The Life and Opinions of the Tomcat Murr

The Life and Opinions of the Tomcat Murr

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  558 ratings  ·  33 reviews
It was E. T. A. Hoffmann (1776-1822) who first explored many of the themes and techniques which were later used by writers from Dickens to Dostoyevsky, Poe to Kafka, Baudelaire to Marquez. His career reached a glorious climax in The Tomcat Murr, perhaps the strangest novel of the nineteenth century.. "Hoffmann was a follower of Cervantes and Sterne, a pioneering 'magic rea...more
Published November 1st 1999 by Penguin Classics (first published 1816)

To ask other readers questions about The Life and Opinions of the Tomcat Murr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life and Opinions of the Tomcat Murr

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Great "Cat" Books
40th out of 887 books — 405 voters
The Metamorphosis by Franz KafkaThe Trial by Franz KafkaAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueFaust by Johann Wolfgang von GoethePerfume by Patrick Süskind
Best German/Austrian Literature
126th out of 503 books — 474 voters

More lists with this book...

dely
3,5

Murr è un gatto colto e intelligente che ama la lettura e si dedica con impegno anche alla scrittura. Il libro, infatti, è un'autobiografia in cui Murr non solo parla della sua vita ma esprime anche le sue considerazioni sulla società. Murr, però, per scrivere la sua biografia, usa dei fogli che contenevano la biografia di Kreisler, un altro personaggio di Hoffmann. Le due biografie in questo modo si sovrappongono e l'editore stampa un libro che contiene le due biografie che s'intrecciano e s...more
J.T. Wilson
It's always rewarding when you read a book like this - two hundred years old and full of references to bourgeois German society - and find that it is genuinely funny, that the humour transcends cultural and historical boundaries. Here, the characteristics of the pretentious, deluded cat Murr and the intense, anti-social composer Kriesler are easily identifiable in any era.

Murr engages in a sort of bildungsroman, starting off as a precocious kitten fond of half-reading classics and amusing himse...more
Dan
I've been wanting to read this book ever since I read a collection of ETA Hoffmann's stories 2 years ago-ish. So far it is as enjoyable as I had hoped and expected it to be.

---------

After finishing: I must say after the initial novelty of the form, characters and setting wore off, I didn't enjoy this book all that much and it was a struggle to see it through to the end. My main criticisms: The Kreisler plot is so convoluted and every time it begins to pick up, a Murr chapter breaks the momentum....more
Katie
I am so glad I picked up this book (enticed by the cover engraving of the handsome titular cat). Murr will make you laugh out loud. Highlights were his encounters with Ponto the poodle, especially their first meeting. The other story, about the composer Kreisler, was not as immediately accessible but soon pulled me in. It's really a pretty amazing technical feat for Hoffman to have pulled together these two stories that are so different in tone in such a way that they're pretty much equally enjo...more
David
Always a fan of E.T.A. Hoffmann I was not disappointed by this tale of a self aware cat and his journey through life. Though not as compelling as The Tales of Hoffmann there was a lot to recommend this work of Fabulist Satire. Though considered his masterpiece, I found the Tales of Hoffmann more enjoyable -- but this is a personal choice and not meant to be read for an objective statement.

Essentially, it is the story of the self-taught cat Tomcat Murr who has written is own autobiography which,...more
Vaida Dryžaitė
Vos išvydusi šįmetinėj Knygų mugėj šį romaną, kaip kreizi kačių moteraitė tiesiog negalėjau neįtraukti jo į savo Knygų-Kurias-Reikia-Perskaityt-Kuo-Greičiau-Arba-Antraip-Ateis-Pasaulio-Pabaiga-Sąrašą. Taigi, XIX a. vokiečių romantiko Hoffmano romanas, drąsiai ir ne šiaip sau vadinamas klasika. Originalus siužetas (iš tiesų, iki tol neteko nieko tokio skaityti), susipynusios dvi tokių skirtingų ir drauge tokių panašių herojų istorijos, keliamos meno, mokslo, religijos problematikos - tai daro kūr...more
Brian Baker
Sometimes one good book leads to another, and as 'Tomcat Murr' is referenced in a recent favourite of mine - Andrew Crumey's 'Mobius Dick'- I thought I'd give it a go. It's a really nice idea: two manuscripts, one a satirical biography of a tortured musician and the other an autobiography of an educated cat, get accidentally spliced together at the printers ( so that's where Calvino got his idea from ) into a single book whose narratives constantly interrupt eachother. The problem I found, howev...more
K8
Fabulous! I just wish that Hoffmann had lived long enough to write the third book/section. We're left with a cliffhanger that will never be resolved (although I can imagine all sorts of fan fiction possibilities).

The stories of both Murr and Kreisler are fragmentary, fun, suspenseful, action-filled romps. And with all of that, they also contain fantastical and gothic elements.

I will need to read this again so that I can better explain the ways this book works for me.
Deanne
Good but it could have been better if the two stories didn't keep breaking off when the story was getting interesting. The story about the music master was the more convoluted plot, with strange characters and plot devices which appear frequently in books of this age.
Ann Klefstad
this dazzling performance proves that recursiveness and postmodernism have occurred time and time again, and are sometimes performed with blood in their veins, positively effervescent blood! This is a wonderful and perplexingly overlooked book.
Saira.c
Loved this book. I get the impression that folks are more familiar with Hoffmann's other works (The Sandman, Tales from Hoffmann etc.) but this too is a gem. Well worth reading if you have an interest in the literary fantastic!
Yrinsyde
One of the first magical realist novels and 'one of the strangest novel of the nineteenth century'. A fun read with some surreal moments and some rather rambling bits that ended up being a little tiring. Some bits were laugh-out-loud hilarious (hint hint!) with a little more than a sprinkling of gothic horror plus some very tear-jerking moments (especially if you are a cat lover, which Hoffman was). The introduction is very interesting and worth a read too, but I would read it after the reading...more
Rufat
This is becoming rather irritating, than being unusual and moreover, even a bit unreal and live at the same time. Cat's feelings and tales are tedious and monotonous. Well, have to admit this is still unbelievably talented creature, which in turn does allow us to judge him differently and the result of this judgement is not in his favour.
Human drama and feelings are just the opposite throughout the book. From being annoyingly artificial, chatacters blossom to the end of it.
Another regret is that...more
Cornelia
This is one of the few editions (or the only one?) that has the original and full story of the book, even though it's Reclam. It's the best edition of this book I have found so far.

E.T.A. Hoffmann never ceases to amaze me; what he managed to do with this book is something I have not seen/read since.

It was very confusing at first, but once I had sorted the book into two parts, it got less confusing and actually understood what the author was trying to do.

I can only recommend it to students of Ger...more
Kit Kincade
Because German Romanticism!
Nathan
This was a strange one. Two interwoven and overlapping stories, one written by a cat about his life and adventures and the other a version of 19th century courtly melodrama. Both were widely interspersed with rambles on Art, Music, Poetry and so on, which made them hard to wade through at times. But there were also sections of sublime foolishness and flights of whimsy (the cat duel is a doozy). I think of this one as fibre in my mental diet. 2.5/5
Eric
My book of the year, 2012! Difficult to persevere with but well worth it. The memoirs of Tom Cat Murr make the most amusing reading but the biographical life of the musician is typical 19 century European Romanticism with not so typical irony. A quirky, comical, surreal unfinished masterpiece!
Amy
I just couldn't finish this. Not only was the type font frustratingly small, but apparently my brain is, too - or maybe I just don't read 'cat' well. I found it confusing as hell. :P

Thanks, Mike, for the lovely gift. I'm sorry I couldn't do it justice.
Vanessa
My friend's German boyfriend was impressed that I was even attempting to read this, so points for that. It's whimsical and amusing, but I think it gets tiresome after a while. Also, unsatisfying ending much! I don't think that's giving anything away.
Toyvo
Проблема этой книги в том, что она сатира. В ее почтенном возрасте, когда большинство реалий неактуальны, это интересно читать лишь как исторический экскурс. Но книга отлично написана, Гофман клевый.
Leyla Izbenko
My most favourite book of this Author... funny, a bit naive, but very positive, presented in such a simple language... when u read it you feel like taking part in a game!
It just makes you smile...
Anne
Mar 26, 2012 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
What a genius! I'm so thrilled, I really regret that there's no following 3rd part as announced and planned ... sometimes life's just unfair. But this novel belongs to the best stuff!!!
Ausra Susinskaite
Didn't expect the content would be so sophisticated. Hard to read but definitely worth it. Though ending was very disappointing.
Annap
Jun 03, 2012 Annap added it
Read in Hugarian: Murr Kandúr Életszemlélete (valamint Johannes Kreisler karmester töredékes életrajza)
Ira Bespalova
For some reason this novel turned out to be an extremely difficult read.
. اليازية خليفة
Apr 22, 2013 . اليازية خليفة marked it as to-read
Shelves: روايات
Didn't finish it yet.. But I'm so much in love with the idea of the book!! <3
John
Its a lol-random type of book from the old days.
Nino Purtseladze
Every crazy cat lady must read this book!
Aras
Mercy Medina
Cuando tenga un gato, se llamará Murr.
  • Henry von Ofterdingen
  • Anton Reiser: A Psychological Novel (Penguin Classics)
  • Green Henry
  • Memoirs of My Nervous Illness
  • Joseph and His Brothers
  • The Cathedral
  • Camera Obscura
Ernst Theodor Wilhelm Hoffmann, better known by his pen name E. T. A. Hoffmann (Ernst Theodor Amadeus Hoffmann), was a German Romantic author of fantasy and horror, a jurist, composer, music critic, draftsman and caricaturist. His stories form the basis of Jacques Offenbach's famous opera The Tales of Hoffmann, in which Hoffman appears (heavily fictionalized) as the hero. He is also the author of...more
More about E.T.A. Hoffmann...
The Nutcracker Der Sandmann Tales of Hoffmann Das Fräulein von Scuderi (Reclam Universal-Bibliothek, Nr. 25) The Devil's Elixirs

“Wer kann es sagen, wer nur ahnen, wie weit das Geistesvermögen der Tiere geht!” 4 likes
“Je mehr Kultur, desto weniger Freiheit, das ist ein wahres Wort.” 2 likes