Start by marking “The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures” as Want to Read:
The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures

The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures (The Family from One End Street #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  841 ratings  ·  52 reviews
A story of everyday life in the big, happy Ruggles family who live in the small town of Otwell. The father is a dustman and the mother a washerwoman, but because they are poor the children find even greater opportunities for adventure in their ordinary lives.
Published March 25th 2004 by Puffin Books (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about The Family from One End Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Family from One End Street

Northern Lights by Philip PullmanWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Borrowers by Mary NortonMonsters of Men by Patrick Ness
Carnegie Medal Winners
13th out of 75 books — 68 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckOf Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Best Books of the Decade: 1930s
141st out of 361 books — 543 voters

More lists with this book...

Namratha
Imagine if you will,

~ bird-chirping weather.
~ the fragrance of warm, sun dried cotton clothes.
~ lying on a beach with your talkative family and wriggling your toes in the sand as you snarfed down sandwiches and slabs of fruit cake.
~ the nervous excitement of visiting your first ever unsupervised birthday party and then returning home with that pleasant tiredness.
~ your utter awe of the darkened movie theatre and the smell of popcorn tantalising your senses.
~ the small thrill of curling up in bed
Antonia
Just started it. It's not unlike Elizabeth Enright's 'Melendy Books'. Set a little earlier - 1930s not 40s - but some similar humour and sympathetic, well-drawn characters.

Finished it while on holiday. Delightful, funny, warm, and would be a great book to read aloud to older children. So refreshing to read a book so unconcerned with the 'wow' factor and a slew of marketing behind it, but relies simply on characterisation to keep you reading.

If you liked 'The Penderwicks' by Jeanne Birdsall, or
Danica
This, when I was growing up, was pretty near being The Best Book Ever. I read it over and over again, and it delighted me every time.

it still delights me. The scenes are so evocative, and the children so perfectly drawn. (Both in the writing and the adorable and funny illustrations!)

I loved learning, as an adult, that this beloved book was ground-breaking for being the first British children's book to depict the everyday lives of normal working-class kids, instead of the polished "desirable" li
Portia S
One of the most enjoyable childhood books I've ever read! It tells the tale of an obscenely poor family who are catching their asses to provide for their seven children, three girls; and four boys, one of which is a baby, a pair of twins, and one lone boy who was often found on his own, looking for a way to earn money to feed his addiction for Walt Disney cinema cartoons. Each of the children have an adventure of their own, including little baby William who enters a Baby Show! The end is one tha ...more
Preeta
The first book in another series I absolutely loved; it chronicles the adventures of the working-class Ruggles family and -- I learned recently -- was groundbreaking at the time because children's books before this tended to be about upper-class kids living safe, sterile lives. Not so the Ruggles kids, although these are still children's books so don't expect anything *too* terrible to happen to them. At least they get dirty and worry about money.
Tracy Terry
At last an award winning book - The Family From One End Street won the Carnegie Medal as the best children's book of 1937 - that I actually enjoyed.

The story of a man, his wife and their seven children which I first read as a girl. Considered ground-breaking for its portrayal of 1930's working class life (father, Josiah 'Old Jo' Ruggles, is a dustman, his wife, Rosie, a stay-at-home-mother as we might call her today who takes in laundry) when first published in 1937 it strikes me that many of th
Charmlessman77 Newall
Remember reading this book when I was very young. Loved it and it's follow ups. Reminded me of a book version of the Broons (a Scottish comic strip).
Felicity
This is a really charming book about the Ruggles Family from One End Street. They are not well off and there are seven children who all have their own adventures and get in to scrapes. I loved the different characters and enjoyed reading about the lower classes as there weren't many books written about a normal family when this book was written.

A lovely book which is all about familes and there is also a good moral compass alongside that. Very funny in places and woould be brilliant for children
Indah W
May 21, 2011

Hahaha.. ntah kenapa tiap kali mo ngambil buku untuk dibaca, gua malah akhirnya malah membaca ulang dan bukannya ngambil buku yang sama sekali belon pernah gua baca :p

Tapi yaa.. sutralaahh.. toh gua juga ngga inget jadi sekalian nge-refresh memory plus bikin review di sini, hahaha :D

~.*.~

May 22, 2011

Baru nyampe halaman 30an and sejauh ini gua udah berkenalan dengan anggota komplit dari keluarga Ruggles, mari mari gua perkenalkan kalian dengan mereka yang totalnya berjumlah 9 orang, w
scarlettraces
spoiler alert - william wins the baby show (or at least the 'best baby under 1 year' category). which event sounds like the kind of thing that would be considered not in the best of taste these days, yet a hell of a lot better for all concerned than 5-year-olds in beauty pageants.

i hadn't read this as a child, and as an adult am happily surprised by how vivid, funny and convincingly written it is, although the writer is clearly middle-class (looking up her wiki entry, she was an artist who had a
Rosy
3.5.

The Family from One End Street belongs to one of my favorite genres of book, which to my knowledge doesn't have an official name but can most closely be described as 'Nostalgia-Inducing Old Childrens' Books Featuring Quirky Large Families'. Included (among others) in this category is Elizabeth Enright's Melendy family quartet, Five Little Peppers, Trixie Belden, Bobbsey Twins, The Happy Hollisters, All-of-a-Kind Family, Half-Magic, Betsy-Tacy, and more recently The Penderwicks and the Casso
Caitlin
One of my favourite books from my childhood, although it took me years to understand some of the references: me, in a small Australian country town in the seventies, with no idea about English school exams or who painted Carnation Lily, Lily Rose. But it didn't matter. I read it till the covers fell off and the pages came apart. The illustrations are still vivid in my mind thirty something years later.
Yousra Bushehri
I found this book entertaining and yes, I did laugh out loud once or twice. It was an easy fast read and I really enjoyed getting to know this crazy family. But do I think this is an accurate representation of "social realism" of the time, Nope no no. To me, this was a romanticized and idealized version of the "working class".

But as a work of fiction and a story to read to children (or for children to read), this was fun.
Zaldi
Keluarga pak Ruggles adalah salah satu contoh keluarga "KB", eit..bukan Keluarga Berencana, tapi Keluarga Besoaarr.. bayangkan saja, mereka mempunyai Tujuh orang anak! (dua diantaranya kembar) dan tinggal di sebuah rumah diGang Buntu no.1

Namun walaupun dengan lebih dari setengah lusin anak, keluarga Ruggles hidup bahagia dan bersahaja, meskipun sang ayah hanya berprofesi sebagai tukang sampah dan sang ibu seorang tukang cuci pakaian. Enam Bab pertama dalam buku ini menceritakan kisah masing masi
Liz
I read this many times as a child and loved it. I can still remember the names of the children: Lily Rose, Kate, James and John the twins (the father had jabbed his finger on to the page of the bible which listed the Apostles in pairs and hoped he wouldn't get Philip and Bartholomew), Joe and William, and I think there was Margaret Rose as well but I don't remember anything happening to her. William nearly won a beautiful baby contest.
Mirte
The Ruggles family is a nice working-class family with A LOT of children. The novel gives a fairer representation of the working class than many other earlier children's books, but unfortunately does every now and then have the pitfall of stereotyping a little too much.
Iva
So fresh, so charming and so hard to find. And what about this amazing fact: published in 1937, it won the Carnegie Medal that year, beating J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. The Ruggles family are an English working class family--rarely depicted in children's books at that time. Mom has a home laundry business in the home and all children help out. Dad is a dustman. The seven children play all over the town (and out of it on occasion). There are none of the present stranger danger issues--everyone ...more
Angela
I just had to re-read this book from my childhood. And the fact that I could remember whole chapters of it and even some of the dialogue word for word shows how much of an impression it had made on me, and it was lovely to read again. A lovely old fashioned children's book.
Julia
The charm of this book helped me to learn to love literature, I am grateful to the author for this gift.
Erin
I love this book as it is very funny and you can always relate to at least one of the characters
JennLynn
Hadn't read this for years, but how delightful to reread. A sweet story of a working class family of seven children growing up in a small British town in the late 1930's. Life is filled with small worries and adventures ... and plenty of love and laughter. A great look at a simpler world. (And interesting to note that there was some controversy over its publication - critics felt children shouldn't be reading about lower class families - so it is a bit of a seminal work in children's literature ...more
Polly
I'm very fond of this book, it's kind of the standard, old-fashioned, kids-have-everyday-adventures kind of book, but with the difference that these are definitely disadvantaged kids. I can't say I really noticed that as a child--the Ruggles were no more or less odd to me than anyone else in old-fashioned children's books--but the author's intention was to expose the fact that many families lived in poverty, without being unduly harsh and depressing, and I think she did, so good for her!
Barbra
This book took me right back to my childhood when I did a reread. Loved this book then and still enjoyed it now.

Back Cover Blurb:
Jo Ruggles, his wife Rosie, and their seven children are a boisterous, happy-go-lucky family. This book tells of some of their more memorable escapades - like Jim's unexpected ride through the air in a large drain-pipe. The day Jo and Rosie got John's telegram. And how little Peg ended up in a London policeman's arms.
Elizabeth
Feb 15, 2010 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone and older children
I recently re-read this book, having forgotten it existed. I read it a lot as a child, and loved it and it stands the test of time. Now I'm nearly 50, it's as entertaining as it was when I was small.

The thing that strikes me most is how much life has changed. Children going off and doing their own thing and having adventures in a way that wouldn't happen now. The overwhelming emotion from the book is that the Ruggles family are happy with life.
Luann
Nice, nice, nice. Another book I would have loved when I was younger. Very reminiscent of The Moffats or The Gilbreths (even though they were a real family) from Cheaper by the Dozen if those families had been British. Very wholesome, humorous, and entertaining in a really nice way. Now I've got to see about finding a copy of those sequels: Further Adventures of the Family from One End Street and Holiday at the Dew Drop Inn.
Shaun
I thought this was a good story idea, but just too boring. The biggest issue for me was that the chapters were so long, I lost interest in the chapter virtually straight away, and only read on to reach another chapter. It was a bit boring in my opinion, but I am sure there will be many people who love it and will soon come to love it.
Shaun, 12 yrs old
Margaret
A very charming book about a working class English family . Written before World War II, it has an innocence that was soon lost. The author was also the illustrator and the illustrations really add a lot to the story. There are two sequels which I plan on reading as well.
Rahat  Asif
Oh my God I have been thinking of this book's name for a month! I read when I was a kid for my literature class and had forgotten the name. I love this book. It was a fun read and I enjoyed it alot. Would love to re read it once I get the time!
Akwest
Oct 21, 2011 Akwest added it
Lily Rose. This was the first book where I actually saw myself in a character and could relate to her. This book and the sequel have stayed with me, physically and mentally, for years. Both in my permanent library.
aisha
My great-grandmother gave me this book when I was quite young, and it quickly became one of my favorite books from childhood! I must have read this five or six times before I "grew out of it."
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • The Little Book Room
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • Circus Shoes (Shoes, #3)
  • The Little Grey Men
  • The Haunting
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • Minnow on the Say (Puffin Books)
  • Pigeon Post (Swallows and Amazons, #6)
  • A Traveller In Time
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • The Ghost of Thomas Kempe
  • The Story of the Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #1)
  • Fire, Bed, and Bone
  • Grinny
  • Mistress Masham's Repose
Further adventures of the family from One End Street Holiday at the Dew Drop Inn First Affections: Some Autobiographical Chapters Of Early Childhood A Book of the Seasons Lost And Found; Four Stories