Start by marking “Jumping Frog” as Want to Read:
Jumping Frog

Read Book* *Different edition

Jumping Frog

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,593 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Mark Twain's Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County is a story of the crusty Jim Smiley, a man who so loved to bet on animals - horses, dogs, etc. - that he trained a frog to be the strongest jumper in his county. Twain's broad yet graceful humor is beautifully complemented by the elegant woodcuts of Alan James Robinson. Finely reproduced, these illustrations bring Twa ...more
Published September 10th 1998 by Moyer Bell (first published 1865)

To ask other readers questions about Jumping Frog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jumping Frog

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainThe Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark TwainA Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark TwainThe Prince and the Pauper by Mark TwainThe Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain
Best of Mark Twain
14th out of 24 books — 82 voters
The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan PoeLove, Life and Everything Else by Xunaira J.Cyborg Spell Shop by James ChalkThe Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan PoePapap's Teeth by Danielle DeVor
Single Short Story
80th out of 398 books — 218 voters

More lists with this book...

Carl Koch
Oct 25, 2013 Carl Koch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim Smiley bets on everything he can possibly bet on. One day he found a frog and trained it to jump. The frog learned to jump further than any frog in Calaveras County. One day Jim met a man that said his frog was no more special than any other frog. Jim wanted to prove him wrong so he went to find a frog. While he was gone the man filled up the frog with a lot of quail shot. When Jim got back he bet the man that his frog would win. When the frogs went to jump Jim’s frog didn’t even move. The ...more
Prashant
Mar 25, 2012 Prashant rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
The story titled 'The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County' was originally published in 1865. The edition that I read had the story with a preface in which Twain has angrily addressed some frenchman who have tried to translate his story in french and had ended up making fun of it. So Mr. Twain has given the original story to him, then his own translation in french and then the translation in english of the story that the frenchman published in the article.

The story is about a Rev. Leonida
Elizabeth
Mark Twain's sense of humor is peculiar, for want of a better word. I think I understand what he was trying to do here, but if I could sum this book up in just one word, I would call it strange. I'm always amused when an author addresses the readers (say, in an introduction, or in an afterward) without actually breaking from the fiction of the narrative, and that seems to be the whole point of this revenge edition.

"The Amazing Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" is a short story about a man who ge
Paul Secor
A three part book - Twain's original story, a French translation, and finally, Twain's tranlation from the French back into English (or American English, to be accurate). It's a setup, as Twain implies with a wink: "I cannot speak the French language, but I can translate well, though not fast, I being self-educated." And "There may be people who can translate better than I can, but I am not acquainted with them."
Nothing against the French - they make great films - but if I'm going to experience
Marco
“I claim that I never put together such an odious mixture of bad grammar and delirium tremens in my life.” Well, I have to agree. To be honest, I can’t quite understand why my professor made us read this story.
Scott
Jan 31, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Picked this up at the library today because I've always been a big Mark Twain fan and for some reason I've never read this.
It was a short story in classic Twain fashion - the narrator being an educated man getting a story from a more down to earth uneducated man. It's funny and told well and I'd recommend it - only takes about 15 minutes and you'll enjoy it and maybe smile or laugh a time or two.
Joe Schalkowski
I read the short story “The Notorious Jumping Frogs of Caleveras County.” I liked the short story but it was a little confusing. The beginning of the story was somewhat hard to follow and was a little all over the place but it cleared up a little bit at the end. The general idea behind the story was good and is a very valuable lesson to learn in life. In the story, a man named Jim Smiley always found a way to bet on something. He bet on anything from horse races and dog fights, to chicken fights ...more
Corey Schmidt
I read “The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” by Mark Twain. In the story the main character, Smiley, gets himself into a little bit of trouble. Smiley is a man who likes to bet on everything. He bets on dog fights to birds flying off fences. One day he catches a frog and trains it to jump. He wins a lot of bets with his frog until one day when a stranger comes to town and takes his bet. While Smiley is away he stuffs his frog full of lead quail shot. When it's times for his frog to ju ...more
Michel
Sep 06, 2008 Michel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michel by: Rita
Shelves: humor, doulce, lang
"Traduttore, traditore" (Translating is betraying, or something like that).
Mark Twain set out to 'prove' that point by caricature (which I'm sure is one of the 'fallacies' of deductive reasonning, but who gives a ** when things get so out of hand you get a LOL per page).
This is so funny you forget there is a real dilemma illustrated here: unless you read a foreign author 'in the text' (and know the language well enough to catch the non-said), you do not know what the guy really meant, you get wh
Tessa
Apr 11, 2015 Tessa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
*For College*
Once again, not my cup of tea. It is fast and easy to read but it doesn't feel like a good story at all.
Realini
Mar 28, 2014 Realini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Notorious Jumping Frog by Mark Twain

Mark Twain is one of the greatest and best known writers in the world. I am not sure about Burma, Iraq, Uzbekistan and other remote places, but in the “Western World” most of the children have read and enjoyed The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. These adventures are actually included in the Guardian top 100 best books ever written. And the list is not some lining up of popular taste, or the fashion of the moment. It was compiled by experts and writers like
Kathryn
The titular story is okay. Cute, but only okay.

The real gold in this collection of sketches are the pieces "Answers to Correspondents" (seriously giggled out loud about eight times), "Concerning Chambermaids" (very amusing bit of hate-rant) and "The Killing of Julius Caesar 'Localized'" (where Mark Twain writes as if he was a first-eye witness reporter to the assassination of Caesar - best punch-up between toga-wearing gents if there ever was one!)!

Oh, the joys!
Yani Daniele
En realidad son 3 estrellas y media pero como no deja marcar así quedó en 3. Sin dudas este cuento tiene el sello de Mark Twain, supuestamente es algo "gracioso" aunque yo no le encontré ninguna gracia, más bien me pareció desagradable, ver como se encuentra divertido que un sujeto llamado Smiley se dedicara a apostar con todo cuanto ve, en especial con peleas de perros, gatos, gallos, etc. sin importar que el animal terminé muerto como pasa con uno de los mencionado. No celebro ni me gusta este ...more
Patrick
Apr 16, 2009 Patrick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This is actually in a collected book of Twain, but I wanted to rate the story separately. The plot of the story is not actually that great. But the language...is awesome. It captures this uneducated, small-town guy so well. Like the Huck Finn accents. I loved the language. It's like 5 pages. Read it just to hear the guy's voice.
Imagination Meg
May 16, 2016 Imagination Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone; especially Mark Twain fans
This is a great short story that Mark Twain wrote about a story. The basic plot is that a town's "rambler" - you know, that person who will tell long-winded stories and tell a million little facts and other related stories and has you falling asleep before they've talked for even a minute - that tells an unfortunate fellow about a man who would bet on anything (and I mean anything). Eventually, he gets to the story of the jumping frog. Somehow, the rest of the world got it into their heads that ...more
Rachel Jackson
"The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" is such a strange, quirky little story about a frog who supposedly can out-jump any other frog in the county — but more than that, it's about the storytellers themselves, the narrator and Simon Wheeler, a bartender with a long-winded approach to talking to strangers. The story isn't so much about the frog as it is about the relationship between Simon and the narrator, and how absurd the situation is when Simon begins telling his stories. It's not ...more
Leah Angstman
I love Mark Twain, but this story goes nowhere. A couple light chuckles. No moral, no purpose. The dialect is classic Twain, as always, but it's really not worth your time. Read Huck and Tom, instead.
Nicholas Xifaras
I don't feel the need to reiterate what the story is about, considering my fellow readers have done this twenty-fold. The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County is a classic, without a doubt.

Mark Twain is an excellent writer. That is if you enjoy broken English with a southern-plot bias. Now, many people enjoy it and I do as well, occasionally.

I just don't see how this story, as an individual one, achieved the ubiquitous reverence it has. I would give it three stars, for its clever story
Michael Cress
Dec 17, 2009 Michael Cress rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite short stories of all time.
Leah
Sep 21, 2010 Leah rated it liked it
This was such an interesting little book... if you ever have the chance to read The Jumping Frog I would recommend this edition. Why? Because it includes not only the original story, but all of the fun stuff that happened after it was published.

Basically, The Jumping Frog is a story that was told to Twain and which he subsequently wrote down and published. It's a short parable about a man who can't stop betting (and winning) and how he is eventually defeated by a trickster. At some point, the st
Nikki Hurst
In the version I read, there were a few renditions of this story, re-translated into English after being translated into another language. It was interesting. Mark Twain was unimpressed with the translations, so he though it would be clever to include them in this edition. Well played, Twain.

Short and sweet. Very descriptive. I found it interesting, but wasn't captivated.
Clara
Feb 26, 2014 Clara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a funny short story about a man who bets on everything. It's a story told to the unwilling ears of the narrator. Twain displays a masterful hand in humor. The broken vernacular used by Mr. Wheeler, makes the story sound more authentic.
Ardee-El
Feb 16, 2016 Ardee-El rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, mark, twain
Must be read to be believed. You don't get one, or even two, or even three re-tellings of the classic story, you get four: The original story as written by Mark Twain, a translation Twain found in a French periodical of the time, Twain's re-translation of the story back into English (thus explaining why he wasn't considered very funny in France) that has more literary offenses than even Fenimore Cooper, and finally another's take on the story transplanting it to ancient Greece.
Jacklynn
Feb 09, 2016 Jacklynn rated it liked it
This is an American tall tale with dialect that creates regional flavor. And as such includes much exaggeration and humor. A good example of regional writing that gives the story a sense of realism.
D.C.
Feb 04, 2015 D.C. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's humorous in a classic, Twain-esque style, and the concept is great. Just a bit abrupt and straightforward for my tastes. Perhaps it's a satire; I don't know. At least I found out what "quail shot" is.
Nicole
Jun 17, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a clever little story that takes less than 30 minutes to read aloud and leaves its reader laughing for about that same amount of time. Well worth a read if you want something quick and upbeat.
A B
Fun little short story that's a good reminder of why we love Mark Twain. I wouldn't say that it's a true classic, particularly since the jumping frog is a very small part of the overall story, but it should bring back fond memories of listening to old timers trying to out-do each other.
Nis
Apr 01, 2016 Nis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
yeah, well. Cute idea perhaps. The most interesting bit is the part at the end about how old the story is, and yet it gets told as if it isn't really a story, but a personal experience.
Donna Bijas
Shouldn't count as it was a short story and a stupid one at that. Even if written by Mark Twain. Only bought b/c it was mentioned in the AJ Fikry book. Not worth it.
Tyler
Oct 17, 2014 Tyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh...that's about as much as i'm willing to give for this. It's okay, but nothing special to scream about. Not Twain's best in my ever so humble opinion.
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • Moliere: A Biography
  • Goldilocks & Three Bears: Bears Should Share!
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • The Last Empire: Essays 1992-2000
  • The Holy Barbarians
  • A Monetary History of the United States 1867-1960
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • Monsieur Proust
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • Robert's Rules of Order
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...

“Eh bien! I no see not that that frog has nothing of better than another.” 2 likes
“I am willing to be a literary thief if it has so been ordained; I am even willing to be caught robbing the ancient dead alongside of Hopkinson Smith, for he is my friend and a good fellow, and I think would be as honest as any one if he could do it without occasioning remark; but I am not willing to antedate his crimes by fifteen hundred years. I must ask you to knock off part of that.” 2 likes