Start by marking “How to Argue Like Jesus: Learning Persuasion from History's Greatest Communicator” as Want to Read:

Uses Jesus' words and actions found in the New Testament to systematically evaluate his rhetorical stylings, drawing real lessons from his teachings that today's readers can employ.

Jesus of Nazareth never wrote a book, held political office, or wielded a sword. He never gained sway with the mighty or influential. He never took up arms against the governing powers in Rome.
Published December 18th 2008 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Argue Like Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Argue Like Jesus

K.S.R.
Nov 29, 2008 K.S.R. marked it as to-read
This review is advance praise of the author himself, since I'm writing it before the book's release: I met John Coleman and his wife Jackie at a Thanksgiving dinner recently, and was impressed by them as a loving couple, as well as by the integrity and solid character of John who is studying business and government at the Harvard School of Business. I just found out today that his book, How to Argue Like Jesus is to be released soon. I truly look forward to reading it, since books are often an ...more
Peter Krol
Sep 22, 2012 Peter Krol rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully concise book on the art of communication. The authors take the example of Jesus Christ (public communicator extraordinaire) and show how he demonstrated valuable rhetorical principles and categories. This book helped me consider how to develop as a public communicator in rhetoric's three major areas: Pathos (energy, emotion, connecting with the audience), Logos (use of reason), and Ethos (character and credibility).

I appreciated the distinction the authors made in the intro: there
Michael Boling
Jan 18, 2015 Michael Boling rated it really liked it
We all communicate each and every day in one form or another. Since we are commanded in Scripture to always be prepared to give an account for the reason we believe, it behooves us to be capable communicators when sharing the hope that is within us, namely the message of the gospel. What better place to study the art of gospel communication that from the words of Jesus. Joe Carter and John Coleman in their helpful book How to Argue Like Jesus: Learning Persuasion from History’s Greatest Communic ...more
Stephen
Jul 14, 2015 Stephen rated it liked it
As one who has taught rhetoric at the high school and college level, I appreciate the concise overview presented here of pathos, logos, and ethos, along with illustrations from the speeches of Jesus and other historical and literary figures. This book might serve as a supplemental text to a course on preaching or public speaking. The discussion questions make for helpful self-analysis, and the two contemporary case studies at the end are also illuminating.

A book like this makes me realize how sh
Jane (yesmissjane)
The first half of this book was quite interesting... an exposition of Aristotle's 'On Rhetoric', basically, with examples drawn from the words of Jesus. Then it went somewhere else.... A 'leadership' manual? (groan) This is really not what the title led me to expect.

I think that the authors were a bit confused about who they were writing this for: the introduction claims that it is addressed to a general audience, but the vast majority of the posited applications were either for a preacher or a
Joel Ohman
Nov 29, 2014 Joel Ohman rated it really liked it
Lots of really good practical stuff in here. The concepts overviewed in the book likely won't be anything new to anyone who has taken even an introductory course in logic/debate/etc. but seeing the concepts illustrated through the life of Christ makes for an interesting read. The chief positive to the book is that it is ultra practical - lots and lots of actionable "do this"/"try this" stratagems that can be employed in all manner of written and spoken communication. This is definitely a book wo ...more
Jim
Jul 29, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction to rhetoric with a little instruction on logic to boot. HtALJ explores basic concepts of rhetoric by demonstration from the teaching ministry of Jesus. Later chapters address principles of small group leadership and other rules of thumb for strong public speaking. The book avoids being overly technical while still doing a good job of familiarizing the reader with the vocabulary of rhetoric. It is very accessible to most readers and recommended for any one who speaks in public o ...more
Shawn Trautman
May 29, 2014 Shawn Trautman rated it it was amazing
This was a very good primer for the art of rhetoric. I have not had much training or education in this area, so this introduction was very helpful for me. It gave me practical skills to improve my communication, and has encouraged me to study this ancient topic more thoroughly. I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to improve their communication skills, whether they are professional communicators or casual conversers. This book would be helpful for everyone!
Mike
Aug 15, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The authors do a great job demonstrating how Jesus employed the classical methods of rhetoric of Logos, Ethos, and Pathos. The weakness of the book is in training the reader in how to do it yourself. They give a few examples and tips but I did not feel very equipped after reading it. This serves as a good introduction to the concepts. However, you will need some other books to take you the next steps.
Dan
Jan 25, 2012 Dan rated it it was ok
This book's title is far more provocative than its contents. The basic premise of the book is to demonstrate that much of Jesus' utterances can be broken down into the usual Logical categories. The book is useful, I suppose, if the reader is new to these categories, but...
Donnie
Aug 28, 2015 Donnie rated it really liked it
This is a great book that does much more than teach how Jesus argued but it is a tutorial on how to argue according to Jesus! It is an excellent read for the person who is looking to become winsome, persuasive, and remain true to our goal to glorify God.
Andrew Swanson
Andrew Swanson rated it it was ok
Oct 17, 2014
Chris Wray
Chris Wray rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
courtneycaleb
courtneycaleb rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2016
RJ Patten
RJ Patten rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2013
Rachel Hodges
Rachel Hodges rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Kevin Cozzi
Kevin Cozzi rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Dustin
Dustin rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2013
Brett Z. Chancery
Brett Z. Chancery rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Josh Sieders
Josh Sieders rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2016
Tucker
Tucker rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Petur
Petur rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2017
Chris Jones
Chris Jones rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2016
Michael Kearney
Michael Kearney rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2015
Jonny
Jonny rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2012
Mitch Law
Mitch Law rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
John Souza
John Souza rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Moses Pena JR
Moses Pena JR rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
James (Jimmie) Price
James (Jimmie) Price rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Are These the Last Days? (Crucial Questions, #20)
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • Pillars of Grace, AD 100–1564 (A Long Line of Godly Men, #2)
  • Divine Design: God's Complementary Roles for Men and Women
  • Touching Godliness
  • The Man Christ Jesus: Theological Reflections on the Humanity of Christ
  • Contending for Our All: Defending Truth and Treasuring Christ in the Lives of Athanasius, John Owen, and J. Gresham Machen  (The Swans Are Not Silent, #4)
  • Understanding the Times: The Collision of Today's Competing Worldviews
  • A Reformed Approach to Science and Scripture
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Be Exultant (Psalms 90-150): Praising God for His Mighty Works
  • Logic: A God-Centered Approach to the Foundation of Western Thought
  • Collected Writings on Scripture
  • Lost Virtue of Happiness: Discovering the Disciplines of the Good Life

Joe Carter is an editor for The Gospel Coalition, a senior editor at the Acton Institute, a communications specialist for the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, and an adjunct professor of journalism at Patrick Henry College. He is the co-author of How to Argue like Jesus
More about Joe Carter...