Up To No Good

Up To No Good (Church)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,339 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Take Me. Tempt Me. Tame Me.
Cailey Holm is definitely not a cat person, in fact, she's terrified of felines in all forms. Creating a sexy were-lion as the hero of her latest erotic romance was supposed to help her overcome that fear, but suddenly the tall, dangerous, domineering alpha-cat of her darkest dreams is standing in her living room- and then carrying her back to hi...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Kensington (first published 2009)

The Cartel by Ashley AntoinetteEvery Thug Needs a Lady by Wahida ClarkThugs and the Women Who Love Them by Wahida ClarkTrue to the Game by Teri WoodsThe Dopeman's Wife by JaQuavis Coleman
THE BEST URBAN FICTION EVER
104th out of 115 books — 122 voters
Waking with Enemies by Eric Jerome DickeyThe Other Woman by Eric Jerome DickeyResurrecting Midnight by Eric Jerome DickeySleeping with Strangers by Eric Jerome DickeyThe First Lady by Carl Weber
Books by Alphas
18th out of 90 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Sistar Tea
Dysfunctional is not the word

Its been a while since I read a Carl Weber’s book the last being Baby Momma Drama I believe. Therefore, it was time for me to get familiar with him again and I am glad I picked this book to do with. In this, unconventional read work very well. By unconventional I mean the book is written in first person and each chapter is from the viewpoint of one of the three main characters. I love the way the story came together.

There is the father James Black who doesn’t believe...more
K.augustine
Wow this book was crazy. It is definitely a page turner from the very beginning. Up to No Good has some VERY unexpected twists and turns. . . It slightly reminds me of something the wonderful author Allison Hobbs would write. Anyway, this novel is awesome. It is a quick read (probably because the font is so big) and is packed with drama drama drama.

James Black is a 48 year old successful business owner, father to Jamie and Darnel, and honest womanizer who has never been a committed relationship...more
Khyrra
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and hated to see the story come to an end. This is a twisting story of love, lust, deceit, hurt, shame, growth, lessons learned....all of it. lol
Sammienoel94
This book is by far the best book I have ever read, coming from a person who isn't quite fond of reading. Carl Weber's Up To No Good can be summed up into word: Unexpected. This book keeps you from wanting to put the book down, with the different characters and problems as the plot begins to unravel into something you would never expect. I highly recommend reading this book if you are into drama, because this book takes drama to the next level. Normally when reading a drama book, you get boyfrie...more
Regie
Honestly, I am not sure if I like this book, or if I think it was okay. It think there was too much going on, I could barely keep up with the story.
However, there were some aspect which I like: for example, like sacrifices made out of love and the reality behind the stories, especially Darnell's

***THE REST OF THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS.... PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK OR IF YOU MIND SPOILERS***

Oddly, while I could not stand Jamie at the beginning, I liked how her story...more
Lord' Williams
Most of the time I would give details on physical aspects of a book, but I read this book off my ereader. Nook format, the pages flowed nicely, no weird coding or improper formatting. This book is part of the James Black series. The book starts off with drama and ends in drama, and I like drama!

I must take my hat off to Mr. Weber. He dared to take his characters in a direction which I would have bet my last dollar that he wouldn't. Damn I would have lost! -Speaking of, which, the characters dev...more
Pearl
Apr 16, 2010 Pearl rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Yes is you Love drama!
This was my first read of Carl Weber, so I didn't know what to expect. However, I can say if you want to read some drama, please read this book. Darnel was truly in love with Keisha more obsessed I believe. I didn't really care for Jamie she was in her father's business a little to much for me, but when you are a spoiled brat (Daddy's Girl) I guess that is what you get. I couldn't believe how bad Keisha deceived Darnel for so many years poor thang he was really a fool.
Purple
I was somewhat disappointed with the way this one ended, but I still liked the book overall. There were plenty of plot twists that helped keep my interest. Some of the story was quite predictable, which I didn't like, while some of it was a total shock. While I enjoyed it, it's not one that I would put on my list of books to read again.
Carl Weber
Follow me on Twitter. http://twitter.com/CarlWeber_UB

Connect with me on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carl-We...

Check out all my interviews and trailers on. http://www.youtube.com/UrbanBooks
Shone
Jun 02, 2011 Shone rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: yes
Carl out did himself with this one, the drama , twist lies, heros, and the ending was a shocker. One of Carl's best novels drama and all.
Jessica
This book was my favorite one out of all the Carl Weber books!
Latorria Jetson
When I first started reading this novel, it was a little slow for me (although I read it in two days), but it surely picked up to where I couldn't put it down. My favorite character (save for the end) was Darnel. If you've been cheated on by someone you loved and wanted to spend the rest of your life with, you could surely relate to his character. His sarcastic sense of humor had me laughing a lot, but you still felt sorry for him majority of the time.

The daughter Jamie, was my least favorite c...more
Damera Blincoe
I had been trying to finish this book in my car for the longest time that when it really started getting good, I had to place my name on the reserve list for the actual book. If you crave drama and really want to go out of your comfort zone, this is the book to indulge in. James Black, his daughter Jaime, and his son Darnell will have you sitting on the edge of your seat as you try to comprehend what exactly is going on in their minds. It has the "oh no she didn't" feel to it that makes it a boo...more
Norman LaVelle
If you follow any of Carl Weber’s church series you have heard of Deacon James Black, and you would know he is a mess and a half. He is just the same in this book, but it goes deeper into his personal life. He has two children and they too are going through their individual problem. However just like their father they have some deep rooted issues of their own. The book was a page turner and I didn’t stop until I was finished. I had to know what was going to happen. I will not spoil it for those...more
Nicole Davis
I liked this book a lot. However, as much action that was going on..it still seemed as though it was missing something. I don't know what.

Maybe the forum, the back and forth between characters (which I normally don't mind) was not working for me. I'm not sure what it was...but something was missing (or perhaps it was too MUCH going on lol) I wan't a fan of the ending either. It was all too predictable how it ended.

It was an easy read. And The author did portray the characters in a way you felt y...more
Casi K.
Just an FYI... The description listed with the book does not apply to this book. Not sure what that is describing!!! Those are not the characters in Up To No Good.

Spoiler Alert:
Finally got through this story. Wasn't my favorite. I didn't find any of the characters sympathetic except for Louis and, of course, James at the end. I actually didn't even start enjoying the story until Darnell started going crazy. He was pretty funny. I loved the way he slowly unraveled.

I cringed every time a chapter...more
Jessica Bogan
All I can say is Carl Weber has the absolutely best plot twist ! Like OMG
Sharon
James was a trustee at chruch and was a very good one, but the only thing he was going to be with the sister's of the chruch some was maaied and some not he had anyone he want. Jamie and darnel was james children and they know how there father was until the day sandra came into his life and everything change will james stop laying with all kind of women?James kids see this and now they are seen all kind of thing's happening in there life's, and in one night james life with change and he will giv...more
Chantel
This book is twisty, entertaining and full of drama. I loved it. I could not put it down. I was able to finish it in 1 day, which is how good the book is. I would have rated it 5 stars but the ending was left so open, and although it's nice that it left my mind to wonder, and attempt to fill in the blanks, it was still not enough! So many questions left unanswered but an overall good book.
SondraSoSmooth85
Great book, When I first started reading these types of books Carl Weber was the first author I read with Baby Momma Drama...I love his style of writing there is never a dull moment, Up To No Good was great, I finished this book in 3 days and I was in tears by the end. James indeed was good man that would do anything for his children and he knows how to get it cracking with all his jump-offs he had with his old butt..lol. I would tell anyone to read this book, u will not be let down.
Holly
Nov 02, 2009 Holly rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: YES!!
Recommended to Holly by: Nobody just saw it on the shelf and I had already read something
Just got done with this book it was so good I couldn't put it down. I have now ready two of Carl Weber's books and both of them are equally good. I would recomend his books to anyone who likes a whole lotta drama! I cannot wait until his new book comes out in Feb. The nice thing about his books is they are easy readers. You don't have to be a rocket scientest to follow along. And I can guarntee once you start reading you won't stop until it's finished.
Reecee Rae
It started out a little slow to me but it was good in the end. Those kids though they didn't seem to have a clue about life. I didn't like Jamie at ALL! And Darnell needed help after that broken engagement.
Tashira Green
This book pretty much did me in, but taught me some things as well. It taught me how far a person would go for love, how deep the pain really goes, how low down and dirty some people can honestly be, how snooping around is never really acceptable, and how far a parent would really go to protect their child. It's not exactly five star material to me, but I can say that I really did enjoy this book and would read it again.
Chandra
I really liked this book. The ending was not what I expected. I have to say during all the books I respected James Black, but I did not like him. At least not until the very end. He did something that most parents probably would not do. That to me erased all bad feelings that I have had towards him in all these books.

I will say this, you just never know when someone reaches their boiling point!
Beth Miller
I had to stopped reading for a while...but when I picked it back up it was hard to put down. Ok...I got a little bored in the middle...just a bit. But there were a couple of twists in there that surprised me...which really threw me for a loop because, I am rarely surprised by what I read...and the ending? Well, let's just say that I had my mouth open for a minute...or two. LOL Good book, good read!
Tiffany
This book was really good. It shows that even though you let people know your intentions from the beginning some still seem not to understand. I was sad at the end, even though the father was a dog, i still felt bad for him. He always let them women that he slept with know actually what he wanted, so was he really in the wrong if the agreed with the actions?
Sherita Bell
What i can tell you about this book people will lie, steal, cheat to get whatever they want.The pleading doesn't make it better matters go worse admitting that you were wrong, and finding out about lung cancer ohh my god.. The way he took up for his sons insuficien actions, was mainly.Lives will be lived others will end up in termoil.

CARL.............WEBER!
Kenya
Excellent!!!! I loved this book. I can't wait to find out what Jasmin and Darnel do with the remainder of their lives as I think this is the end for good old Deacon Black. He held it down as any Player does and got caught off guard in the end. Despite his player ways he was a GOOD FATHER to the end.....
Keep up the good work CW!!!!!!
Martine
This book was "ridunkulous!!" I felt so bad for Darnel after he found out what a WHORE his fiance/girlfriend was, but after he decides he still wants to be with her everything goes from crazy to 'WTF!!!" I enjoyed it alot; after a while I only wanted to read about Darnel, and he was the biggest mess in that book!
Paula Abdullah
GOOD READ I really enjoyed this book. James' although he was not the best example of a dad, loved his children and they loved him. Whew, they all definitely had their own issues of insecurities. I loved all the twist and turns Carl Webber incorporated in the plot/characters in the book. I did feel bad for Chrystal.
  • Sweeter Than Honey
  • It's A Thin Line
  • Just Too Good to Be True
  • Can I Get a Witness?
  • Snapped
  • Too Little, Too Late
  • Single Husbands
  • The Million Dollar Deception
Carl Weber is a New York Times and #1 Essence® bestselling novelist.

In addition to his writing, Weber is the founder and publisher of Urban Books and in 2005, he was named Blackboard's Publisher of the Year. He is the owner of the Urban Knowledge chain of book stores and a past recipient of Blackboard's Bookseller of the Year award.

Weber graduated from Virginia State University and holds an MBA in...more
More about Carl Weber...
Baby Momma Drama The First Lady Something On the Side She Ain't The One So You Call Yourself A Man