Start by marking “Gwiezdny pył ” as Want to Read:
Gwiezdny pył

Gwiezdny pył

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  186,671 ratings  ·  8,770 reviews
Przepiękna poetycka powieść o miłości w tradycji „Narzeczonej Księcia” i „Niekończącej się opowieści”, nagrodzona prestiżową nagrodą Mythopeic Fantasy Award. To kolejna powieść Neila Gaimana, laureata Word Fantasy Award, znanego w Polsce z powieści „Nigdziebądź” oraz „Dobry Omen”, napisanej wspólnie z Terrym Pratchettem.
Pewnej nocy młody Tristan Horn obiecuje swej narzeczo
Published February 24th 2006 by MAG (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Gwiezdny pył, please sign up.

hannahdacanada I was quite surprised too, but not to such an extent! To be perfectly honest (as much as I love Neil Gaiman), I preferred the movie. According to the…moreI was quite surprised too, but not to such an extent! To be perfectly honest (as much as I love Neil Gaiman), I preferred the movie. According to the reviews, the possibility of you enjoying the book even more is great. Give it a try! I'll also mention that he wrote "Coraline" (which was turned into a movie about five years ago). (less)
Erin Martin No, it's not. The movie is for sure, but the book has a sex scene in the beginning that is kind of graphic and some graphic language.

L.h.
Dear Mr. Gaiman,

Damn you. Damn you straight to hell. You've written beautiful faerie stories in your plainspoken postmodern prose, and left my own projected frontiers woefully trodden. It has nothing to do with your brilliance. Had I been born before you I would most likely be the one writing clever novels about fallen stars and sly gods. I would've, I swear!

But instead, I was born forty years too late, and your Faerie, Neil, -do you mind if I call you Neil? Your Faerie, like all of your creatio
Jen
Feb 06, 2008 Jen rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard Neil Gaimon Fans
Shelves: fantasy
Kirstine
This is the one case, the ONLY case (so far), where I prefer the movie to the book. I know it's a sacrilege and you can all burn me at the stake, but it is nonetheless the truth. It's also one of the few times I watched the movie before reading the book, simply because I had no idea the book existed. And I loved the movie. I mean, really, really loved it.

So of course when I discovered it was based on a book, I rushed to get it. Now, please don't get me wrong, it's a good book. It's a very very
Lola
*3.5 of 5 shooting stars*

description

‘‘For a kiss, and the pledge of your hand,’’ said Tristran, grandiloquently, ‘‘I would bring you that fallen star.’’ He shivered. His coat was thin, and it was obvious that he would not get the kiss, which he found puzzling.

The main heroes of the penny dreadfuls and shilling novels never had these problems getting kissed.

‘‘Go on, then,’’ said Victoria. ‘‘And if you do, I will.’’

‘‘What?’’ said Tristran.

‘‘If you bring me that star,’’ said Victoria, ‘‘The one that just
Emily May
The more Gaiman I read, the more I understand why people are so caught up in the magic he wields. Because that is basically what he does. He's not an author, he's a magician, painting magic pictures of rich, exciting worlds that come to life so quickly. Worlds that somehow seem complexly developed after just two chapters of Gaiman's writing. Gaiman is simply a master storyteller. He creates moods that permeate entire novels and, whether you happen to be reading his adult or young adult works, he ...more
Kathryn
Since I saw the movie before I read the book, I must preface my review with that fact since a comparison between the two was inevitable and, moreover, greatly influenced my opinion of the book. I loved the movie! I liked the book. Unlike most book-to-film adaptations, however, I felt that the movie had more character development and more details; and, indeed, more heart and more humor. I cannot objectively consider the merits of the book because I missed so many aspects of the movie-story as I r ...more
Kat Kennedy
Quick question: how many Daleks does it take to conquer Neil Gaiman?

Answer: I don't know - since I am a blasphemous wench and have never seen a Doctor Who episode. Nor do I actually know what a Dalek is and what it does.

To add to my nefarious ways, I'm also not a Gaiman fan (though not for lack of trying!)

Clearly, whilst I am a scifi fan - I'm not the RIGHT kind of scifi fan!

It's rather like two Star Trek fans meeting on the street:

"So which episode of Enterprise is your favourite?" The first T
Rabindranauth
How far would you go for love? And more importantly, what might you find when you get there? Neil Gaiman takes a look at this in what is inarguably one of his richest fairy tales to date.

When Tristran Thorn tells Victoria Forrester he would give her a star if she would give him a kiss, he certainly wasn't expecting her to take him up on his offer. Pointing out a falling star, Victoria asks him to retrieve it for her, and so Tristran heads out on a fantastical journey on which he will discover th
Savanna
My high expectations for this book (the first I've read of Gaiman's) were badly disappointed. The writing was poor, the story cliché and shallow, and the content problematic. I've read that Gaiman is better with graphic novels, and that seems likely. He obviously has some talent, so I'm hoping this book is just a miss.

One issue I had with Stardust was the writing itself. Gaiman tries to write an "adult fairy tale" with what I think are terrible results. The tone is light-hearted and sarcastic, b
Maciek
To tell the truth, I didn't believe it was possible. My copy of "Stardust" promises so much just by images on the cover - and the volume is so slim, barely reaching 200 pages. How will all these events and characters fit in such slim space? - I asked myself, and started reading on the evening of October, 2nd. By 4AM, October 3rd, I learned that not only it is possible, but also that Neil Gaiman is a talented, gifted writer with gorgeous imagination and invaluable, rare talent for recreating the ...more
Tadiana
Neil Gaiman and I have a love-hate relationship, and I hope that bothers him as much as it bothers me. He's a gifted writer and I keep thinking that I ought to love everything he writes, but so far his books have struck me either as:

• so bizarre and off-putting that I couldn't get into it <---American Gods,
• hauntingly beautiful but kind of confusing <---The Ocean at the End of the Lane, or
• having a marvelous setting but being a little on the predictable side <---Neverwhere.

Stardust f
Jonathan

Stardust follows the adventure of one Tristran Thorn from his unusual birth through to his eventual marriage. Well this is a modern fairytale for older audiences after all. He desires to win the love of one girl called Victoria whom he names the most beautiful of all. And to win her love he must hunt down a star fallen from the sky who has ended up deep within Faerie. And so begins a most unusual adventure at once reminiscent of The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland an
Ben
I can only do fantasy novels every so often; I much prefer literature. Still, I find it important to read these things on occasion, because they provide such an excellent escape: that leap into worlds that are nothing like ours; the way they enable our going beyond ourselves and render us capable of expanding our consciousness; the way they can temporarily alter us in ways non-fantasy novels are incapable. We could all use that kind of escape once in a while.

And Stardust was great for just that.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Very cute adult fairytale.

I think this is one of the few times that I preferred the movie to the book. That isn’t to say that I didn’t like the book but I think the movie expanded on a few of the ideas and the ending was very different. I might have liked the movie more only because I loved it and I saw it first.
Jason Koivu

A magically good read!

Stardust has been the most fanciful Neil Gaiman book I've read so far. This farcical fantasy might be a tad silly, but he makes it work. I felt drawn to the main characters, repulsed by the villains and enchanted by the story and imagery. It has a bit of an everything-in-the-fantasy-genre-and-the-kitchen-sink feel to it and some might say that many of the elements are not unique. But in my eyes, this is a Gaiman original masterpiece, regardless of what ingredients he used.
Seak (Bryce L.)
I've always considered myself a Neil Gaiman fan, but then I realized how can that be? Yes, I watched the movie Stardust and I DID read Good Omens...but wait. I never actually read a book solely by Neil Gaiman.

What kind of fan does that make me? A terrible one (if you were wondering about the answer).

But now, all that's changed...kinda. I'm still a crappy fan, but a fan nonetheless, one who's actually read a book solely written by the author. This will also not be the last. I loved Stardust.

The
Kim

"There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart's Desire."

So it begins. Fine. Yep. These are the stuff fairy tales are made from-blahblahblah. Sure thing. What else you got?

I really don’t get the point of this novella. I mean, yes, I see that there once was a man who made a journey to capture the uncapturable (a fallen star) for the woman that he loves. Wait. Does he really love her? Do I really care? I spent half the book thinking his name was Tristan not Tristran, so I guess the answ
Kevin
I am becoming something of a Neil Gaiman fan. It started, as much has these days, with my Kindle. I was browsing for some inexpensive books that I could read and stumbled upon Stardust. And just to prove how clueless I can be, I didn't realize this had been made into a movie until after I had finished reading it. I was vaguely aware that the movie had come out but I just never made the connection between the book and movie in my mind (more about my reaction to the movie later.)

I enjoyed American
Haley
It is my experience that the movie versions of books are usually not as good as the book itself. So after watching the movie, I thought I was in for a real treat.
but I was wrong.

In Gaiman's defence, this book was written in the style of an old adventure story or Grimm brother's tale- not so much description or character development. But while that sort of writing may work for a short story, It gets old in a full-length book. (though I'm glad it was a book- otherwise we wouldn't have the movie!)
Farah
Dear Neil Gaiman,
Anda ganteng.
Terima kasih sudah menulis kisah luar biasa ini.
Dengan jalan cerita yang begitu indah, mendebarkan, cerdas, serta manis jalinannya.

Anda benar. Orang dewasa terkadang membutuhkan dongengnya sendiri.
Saya, yang saat ini berumur 27 tahun, masih belum sepenuhnya berani mengklaim diri saya sebagai orang dewasa.

Ada kalanya saya merasa terperangkap di dalam tubuh berusia 27 tahun, sedangkan jiwa saya masih irresponsible dan childish layaknya anak berusia 14 tahun.
Iya, saya
John Beeler
I saw the movie first, and read the book second.

Gaiman does a great job of convincing readers that the world of Fairie could and does exist. And like all good fantasy, it's clear that the borders don't stop with his pages. Indeed, that the movie expands on aspects like the three witches and the lightning pirates, where the book spends barely any time at all, shows that there's many more stories to tell in the world of Fairie.

Gaiman is out to make an adult fairy tale, and I suppose he does, but
Will Byrnes
This is a charming journey of self-discovery on the part of a character who has a dual nature, human and fairy. He makes it work for himself, with the assistance of sundry others. He begins his journey seeking his heart’s desire, only to find by the time he returns home that what he truly values has changed. The characters are…well..fairy tale characters and we should not be looking for great depth here. There is darkness, evil and real risk for our nicer types, and bad guys who are really, real ...more
Brenda
The town of Wall was set amidst a small forest a long drive from London – to the east of Wall was built, many years ago, a high rock wall (which was how Wall was named), each end of which entered the woods. Midway along was the one and only break in the wall, which was guarded day and night to stop anyone, but children in particular, from passing through the wall and entering Faerie, a magical place where they would likely never return. Once every nine years, on May Day, a fair would be held jus ...more
Madeline
"The town of Wall stands today as it has stood for six hundred years, on a high jut of granite amidst a small forest woodland. The houses of Wall are square and old, built of grey stone, with dark slate roofs and high chimneys; taking advantage of every inch of space on the rock, the houses lean into each other, are built one upon the next, with here and there a bush or tree growing out of the side of a building.
...Immediately to the eat of Wall is a high grey rock wall, from which the town take
Steven
I absolutely adored this book! It was different enough from the film (one of my absolute favorites) to say I loved them equally and similar enough to help me imagine the world more easily.

I will definitely read more Neil Gaiman novels. I regret that it has taken me this long. :)
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Now I love fairy tales, and I love fantasy, but Stardust I did not love. With all of the hype over this book and the movie - which I've yet to see - I expected to like Stardust instantly but that didn’t happen, and after the first fifty pages I was looking for the ending - an unusual thing for me.

Despite being all of 200 pages it has taken me three days to read from beginning to end, with only the last 70 pages flowing easily. The language appears to be written for children but then there are s
Dini
Finally finished this book after six days and an array of distractions.

It was an enjoyable read! A true fairy tale with all the wonder, adventure and magical creatures--and a lot of humor as well. The story tells about the faerie world which is only separated by a wall from the human world. The young, innocent hero Tristran Thorn decides to venture to the other side of the wall in search of a falling star to win the heart of his loved one. But little did he know that some others are also after t
Jackie "the Librarian"
Wow, a Neil Gaiman book that doesn't try to be deep and dark, but is just a good straightforward fantasy. Okay, there are a few dangerous elements here, but not like in American Gods. This is more like The Princess Bride, fun, romantic, with a little danger, but you know it's going to end up okay.
A young man vows to bring back a fallen star in hopes of winning the girl he loves. His search takes him into the world of fairies and magic, on the other side of the gateway his village lies next to.
Helen
Another beautiful book from Neil Gaiman. A modern, wholly unique fairy tale with modern sensibilities but old fashioned charm. I didn't like it quite as much as Neverwhere, my personal favorite Gaiman, but I loved it all the same. I had previously seen the movie and would recommend both without reservation.
Literary Lions: Book Club Meets Today!! 4 3 10 hours, 16 min ago
Literary Lions: Alexandra is the WINNER! 1 4 Dec 13, 2014 10:53AM
Literary Lions: The first hold is in! 1 4 Dec 06, 2014 12:57PM
Literary Lions: BIG MISTAKE 2 6 Dec 03, 2014 02:11PM
Ask Amanda Palmer...: Stardust 2 42 Nov 21, 2014 06:08PM
Novel Books &amp;...: Gaiman, Neil - Stardust - "Relaxed" Buddy Read - Read the book & watch the movie - Start January 25 2014 64 234 Nov 14, 2014 01:19PM
  • Fire and Hemlock
  • The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories
  • A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32) (Tiffany Aching, #2)
  • Widdershins (Newford, #16)
  • Alphabet of Thorn
  • The Unicorn Sonata
  • Un Lun Dun
  • Rose Daughter (Folktales #2)
  • Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1)
  • The Lions of Al-Rassan
  • Tam Lin
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere The Ocean at the End of the Lane

“She says nothing at all, but simply stares upward into the dark sky and watches, with sad eyes, the slow dance of the infinite stars.” 2400 likes
“Have been unavoidably detained by the world. Expect us when you see us.” 736 likes