Start by marking “Advantage Disadvantage” as Want to Read:
Advantage Disadvantage

Advantage Disadvantage

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A neighborhood bookie peddles athletes to college coaches and develops a sport betting operation centered on high school games. He recruits an accomplice to execute his last bet, one that could set them up financially for life but is fraught with danger. The Chicago Police investigate the greedy gamblers who might try to manipulate a high school basketball playoff game. A ...more
Published August 26th 2008 by Booksurge Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Advantage Disadvantage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Advantage Disadvantage

J.R.
An interesting trip, traveling with Yale R. Jaffe’s “Advantage Disadvantage”

I recently had the pleasure of reading Yale R. Jaffe’s “Advantage Disadvantage”. Although I finished the book a few days ago, it has taken me some time to collect my thoughts to post a review.

The first chapter hooked me from the start, as one of the characters finds himself being booked at the Cook County lockup in Chicago. Okay. The cover of the book implies that I was to read a tale relating to basketball. Hmm….

By th
Shix
Wow... Taking advantage of absolutely anyone possible is the name of this game. It was amazing how much lives changed based on the simplest decisions in this book. I have looked at high school sports in a completely different vein as I did before since picking up this book and have always known that there are several things that do not meet the eye on the college scene. When is anything just innocent, a good form of exercise, and good sportsmanship - in pre-school?

At times the story can be a li
Wendy Potocki
If Money Is The Root of All Evil, Then Greed Must Come in a Close Second!!!

Perhaps this novel should have been called “Taking Advantage.” It seems that it would be closer to what is actually going on out there. Mr. Jaffe’s novel allows us to glimpse the seedy side of sports and learn things that we would never otherwise know. It does so in the framework of a story about compelling people that are caught up in their everyday lives, but on a course to collide.

Advantage Disadvantage is the name o
Dennis Batchelder
high school sports unveiled

Yale Jaffe's "Advantage Disadvantage" weaves a plot around the money, politics, economics, and dreams of high school basketball.

Advantage/Disadvantage is the name of a con that a bookie has strung together with the help of a sports writer. But that's just one small piece of the book: Jaffe spins his story not only through their points of view, but also through the eyes of a player's parents, a referee, a newpaper editor, and a coach. He shows us snippets of their live
Sonia
This book is a story of high school basketball...but it is about so much more than that. It is about inner city life, it is about coming of age, it is about gang wars, it is about family dynamics...there is A LOT to this book.

And yet, it works...mostly. It is an interesting story, and I did enjoy it. The characters were well developed and the story really had a lot of good about it. But, the dialogue was a serious struggle for me. I found that the dialogue didn't fit the characters at all...it f
Michael
I thoroughly enjoyed Advantage Disadvantage. Mr. Jaffe reveals the dark, ugly, almost evil side of high school basketball while also portraying the game in its truer side of passion, determination and drive to be one's best. Even as a writer of sports mysteries my stomach churned as I read some of the revolting shenanigans that Jaffe describes behind the scenes of the game. Fiction or not, it is clear that Jaffe's story is based on his experience and understanding of what goes on both on the cou ...more
J. Ewbank
This book by Jaffe is an interesting read. It is a story a two cousins and what happens to them over the period of a few years. Normally they watch out for one another. However on the biggest score that one of them makes, does the other cousin really watch out for him or is more involved than that? The one cousin is a numbers man and runs his numbers on the local high schools. He is able to work both sides of many streets. That's enought of the story. I liked this book.
J. Robert Ewbank author "J
Scott Collins
Although I had some issues with the dialogue, the story line was interesting and engaging. I felt the characters were well developed and enjoyed the look inside the prep basketball world in the Chicago area.
Soccergypsy
I'm not sure if I had any expectations with this book. It was fine; just nothing super-noteworthy.
Cheryl
Jun 11, 2011 Cheryl marked it as waiting-2-be-read-kindle  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: Amazon.com
Note: Provided free by Amazon.com
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Carol Chapple
Carol Chapple marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Bufo Calvin
Bufo Calvin marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Brent Donenfeld
Brent Donenfeld marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013