STAR TREK: The New Voyages

STAR TREK: The New Voyages (Star Trek Adventures #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  567 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A spellbinding collection of eight of the original Star Trek stories, this book includes "The Enchanted Pool", "Intersection Point"", Enterprise", "Mind Sifter", and "The Hunting".
Mass Market Paperback, 237 pages
Published July 15th 1980 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1976)

Wendy
A couple of the stories were good. Most were just okay, and a few felt like re-writes of episodes. I didn't like the last two stories at all. Still, worth having for die-hard ST fans because of the intros written by the actors.
Cheryl in CC NV
I'm sure it wasn't intentional that this book was created by women, but it does show. The stories are mostly character driven, as we explore what impact different situations have on their emotions, personal development, and relationships. There's drama, and humor, but the emphasis is not on the thrills. I liked it. I hope I can find other works by the authors, especially by Marcia Ericson.
James Sorensen
Published in 1979 by Bantam. This is a collection of early Star Trek fan fiction edited by Sondra Marshak and Myrna Culbreath. These two women are co-authors of Star Trek fiction in their own right. They read through dozens of stories to come up with the selection published in this book. As a highlight some of the stars of Stars of ST: The Original Series wrote forwards to each of the included short stories.

Some of the stories very good and very well written others not so much. Not to be overly...more
Brian Lewis
Although it may not be fair to give an overall rating to several different authors, the book, as a whole, is poorly written. My biggest gripe is that the majority of the stories didn't even get their characters right.

There are only about 2 stories that were done well, the rest reeked of fan-fiction that you could read on a variety of bulletin boards today. I have never truly enjoyed fan service oriented entertainment; it always lacks any sort of substance that a book truly needs.

Perhaps hardcore...more
Valerie
This is a literal find, because it got down behind the pillars of a bookshelf I built and stocked, and I only found it while shelf-shifting.

I've evidently had it for many years, because it has a preprinted bookplate in it, and I got those bookplates as a gift from one of my cousins in the '80s. I may have acquired it new, or soon after its publication date (the one I have is the 7th printing).

These stories are fan fiction from the Original Series, before the movie that restarted the work. The wh...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
This anthology has come in for more than its share of disdain. I once saw an editor for the later published Strange New Worlds express contempt for it. These stories, after all, have a fanzine feel, several were first published in fanzines, as you might know seeing them mentioned in Star Trek Lives! the book about Trek fandom co-authored by Sondra Marshak. Strange New Worlds in contrast was a "writing contest" for those with less than three published stories, and saw itself as much more professi...more
Mike McDevitt
Ni Var- Spock gets the 'Enemy Within' treatment when a mad scientist splits him into human & Vulcan. Torment!

Intersection Point- a strange trip to a physically incomprehensible dimension torments Spock's mind.

The Enchanted Pool- My favorite of the book. A fairy-tale girl wants castaway Spock for his kisses: what's the angle?

Visit to a Weird Planet Revisited- This was fun: shades of 'Galaxy Quest' as Shatner, Nimoy & Kelley take their characters' places in the Star Trek dimension.

The Face...more
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1981:]. If the television series Star Trek was largely a male phenomenon - conceived, directed, produced, principally acted by men - here is the other half of the story. Eight stories by women, chosen by women, and as might be expected from a woman, I find the principal themes of the stories sympathetic. Almost without exception, these writers have abandoned the adventure format, except as a secondary device, and concentrate on the emotional side of their three principa...more
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Jan 02, 2009 Stephanie "Jedigal" rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Trek fans!
Published in 1976, this book of short stories is good plain Star Trek. Surprising to me, this appears to be all fanfiction - how lucky for these selected fans of that time to be able to get their material formally published with the Star Trek name.

The selections here all have a very authentic Trek voice. The characters say things that fit them. In fact, in many cases, the dialogue is so good, that you actually "hear" the words in the voices of the well-loved actors who played those parts.

Nothi...more
Scott Williams
This was the first professionally published collection of short Star Trek stories. It was published in 1976 and the most interesting part of the book is the introductions to each of the stories written by Gene Roddenberry, Leonard Nimoy and other cast members.

The stories themselves are very fan fiction-y. They were culled from hundreds of entries by fan fiction writers. Though they are all well written, the stories are mostly not what we would recognize as Trek-style. Most of them are dreamy rom...more
Brenna
Basically a collection of 70s star trek fanfiction.
I liked it.
My favorite is The Winged Dreamers.
Fangirl
For this book I have only fond memories.
I picked it up by chance, because I needed something to read and the gas station I stopped at had only a few books to choose from.
This book started me on my journey as a Trekker. That was in 1976 and many years followed with me being active in the fandom. I still consider myself a Trekker today, alas not quite as active anymore.
Tara Calaby
This is a collection of short stories written by fans that was professionally published with a foreword by Gene Roddenberry and individual story introductions written by the TOS cast members. The quality is a bit up and down, but the better pieces are well worth a read, and not only for the enormous amounts of slashy content that made it into publication :D
Rich Meyer
This was the first official collection of original Star Trek short stories. "Visit to a Weird Planet Revisited" and "Face on the Barroom Floor" are the real standouts for me. All are a tad dated and obviously written as proto-fan fiction, but the book is a fun read for any Trekked.
Gillette Kempf
I read this book when I was a teenager and completely entranced with the Star Trek universe and science fiction in general. The stories have stayed with me over 20 years. I recently happened on a copy and had to sit down and re-read my favorite stories all over again.
Bryn Hammond
One of the four Trek published books I cherished. Better than #2, though #2 is another of the four. I saw nothing in the published novels, none that I tried, but this anthology of fan fiction was more exploratory.
Charles
This book came along when I was very hungry for more Trek and even though not all the stories are written by full-dress professional writers they have a passion and joy about them that I really responded to.
Dorothy
Apr 06, 2014 Dorothy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: star trek fans, especially of the k/s persuasion
Shelves: star-trek
Contains "Ni Var", "Intersection Point", "The Enchanted Pool", "Visit to a Weird Planet Revisited", "The Face on the Barroom Floor", "The Hunting", "The Winged Dreamers", and "Mind-Sifter".
Barbara
Some nice stories but also some with way to much attention to the possibility of a homosexual relationship between Kirk and Spock. Also goes sometimes outside of the Star Trek rules.
Bradley
A wildly varied book of short stories. Imagine my surprise to discover most or all of these tales started out as fanfiction. Definitely a worthwhile read. =)
Jeff
The fact that this is a collection of fan fiction was obvious in the by-the-numbers plots, clunky language, and poor characterizations.
Samantha
I loved some of these short stories. They feel much more like missing episodes than the full length novels do.
Enigmaticblue
I love the fact that Star Trek actually published fanfiction, and the stories are, overall, really quite good.
Steve
An anthology of some of the earliest (and quite possibly the best) independent short stories themed on Star Trek.
JJ
Definitely a good read, follows the TOS crew through eight short stories. I recommend it!
Elise
Lot of great Star Trek short stories in here - some of the best I've read.
Valerie
Wow! Finding this on the shelf transported me to Junior High.
Bev Hankins
Absolutely delightful! Mindsifter is one of the best.
Randy
First book of Trek short stories by fans. Uneven.
Harvey
Terrible, dreary fan-fic.
  • Star Trek 12
  • Trek To Madworld (Star Trek Adventures, #9)
  • The Galactic Whirlpool (Star Trek Adventures, #14)
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)
  • Pawns and Symbols
  • Black Fire
  • The Pandora Principle
  • My Enemy, My Ally (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #1)
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • Death's Angel (Star Trek Adventures, #15)
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • The Making Of Star Trek
  • Legacy
  • Planet of Judgment (Star Trek Adventures, #5)
  • Killing Time
  • The Disinherited
  • The Starless World (Star Trek Adventures, #8)
Triangle The Prometheus Design The Price of the Phoenix (Star Trek Adventures, #4) Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6) The Fate Of The Phoenix (Star Trek Adventures, #11)