Start by marking “Harley” as Want to Read:
Harley

Harley

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Harley is learning to be a pack animal, but he kicks, he screamsand he spits! Then a shepherd, who needs a llama to watch over her sheep, decides to take a chance on young Harley. Through the seasons, a series of challenges both great and small turn the temperamental llama into a loving leader. with poetic, easy-to-read language, and captivating artwork by Caldecott Honor-...more
Published March 1st 2003 by Chronicle Books (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Harley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harley

Is Your Mama A Llama? by Deborah GuarinoMaria Had a Little Llama / María Tenía Una Llamita by Angela  DominguezLily the Llama by Kate HillThe Silence of the Llamas by Anne CanadeoLlamas by Sandi Burt
Llamas
15th out of 40 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicola Mansfield
Molly Bang is a Caldecott Award-winning author and her illustrations in this unique easy reader are absolutely beautiful. Star Livingstone actually camped out in a tipi in eastern Massachusetts to observe Harley and his sheep while she wrote this book based on real-life events. This is such a beautiful easy reader I was just charmed by it! A lovely tale of a sheep ranch owned by a female shepherd who buys a guard lama to protect her sheep after they are attacked by coyotes in the night. The stor...more
Polly
Pointless. I cannot imagine what kind of person learning to read would want to read endless, boring sentences about a llama. It's quite simple, but there's so much of it! I can't imagine anyone at this level wanting this much to read (it's at least 60 pages, most of them with a lot of text), or anyone up to this length wanting something this simple and bland. It's a cute idea, but should have been cute in half or even more.
Maelee
Sep 02, 2010 Maelee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2nd-3rd graders;animal lovers
Recommended to Maelee by: the cover caught my eye
I never knew much about llamas until I read this book! Harley is a heartwarming tale of a very special llama. He starts out as a failure but overcomes his personality quirks and spitting outbursts and succeeds as a sheep protector. Who knew? I especially like when he throws a tantrum in the middle of the field. Harley seems very human - he's not perfect - just special.
Jennifer Oaks
I thought that this book is definitely for younger children because of the use of so many simple sentences. I felt that the book just did not flow. I did think it was funny how a llama protected and led the sheep in this story. The little girl made the right choice because the llama hept the wolves away.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I couldn't resist that cute face on the cover! I also learned a lot about the use of llamas as shepherds. Combine this with Johanna Hurwitz's two books, A Llama in the Family and A Llama in the Library.
Amy
It isn't a good read aloud really because the sentences are so choppy. Maybe it is supposed to be an early reader? Anyway - the story is cute and the illustrations are really fun.
Marilyn
Bought this book a couple of summers ago to do as a puppet play. Reread it the other day when I was missing our llamas.
Beverly
Written for beginning readers, but never condescending. Good story; beautiful illustrations.
Megan
Simple sentence structure makes this good for beginnning readers.
Michael P. Deslippe
Michael P. Deslippe marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
James Kirkpatrick
James Kirkpatrick marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Harleyc
Harleyc marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Anitaheidi
Anitaheidi marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Olivia_kids
Olivia_kids marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Foxglove Zayuri
Foxglove Zayuri marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Suzanne Cooper
Suzanne Cooper marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013