Start by marking “El Buda en tu espejo: Budismo práctico en la búsqueda del ser” as Want to Read:
El Buda en tu espejo: Budismo práctico en la búsqueda del ser

El Buda en tu espejo: Budismo práctico en la búsqueda del ser

Buddhism has taught for thousands of years that every person is a Buddha, or enlightened being, and has the potential for true and lasting happiness. This book reveals the teachings of Nichiren and explain how adopting this outlook has positive effects on one's health, relationships and career.
Published November 1st 2002 by Middleway Press (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about El Buda en tu espejo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Buda en tu espejo

Lori
May 09, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Buddha in Your Mirror is a quick overview of the basic tenets of Nichiren Buddhism. Much food for thought was packed into this slender volume. I actually began taking notes as I read. I am very new to the concepts of Buddhist study and I appreciate anything on the topic targeted to the layman or the uninitiated.

Although I do not conduct a formal 'practice' at this point, I am thoroughly enjoying my study of Buddhist thought. It gives me a fresh and more positive perspective. It reminds me t
John Maberry
Mar 09, 2008 John Maberry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I am a 30-year Buddhist so I read this book not to be informed but to learn how well it might serve to introduce others. Despite being a long-time practitioner, I still found it fresh and informative. If you know next to nothing at all about Buddhism but want to learn how and why it might be useful to you, this is the book you should start with. It is NOT rocket science but it hits all the key points you need to know and is readily understandable by almost anyone. Above all, it makes it fundamen ...more
Nancy
Jun 14, 2012 Nancy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book typifies the simplistic attitude in faith which is Soka Gakkai's (SGI's) calling card. The name of this book should be, "Using Smoke and Mirrors in Buddhism" instead of the original title. Celebrity Duncan Sheik says in another SGI book, "The Way of Youth", that he used to hate singing in public, but thanks to chanting, he's made a gold album and has been nominated for a Grammy for Best Male Vocal peformance. Really? You shouldn't need celebrities to tell you the validity of religion. ...more
Katie Jean
May 12, 2009 Katie Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life- it came to me in a very random way but right when I needed it. While I'm not into the chanting or other aspects of fully practicing Buddhism, there's still a lot to learn. It teaches us how we are responsible for what happens to us and how to use that to our advantage.
Amy
Apr 28, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a life changing book for me. After I read it I started practicing Nichiren Buddhism. I received my gohonzon January 1, 2008.
Sally
Jul 02, 2012 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a positive inspirational book that really put Buddhism in layman's terms.
Flor Soto parera
Jul 30, 2014 Flor Soto parera rated it it was amazing
Me encantó literalmente. Nam-miojo-rengue-kio
Kc
May 03, 2015 Kc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: see review
Recommended to Kc by: An angel
Someone (an angel/messenger) I rode the night train with gave me this book near the beginning of the century and it was a big help then - very enlightening. Re-reading it now it seems ... that I have out grown it. Looking at it from this perspective it seems like a very contrived self-help book designed almost to recruit people into the Buddhism it was derived from. What a difference a decade makes. One aspect of this book that I didn't pick up on (or believed then but not now) is that Buddhism ...more
Faisal Rahman
Dec 12, 2015 Faisal Rahman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very well written and a easy read. I am not a Buddhist. So, from my perspective, I felt that it focused too much on the power of chanting, which I didn't mind. My favourite chapters are: Self and Environment, Happiness, and Relationships That Work. I took notes while reading these chapters. My least favourite chapters were: Buddhism and Health, and Dealing with Death. I felt that I did not learn anything new from the Buddhism and Health chapter and I was not entirely convinced about ...more
Shawn Freeman
I'm a Roman Catholic and i was always thought to be careful of what i read but for some reason i had to read this book. This book will teach you all about Buddhism,history of it and the practical aspects of it. You have to be open to new ideas about religion in the world and a lot of Roman Catholic are not incline to do that. So books lovers you, my advise is that you will appreciate this book not because one particular religion but its a special way of enlightenment.
Amy Hoodock
A friend of mine who's a practicing Buddhist sent me this book as a present. I found it a clear, quick, informative read. I can't vouch for any of its contents except that my friend recommended it. While I'm not sure I agree with everything in it, there certainly seemed to be a lot of commonsense philosophy and I was surprised how much of the philosophy seemed to intertwine with modern physics.
Lori
May 18, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, buddhism
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Snufkin
Aug 19, 2012 Snufkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those books I'd always known of but never actually taken the time to read. Couldn't recommend it enough!!
Bish Denham
Nov 27, 2016 Bish Denham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
What I like about Buddhism is that there doesn't seem to be any ONE right way to practice. All methods are acceptable (at least from what I've read and/or studied so far.) Whether you chant nam-myoho-renge-kyo or om-mani-padme-hum, whether you focus on your breath or focus on an object, ultimately it seems that any form of mindfulness meditation will eventually get you to the same place.
Roger Bailey
This book is absurd. It amounts to a marketing brochure for snake oil. The snake oil is a string of nonsense syllables that supposedly, when chanted, will cure any malady emotional or physical including cancer. I would suggest that instead of chanting you use the time more wisely by trying to reason out a solution to your problems. However, the proposal that you chant the nonsense syllables is repeated so often throughout the book that it becomes a chant itself. Then there is the question of sup ...more
Steve Woods
May 23, 2011 Steve Woods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not what it claims to be. What is being put here is magical thinking rather than serious Buddhist teaching. While the power of intention is something not to be underestimated and chanting can embody that power the idea that by simply chanting the name of the Lotus Sutra all happiness will be attained and life trivializes a great spiritual tradition by placing it in the same basket as most of the self help bullshit proposing affirmations as a be all and end all, that has been around ...more
Eckart Muller
A friend of mine who's practicing buddhism recommended me to read this book, I was very curious about the buddhist philosophy and I wanted to know more. Well... I am still curious, the book is very short and too simplistic. The desire of the author to explain buddhism to a large audience is definitely laudable. The result is not as good as the intentions. It turns out to be a sort of "buddhism for dummies", it is very practical but at the same time too shallow and the tone of the essay is annoyi ...more
Poons Bhardwaj
Sep 10, 2015 Poons Bhardwaj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looking for long at my despair,
Empathy took me to Courage,
Thereafter! Uplifting my vigour,
Kindness whispered soon Buddha would appear!

Wow!! But with newly trained Tolerance, Faith & Joy,
I maintained my conduct, rolling thoughts ....& most important my Gait!!!

At every door bell, little inner docile voice went to see... if Buddha is there at the door step!?!

On every mobile ring, little elves residing in my ears...
Chirped subtly to hint me if its Buddha on the flash!?!

Irrespective, while I
Giuseppe D
Apr 12, 2013 Giuseppe D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Molto interessante per chi vuole avvicinarsi al buddhismo Nichiren o semplicemente vuole saperne di pi��. Volevo in realt�� dare solo tre stelline perch��, quando si raccontano le esperienze di vita, sembra un po' un'americanata di quelle che sventolano prodotti miracolosi. Per�� l'ho anche trovato molto esplicativo e utile per avere una base generale e poter partire con l'approfondimento, quindi quattro!
Jennifer K
Feb 22, 2012 Jennifer K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning Nichiren Buddhists
Recommended to Jennifer by: Matt Blasing
I thought that it was very insightful, and practical in the way it applied the very esoteric nature of Buddhist philosophy to real life situations and everyday problems. It teaches in very clear terms that compassion and respect for your fellow humans is vital for your attaining enlightenment or the awareness of the true nature of your life while living in a world where people respect little and have even less compassion.
Julia
Jan 28, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a practical and probably over simplified reading on Nichiren Buddism. This is probably the reason it kept my interest enough to finish this book. At this point in my life I don't have a need
to wrestle with thoughts and words until I go insane in order to reach an aha moment about life or death.(at least not recently). Although not my first dwelve into Buddism "The Buddah in your Mirror" is a condensed work on Nichiren Buddism and offers a good practice for meditation.
Izzie Kikue
Mar 05, 2009 Izzie Kikue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Izzie by: Taro Gold
Excellent read! As a retired Christian minister and missionary I truly found 'The Buddha in Your Mirror' to be enlightening to say the least. Having been raised Buddhist as a child, I converted to Christianity and served in a large church in So. California only to find myself coming full circle as I return to what was once a part of me. This book confirmed my direction. I would recommend this book to anyone who has a desire to find worth in this life and happiness through eternity.
Arlyn
Jul 17, 2015 Arlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
This book is an excellent explanation for the Soka Gakkai International Organization. I've gifted this book over five times because it's quality is like no other self-help book. No matter what backgrounds or beliefs, this is a must read for those that would like to get some knowledge about life, chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and becoming a more peaceful world with the SGI.
Tigran Berberyan
Jun 30, 2014 Tigran Berberyan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a fun read but did not learn much since I have read many other Buddha books that share similar ideas. However, if you want a intro book that gives you a great overall idea of Nichiren Buddhism then this is a good book to start with. It explains all the essentials needed to understand the rudimentary concepts of this practice.
Melissa Dally
I found this to be a really good introduction to Nichiren Buddhism. I am beginning to be a practicing Buddhist, but I know so little. I've started another book, but the amount of information and the way it was presented felt kinda overwhelming. This doesn't overwhelm and would be a great book for any noob with an interest in Buddhism.
Filippo Ulivieri
Jan 18, 2016 Filippo Ulivieri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saggistica
Nonostante la chiarezza espositiva si perde troppo spesso in esempi banali e banalizzanti, di fastidioso sapore americano: Janet che litiga col marito alcolista e poi lo fa guarire, David che sconfigge il cancro, ecc. Ci fosse uno schermo lampeggerebbe "testimonianza vera!" e il numero da chiamare per comprare qualcosa.
Anne S
Jul 24, 2012 Anne S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, when read with the idea that we are actually responsible for life circumstance -offers a basic description of how the essential teaching of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo can help you tap a level of wisdom and understanding you never knew you had. How novel! Self responsibility without blame, without ridicule and with hope, respect and concern for the individual and the whole,
Christopher
Sep 20, 2009 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy to read and more importantly easy to understand introduction to Nichirin Buddhism, which operates under the believe that all people can attain a Buddhist nature in this life-time, to have a human revolution and change their destiny by following the teachings within the Lotus Sutra; the final sutra transcribe from the teachings of Siddartha/Shakayumi Buddha.
Ata Agoro
Jun 30, 2015 Ata Agoro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to "practical" Buddhism. After reading this book -- actually, even during the reading of this book -- I already wanted to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and look up my local SGI Buddhist center events and resources. An easy read that explains essentials for incorporating Buddhism into daily practice -- highly recommended!
Gloria Ng
Jul 23, 2014 Gloria Ng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
Great overview of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism. However, I like Buddha in Daily Life, The: Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin much better for a more comprehensive introduction to the subject matter.
  • Buddha in Daily Life, The: Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin
  • Unlocking the Mysteries of Birth  Death: . . . And Everything in Between, A Buddhist View Life
  • Waking the Buddha: How the Most Dynamic and Empowering Buddhist Movement in History Is Changing Our Concept of Religion
  • The Reluctant Buddhist
  • The Buddha, Geoff and Me: A Modern Story. Edward Canfor-Dumas
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • The Accidental Buddhist: Mindfulness, Enlightenment, and Sitting Still, American Style
  • The Lotus Sutra
  • Being Black: Zen and the Art of Living with Fearlessness and Grace
  • The Thich Nhat Hanh Collection:  Peace is Every Step; Teachings on Love; The Stone Boy and Other Stories
  • Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent
  • Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of a Black Buddhist Nun
  • Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs
  • The Tao Of Writing: Imagine. Create. Flow.
  • Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution
  • Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee
  • The Beginner's Guide to Zen Buddhism

“Society is complex and harsh, demanding that you struggle hard to survive. No one can make you happy. Everything depends on you as to whether or not you attain happiness…. A human being is destined to a life of great suffering if he is weak and vulnerable to his external surroundings.” 1 likes
“Buddhism is a beautiful philosophy, but above all, it is about action.” 1 likes