Start by marking “The Revenge of the Rose (Elric, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Revenge of the Rose (Elric, #9)

The Revenge of the Rose (The Elric Saga #9)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  1,324 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The Revenge of the Rose is Michael Moorcock's newest, most captivating novel of Elric, the mad albino warrior with the vampire Black Sword. Now, Elric returns on the wings of a dragon to the ruined place of his birth, the Dreaming City. There, in the catacombs of his ancestors, he hears the tortured voice of his dead father. But to save his father's soul from eternal suffe ...more
Published October 1st 1994 by Ace (first published May 9th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Revenge of the Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Revenge of the Rose

Randolph Carter
One of Moorcock's more tightly plotted longer pieces. It doesn't have so much of that make-it-up-as-you-go feel to it. Imagining different places and questioning tradition is what Moorcock's world building is all about. This one has a nice finish as Moorcock lets Elric get one up on everyone. It almost feels like Moorcock is getting very sentimental about his albino prince.

You will be astounded by the vision of the Gypsy Nation endlessly wandering the planet in their massive wooden cities.
Chris
Aug 28, 2010 Chris rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Elric/Moorcock completists
This was my second time though this book, and I'm still not really sure how I felt about it. At times, I was mesmerized and awed by the scope of Moorcock's descriptive style, and at others I wanted to pitch it into an open flame.

If a good editor got ahold of this book and weeded out all the extra adjectives and rambling style of weaving philosophy into a narrative, we could have this thing cut down to about a third of its length and it would make a pretty damn good novella.

As it is, we have a ph
Keith
It seems like a lot of Elric fans are kinda down on this installment of the eternal saga, but I can't really see why. Moorcock's voice here seems to have matured well, and I found it on the whole quite an enjoyable ride. If I were to complain about anything, just to have something negative to say, I'm a bit surprised that his editor let him get away with quite so many monstrously long run-on sentences, but that's a quibble. Highly recommended for fans who do not resemble Comic Shop Guy.
Shannon Appelcline
"The Stealer of Souls". A nice S&S story in the original style of the Elric tales and a nice callback to Melniboné. It's also a cool climactic confrontation with a long-running foe ... though this was ironically his first written appearance [7/10].

"Kings in Darkness". A strong story mainly for its dark atmosphere —even for the Elric series. The bits with Zarozinia are a little too happy to be believable, but other than that it's a good story [7/10].

"The Caravan of Forgotten Dreams. The much
James Oden
As always I love Michael Moorcock's writing, and Elric is by far my favorite hero of his and my favorite manifestation of the Eternal Champion. I think Moorcock's writing in this novel goes well beyond pulp. As with his book Gloriana, Moorcock writes with craft and beauty, straying from the land of pulp fiction to something far more akin to something called literature. This book may also be the only book that Moorcock has written that left one with a warm fuzzy feeling that everything was really ...more
David Sarkies
Back in the days when I was going out of my way to get as many Elric books as possible, I had little clue that there were the classic (or original) Elric books and then there were the ones that he ended up writing later because of the popularity of the original. As is generally the case, when one visits a classic series to attempt to capitalise on it (though in many cases there is usually some form of reader demand as well) the quality of the story tends to drop. It is what I call the Law of Di ...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in May 2003.

The longest and most recent Elric story, The Revenge of the Rose is much more complex than the earlier books featuring this hero. Like most of them, it reflects Moorcock's concerns at the time of writing, and is much more literary in flavour as were the other novels he wrote around this time. It takes the same familiar fantasy genre form as the others in this particular omnibus (they are all quests), but it has a twist.

The plot stems from a Hamlet
East Bay J
I first read Revenge Of The Rose eight years ago after stumbling across it in a thrift store. I was unaware that there was a "new" Elric novel (it was published in '91, so it wasn't new at the time) and brought it home with me.

The interesting thing about reading a book Moorcock wrote in the 80's versus those written in the 60's and 70's is how much his writing style changed. It's inevitable that a writer will progress as they write, especially a writer as prolific as Moorcock, but I've been read
Kate Sherrod
So baroque and decadent in places, this book felt more like a sequel or sidequel to Gloriana than an Elric book, and indeed a character from Gloriana is a major part of the story; Ernest Wheldrake may even get more "screen" time than Elric. Ditto the book's many awesome female characters, especially the titular The Rose (she is never referred to as simply "Rose"). In the climactic battle (mild spoiler here) (very mild), Elric is the only male among the good guys who ride out, to give you some id ...more
Doug Dandridge
Elric is back in this novel of multidimensional travel, and he has brought Stormbringer, the soul eating Demon Blade, with him. Elric finds that his dead father still haunts one of the ancient cities of Melnibone, and threatens to join with his son forever unless Elric can find his soul so he can rejoin with his beloved wife. Elric is set on a quest through the multiverse, his own existence in the balance. Along the way he meets many memorable characters, including the Rose, a sorcerer warrior o ...more
Tim
The writing style for this has been the worst of the Elric series. There are a few bits of plot and character which were fantastic, and answered so many burning questions about Elric and the changes within his personality. I am so glad to understand the experiences and moments in Elric's life that lead him to his beliefs towards the end of the saga, and this book answers many of these questions.

As usual for the Elric saga the last 1% of the story is by far the best part.

All of the prose, philoso
ERNEST MORE
Good book. This book is more action packed then Michael Moorcock's later works on Elric.
However, typical of the later works of Michael Moorcock, the novel has very heavy emphasis on the multiverse and the introduction of new, heavily story-centered main characters.

Spoilers include Elric meeting some ancestors and the introduction of other sentient-like swords. In addition, Elric does not use Stormbringer to give him strength throughout the entire story. He does not use typical herb-like drugs t
Eric Orchard
Full of the wild, hullicinagenic imagery you'd expect from an Elric story but with a tighter plot than usual and maybe even more introspective. It lacks some of the visceral power of the earlier novels but makes up for it with even better characters and story.
Tama Wise
Being a long time fantasy reader, I've heard plenty about the anti-hero Eldric. Never read any of the books, mostly because my library didn't have any. My current library, however, has a smattering. Lets see how this goes.

And how DID it go? Well ... erm ... I didn't like it so much, but as I've been told, Michael Moorcock has influenced a lot of fantasy writers since his time, and it's only fair that this feels rather cliched. I'm afraid it didn't feel so much cliched as it did hard to read beca
David
I read this because I loved Michael Moorcock's other "Elric" books, but this one didn't seem to quite fit in with the others. The writing style is odd (Moorcock switches between present and past tense early in the novel), Elric seems a lot less doom-ridden and more stereotypically like a fantasy hero, and too much time is spent on his companion Wheldrake (Who Moorcock seems to enjoy writing about far more than his protagoinist). However, there are some eerie descriptions of other worlds and biza ...more
Bertrand
Le cycle initial d’Elric comportait sept volumes qui formaient un tout cohérent. Quinze ans plus tard, Moorcock va intercaler deux tomes intermédiaires dans le cycle. La Revanche de la Rose est l’un d’eux. Il a l’inconvénient de briser la linéarité du cycle et de tomber comme un cheveu sur la soupe.
Il s’agit cependant un roman d’heroic fantasy efficace et qui exploite bien l’univers (pardon, le multivers) qu’a posé Michael Moorcock. L’affrontement Loi-Chaos est très bien rendu et on retrouve l’a
Nick
May 30, 2007 Nick rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fantasy
This late installment in the Elric series explores a few of Moorcock's political notions and adds nothing to them that he hasn't said much more clearly elsewhere. The story progresses through a series of vignettes depicting different fantasy worlds, a tool so often used by Moorcock as to have become a cliche. The worlds themselves, with one exception, are not terribly imaginative or interesting.
Jesse Callaghan
I think this is my favourite Elric novel, it has a slightly different feel than the earlier stories. I guess that is not surprising as it is a novel rather than collection of tales.
Josh
This was an OK book. It wasn't as amazing as the original Elric series, but it was a fun little addition with some interesting lore and stories. It's not a must read, but if you are a die hard Elric fan than it's worth checking out.
Jason Lang
Moorcock opened up the genre of 'dark fantasy' moreso then any other author. Demon-summoning, murderous heroes are par for the course. However, against later works, the Eternal Champion series feels flat and dated. It is still a rollicking read, and this book is one of his best, but it still feels more like a nostalgic reading of a childhood favorite.
Boyd
I don't remember much of this one. I think I am confusing this one with the fortress of the pearl. I seem to remember that the Rose is a woman and Elric is unwillingly set to help her, because it serves a greater purpose. But it being an Elric story, I have to give it 3 stars...
Ramón Pérez
Estoy en el móvil y escribir aquí es un dolor. Baste decir que es estilísticamente diferente de las 7 novelas originales, y que eso no es malo en absoluto. A ver si luego puedo hacer una reseña más completa.
Brad
I'd heard a lot about Moorcock so perhaps had unreasonable expectations. It's well crafted, creative, imaginative, deals with ethics and strategy, but somehow didn't grab me in the way I'd hoped.
Jimbo
all about a wild goose chase threw the multiverse. was worth reading only because im a fan of this series, but wasnt one of the best by far.
Scott
Jul 08, 2012 Scott marked it as bookcrossing
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Shannon Appelcline
A bit slow. Nice, epic adventure, original and thematically appropriate ... but it never feels like it gets going.
Charles
Another of the later Elric books. Not as good as the first four or five of the books in the Elric saga.
Michael Perry
Another Elric story...That pretty much sums it up.
bluetyson
isbn,original
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf (Michael Moorcock's Elric)
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
  • Flashing Swords! #1
  • The Knight and Knave of Swords (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #7)
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Conan (Book 1)
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • Starchild Trilogy
  • Conan the Liberator (Book 14)
  • Nothing Sacred
  • Changeling
  • Night Winds
  • Monument
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

The Elric Saga (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1)
  • The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2)
  • The Weird of the White Wolf (The Elric Saga, #3)
  • The Vanishing Tower (Elric, #4)
  • The Bane of the Black Sword (The Elric Saga, #5)
  • Stormbringer (Elric, #6)
  • Elric at the End of Time (Elric, #7)
  • The Fortress of the Pearl (Elric #8)
  • The Dreamthief's Daughter: A Tale of the Albino (Elric & Oona Von Bek, #1)
  • The Skrayling Tree: The Albino in America (Elric & Oona Von Bek, #2)
Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1) Stormbringer (Elric, #6) The Weird of the White Wolf (The Elric Saga, #3) The Vanishing Tower (Elric, #4) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2)

“For this was the other thing that Elric knew: that to compromise with Tyranny is always to be destroyed by it. The sanest and most logical choice lay always in resistance.” 8 likes
“And you, Prince Elric?" She attracted the albino's wandering attention. "Do you know his story?"
Elric shook his head.
"I only know," he said, "that he is a shape-changer and, that most cursed of souls, a person of rare goodness and sanity. Imagine such torment as is his!”
2 likes