El Buda en tu espejo: Budismo práctico en la búsqueda del ser

El Buda en tu espejo: Budismo práctico en la búsqueda del ser

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Buddhism has taught for thousands of years that every person is a Buddha, or enlightened being, and has the potential for true and lasting happiness. This book reveals the teachings of Nichiren and explain how adopting this outlook has positive effects on one's health, relationships and career.
Published November 1st 2002 by Middleway Press (first published October 1st 2001)

Lori
The Buddha in Your Mirror is a quick overview of the basic tenets of Nichiren Buddhism. Much food for thought was packed into this slender volume. I actually began taking notes as I read. I am very new to the concepts of Buddhist study and I appreciate anything on the topic targeted to the layman or the uninitiated.

Although I do not conduct a formal 'practice' at this point, I am thoroughly enjoying my study of Buddhist thought. It gives me a fresh and more positive perspective. It reminds me t...more
Nancy
This book typifies the simplistic attitude in faith which is Soka Gakkai's (SGI's) calling card. The name of this book should be, "Using Smoke and Mirrors in Buddhism" instead of the original title. Celebrity Duncan Sheik says in another SGI book, "The Way of Youth", that he used to hate singing in public, but thanks to chanting, he's made a gold album and has been nominated for a Grammy for Best Male Vocal peformance. Really? You shouldn't need celebrities to tell you the validity of religion....more
John Maberry
I am a 30-year Buddhist so I read this book not to be informed but to learn how well it might serve to introduce others. Despite being a long-time practitioner, I still found it fresh and informative. If you know next to nothing at all about Buddhism but want to learn how and why it might be useful to you, this is the book you should start with. It is NOT rocket science but it hits all the key points you need to know and is readily understandable by almost anyone. Above all, it makes it fundamen...more
Shawn Freeman
I'm a Roman Catholic and i was always thought to be careful of what i read but for some reason i had to read this book. This book will teach you all about Buddhism,history of it and the practical aspects of it. You have to be open to new ideas about religion in the world and a lot of Roman Catholic are not incline to do that. So books lovers you, my advise is that you will appreciate this book not because one particular religion but its a special way of enlightenment.
Amy Hoodock
A friend of mine who's a practicing Buddhist sent me this book as a present. I found it a clear, quick, informative read. I can't vouch for any of its contents except that my friend recommended it. While I'm not sure I agree with everything in it, there certainly seemed to be a lot of commonsense philosophy and I was surprised how much of the philosophy seemed to intertwine with modern physics.
Katie Jean
This book changed my life- it came to me in a very random way but right when I needed it. While I'm not into the chanting or other aspects of fully practicing Buddhism, there's still a lot to learn. It teaches us how we are responsible for what happens to us and how to use that to our advantage.
Amy
This was a life changing book for me. After I read it I started practicing Nichiren Buddhism. I received my gohonzon January 1, 2008.
Snufkin
This was one of those books I'd always known of but never actually taken the time to read. Couldn't recommend it enough!!
Sally
Such a positive inspirational book that really put Buddhism in layman's terms.
Lori
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Roger Bailey
This book is absurd. It amounts to a marketing brochure for snake oil. The snake oil is a string of nonsense syllables that supposedly, when chanted, will cure any malady emotional or physical including cancer. I would suggest that instead of chanting you use the time more wisely by trying to reason out a solution to your problems. However, the proposal that you chant the nonsense syllables is repeated so often throughout the book that it becomes a chant itself. Then there is the question of sup...more
Steve Woods
This book is not what it claims to be. What is being put here is magical thinking rather than serious Buddhist teaching. While the power of intention is something not to be underestimated and chanting can embody that power the idea that by simply chanting the name of the Lotus Sutra all happiness will be attained and life trivializes a great spiritual tradition by placing it in the same basket as most of the self help bullshit proposing affirmations as a be all and end all, that has been around...more
Tigran Berberyan
It was a fun read but did not learn much since I have read many other Buddha books that share similar ideas. However, if you want a intro book that gives you a great overall idea of Nichiren Buddhism then this is a good book to start with. It explains all the essentials needed to understand the rudimentary concepts of this practice.
Izzie Kikue
Apr 23, 2009 Izzie Kikue rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Izzie by: Taro Gold
Excellent read! As a retired Christian minister and missionary I truly found 'The Buddha in Your Mirror' to be enlightening to say the least. Having been raised Buddhist as a child, I converted to Christianity and served in a large church in So. California only to find myself coming full circle as I return to what was once a part of me. This book confirmed my direction. I would recommend this book to anyone who has a desire to find worth in this life and happiness through eternity.
Julia
This is a practical and probably over simplified reading on Nichiren Buddism. This is probably the reason it kept my interest enough to finish this book. At this point in my life I don't have a need
to wrestle with thoughts and words until I go insane in order to reach an aha moment about life or death.(at least not recently). Although not my first dwelve into Buddism "The Buddah in your Mirror" is a condensed work on Nichiren Buddism and offers a good practice for meditation.
Jennifer K
Feb 22, 2012 Jennifer K rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning Nichiren Buddhists
Recommended to Jennifer by: Matt Blasing
I thought that it was very insightful, and practical in the way it applied the very esoteric nature of Buddhist philosophy to real life situations and everyday problems. It teaches in very clear terms that compassion and respect for your fellow humans is vital for your attaining enlightenment or the awareness of the true nature of your life while living in a world where people respect little and have even less compassion.
Giuseppe D
Molto interessante per chi vuole avvicinarsi al buddhismo Nichiren o semplicemente vuole saperne di pi��. Volevo in realt�� dare solo tre stelline perch��, quando si raccontano le esperienze di vita, sembra un po' un'americanata di quelle che sventolano prodotti miracolosi. Per�� l'ho anche trovato molto esplicativo e utile per avere una base generale e poter partire con l'approfondimento, quindi quattro!
Anne S
This book, when read with the idea that we are actually responsible for life circumstance -offers a basic description of how the essential teaching of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo can help you tap a level of wisdom and understanding you never knew you had. How novel! Self responsibility without blame, without ridicule and with hope, respect and concern for the individual and the whole,
Christopher
This is an easy to read and more importantly easy to understand introduction to Nichirin Buddhism, which operates under the believe that all people can attain a Buddhist nature in this life-time, to have a human revolution and change their destiny by following the teachings within the Lotus Sutra; the final sutra transcribe from the teachings of Siddartha/Shakayumi Buddha.
Khaled Nahfawi
Nam Myoho Renge Keyo a bright light is shinning ahead. !!
Melissa Dally
I found this to be a really good introduction to Nichiren Buddhism. I am beginning to be a practicing Buddhist, but I know so little. I've started another book, but the amount of information and the way it was presented felt kinda overwhelming. This doesn't overwhelm and would be a great book for any noob with an interest in Buddhism.
Anso Lo
Excellent livre pour s'initier au bouddhisme version Nichiren. En quelques jours de pratique, je vois déjà des différences dans mon quotidien. A lire si vous souhaitez prendre le contrôle de votre vie, être responsable de votre bonheur et rendre ce bonheur contagieux.
Chavon
Great introduction to Nichiren Buddhism. The text "made sense" as the basic principles were easy to understand. I'd recommend it to anyone on a spiritual journey or looking to be informed on different religious/spiritual practices.
Quinn
This book helps make Buddhism more available for the everyday person. I found it helpful, easy to read, and very practical. It gets a slight bit repetitive, though, in the last few chapters and I decided not to finish it.
Katie
I have been looking into Nichiren Buddhism and this has answered a lot of my questions. It is written in a way that people with little or no previous exposure to Buddhism can read and understand it.
Jaime
If you want to understand why I'm a Buddhist, this book pretty well sums it up. It was my introduction to the practice and I think its a good read if you want to understand Nichiren Buddhism.
Jacki
This is a practical book with insight into the Buddhist religion, but I was turned off when it suggests at the end to join a congregation. Did find some of the chanting exercises valuable.
Charles Ridgell
Good introduction to Nichiren Buddhism. Don't need to be a "Buddhist" to benefit from the concepts and teachings in this book. Found the chapter on relationships especially helpful.
David Jay
This book is sort of like Buddhism for dummies and I thought it was wonderful. A very helpful primer for anyone interested in gaining a basic understanding of Buddhist philosphy.
Nina
This is the book that sparked my interest in Buddhism. If you are a Westerner, and want to understand the basic philosophy of Buddhism, read this book!
  • The Lotus Sutra
  • Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs
  • Accidental Buddhist
  • Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • Buddhism: The Religion of No-Religion (The Love of Wisdom Library)
  • Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of a Black Buddhist Nun
  • Buddhism for Busy People: Finding Happiness in an Uncertain World
  • Buddhism for Dummies
  • A Gradual Awakening
  • Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation
  • The Quantum and the Lotus: A Journey to the Frontiers Where Science and Buddhism Meet
  • Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
  • Joyful Wisdom: Embracing Change and Finding Freedom
The Buddha in Your Rearview Mirror: A Guide to Practicing Buddhism in Modern Life Il Budda nello specchio Men In Style: The Golden Age of Fashion Le bouddha dans votre miroir : Bouddhisme au quotidien et recherche de soi (French Edition)

“Buddhism finds happiness in the midst of rather than the absence of problems.” 0 likes
“The reason so many people are unhappy is, for the most part, delusion. They believe the predominant myths that our culture propagates about happiness.” 0 likes