a good love story.

I definitely recommend it as it kept me hooked the whole book. I have read quite a few of Di Morressey's novals and this is by far her best. Enjoy the read!
Toni
I was expecting this to ba an average read but actulayy really enjoyed it. The description of this part of Australia was magnificent - you could almost smell the dust or rain. The family dynamics were well described, the reader cringes as some of the family issues hit close to home! A sad book in many ways but one I could not put down in the 2nd half and then it still seemed liek the ending came all too soon
Wendy Sice
Loved this! Australiana at its best!
Pauline Toohey
Miss Morrissey writes cleanly, but I don't find myself becoming emeshed into her stories. I prefer the 'hold onto your seat' and 'oh no' and the 'you're kidding' and of course, the tears, type of reactions to what I read. This was a gentle meander along a still creek.
Katie Q
What a terrific story. This is my 1st Di Morrissey book and I am hooked.

The picture painted of the Australian landscape is mesmerising and so captivating. Dove-tailed with the life and loves of the 60's on an outback station this book is incredibly entertaining.
✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿
Not something I would've picked to read, but it was recommended to me. I struggled to start with, but actually learnt a bit about Australian outback history and it ended up being a good read. The big secret was pretty predictable though.
Nicole McCann
Loved this book! Awesome holiday read was really nicely paced and a really good story not too predictable like I thought it might be. Didn't think Di Morrissey was for me but I will definitely give her other books a chance in the future!
Kiwileese
My current audio book and loving it. Im so lucky to have a job where i get to drive all day listening to books :)
Gayle
my introduction to di morrissey- great insight to outback australia and so true.
Joan
as always Di Morrissey didn't fail to please. Was amazing the life of a governess.
Lauren Caulfield
Lauren
Fanatastic Australian story that spans a lifetime. A favourite
Julie Hart
Great Read, enjoyed this book set in outbook Australia.
Pauline
good book with great Australian outback flavour
Jan
Always love reading Di Morrissey's books
Louise
One of my favourite all time books
Janine
Interesting but not exciting.
  • The Rouseabout
  • Pearl in a Cage
  • The Silver Horse (The Chain of Charms, #2)
  • Silver Wattle
  • Matilda's Last Waltz
  • Jack of Diamonds
  • The Denniston Rose
  • Looking for Alibrandi: Screenplay of a Film
Di Morrissey (born 18 March 1948 in Wingham, New South Wales) is one of Australia's most popular female novelists. She grew up in the remote surrounds of Pittwater, north of Sydney, Australia.

Growing up she counted famous Australian actor Chips Rafferty as a close mentor and friend who helped provide for her and her mother after the death of her father as a child, sending them overseas to Californ...more
More about Di Morrissey...
Tears of the Moon The Plantation The Reef Monsoon The Valley