Start by marking “Drummer In the Dark” as Want to Read:
Drummer In the Dark

Drummer In the Dark (Marcus Glenwood #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In a rip-roaring plot that could be torn from tomorrow’s headlines, bestselling author T. Davis Bunn weaves political intrigues and disturbing moral dilemmas into a chillingly credible portrait of the cutthroat world of international finance.
Jackie Havilland is working in an Orlando detective agency when she is approached with an unusual request: Esther Hutchings, wife of
Published August 7th 2001 by Doubleday (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Drummer In the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drummer In the Dark

Shihab Azhar
I will be honest - I really struggled to finish this book. Not that it wasn't riveting - I can't ever imagine I'm going to be able to read another thriller on international debt relief again. The plot was great, and really sheds light on how politics works (it's a bit difficult to explain without giving away spoilers). It's just that some of the writing- the imagery, the style etc. - somehow didn't really appeal to me. The atmosphere of the book seems so dark and covered in an unending gray that ...more
Ingrid
I was disappointed in this book. However, I will be first to admit that my level of knowledge regarding hedge funds and forex is very limited. I found the book confusing but I am sure that a more knowledgeable person would have enjoyed it more.
Mary
I would love to give this book more than 3 stars, but I can't do it. The story line is intriguing and the premise is terrifyingly real. However, understanding derivatives in the financial sector is apparently above my abilities. No matter how many times I read the explanations, I came away knowing that I was missing something and that took away some of my enjoyment in reading the book. My other complaint is that there were so many players that I a hard time keeping track. It was one of those boo ...more
Kara Jorges
This book gets off to a slow start, taking a bit too long to let us in on what’s going on, but once it gets going, it’s not bad.

Wynn Bryant is a man of means who obviously travels in better circles than I do, since at a mere suggestion from his sister, he becomes an interim Congressman. He wanders around DC without a clue until he gets dragged on a journey to Rome and Cairo, and gets pulled into some hefty intrigue.
Jackie Burke is a windsurfer with a crappy job who suddenly gets hired by the wif
Ginny
Wynn Bryant lost his wife, became a multimillionaire when he sold his dot.com, and won a patent infringement suit against a competitor - all in the same month. Since then, he has drifted aimlessly, until he is recruited to run in a special election for the Congressional seat held by a firebrand who has been disabled by a stroke. Wynn is supposed to be just a placeholder for the next 18 months, and he has been charged with the task of killing the "Jubilee Amendment" to an omnibus spending bill. A ...more
Laurie Stoll
Drummer in the Dark is the first book I have read from this author. I enjoyed this story very much. It has mystery, suspense, great characters and is very fast paced. I am looking forward to reading other books by T. Davis Bunn.
Melissa
Not my kind of book. About currency and world politics. Probably would be a gret book for those interested in that subject matter.
Connie
Even with the many surprises at the end, I am giving this book a rating of three. Perhaps it would be great for one who understands high finance, the stock market, and national and international banking, but it was often over my head, and therefore less enjoyable. Also,I had to frequently return to my list of characters to keep everyone straight. This has not been the case for me in reading Grisham. I am still glad I read the book. It was another eye opener, this time to the potential for abuse ...more
Roey Martz
Boring, didn't finish
Tina Hunt
I didn't want to stop reading. At first I thought that I would be put off by the intense focus on finance--which I knew nothing about. I was hooked and when I was done I ended up going to the internet to do some more research. I was thankful that I was reading this on my Nook (an e check out from our local library) because that afforded me the opportunity to look up the words that I didn't know with out leaving that page! I like the way this author stretches my mind and my faith. I recommend it ...more
Marliss
It's hard for me to give an "amazing" rating to a fiction book unless it illuminates my spiritual walk in some way. But I really liked this book. I appreciated the struggle of the main character as he remained true to himself but changed in ways that basically redeemed his prior behavior.

I like T. Davis Bunn as an author because most of his books have a depth of plot and character that keep my interest, and keep me reading far later than I should, lol.
Amy
A very good book with an eye opening view of a side of Wall Street that is a little scary to know. I do agree the details of forex trading were sometimes hard to follow, but necessary to understand what was going on -- fortunately my husband is a professor of finance, so when I had questions I had a ready source of help available. I think the plot was excellent, though, so if you can use those details to enrich the read, you won't go away disappointed.
Melanie
If you're into derivatives trading and politics, you'd probably love this book, but I found much of it tedious. The premise is startling and the plot solid, but the storyline is overshadowed by the necessary exposition of forex and the trading/banking industry. A small percentage of readers might have the necessary background knowledge to fully "get" this book, but even with my banking background I got bogged down in the details.
Jodi
Jun 26, 2012 Jodi rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Just couldn't get into this book so I skimmed it to finish it. Picked it up off the free shelf at the library and that is where it will be placed back on when I go the the library later today!
Jim Magwood
If anything puts today into perspective with the Dust Bowl days, this will. It will shake you and drag those tears out. Excellent.
Tulsi

Such a timely book even though it was written over a decade ago
Stephanie Blackbern
I read all Davis Bunn-sometimes he is my "christian " version of John Grisham
Janet
Great book. Intelligently and believably written. Very timely.
Linda-ann Ruiz
Linda-ann Ruiz marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Jenny Jones
Jenny Jones is currently reading it
May 24, 2015
Cheryl Turley
Cheryl Turley marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Hope Johnson
Hope Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Patti
Patti added it
Mar 30, 2015
Mary Reddel
Mary Reddel marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Kay Card
Kay Card marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Susan Lewter
Susan Lewter marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • My Soul to Keep
  • Blind Justice
  • The Trial
  • Dread Champion (Chelsea Adams, #2)
  • Irreparable Harm
  • One by One (Danielle Ross Mystery, #1)
  • Necessary Measures (Healing Touch Series, #2)

Marcus Glenwood (3 books)
  • The Great Divide
  • Winner Take All
The Solitary Envoy (Heirs of Acadia, #1) The Great Divide The Book of Hours The Noble Fugitive (Heirs of Acadia, # 3) The Quilt