Start by marking “Xenophobe's Guide to the Dutch” as Want to Read:
Xenophobe's Guide to the Dutch

Xenophobe's Guide to the Dutch (Guía del típico)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  9 reviews
It's all in your mind

The spirit of tolerance does constant battle with the ghost of Calvin for control of the Dutch psyche. Few Dutch people go to church anymore, but they don't need to. Inside every Hollander's head is a little pulpit containing a preacher with a wagging finger.

Going Dutch

This is the nation that once sold scrapers for getting the last remnants of the film
Published July 1st 2008 by Oval Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Xenophobe's Guide to the Dutch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Xenophobe's Guide to the Dutch

Tara
Short enough to read in one hour-and-a-half sitting, this book is concise and humorous, including the right amount of relevant insights that a short-stop traveller might want to know, without going into detail about long historical explanations or deeper sociological analysis that at least I myself will not be privy to on my stay.

I suppose the danger of this type of book is to arm the traveller with a set of prejudices about the general population which immediately close your eyes to some thing
Nathan
I'm not quite sure about other people's offence at the humour. I think it was a good at a brief and even investigation of the Dutch zeitgeist, told in a candid and conversational manner. A book like this is always going to be slightly bias, just as much as if it it were written instead by a Brit, a German, or someone from North or South Holland!

As a soon to be resident British expat, I'm looking forward to seeing some of these observations prove themselves.

At the end of the day, it's only tiny.
Patricia
Unlike other books of this series, this is too mild for my taste, and less witty than others.
Pat Shackleford
Recognizable goes further than the usual stereotypes.

Forgot to mention that nobody but complete douchebags drink Heineken in the Netherlands. But the publisher probably would be sued for slander by the Heineken company if they would publish that.
Emma Kerekes
Hm... This book made me realize some of the not so obvious parts of the dutch culture and people. However, sometimes the humor is not as funny as intended, but blatantly offensive instead.
Qonita
interesting facts about how & why of the dutch people. great little book for anyone who want to relate with dutch people (not necessarily living in the netherlands).
The Katie
I have read this before, but it is interesting to re-read this now that I live here. I can see a lot of truth to some of the segments of this book.
Xuan Luo
Nice sketch of the Dutch culture & society, though the intended effect of humour is less than expected.
Irina
It's just soo bloody funny and true at the same time :)
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
April DeJong
April DeJong marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Pjotr
Pjotr marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Agne
Agne added it
Feb 21, 2015
Noemi Evangelista
Noemi Evangelista marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Taswa
Taswa marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rodney Bolt was born in South Africa. He studied at Rhodes University and wrote the play Gandhi: Act Too, which won the 1980 Durban Critic's Circle Play of the Year award. That same year he won a scholarship to Cambridge and read English at Corpus Christi. He has twice won Travel Writer of the Year awards in Germany and is the author of History Play, an invented biography of Christopher Marlowe (H ...more
More about Rodney Bolt...

Guía del típico (4 books)
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the English
  • Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the French
The Librettist of Venice: The Remarkable Life of Lorenzo Da Ponte--Mozart's Poet, Casanova's Friend, and Italian Opera's Impre As Good as God, as Clever as the Devil, the impossible life of Mary Benson History Play: The Lives and Afterlife of Christopher Marlowe Bavaria Cadogan: Madeira & Porto Santo