How to Argue Like Jesus: Learning Persuasion from History's Greatest Communicator

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Leaders in business, ministry, education, and other fields can improve their ability to communicate effectively by studying the words and methods of history's greatest communicator, Jesus of Nazareth.
Published December 18th 2008 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Argue Like Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Argue Like Jesus

Karey
Nov 29, 2008 Karey marked it as to-read
This review is advance praise of the author himself, since I'm writing it before the book's release: I met John Coleman and his wife Jackie at a Thanksgiving dinner recently, and was impressed by them as a loving couple, as well as by the integrity and solid character of John who is studying business and government at the Harvard School of Business. I just found out today that his book, How to Argue Like Jesus is to be released soon. I truly look forward to reading it, since books are often an...more
Peter Krol
A wonderfully concise book on the art of communication. The authors take the example of Jesus Christ (public communicator extraordinaire) and show how he demonstrated valuable rhetorical principles and categories. This book helped me consider how to develop as a public communicator in rhetoric's three major areas: Pathos (energy, emotion, connecting with the audience), Logos (use of reason), and Ethos (character and credibility).

I appreciated the distinction the authors made in the intro: there...more
Jane
The first half of this book was quite interesting... an exposition of Aristotle's 'On Rhetoric', basically, with examples drawn from the words of Jesus. Then it went somewhere else.... A 'leadership' manual? (groan) This is really not what the title led me to expect.

I think that the authors were a bit confused about who they were writing this for: the introduction claims that it is addressed to a general audience, but the vast majority of the posited applications were either for a preacher or a...more
Shawn Trautman
This was a very good primer for the art of rhetoric. I have not had much training or education in this area, so this introduction was very helpful for me. It gave me practical skills to improve my communication, and has encouraged me to study this ancient topic more thoroughly. I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to improve their communication skills, whether they are professional communicators or casual conversers. This book would be helpful for everyone!
Paul Miller
Good primer on basic rhetorical techniques with examples from the Gospels and elsewhere.
Jim
Good introduction to rhetoric with a little instruction on logic to boot. HtALJ explores basic concepts of rhetoric by demonstration from the teaching ministry of Jesus. Later chapters address principles of small group leadership and other rules of thumb for strong public speaking. The book avoids being overly technical while still doing a good job of familiarizing the reader with the vocabulary of rhetoric. It is very accessible to most readers and recommended for any one who speaks in public o...more
Mike
The authors do a great job demonstrating how Jesus employed the classical methods of rhetoric of Logos, Ethos, and Pathos. The weakness of the book is in training the reader in how to do it yourself. They give a few examples and tips but I did not feel very equipped after reading it. This serves as a good introduction to the concepts. However, you will need some other books to take you the next steps.
Dan
This book's title is far more provocative than its contents. The basic premise of the book is to demonstrate that much of Jesus' utterances can be broken down into the usual Logical categories. The book is useful, I suppose, if the reader is new to these categories, but...
Duncan Williamson
Duncan Williamson marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Ainos
Ainos marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Aug 03, 2014
Dwight
Dwight marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Derek Iannelli-Smith
Derek Iannelli-Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Iron
Iron marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Joel Ohman
Joel Ohman is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2014
Bronwyn
Bronwyn marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Annie
Annie is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2014
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Chad Jowers
Chad Jowers marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Cross Killings: A Jordan Jones Novel Cold Cases: A Jordan Jones Novel Brain, Belief, and Politics (Cato Unbound) Wichita State Baseball Comes Back: Gene Stephenson and the Making of a Shocker Championship Tradition Will Rogers: At the Ziegfeld Follies