Start by marking “Grandma's Wartime Kitchen: World War II and the Way We Cooked” as Want to Read:
Grandma's Wartime Kitchen: World War II and the Way We Cooked

Grandma's Wartime Kitchen: World War II and the Way We Cooked

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  11 reviews
An affectionate and informative look at women on the Home Front in the 1940s, Grandma's Wartime Kitchen presents more than 150 classic recipes (updated for today's kitchens) along with anecdotes, advertisements, advice, and archival recipes from a unique and defining period in America's history.

With details and personal voices that make the material come to life, the book
Published November 8th 2000 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Grandma's Wartime Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandma's Wartime Kitchen

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
I realized 80% of the way through the cookbook that I've read this years ago. It was so good, I'd forgotten I'd read it as a library book as I'd find a used copy and bought it for myself. I would highly recommend many of the recipes from this book. These are recipes cooked during the war years when certain foods were rationed. So that means many are low in fat as butter and shortening were rationed. Certain meats were rationed so their are recipes to stretch meat (like Monday Meatloaf) or meatle ...more
Amy
Before reading it: I was wondering the other day how WWII era folks ate, given those ration cards, and figured they probably had a pretty healthy diet and were able to eat nutritionally correct on strict budgets, so I thought I'd take a look at this.

******

After reading it: Well, there certainly are some crazy recipes in there (vegetable pancakes??) . But it was odd.... reading some of them, well, yes. My grandmother DID used to make some of those, and I could instantly remember how they tasted.
I really enjoyed this book. I thought the author did a great job compiling the various recipes and the introduction for each section was filled with interesting things about WWII that I had never known. She introduces all of the recipes and I love the reprinted wartime propaganda images and ration information along with quotes from wartime women's magazines and from women who experienced the war. I can't wait to try so many of the recipes, and I got to try the beet relish from this book that a f ...more
Dani
This is a book of WWII-era recipes along with remembrances from women who were teenagers and young married women in the 1940s. I picked it up to give me ideas of how to used the produce from my version of a victory garden, but I found that I enjoyed the information about rationing and war-time sacrifices more than the actual recipes. The spirit of cheerfully trying to satisfy your family during the lean times is what I will take away from reading this book.
LibraryDanielle
I love cookbooks, so I've been savoring this one. each chapter has a historical introduction on the whys and how the recipes in the chapter were developed. I found it really neat.
the recipes are interesting, weird, and sometimes gross, but there were quite a few I plan of trying (especially the sweets!). this might be good for a family struggling with today's prices. there were lots of tips on 'stretching' food.
Erika
I loved this one. A couple pages of facts and history before each chapter of recipes fascinated me. There were pictures and anecdotes and ads from WWII. A lot of these recipes reminded me of things my grandmother made and brought back some good memories. Some of these would be good for right now as well with food so expensive.
Jaime David
I actually read the baking version of this book, but I thought it was very educational to read a cookbook that has a point of view from history. I learned a lot about substitutions for baking in general and the recipes were all very good, especially the potato bread.
Rose Ann
A great cookbook filled with recipes, ads, pictures from WW2, and gives insight into what it was like to cook when everything was rationed. Fascinating and also a lot of the recipes are very good!
Terri
Pretty interesting book. Lots of narrative about how and why foods were rationed. Lots of pictures of the posters that were used to promote rationing "for the boys".
Toni
I enjoyed this book, but I also read a lot about food history. Some personal stories, some recipes--just an interesting read.
Sharon
Amazing book! I love the recipes and the info that goes with them! I want this one for my own shelf!
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Liesl Ross
Liesl Ross marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Amanda Moore
Amanda Moore marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Sarah added it
Feb 01, 2015
Lou LaJeunesse
Lou LaJeunesse marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Adrienne E Chaplin
Adrienne E Chaplin marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Loveblind
Loveblind marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Dana Heaton
Dana Heaton marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Grandma's Wartime Baking Book: World War II and the Way We Baked 365 Great Cookies and Brownies Cookies! Good Housekeeping Favorite Recipes (Favorite Good Housekeeping Recipes) Weekend Kitchen, The:: Menus and Recipes for Relaxed Entertaining and Family Fun The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables