Start by marking “How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-By-Step Guide to Fairy Art” as Want to Read:

How do you draw a fairy? It's not like you can convince one to do life modeling in your studio. How to Draw and Paint Fairies confronts the fairy labor shortage directly, explaining all the techniques needed to bring fairy art to life. For beginners, explanations of basic techniques and easy-to-follow constructional drawings, plus information on materials, sketching, forms ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Watson-Guptill Publications

To ask other readers questions about How to Draw and Paint Fairies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Draw and Paint Fairies

F.P.
Jun 05, 2013 F.P. rated it it was amazing
Just got a copy of this--her art is so lovely! A few things in here I can't wait to paint, especially the image that mixes ballpoint pen with color. I did that from her other book and I loved it (it's on my blog). There's another fabulous image with lots of beautiful blue, but because I'm not very good at watercolors, I think I'm going to start doing her stuff in acrylic washes--that way I can correct "errors."

For years I kept trying to use watercolors like acrylics...um, it doesn't work. Gouac
Jul 23, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
This isn't a book for learning how to draw the fairies themselves (they give basic guides) but it's a really good reference guide for working out your own watercolour colour schemes as well as a great section of techniques for interesting watercolour finishes. Also great ideas for fairy clothing and wing designs as well as personality in facial features.
I don't paint fairies but I picked up this book for the good tips on watercolour finishes. Good reference book and the fairies are really cute.
Meighan
Aug 31, 2008 Meighan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like traditional fairies
The drawings are beautiful and the artistic advice in many places is sound, but I feel that this book specifically teaches you to draw fairies like Linda Ravenscroft. I wish that art from different artists had been used more often, and that the art peices shown were in more different media and styles.
Raha
May 22, 2009 Raha added it
This is a fairly good book on techniques and instructions. It's surely fun to draw and paint imaginative creatures, especially since fairies can be composed of human body, butterfly or bird wings, and floral costume. Creating fairy land requires paying close attention to nature and building confidence in drawing and painting skills.
Patsy Parker
Oct 13, 2014 Patsy Parker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-instruction
I really love this book. I spent a great deal of time working out of it a couple of years ago. I drew lots of fairies, but eventually moved on to something else. I like the way it explains proportion and the illustrations are excellent.
Alicia
Dec 19, 2008 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several Start to finish examples, considers feel and settings well.
Geralyn Guardacasa
Apr 22, 2014 Geralyn Guardacasa rated it it was amazing
Cheryl
May 23, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book- use it all the time when I am stuck for inspiration. It always has a way to get the creative juices flowing again.
Mari Funai
Mari Funai rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015
Ali Nawaz
Ali Nawaz rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2017
Cindy Taylor
Cindy Taylor rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Danica
Danica rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Joy Elia
Joy Elia rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Meghan Dzurichko
Meghan Dzurichko rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Jacklynn
Jacklynn rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Genevieve
Genevieve rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2015
Dale
Dale rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2017
Gilly Denham
Gilly Denham rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Sunny
Sunny rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Kayla
Kayla rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2014
Sonia
Sonia rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2008
Marwan2368
Marwan2368 rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
C.S. Houghton
C.S. Houghton rated it liked it
May 17, 2012
C Wick
C Wick rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
Chanelle
Chanelle rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Gemma Ibison
Gemma Ibison rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2007
Saba Khoso
Saba Khoso rated it did not like it
Jan 25, 2016
Indigo
Indigo rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2013
Julia Rueger
Julia Rueger rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2016
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • Dreamscapes: Creating Magical Angel, Faery & Mermaid Worlds In Watercolor
  • The Fairies: Photographic Evidence of the Existence of Another World
  • The Winter Child
  • Fairy Houses ... Everywhere! (Fairy Houses)
  • Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment
  • How to Draw and Paint Fantasy Architecture
  • Escaping into the Open: The Art of Writing True
  • The Faeries' Oracle
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • The Works Of Jane Austen (Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, Emma, Persuasion)
  • Faery Craft: Weaving Connections with the Enchanted Realm