Start by marking “Waiting for My Cats to Die: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Waiting for My Cats to Die: A Memoir

Waiting for My Cats to Die: A Memoir

When Stacy Horn--single, deeply addicted to television, and hopelessly attached to two diabetic cats--turned forty, she free-falled into a mid-life crisis. Waiting for My Cats to Die is a passionately and profoundly honest look at what happens the moment you realize--beyond a shadow of a doubt--that some day the credits will roll on your life. There are all those things yo ...more
Published January 17th 2002 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published February 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Waiting for My Cats to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waiting for My Cats to Die

Lisa
Sep 29, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Stacy, can we talk? You need to get out of NYC once in a while, my friend. You have oddly sheltered views on many things. Yes, everything you say is true: life is depressing and then you die. Not only that, you get old first. Things change that we don’t want to change. Like our looks. But I just turned fifty and feel fantastic, and not in an “Up With People” denial sort of way.

Here are a few of the chapters: "Death" "Cats" "Fantasy" "Death" "Cats" "Beauty" "Death"
"Cats" "Death".

So many paralle
Lizbeth
Sep 30, 2012 Lizbeth rated it it was amazing
This book is one I read annually. I've lent it out so many times that I've had to replace it at least four times.

Is it that I'm a single, middle-aged, cat-loving woman as comfortable delving into death as I am delving into life? Hard to know.

What I do know is I felt like I knew the author after the first reading. Stacy Horn manages grim topics with sensitivity and humor.

"I keep coming back to death the same way I can't stop touching a sore tooth with my tongue to see if it still hurts." pg 14.
Moira Russell
A painfully funny and achingly wise memoir. Stacy Horn is sadly neglected -- if I had my way she would be as feted as Anne Lamott for this one book alone. (Her book on cold cases is also excellent.)
Bickgirl24
Feb 22, 2008 Bickgirl24 rated it liked it
Started reading this about a year ago. It's not that it's boring...it's just that I choose to read it slowly...a chapter every couple of days.
Rachel
Stacy Horn is on the wrong side of 40, lives with her cats, spends a lot of time online, and considers watching TV a kind of a life. This all sounds so familiar but this review is not about me, so let's move on. Waiting for My Cats to Die is a collection of essays broken down into categories that include Death (Horn is fascinated with all things death-related and, according to her friend Mikal, has an unhappy ghost living in her apartment), Cats (about Veets and Beamers, her two diabetic pets), ...more
Amy
Mar 05, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
I'm not even finished and I have an opinion....this book is definitely a mixed bag. There are parts that are laugh out loud funny. There are parts that are thoughtful, introspective, and touching. And then there are some parts that are just ramblings that go on and on with "woe is me" pessimism and narcissism that we could all do without. This book has the potential to be great, but could have benefited from a heavy editorial hand. Even though it is no masterpiece, I will continue to read it bec ...more
Lisa
Jun 27, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
What an odd, sweet book - kind of like reading someone's journal without the guilt. It's funny because if my friend Lynn hadn't liked it so much (enough to send me a copy) I probably wouldn't have made it through the first few pages. Stacy Horn hits a bunch of my biases right out of the starting gate -- people who talk about how lame they are as almost a point of pride, defining yourself as "liking to watch TV" -- things that speak entirely to my own high level of crankiness with humanity. But s ...more
Carmen
Mar 08, 2009 Carmen rated it it was ok
Shelves: memior
I've heard an interp cutting from this book two weeks in a row and totally loved it. The performance was great (1st place out of EIGHT) but the material was first rate. It's out of print, I guess, but can be purchase from Amazon used. Stay tuned.

Okay. This book was odd, but I did like it. She's 40+, in the throws of midlife and constantly contemplates death: hers, the cats, other people and that of the ghost in her apartment. The cat parts mean nothing to me, but I think a "cat person" would fe
May 16, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
The first few pages of this book were off-putting to me. Horn is 40-something, unhappily unmarried, unnaturally attached to her chronically ill cats, obsessed with mortality and she bluntly lays this all out at the beginning of the book. If my sister hadn't liked this book so much I might have put it down, which would have been a shame because it really is a very fun read. (Really... trust me.) (Horn reminds me a little of my sister. I am comforted by the fact that she hasn't taken up drumming o ...more
Elaine
Feb 29, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it
People can be put off the title, but those dedicated to caring for animals know they will face their loved ones deaths because they don't live as long as we do. Stacy Horn is a great story teller. She struggles with being a single woman in New York with these two elderly cats. One needs to have a shot every day to help with an old-age malady. She's funny and serious and everyone who has ever loved a cat . . . or a dog, or any non-human creature should check it out.
Lilian
Sep 19, 2012 Lilian rated it really liked it
Shelves: ailurophile
Another of my rainy day books. Unlike the other cat books I've read recently, at least this one says it's really a memoir of Ms Horn and not just only about her dying cats. It's easy to read despite the morbid subject because the chapters read more like essays, so really this is a collection of personal essays on death and cats, midlife crisis, ghosts, cemeteries and the Internet. I could sometimes relate to Ms Horn's experiences and opinions, so naturally this was an interesting read for me.
Jaena4 Beadling
Aug 01, 2009 Jaena4 Beadling rated it liked it
Again, I wish they had half stars; this isn't quite a 4, but it also deserves more than a 3. I really like parts of this book. I read it in a day, so it was absorbing enough. It got a bit bogged down in the chapters I didn't really care about. She describes the book's structure as flipping through various channels of her life (romance, cats, death, etc) and I found myself interested in some and annoyed by some.
Lexie Huber
Aug 08, 2013 Lexie Huber rated it did not like it
I read 147 pages.

Stacy, you are not funny. Your fantasies are uninspired. You care too much about cats and not enough about people. Stop watching so much tv and hanging out in chat rooms you will not meet "the one" doing that. Finally, everyone is obsessed with death. This was the only interesting part of your book and your mid-life crisis.
Skyler
Oct 01, 2008 Skyler rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone from NWR
Recommended to Skyler by: an independent bookstore review pamphlet
Cat. Death. The Social Internet. (The author created a social internet site called echonyc...well before Facebook.) And Buffy the Vampire Slayer. All the themes that run through this memoir speak deeply to me. It is my favourite book of 2008 so far. Perhaps my favourite book of the decade.
Marilyn
Oct 19, 2007 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
A Fabulously funny book! Some great lines and insights. A great quick read if you are looking for something light in between having read Maughm and Boyd!!
toki
Dec 05, 2008 toki rated it did not like it
I only read a few pages of this book. The title of it was interesting, but I couldn't get into it. One of the few books I have opened that I actually had to simply put down.
Brenna
Apr 20, 2012 Brenna rated it did not like it
I could barely get past the first few chapters. I never knew death could be talked of in such a boring manner. Ugh.
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2008
Nicholas Beck
Nicholas Beck rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2011
beth
beth rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2007
Brooklyn
Jun 06, 2008 Brooklyn rated it liked it
Entertaining enough.
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014
Dina
Dina rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2008
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2008
Abi Veloso
Abi Veloso rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2011
Louise
Louise rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2008
Kristine (fezabel)
Kristine (fezabel) rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2008
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Abby
Abby rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Alissa
Alissa rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Sit, Ubu, Sit: How I went from Brooklyn to Hollywood with the same woman, the same dog, and a lot less hair
  • Thomas Jefferson: Lessons from a Secret Buddha
  • The Full Body Project
  • Ithaka: A Daughter's Memoir of Being Found
  • Following Foo: The Electronic Adventures of the Chestnut Man
  • Cheesemonger
  • So, You're A Creative Genius, Now what?
  • Breathing for a Living: A Memoir
  • Thanks for the Memories, Mr. President: Wit and Wisdom from the Front Row at the White House
  • Dear Dad: Letters from an Adult Child
  • Knee Deep in Paradise
I've just finished up my sixth non-fiction book. It's about Blackwell’s Island, now called Roosevelt Island. In the 19th century, management of New York City’s poor, insane, and lawless were thrown together and warehoused on the same narrow, two-mile-long island in the East River. It didn’t go well.(Algonquin Books, 2018).
More about Stacy Horn...