Start by marking “The Angels of Morgan Hill” as Want to Read:
The Angels of Morgan Hill

The Angels of Morgan Hill

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,015 ratings  ·  210 reviews
It's 1947. Nine-year-old Jane Gable first lays eyes on young Milo Turner the day that her alcoholic father is buried. The Turners are the first black family ever to live in Morgan Hill, and Jane can't understand why some people are bitter.
When tragedy strikes the Turner household, the Gables are asked to make a decision that could rip their family apart. One path might op
Published (first published October 17th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Angels of Morgan Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angels of Morgan Hill

Kathleen
3.5 stars. This is the prequel to The Good Dream (great book, comprehensible as a stand-alone). Compared to The Good Dream, there is slightly more romance woven into this plot, but nonetheless this is primarily a post-war historical about a few white families uniting to help an orphaned black boy (little Milo lost his entire family in one night, due to fire). It's a heartwarming, heartbreaking, and fairly credible portrayal of racial segregation and intolerance in small-town Tennessee. There is ...more
Shauna
A good story. As I predicted, I cried throughout the whole thing. I can't stop myself from crying for children put in such sad circumstances with good people who just can't catch a break.

It's hard to know what some people mean by a clean read. This story had a truly sweet romance element. But it also had despicable people in it, one of which made a despicable attempt. Not terribly graphic in details, but enough to get my heart pumping in concern for the female character. (Just a warning that yo
Natalie
If you like southern writers, and stories of the Jim Crow era you might like this book about a little boy trying to fit into a poor, fatherless white family who's adopted him and the struggles the family deals with regarding poverty and racism.

There are heart-touching moments with the mother and Milo, the little boy, and with Fran and Joe, some lovely writing regarding Henry, quite possibly the biggest saint in Morgan Hill.

But there was also some editing that needed to be done prior to publicati
Marion Marchetto
I picked up this book because of the word Angels in the title, knowing nothing about the author or her other works. After the opening paragraph, however, I was hooked.

Set in Tennessee during the 1950s, Jane Gable (the 9-year old narrator) tells the story of the day her daddy was buried and how she and her younger brother saw their first black family. Through humorous anecdotes of life in the South, we learn of the contempt of some for the 'colored' sharecroppers and how far these folks would go
Sharon
Jul 29, 2012 Sharon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sharon by: Christa
My daughter, Christa called and told me I could download this book on my nook. She had previouly suggested I purchase Donna VanLiere Christmas books for my library. They have always circulated well, so I quickly downloaded this novel. It did not disappoint!

Jane Gable thinks 1947 will be like every other year in Morgan Hill. However, her normal consists of an abusive, alcoholic father, a precocious brother (John) and a pregnant mother (Fran), who is resigned to their less than pleasant life. Jane
Nandi Crawford
I have read one other of Donna VanLiere's works, and though this is most definitely a fiction tale, I couldn't help but wonder how things would turn out for this young fella Milo. Best start in the beginning; It starts when Jane and her brother is burying their father (who died at age 29 from alcohol related diabetes) sadly none of the members are sad that he is gone since he was more trouble than he was worth; It also happens to be the same day that Milo and his family, the Turners come to town ...more
Ronda  Tutt
A very touching story that takes place in Tennessee back in 1947 - A nine year old's story of how her family (white) and another family (black) get through the madness and meanness surrounding them that try keep them from being friends and at last trying to be family when a tragedy occurs.

Donna VanLiere once again delivers a great story just like she did with her other book "The Christmas Shoes".
Heidi
so glad I read this, and I am so happy that people are if not less judgemental a little less openly judgemental. It was hard to read parts of it because it hurt so much to read about how horribly people will treat others, but then It ended very nice and happy, maybe almost too well depending on the type of reader you are.

Great book, I really enjoyed it.
Linda
This is a great book about race relations. It was a very heartwarming and sweet story where the goodness of humankind triumphs!
Rebecca
I have seen this book so many times on Goodreads that I decided that I needed to read it. I laughed, I cried and I loved it. There are some very sad parts of the book, and I don't recommend it to readers under 14 because of the subject matter, unless they are very emotionally mature readers.

The characters are very real and it tells a story that could have very well happened. I didn't want to put it down once I started reading it. It's good to the very end - and there's a nice little surprise at
Susan Coster
This short little book moved me to tears at the end. Set in rural East Tennessee, 1947, Jane Gable's life is changed forever when a young black family moves to town. Tragically, they are lost in a suspicious fire, and only, six-year old Milo lives. Fran Gable then has to make a decision whether to keep her deathbed promise to Milo's mother or let him move in with a black family. Milo decides.

Read this book in (2) nights. Pick it up!
Katrina Burchett
It's 1947 and the Turners (Willie Dean, his wife, Addy and their children, Milo and Rose) are the first black family to move to Morgan Hill. The Gables (Fran and her children, Jane and John) are kind, hard-working people who don't have much. Despite the disapproval of her friend, Margaret, Fran becomes friends with Addy Turner. Tragedy strikes and Fran makes a promise to Addy that she intends to keep no matter what Margaret and other narrow-minded, prejudiced people in town have to say about it. ...more
Julianne
This is a wonderful book! It was hard. But this is a wonderful book!

The setting is the small southern town of Morgan Hill, Tennessee. It’s 1947, “the year everything changes”. A black family moves in. Everyone in town has to decide how to deal with this fact.

The book ends with a funeral. I believe that was my favorite part.

Here’s a quote to remember. It was posted on the side of the cash register in Henry’s general store. “Character is found in how you treat people who can’t do anything for you.
Cheryl
A very gripping story told through the eyes of a girl, starting in 1947 when she was nine years old. The day her abusive alcoholic father was buried she sees her first black person. Her world is full of strong wonderful characters, and neighbors who look out for each other.
This master story teller has hit the bulls eye, showing us that even in our darkest hours, we are never truly alone.
Judy-Sug
This is a story that takes place in the late 40's about a family in a white southern town. A black family moves in but a fire wipes out all but one young boy. The Gable family takes him in. The story tells about the trials and tribulations of this family decision.
Tori Stuckey
This was a quick read. I read Donna VanLiere's The Good Dream before I knew about this book (which is set a fews years before The Good Dream in the same town with many of the same cast of characters) so I knew how some of it would turn out, but I enjoyed it. It was pretty good. It's a hopeful story more than strictly realistic, in my opinion. I think that a white family taking a black boy into their home (in the 40's, in the rural South) is admirable and heartwarming, but I think they would have ...more
Sabine
1947 in Tennessee. Der Vater der kleinen 9jährigen Jane und des 5jährigen John stirbt, doch traurig sind sie nicht, hat er doch nur Gewalt und Sorge in die Familie gebracht. Gerade ist der Vater unter der Erde, zieht die Familie Turner in das kleine Städtchen, das wäre nichts besonderes, wäre deren Hautfarbe nicht schwarz. Schon dies ist für viele ein Problem, doch dann passiert ein schreckliches Unglück…
Die Geschichte wird aus Sicht der kleinen Jane erzählt und ihre unverbrauchten Gedanken sind
Buddybearr
I have read most or all of Donna VanLiere's Christmas books.
This is not one of them.
Donna really dealt with the issue of racism back in the 40's and 50's
Donna has a wonderful way of making her story characters so real, three dimensional, flawed but hearts that can be filled with courage, caring, compassion and willing at all costs to stand up what they believe.
From the first page of the story, I was in love, in awe, connected to each character.
Small town, poor in things, but rich in the good
Rayni
Dec 07, 2012 Rayni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: post WWII era
Recommended to Rayni by: author recognition
I hope I would be as brave as Fran. There truly were angels in Morgan Hill, Tenn. This book is very thought provoking.

Reread from 12/6-12/7/12: This time around I listened to it on my mother's cassette tape recorder. I told her when she got the tapes from Talking Books, it was a really good book, but it was iffy. I didn't think she'd get all the way through it. I could think of several incidents where she would likely turn the book off & tell me she didn't like it. Instead, we listened to it
Sarah Sammis
The Angels of Morgan Hill is set in Morgan Hills, Tennessee in 1947. It's an all white town until the Turners move in to help with the tobacco crop. The only family to befriend the Turners is the Gables. Jane's mother is recently widowed and is seeking kinship after years of an abusive marriage. The friendship doesn't last long as the bigots of the town welcome them by burning down their home and killing everyone except for young Milo.

Jane Gable, the nine year old narrator tells the story of how
Mary
Feb 07, 2012 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Walmart
It's 1947. Nine-year-old Jane Gable first lays eyes on Milo Turner the day her alcoholic and abusive father is laid to rest. The Turner family is the first black family to live in Morgan Hill and Jane can't understand why people are so bitter. For Jane and her brother John, Milo is just a new friend and playmate.

Then tragedy strikes the Turner family and the Gables are asked to make a decision that could rip their family apart. One path may open up a whole new world for them and bring them close
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
The Angels of Morgan Hill was an extraordinary read about ordinary people. The story will make you laugh, make you think and make you cry. After accepting a job, Mr. Turner moved his family, wife, daughter and son to small town Morgan Hill, Tennessee and became Morgan Hill’s first black family. They were shunned by some folks when Mr. Turner’s boss and wife took the Turner family to their church. Mrs. Turner was befriended by a local woman who saw Mrs. Turner as a person and not a color. A fire ...more
Elaine
I earned my "4-Eyes" nickname reading Cherry Ames, Nancy Drew, and the Boxcar Children. So, predictably, I loved "The Angels of Morgan Hill" with its little bit of Atticus Finch, little bit of Father Tim, and its big chunk of cheese. Sometimes the narrator switches were bothersome. The ending was way too pat. Of course the daddy is abusive, but he dies conveniently early. Of course the Gables don't have two nickels to rub together, but everyone was poor in the 1940's. But, Father Tim, Mitford is ...more
Donna Fries
I am glad to have read this book. It takes place in Tennessee in 1947 and describes the year,
(and more) in the life of a family who takes in a 6 year old african american child after
his family suffers a tragedy.
The main character is a 9 year old girl who desperately wants a complete family after her abusive
father dies at age 28. She wants the sweet little 6 year old to stay with them, even though
others are against it. She dreams of a new father for her and her brother(s).
This story tells of pain
Priya
this is a great book, set in the spring of 1947 it is the story of a young girl named Jane who loses her father, and a young boy Milo who loses his parents and sister. In the 40's racial tensions were still alive and well, and Milo who happens to be a young black child lives with Jane, her Mama, and her brother. It is a touching story of some of the trials of being a mixed colored family....but more so the journey of becoming this family. I laughed, I cried (real tears not just choked up but rea ...more
Melba
Mar 20, 2014 Melba rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All readers & those who enjoy Christian fiction -Bible stories.
I really enjoyed this book, and I like the author's other books as well. This is a feel good book, that also teaches some life lessons, and I feel that anyone could benefit from reading it.
L8blmr
Every so often a I encounter a story, fiction or nonfiction, in print or in film, that makes me feel apologetic for being a white, southern American. This was just such a story. Though there were many characters with open hearts and minds, it only took a few with attitudes I remember well from my childhood in a small, segregated south Georgia town to evoke those feelings of ... wrongness.

About halfway through, I realized that the tone of this story was similar to that of To Kill a Mockingbird, w
Emily
I loved this book! The characters were so alive and real and it was a good, quick read that kept me wanting more! I wish it would have been longer.
Joan Husmann
Sweet little book, a quick read. The spelling errors annoyed me, and the shifting POV was not well-done.
Diane Davis
Donna VanLiere always writes lovely , heartwarming stories... loved it...
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • Ruby Among Us (La Rosaleda Series #1)
  • Ruin Creek
  • The Sight of the Stars
  • A Wish for Christmas (Cape Light #10)
  • Blood in the Water
  • Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes (Sisterchicks, #8)
  • The Tarnished Eye: A Novel of Suspense
  • Going All the Way
  • The Wheat Field
  • The Wedding Machine
  • Alaska Twilight
  • The Golden Ring: A Touching Christmas Story about Giving, Faith, Love, and Loss
  • Henry and Clara
  • In the Night Season: A Novel
  • The Modern Magi
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • The White Widow
Donna VanLiere is a New York Times and USA Today best-selling author and gifted conference speaker. She has published ten titles including The Christmas Shoes and The Christmas Blessing, both of which were adapted into movies (starring Rob Lowe, Kimberly Williams-Perry and Neil Patrick Harris) and garnered big ratings for CBS television. LifetimeTelevision adapted The Christmas Hope (starring Made ...more
More about Donna VanLiere...
The Christmas Shoes (Christmas Hope #1) The Christmas Blessing (Christmas Hope, #2) The Good Dream The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3) The Christmas Secret (Christmas Hope, #5)