Rebar Modern Food Cookbook

Rebar Modern Food Cookbook

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Since 1988, Rebar Modern Food has been Victoria's favorite restaurant and juice bar, featuring fresh, healthy, predominantly vegetarian fare. The upbeat atmosphere and vibrant, tasty food have led critics to describe Rebar as "inventive, " "hip, " and "visionary." The "Rebar Modern Food Cookbook" can be used by everyone -- strict vegans, vegetarians (full and part-time!),...more
Published November 1st 2001 by Big Ideas Publishing

Lauren
The pivotal moment in my cooking life happened when I picked up this cookbook. Although we don't eat a lot of meat, we are by no means vegetarians. This book breaks down the boundaries of labeling how you eat. It's just amazing food. Whether you add a meat course to the dishes in this book, or prepare a meatless meal - you probably won't miss anything. I have cooked most of the recipes in here and have loved them all. Packed with tons of flavor, utilizing real food and well written, tested recip...more
Jenny
Jul 01, 2011 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jenny by: the spinach linguine made by Pepper
Shelves: subject-matter
I hear Victoria, British Columbia is a pretty hip place so perhaps it’s reflected in this cookbook. Most of the recipes are vegetarian (some call for shrimp or fish sauce) and there are lots of Asian influences here but also Latin, hippie, European, and seasonal California-style. I recognized a few recipes that are similar to ones in the Greens restaurant cookbooks.

I like their sauces and dressings recipes. They take a bit of time and some specialty shopping but are well worth it. The peanut sa...more
Finn
Jan 10, 2012 Finn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vegetarians, vegans, foodies, meat eaters
You wouldn't think a self-confessed carnivore like me would be in to a vegetarian, often vegan, cookbook (and restaurant) like this one... but I LOVE it. Growing up in Victoria, BC, Rebar was always one of my favourite restaurants. They use very little 'meat-substitutes' in their cuisine (no tofurkey or faux reconstituted vegan "sausages" here) just beautiful ingredients and stunning flavours. Never once did I find myself missing meat at this lovely spot.

I highly recommend this as a great cookbo...more
Kristie Saumure
Many classics in here, the best being the homemade baked beans and their veggie (mushroom) burgers. The recipes can be time consuming, but generally well worth it.
Heather
Whenever I am in Victoria I make it point to have at least one meal at the Rebar. In an attempt bring the restaurant home with me I bought their cookbook some number of years ago. The black bean burgers are incredible and a staple in my home, as is their banana bread. You may think `its just banana bread` but this recipe proves that all banana bread is not created equal. My only issue with this book is that the ingredients needed for each recipe tend to be extensive and involve one to two more s...more
Lindsay Joy
I wish there were more warnings on the sheer time involved in many recipes. So far I have made one incredibly delicious (but possibly the most time consuming thing I have ever made) recipe (Enchiladas con calabacitas) and one utterly disappointing but similarly time-consuming (roasted butternut squash soup that ended up tasting absolutely nothing of squash - just hot orange juice). I don't mind taking awhile to make something delicious, but damn! That's all I'll say.

A friend told me the chocola...more
Miranda
Love, love, love this book. My absolute favourite cookbook of all time. I have loved everything I have made out of this- from soups to pastas to desserts to drinks- everything is so bold, flavourful and plain yummy! It also has great instructions on making the basics of any kitchen (such as roasted garlic and fresh sauces). I especially love their Thai peanut stir-fry sauce, tomato basil pasta sauce, enchiladas, Greek lentil soup, roasted veggie quesadillas, the list goes on...
Kandice
Given that it is put out by one of my favourite local restaurants, I can't bring myself to rate it lower than 5 stars, although many of the recipes have long ingredients lists and there is quite a lot of flipping around involved. Still, it has some delicious twists on classic vegetarian food (including my absolute favourite veggie burger recipe, which has saved me from starving at many summer barbeques) and plenty of new ideas.
Katherine
Fantastic cookbook! I received this as a gift last Christmas, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading through it and trying out recipes. My only hesitation in recommending this book is that some recipes use ingredients that are hard to find/uncommon, and some have fairly long lists of ingredients, which can be intimidating. Otherwise, 5 stars!
Saylaveev
amazing food from a local hotspot. So tasty, actually pretty easy to do. Always great tasting. My only complaint is they aren't specific enough with how to treat tofu. They assume you have some skill. Thank goodness my hubby doesn't eat tofu so I substitute in meat/seafood when I'm cooking at home and just enjoy it when I'm at the resturaunt.
Evie
The food in this book is a bit more elaborate than I have ever dared to try, and frankly I don't know what some of the ingredients are. I still marked about 25 pages with things I want to test. It really got me thinking about trying to cook in a new direction and flavours that are a far cry from my usual bland/meat-and-potatoes fare.
Mj
Excellent cookbook. I go to it often to search out their very flavourable, around the world fusion recipes. Much of the recipes are vegatarian or vegan and clearly marked. Bought the book on sale years ago and browse through it regularly. Have tried and repeated a number of the recipes.
Adrienne
I went to this restaurant when I was visiting Victoria, on Vancouver Island. Awesome vegetarian/pescatarian food. The book has fantastic recipes, that include Pacific Northwest/Japanese flavors. Also tells little stories about the chefs, folks who work there. Love this place, love the cookbook!
tee
Jun 24, 2011 tee marked it as to-read
Shelves: food, i-own
I want this book solely because of this recipe. I could live on these chocolate zucchini muffins. LIVE.ON.THEM. If the other recipes in this book are as good as that one then I will die one happy, fat lady.
AMAZING cookbook. I use this book all the time, and have hardly been disappointed. I make the greek red lentil soup almost every other week. I highly recommend this cookbook!
Kirstin
A great staple vegetarian cookbook--lots of solid vegetarian recipes...and a few that fit perfectly into a non-vegetarian meal too. The chocolate cake is second to none.
Amy
I love this cookbook. Everything I have made has been excellent. The chocolate cake recipe is amazingly delicious. Will have to make it to the restaurant one of these days!
Kerri
I use this cookbook nearly every day. Always inspiring! Colourful, healthy and delicious veggie food. Baking recipes are not so reliable but outstanding salads and soups!!
Eynat
I had the good fortune to eat at the restaurant in Victoria, BC, and the food was incredible... this really is one of the most inspired vegetarian cook books I've come across.
Betsy
Every recipe is delicious so far. Many get better with age. So make up a dish and have lunch for the next few days. I would love to someday eat the the restaurant.
Patrice C
Can't sing enough praises. The recipes are delicious! It's my go-to book for great vegetarian food that everyone, including meat-loving friends, enjoy so much.
Liz
Deliciousness beyond your wildest dreams. Easiest to make (and most affordable!) on the west coast, where ingredients are more available.
Ross Jenkins
Monk's Curry. My new favourite dish.

Went to the restaurant not long ago. Fantastic. Went back for breakfast the next day.
Jessica
This is a supremely sophisticated mostly vegetarian cookbook. If for no other reason, get it for the savoury bread pudding.
Great weekend cooking. These recipes have a lot of ingredients, just substitute and don't worry about it too much.
Awkwaphobia
Okay, so most of the recipes are a bit too involved for me but every one I've made is amazing! The format is fun too
Shayla
Another great, but not easy, cookbook. Creative and tasty. The dog cookies are very popular!
letterbyletter
Delicious! A good range of simple to complex vegetarian/pescaterian fare.
Shannon
Recipes in this book take time, but each one is worth the effort.
Briana Nervig
Feb 17, 2008 Briana Nervig rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys food, particularly West Coast Vegetarian food
Recommended to Briana by: Me
Shelves: food-travel
One of my favorite restaurants in Victoria....the cookbook rocks too!