Start by marking “Runaways vol. 8: Dead End Kids (digest)” as Want to Read:
Runaways vol. 8: Dead End Kids (digest)

Runaways vol. 8: Dead End Kids (Runaways #8)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,355 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
Rebellious teens--Nico, Chase, Karolina, Molly, Victor, and Xavin--are all children of super-villains, and turned against their evil elders to become amateur super heroes, but when they are chased out of Los Angeles by the authorities, The Runaways form a
Title: Runaways 8
Author: Whedon, Joss/ Ryan, Michael (CON)
Publisher: Marvel Enterprises
Publication Date: 2009/06/17
Numbe
Published June 24th 2009 by Marvel (first published December 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Runaways vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways vol. 8

Terry
Sep 29, 2008 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have liked this more if Joss Whedon's name on the cover had been larger.
Scarlet Cameo
Jun 28, 2016 Scarlet Cameo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Ok, i need to say two things about this volumen, first...I love the covers, i mean look this

(This is my favorite)

The second is about the history...Well i like the story, in fact have really great things (time traveling, new characters, change of place) but, i think that something of the essence is missing, I can't say what, but something isn't working for me. Even more I like what JW does with Chase, is less silly and more interesting, but I in the fact that he uses Gert for this history.

The fi
Nicolo Yu
So Brian K Vaughan left his creation The Runaways to concentrate on other writing work not in Marvel but before he left, he endorsed to the one man he trusted his babies with, Joss Whedon.

It was great that Marvel and Whedon were able to hammer out the details to allow him to work on Runaways despite his heavy workload. Michael Ryan was drafted to provide art and Jo Chen was retained to produce her magnificent covers.

I really liked how Whedon managed to maintain BKV's vision for the characters w
Don
Jan 22, 2009 Don rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Um. Was only okay. Joss definitely has the kids' dialogue and personalities down - but boy was there WAY, WAY too much going on in this story! Dozens of new characters allied in multiple factions, at least two time periods, a largely extraneous first act.... You kind of get the feeling that the story was something Joss had thought up separately and then shoehorned the Runaways into as simply an excuse to tell it.

Not *bad* per se, but ... weirdly confusing.

Sesana
Aug 12, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Something is missing here. The previous volume ended with Iron man standing in the Runaways' hideout in LA. This one opens with them trying to hide out in New York City. Something happened between one issue and the next. Crossover event? Probably. Sigh.

It isn't really necessary to know what happened there to understand the story here, thank goodness. One of the best things that I can say about Whedon taking on the book is that he writes the characters in almost exactly the same way that Vaughan
Emily
Jun 25, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, marvel
If you're jumping into Runways just because of Joss Whedon do yourself a favor and stop, go back and start with book one. It's worth it. Discover Brian K. Vaughan. He's a wonderful writer and this is a great series. Heck, Joss Whedon took over writing because he was a fan of Runaways!

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I wish Whedon hadn't taken over writing Runaways. There was just something off about the story and the characters. I can't put my finger on it.

The story was a little all o
R.J.
Sep 03, 2011 R.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, queer, ya
I am one of these annoying people who only picked this up because it was written by Joss Whedon. I'm also a (queer, feminist, disgruntled) comics fan, and completely confused as to how I never heard of this title until Whedon wrote an arch of it.

If you're here because you're a Whedon fan, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It has all of his hallmarks: funny quotable dialogue, a complex but tight-knit plot, cultural references that make you feel smart (Yellow Kid as a turn of the century super
Dan
Dec 10, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time travel shenanigans.
Ryan Mishap
May 19, 2010 Ryan Mishap rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
So, like a dummy, I got this because Joss Whedon wrote it without having read any of the others. So why should I know what in the hell is going on?

Premise is awesome: children of super-villains decide they don't want to be evil and take off, hence the title.

This has many of the Joss Whedon traits, but, again, dummy didn't know the story so it wasn't all that fun.

The situation The Punisher finds himself in is fucking hilarious, though, so I can't say this was a waste. Must go back and start from
Kate
Aug 24, 2011 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Runaways vol 8 #25-30 dead end kids
Art: A new artist this time the art is more how you would picture an American comic and yet still tolerable for manga fans although some parts not so much. The style is realistic cartoonish as in you can tell it's cartoony but this doesn't have the same flare as Eric Wight's work. the art work is plain enough that its tolerable for manga fans that has got to count for something B-

Characters: The group is all here and while no one really changes much they do su
Addison
I kinda hate this run and Joss Whedon for killing the Runaways and all the misplaced hype he brought to the book, just to write a 6 issue run over the course of about a year and then ditch the title. Runaways always had worries about cancellation and his follow up to BKV's run should have brought the book to wider attention and greater sales. Instead it got cancelled.

But, all things considered, the story arc in the volume was overall pretty good and Whedon was able to keep the feeling and voice
jess
I got this from the library one night when I attempted to ensure I didn't miss any of the Buffy comics available from our fine public library. Joss Whedon writing for Marvel and I missed it entirely? Hmprgh! I had never read any of the earlier Runaways from Brian Vaughn, but the story wasn't difficult to pick up. The Runaways are the kids of the Pride (a group of Marvel villians). They realize their parents are bad guys, try to turn over a new leaf and make some mighty pledges for justice and go ...more
Scott
I really like the Runaways series, and I would say I am totally gaybones for Whedon (that's a mixture of 30 Rock reference and profession of my love for Joss).
However, I was disappointed by this volume, collecting Runaways issues 25-30, the group begins by following in the parents footsteps (working for the villian Kingpin), being attacked by Punisher (who gets kicked in the nuts (HILARIOUS!)), and going back to 1907 where they meet early superheroes called Wonders. But it's not very coherrent,
William Redd
Oct 02, 2014 William Redd rated it it was amazing
I have to wonder if Whedon and Vaughan decided to swap books for one run. Here, Joss takes on Runaways, while Vaughan also wrote a run of Buffy Season 8. Was it planned? Who knows.

So, Joss writes our Runaways back to New York and a meeting with the Kingpin. This leads to them stealing something that might have belonged to their parents, the Punisher on their trail, and a horribly scarred flying beast of a man who works for a little old lady. All of this lands the team a hundred years in their pa
Mark
Jul 27, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joss Whedon takes over the story line for this volume, and sends our heroes back to New York circa 1907. He creates parallel characters in the past to stand in for The Punisher, Kingpin and others, as well as the inevitable grand melee between the various factions. Fun stuff!
John Kubalak
Sep 06, 2014 John Kubalak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead End Kids is the best of the Runaways collected volumes. You need to read volumes one through seven first because there is a lot of backstory you need (and will enjoy reading) but it's well worth the homework. Runaways is one of the more original and engaging superhero team concepts in a long time. Full props to Brian K. Vaughn for creating the series and getting it up and running but Joss Whedon strikes again with his mix of humor, pathos, and well written characters to hit it out of the pa ...more
Patrick
Nov 15, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both jarring and beautiful at the same time.

I so much hate that BKV left the stage and the characters to the ether. I hate that all of these threads were left dangling and nothing would ever come of them again. That we really never will get an ending to his story? That they finally got through the growing pains of not needing cameos from old vets to make this story and these characters work, and now it's over.

But...I loved that they got Joss in to let the audience down slowly, because this was a
Kristen
It’s sad that this solid series continued without Vaughan, but at least Whedon’s also known as a great character writer. He got the Runaways’ voices right; I liked the banter and their team dynamic, like when BKV was at the helm. I also liked that the characters were put into a completely different scenario than before to mix things up, but I guess I just wasn’t a big fan of this particular story line. It was a little hard to follow and kind of brain-hurty, like most time travel plots. (I’ve bee ...more
Melissa
Issue #25 started off a little rocky, with an abrupt change in location and story that was hard to navigate at first. Issue #26 was funny, and Joss Whedon seemed to hit his groove. Then everyone went into the past, and despite an occasionally interesting plot point (Fisk's client's motivation) or character (Kid Twist, who was the only new person I really liked, though Tristan was OK too I guess), things just felt derailed at that point. The characters were stranded in a relentless story that pro ...more
Justina
Dec 13, 2015 Justina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like time travel stories, as a rule (with Doctor Who being a notable exception), but I really enjoyed this story. It was really cool meeting the Wonders of the beginning of twentieth century, I wish we found out more about them. I love Nico and Karolina and Victor and everyone basically. My feelings regarding Xavin and Xavin's gender and what it means for her relationship with Karolina remain complicated, although I appreciate the fact that Xavin's "true form" was revealed to be female. ...more
Joey Heflich
Therese
I should give this three stars, because it was confusing and the story went all over the place, but Molly was especially adorable in this so it gets an extra star.
dara
So much overlap with the marvel universe that I fear I'm missing out with my limited knowledge.
Mairi
Mar 16, 2015 Mairi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This volume was the reason I decided to read Runaways (although I started from the beginning, in part because I'm enjoying Vaughan's Saga).

I quite enjoyed reading this story, and my main complaint that it wasn't longer. It would have been nice to have more issues about 1907 and it's characters, and it would've been interesting to see what else Whedon would have done with the Runaways.

The characters felt the same as under Vaughan, and the artwork, while slightly different was similar enough (unl
Virginia
Classic Whedon dialog. Enjoyable (even with all the time-travel tropes) and fun to read. Nico, as usual, AWESOME.
Shera (Book Whispers)
Wow, this could have been one hell of a story with a wallop! Instead it's made me leery of a switch-up of names on the cover. Whedon . . . I fear it. No really there were so many things I love, time travel, tragic romance, dark themes, and woman's rights but the flow of this story was horrid. The jumpiest story telling I've seen in Runaways, which is a shame because this series hasn't let me down yet.

Oh, and why so man "things" for everything. "Things" is not a word to replace other words . . .
Roxanne
Jul 19, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Aside from the fact that the end of the previous volume really doesn't match up at all with the beginning of this volume (How'd they get away? Why'd they go to NY? How'd they find out about Fisk and why pick him?), this was an action-packed and really fun volume, to the point that, after finishing it, I immediately turned back to the beginning and read it cover to cover again. Time travel can make you want to do that, but it was worth it anyway. Multiple plotlines tugged at my heartstrings here, ...more
Holden Attradies
Even though I read this volume out of order I enjoyed it a TON, might even be the best volume I've read so far. The time travel was well done and tied up any weird loop holes amazingly well. Every character had at least one moment to shine and advance as a character, and most of the new characters were down right cool. There were a few pages that I even teared up on, the whole "can't you hear the music" page and the heartbreaking ending to that story line...

Definitely a highlight for the series.
scout cook

In the eighth book in the RUNAWAYS series, the kids travel back in time to early 1900's New York. They join a group with a bunch of other "gifted" kids. They try and explain to the kids what they think (know) might happen, without giving away that they're from the future. They eventually get in the middle of a riot against "normals". They help stop the fight, and head back to the future with a girl that they saved from her husband (the girl was like 9 and her husband was like 30). What will happ

Amanda
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong (Runaways, #9)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
  • Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 2: Family Matters (Young Avengers, #2)
  • Young Avengers Presents (Young Avengers Presents)
  • X-23, Vol. 2: Chaos Theory
  • Dark Reign: Young Avengers
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 18: Ultimate Knights
  • X-23: Target X
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Runaways (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1)
  • Runaways, Vol. 2: Teenage Wasteland (Runaways, #2)
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong (Runaways, #9)
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)

“Nobody treating us like kids. For once, we gt to be equals, not babies. Could use more of that in the twenty-first. Age doesn’t make grown-ups.” 0 likes
“I saw Gert. The time machine took me back to a few years ago, the Yorkes’ house… and there she was. On the phone, organizing a protest against… the usual.”

“You talk to her?”

“You nuts? She’s fourteen—what do I say? ‘Hey, in a few years you’re gonna find out your parents are evil time-traveling overlords and help kill them, fall in love with the dumbest guy you know and than eat it ‘cause he’s too slow to protect you?’”

“You could’ve brought her back…”

“Butterfly effect, remember? Yeah, I looked it up. ‘Sides she had a few good years left. Which is more than I can promise with us. I just hid. Watched her for a while.”

“Was it hard?”

“It was f#%&ing beautiful.”
0 likes