Start by marking “Dave Barry Is Not Taking This Sitting Down!” as Want to Read:
Dave Barry Is Not Taking This Sitting Down!

Dave Barry Is Not Taking This Sitting Down!

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,215 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Barry fans will enjoy this latest collection of columns from one of America's funniest journalists. The title originates from his rant about low-flow toilets in his notorious Toilet Police article. According to the Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist (Big Trouble), it wasn't his first choice for a title, which would have been (and I am not making this up) Tuesdays with Harry ...more
Published January 23rd 2001 by Crown Publishing Group (NY) (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry Is Not Taking This Sitting Down!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry Is Not Taking This Sitting Down!

Lisa (Harmonybites)
Oct 15, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Humor Books
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: The Ultimate Reading List
Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-Winning syndicated columnist and humorist based in the Miami Herald. This particular collection of 72 of his columns, published in 2000, was recommended in the Humor Section of The Ultimate Reading List. That's why I tried this--I'm not really a fan of joke or humor books in general, and this didn't do much to change that. Barry is funny. I did often grin madly and quietly snicker, and it takes a lot to get even that much of rise out of me from a book, and it happe ...more
James Swenson
A collection of columns. I injured my throat laughing at one of them, so I don't know if I should recommend it or not.

[F]or a moment I was afraid that they were just regular beans, and that I was being ripped off.

Then I thought: What kind of world is this when you worry that people might be ripping you off by selling you coffee that was NOT pooped out by a weasel?

So anyway, I ground the beans up and brewed the coffee and drank some. You know how sometimes, when you're really skeptical about some
C. Adam Volle
Since Dave Barry is best in column-sized doses, collections of his columns like this one make excellent bathroom reading. Admittedly, it's possible I'm being subconsciously influenced by the cover.
Derrick Clements
Jan 26, 2013 Derrick Clements rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humor columnist Dave Barry doing what Dave Barry does. He was one of my favorite writers when I was in high school, and this is a great collection of his essays.
Eric
Oct 21, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dave Barry is so good at what he does that I found it frustrating to laugh so hard and then fail so miserably when trying to retell his stuff to my wife.
Duane
Sep 04, 2008 Duane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book from Dave Barry. If you need a good laugh, don't hesitate to pick up this book or any of the other books he's written. A gem of a funny book!
Anne
Mar 24, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's refreshing to read a humor book where the author doesn't feel the need to use foul language to make it funnier. Dave Barry is hilarious. I can't wait to read more. Thank you Valerie!
Emily
Dec 14, 2016 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty funny little mash up of articles by Dave Barry. I have to say, it didn't have me rolling on the floor laughing out loud like "Dave Barry hits below the Beltway", but, overall it was a pretty good book.

Typical Dave Barry, lots of potty humor and some funny but poignant Bill Clinton quips. If you're looking for something light and fast, this is a good book
Leew49
Feb 29, 2016 Leew49 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This is one of many collections of humor columns published by Dave Barry over the years. Most of them were written a few years (translate: a few Presidencies) ago, but that didn't make them any less funny for me. Some of my favorite humorists (SJ Perelman, PG Wodehouse, Initial Initial Whatchamacallit) use a lot of word play. Barry relies more on exaggeration, non sequiturs, and a keen eye and ear for the ridiculous. For the last of these he often gives credit to "alert reader Joe Blow" who brou ...more
Don Murphy
Aug 11, 2010 Don Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are three types of people: Those who love Dave Barry, those who hate Dave Barry, and those who think that he's related to Marion Barry (we'll call those youngsters). I happen to fall into the love Dave Barry group. His ability to take segues and non sequiturs on a weekly basis and make them work ... well, works for me. Sometimes, he focuses on a subject too long, but - as a weekly newspaper columnist - that can be forgiven. He covers 'sensitive' issues such as low-flow toilets and radioact ...more
Epizeuxis
Dec 25, 2013 Epizeuxis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who: wish to laugh, are not looking for cohesive or deep reading.
Shelves: horror, humor, nonfiction
As always, Barry is a delight, and proves himself to be one of the funniest writers that I know of.

Reading so many brief columns in quick succession becomes a tad tiresome by the end, but the frequent change in topic keeps the collection interesting. The format also allows one to notice the recurring jokes that Barry likes to employ throughout his pieces, from labelling particularly weird phrases as good names for a rock band and poking fun at Leonardi DiCaprio and Fran Drescher, to responding t
Chris
Jan 09, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I laughed several times reading the first few columns, but realized that aside from a vague distaste for golf and co-workers, and an appreciation for the Red Cross, I it was just washing through my mind, without leaving much impression at all. I stopped reading (quite rare for me), although ironically the next book in my stack was Myth-Fortunes Myth Adventures 19, hardly a substantial work of prose.
Amanda
Dec 04, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: Jackie or Jini or somebody
So, two weeks ago, I reviewed 1984 and gave it a mere two stars. And that, combined with my 4-star rating here, makes me afraid that you're going to judge me as being a stupid dummy with a low IQ. But in order to move on with my life, I have to bury my head in the sand and pretend that I don't care what you think! So there!

Anyway, this book sure is funny. I laughed a lot. A bit out-dated because it's copyright 2000, but still very funny. I recommend it to people who like funny things.

The end.
Nagesh
Jan 07, 2008 Nagesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book of Dave Barry that I picked up ...

I fell a lot from the chair, the bed and what have you while reading this ...

Another guy like Bill Bryson who has a good sense of humour ...

I think a lot of his books have some of the most outrageously hilarious titles ...

After the first book I'm tempted that most of them may also contain the most outrageously hilarious content too ...
Donald
Dec 25, 2007 Donald rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Humor columnists should not write books. I will admit that some bits were funny, and that was why I picked this up. But I had to drag my cranial wadding through a lot of frivolous drival to get to the good stuff. I could get the same action with a mediocre podcast.
Elevetha
Feb 14, 2013 Elevetha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, 2013
DARN CANADIANS!!! Trying to ruin our life by flaunting their usage of 3.5 gallon toilets vs. our 1.6.
Andrea
Feb 18, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a random collection of Dave Barry's articles. It's funny and ironically, a great one to keep in your bathroom.
Katy
Oct 11, 2011 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as funny as I had hoped, mainly because I listened to the audiobook version, and the narrator over-acted much of it. It might be better in print.
Richard
Mar 14, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just what I needed...Mr. Barry is amusing in a special way. His assumed ignorance puts him in a unique position to comment on everyday life with great irony.
Mary Tuley
Aug 10, 2007 Mary Tuley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody who has a funny bone.
I remember reading years ago that Dave Barry was the funniest man in America. I believe he still is.
James Aaron Lindsey
One of the funniest Dave collections ever published, second only to Dave Barry Slept Here, in my humble opinion.
Liz
Jan 23, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am constantly led to laugh out loud at Dave Barry's essays. The man is a great comedian and this collection of his columns provides a few hours of great amusement.
Miss Clark
Miss Clark rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2008
Moribello
Moribello rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2009
Urvashi Rustomfram
Urvashi Rustomfram rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
May 28, 2008
Jesse Morgan
Jesse Morgan rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2013
Terra
Terra rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2010
Matthew Beach
Matthew Beach rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2015
John Semeniuk
John Semeniuk rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
  • Just Wait Till You Have Children of Your Own!
  • Shave the Whales
  • The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos
  • Motorworld
  • Cows of Our Planet
  • Kids Say the Darndest Things
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Scrum Bums: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Ranting Again
  • The Darwin Awards III: Survival of the Fittest (Darwin Awards, #3)
  • Black Bart Says Draw: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Few Minutes with Andy Rooney
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...