Start by marking “Concierto barroco” as Want to Read:
Concierto barroco

Concierto barroco

This novella is a bizarre and compelling fantasy, a labyrinth-like journey laced with layers of allusions, insights and humor through the transculturation between the Old World and New
Published August 1st 2003 by LD Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Concierto barroco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Concierto barroco

Lavinia
Apr 21, 2014 Lavinia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, fiction, 2014
5 years later I find this short novel still amazing. Mind twisting, I tell you! (2014)

***

This is not a novel. This is a little piece of jewelery. I must thank Ruxandra Cesereanu for this recommendation; she's madly in love with the book and she's mentioned it several times on her blog. It was a delicious reading, especially since it took me two years to find the book. If you're into travels, music and magical realism (how does a jam session with Vivaldi, Handel, Scarlatti and a bunch of orphan y
Matthew
Jul 14, 2007 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to find this book in English translation, but if you do, read it (you may find it translated but nevertheless under its Spanish title "Concierto Barroco," as I did). It's a baroque concerto in the form of a novel. I know that makes no sense. Just trust me on this one. It's a good thing.
Alejandro
Sep 03, 2014 Alejandro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¿Se imaginan una nouvelle en la que participan Moctezuma, Vivaldi, Händel, Scarlatti, Stravinsky y Louis Armstrong?

Concierto barroco es una bella obra de arte. Divertida, inteligente, profunda. En pocas páginas pasamos por México, Cuba, España e Italia. Conocemos a Vivaldi y el nacimiento de "Motezuma", una de sus composiciones basada en la Conquista de México.

Esta obra de Carpentier es una excelente ejemplo de lo que denominó "lo real-maravilloso".

"En América todo es fábula, cuentos de Eldorad
German Patarroyo
Sep 23, 2008 German Patarroyo rated it liked it
The writing of Carpentier sometimes (to somebody that do not read hardly) is heavy...many strange vocabulary and many historical characters....this book is a good example...but do not be afraid, is a vey light piece of history and again is a particular point of view of our american folclore and its impact over Europe
Elrond24
No sé muy bien como calificar el libro. Creo que no he sido capaz de conectar con la concepción de la obra en torno a la ópera de Vivaldi, pero tampoco me ha terminado de disgustar. No es una obra que me leería por placer, pero al ser tan cortita la he disfrutado.
Hojaplateada
Dec 25, 2016 Hojaplateada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pesar que el lenguaje es algo complejo (o la narrativa), se lee bastante bien y es muy divertido
Alfredo
Dec 27, 2016 Alfredo rated it it was amazing
Realismo mágico del que vale la pena. Hasta ahora, Carpentier nunca me ha decepcionado.
Adam Cherson
Aug 28, 2016 Adam Cherson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rate this book a 3.85 on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being best. This book is a classic by one of the originators of magical realism, which he called ‘lo real maravilloso’ (the marvelously real). Especially a must read for baroque music lovers, this book imagines a jam session featuring Vivaldi, Haendel, and Scarlatti accompanied by Vivaldi’s orphan girls orchestra and a west african rumbero manservant. Stravinsky and Louis Armstrong make cameo appearances later in the story. Churrigueresque in styl ...more
Pamela
Apr 25, 2011 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro es literatura de hace muchos años, pero tiene una forma tan particular de rimar las palabras al inicio del libro con la combinación de la palabra plata y otras más de forma perfecta; este juego de rima al inicio de la narración hace que sea más interesante continuar el libro.

En Concierto Barroco encontramos diversos temas, música clásica, fiesta de carnaval en su forma original, colores, mascaras, música, y teatro.

"De plata los delgados cuchillos, los finos tenedores; de plata los pla
J.I.
Dec 18, 2012 J.I. marked it as to-read
Shelves: read-2011
Not really a novel, instead it is a musicologist's fan fiction of a Mexican criollo attending a jam session between Vivldi, Handel and Scarlatti. There is no conflict, characters are flat and the conversations are pedantary for the music snob, but without the wit (it takes no great intellect or real knowledge to declare Vivaldi one of the greats).

This isn't to say that the vivid descriptions aren't beautifully rendered--they are--but rather one would expect much more from a writer of Carpentier'
Tessa
Apr 24, 2016 Tessa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mihai
Aug 20, 2011 Mihai rated it it was ok
Un fel de Midnight in Paris, in sensul de amalgam hipsteresc de personaje, opere si momente din trecut, adunate doar de dragul de a bifa cunostinte culturale. Saritul prin epoci istorice diferite, desi interesant initial, devine mult prea lipsit de subtilitate spre final. M-a cam enervat nuvela asta. Mai lipsea ca autorul sa poarte un tricou ironic si ochelari fara lentila. Am apreciat totusi descrierile foarte vii - ma rog, unele din ele.
Gustavo Barbosa Ferreira
Jun 20, 2016 Gustavo Barbosa Ferreira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A fun novel, that rises interesting questionings in a light tone, Concierto Barroco includes many references to classical music and mixes many subjects whose existence period would be much posterior to the one depicted in it, features that greatly enrich its lyricism and symbolism.
Susana
Aug 13, 2013 Susana rated it really liked it
An intriguing story. The real wonder transported to another dimension where the bizarre is the main feature. I liked it, though don't think is recommended for very young people and it was assigned to my high school son so. Guess it's one of the things that makes kids load reading or school, maybe.
Irais Elvira
Mar 03, 2013 Irais Elvira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
a pesar de ser un libro corto lo poético de su escritura me dificultó la fluidez de lectura aun así me dejo un buen sabor de boca y frases en que pensar.
Ibis
Aug 13, 2016 Ibis rated it really liked it
Re: Concert Baroque.
This is not a review just yet. There is no comment space so I'm using this area to note I'm reading the dual language version (French/English) and enjoying it so far.
One Of Dem People
One Of Dem People rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Constanza MB
Constanza MB rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Violet
Violet rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2014
Karelia
Karelia rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Natalia Morando
Natalia Morando rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2011
Lorenzo
Lorenzo rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Kurahuma Yukama
Kurahuma Yukama rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Cassiragi
Cassiragi rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Lizette Salazar
Difícil de entender para mí!
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2017
Gonçalo Serra
Gonçalo Serra rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Mar Hurtado martín
Mar Hurtado martín rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Fausto
Fausto rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Heberquijano
Heberquijano rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
  • Los pazos de Ulloa
  • Paradiso
  • El matadero / La cautiva
  • The Art of Hunger: Essays, Prefaces, Interviews, The Red Notebook
Cuban novelist, essayist, and musicologist who greatly influenced Latin American literature during its "boom" period.

Perhaps Cuba's most important intellectual figure of the twentieth century, Alejo Carpentier (1904-1980) was a novelist, a classically trained pianist and musicologist, a producer of avant-garde radio programming, and an influential theorist of politics and literature. Best known f
More about Alejo Carpentier...

“In America everything is fantastical.” 15 likes