Thunder-Boomer!

Thunder-Boomer!

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  56 reviews
A summer storm brings relief from the heat—and a surprise—to a farm family.
It's a hot day on the farm, and a little girl, her brother, and their mother are trying to cool off by the pond. Suddenly, dark clouds roll in. A thunder-boomer is on the way! The storm brings pounding rain and hail—and an unexpected visitor: a soggy wet stray kitten. Colorful descriptions of the st...more
Published June 15th 2009 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Thunder-Boomer!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunder-Boomer!

The Library Lady
I love this. The layout is unusual--small type for the main text, a lot of pages with several small pictures on the text page, plus a larger spread on the opposite leaf. The large pictures have accompanying sounds--the "putt-putt" of Dad's tractor, the "plap, plap" of Tom paddling his feet in the pond, and the "swish swish swish" of Mom fanning herself.

As the storm hits, the energy of the art picks up as well--you can feel the family rushing to get themselves and the animals inside, and you shiv...more
Logan
"I hope this heat breaks soon...We need a thunder-boomer," says the mother in this charming book about a thunderstorm on a farm on a hot, restless summer day. As the storm comes in, the family prepares, bringing in the laundry from the line, the family, and the chicken from the barn. The chicken is acting strangely though and they eventually discover afterward that she'd been sheltering a kitten, who then braved the storm alone. When they find him, despite being drenched, he gives them a big pur...more
Jacqui Robbins
When a storm hits the family farm, it leaves behind something unexpected and purring.

Things you will love about this book:

1. The poetry. It is free verse -- metered, not rhyming -- and when you read it aloud, it makes your mouth happy.

2. The mood of the book itself mimics the rising storm: the tense humidity, first sprinkles, booming hail, and lush, wet calm afterwards.

3. The illustrations are lovely, with lots to look at and parts of the story on the endpapers.

4. The kitten is really, really c...more
M.J.
I love a cracking good thunderstorm and this wonderful book puts you right in the middle of one! But there's more going on than just the wild weather... after rescuing the washing, a reluctant chicken and getting under cover the sun comes out once more and reveals a surprise in the form of a storm-bedraggled kitten.
Kelsey
Shutta Crum’s picture book, bursting with onomatopoeia, features a farming family on a hot sunny day praying for a “Thunder-boomer” to break the sun’s awful heat wave. Mom’s prayers are quickly answered as a storm blows in. The family races to find shelter and rescue Maizey the favorite family chicken who is caught in the rain. As the storm continues, hail pellets clink and ping against the house. With a house full of chaos and a frazzled chicken, the storm finally comes to an end and the family...more
Tyler
Thunder-Boomer is a wonderful story that is about a family of four that lives on a farm and enjoying the day outside. They have a dog, Scooter and a chicken named Maizey. While Dad is is on the tractor in the field the rest of the family is outside by the pound. While they are relaxing a storm moves in and they rush back to the house when they notice Maizey is out in the storm. Dad and Scooter goes back to get her. Maizey is upset about something. After the storm clears they go back outside and...more
Rachel
Picture Storybook: Shutta Crum's Thunder-Boomer! is a mediocre book that is not worth reading. It is about a rural family preparing for a thunderstorm, which they call a "thunder-boomer." They put the hens in the chicken coop, take the laundry down from the clothes line, seek shelter in their home before the storm hits. This book would be quite boring for children and does not have any assets to hold a child's attention. The illustrations by Carol Thompson are creative due to the fact that they...more
Rebekah
A family from the country prays for a thunder boomer on a hot sunny day. They get their wish and a huge storm comes in. The illustrations throughout the story were very colorful and detailed, and even though the characters were cartoons, they show lots of expressions. There is a lot of onomatopoeia throughout the story. This book would be good to use in a grammar lesson especially if you wanted to show the students how to use onomatopoeia effectively. A teacher could also read this story to his...more
Melissa
A sudden thunderstorm rolls into farmland and a families home. The family must quickly run around and put things up on their land and in their home. As they finish putting things out of the thunderstorms harm they wait for it to pass. Once the thunderstorm finishes they go outside to inspect the damage and find a surprise waiting for them under their pet chicken.

Illustrations for this story are bold and vibrant with a bit of fun laughs added to them. I liked the illustrations very much because i...more
Jody Lewandowski
I DO love a good thunder storm! Lots of humor to lessen the tension of a scary storm. And a sweet surprise at the end.
Jayna
All ages

A thunderstorm rolls in and catches the family off guard. They scramble to put away the farm animals, get the laundry off the line, and get the dog and favorite chicken inside. After the storm, the chicken finds a little kitten and the family decides to keep him and name him Thunder Boomer after the storm.

This would be good for a story time about weather. Also you could use this to illustrate narrative. The family has a process that they must complete to keep everything safe from the st...more
Caroline
Thunder-Boomer! is written by Shutta Crum and the illustration were by Carol Thompson. It is a a very very hot day at the farm for the family. The little girl, her brother and their mom are trying to figure out how to cold down. Then they start to see big dark clouds starting to roll in their view. With all the thunder and boomer, the storm bring in a little friend to the family. A little soggy wet stray kitten.

When I was reading through this book, I thought this would be a great book to read to...more
Courtney
This is about a little girl, her brother, her mother and her father who all live together on a farm. There is a storm coming close to their farm. They get inside, before the storm really starts. They wait out the storm, and have a few laughs. They call a thunder storm, a thunder boomer. This could be a good book for K-3rd grade. You could read this book when there is a thunder storm outside, or to talk about storms to calm down children's nerves. The illustrations are cute, the only thing that I...more
Melanie
A family is sweltering in the summer heat, begging for rain, when a thunder storm breaks loose sending everyone running for shelter. Even the dog and chicken end up safe in the farm house. When the rain, hail, lightning and thunder are over, the family are thankful to find minimal damage done to their corn crop. The chicken who acted so strangely during the storm races out to the side of the barn where she has found a present...A kitten. The family decides to keep the kitten and name it Thunder...more
Tamra
I don't know quite how I feel about this one. It had wordy descriptions that I think were supposed to be beautiful - like the author was trying to elevate children's literary experience. But it just ended up being wordy and difficult to read out loud.

Thunderstorms are cool. And I liked the illustrations pretty well. I liked all the word descriptions of sounds littered throughout the pages.

I just decided: I did not like this book.

(Once a month I read picture books to a 2nd grade class. This one d...more
Dolly
Jul 08, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, pets
This is an interesting and entertaining story, filled with onomatopoeia and weather drama. The book explains that the illustrations were executed in watercolor, gouache, pastel, crayon, and collage and the mixed media gives a hazy, muted aspect to the pictures, almost as if the pictures were blurred by the rain, too.

The inclusion of Dad's underwear flying about in the storm adds a nice comedic touch to the drama and the ending is a sweet surprise. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Patti Richards
"Thunder Boomer!" (Clarion 2009) is my friend Shutta Crum's book about a hot, hot day on the farm. The family tries to get cool in the pond, when all of a sudden a thunder storm rolls in! With wonderful watercolor illustrations by Carol Thompson, this book is sure to delight anyone who has ever experienced a summer thunder boomer! Shutta's books are always wonderful, and this one is one of my favorites!
Sarah W
A summer storm closes in on a family farm. The pictures in this book focus on the different sounds mentioned in the text. The family is gathered inside only to have Dad head out to rescue the young narrator's favorite chicken. The family watches as hail comes down, hoping the crops won't be ruined. After the storm, the little girl follows her chicken to find a special surprise.
Emorie
I liked how this book put humor into something that children may be afraid of. It's a great book to incorporate into a weather unit. In addition, this would be a great book to use if living in the mid west. I think the kids to connect to it. And to top it off, the ending was adorable and sweet. It lets children know that something good could come out of a scary situation.
Erica - Bonner Springs Library
A hot, lazy midwestern summer day suddenly turns much more interesting as a thunderstorm rolls in. Then it ends as quickly as it began.

The layout of this book is interesting with most of the text appearing on side panels with full-bleed color illustrations on the other 2/3 of the spread. It allows for really intense color illustrations.

Erica

Cindy
Thunder-Boomer captures a summertime storm perfectly. First is the unbearable heat. The dark skies come and the cool wind begins. Then the coziness of being inside while the sky releases the rain and lightning. Finally, walking outside to the puddles and the smell of a washed world. Sometimes there is even an extra surprise after the storm. :)

Jackie
It's sweltering outside, what they need is good ole thunder-boomer! As the skies darker and the wind picks up, everyone at the farm,including cats, dogs, hens, and people, scurry to get inside. When the loud storm rumbles off into the distance, the air is cool and breezy and a few surprises are left behind outside.
Lisa
A wonderful story to use for main idea and details in writing as well as determining important information in reading. The setting is a rural farm. The author builds suspense during the storm as everyone races to get to a safe place. Then when the storm ceases the author gives us a warm hearted ending.
Tricia
Almost feels like one stepped into the Wizard of Oz. Describes a thunderstorm setting in on a farm...with a surprise storm victim who finds refuge with the family when the clouds clear. Book balances humor but also serious enough to scare the faint of heart--or those who don't like storms.
Angela
I really enjoyed the free verse poetry of this book. It makes for a great read aloud. Along with the colorful pictures, this one will keep the attention of young ones. And then the small surprise at the end of the story, will make the kids very happy! This one is a definite keeper!
Heather Bowden
This book gives a lot of adjectives that helps the reader use all 5 senses while reading the book. This book also has some words that may not be known by the students. We can do a mini-lesson on what to do if we come across a word that we don't know.
Alisha Williams
This would be a good book if teaching at a rural school. The class would really be able to connect with it. Also if teaching in a more populated area you could use this book to explore what life may be like living in the country vs. a city town.
Angela
This is a great book to teach about weather, tornadoes in particular. It is also a book a student from the mid west could relate to. It would be great for a child who like farms or grew up on one. I would be a great book for someone with pets.
Dana Snyder
  • We Planted a Tree
  • Red Sings from Treetops: A Year in Colors
  • Born Yesterday
  • The Chicken of the Family
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
  • Henry in Love
Shutta Crum, an award-winning writer of books for children and poetry for adults, is a storyteller and a retired youth librarian who was awarded the Mich. Library Assoc. Award of Merit as youth librarian of the year (2002). She is also an educator who taught writing at the high school and college level, and to third-graders under the auspices of the Mich. Council for the Arts. Currently her presen...more
More about Shutta Crum...
Mine! Thomas and the Dragon Queen Dozens of Cousins The Bravest of the Brave Spitting Image