Start by marking “The Cinnamon Peeler: Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
The Cinnamon Peeler: Selected Poems

The Cinnamon Peeler: Selected Poems

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,728 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Michael Ondaatje’s new selected poems, The Cinnamon Peeler, brings together poems written between 1963 and 1990, including work from his most recent collection, Secular Love. These poems bear witness to the extraordinary gifts that have won high praise for this truly original poet and novelist.
Published January 28th 1997 by Vintage (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Cinnamon Peeler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cinnamon Peeler

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
307th out of 1,542 books — 1,694 voters
Carry On Dancing by Heather Grace StewartLeap by Heather Grace StewartWhere the Butterflies Go by Heather Grace StewartNothing Left to Lose by Natasha HeadWhat We All Long For by Dionne Brand
Canadian Poetry, Eh?!
11th out of 34 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Bri Ana
Alongside "Mockingbird Wish Me Luck", this book lays constant vigil on my nightstand. Written about his mistress, but companion to anyone who has ever been awoken in the middle of the night by a low keening wail of want.
Isla McKetta
Although I liked the first half better than the second, I still can't give this book fewer than five stars. I love the way Ondaatje plays with language and his imagery is unequaled! Learned so much...
Darren
If I were a cinnamon peeler
I would ride your bed

without the profession of my fingers
floating over you. The blind would
stumble certain of whom they approached
though you might bathe
under rain gutters, monsoon.

Here on the upper thigh
at this smooth pasture
neighbor to your hair
or the crease
that cuts your back. This ankle.
You will be known among strangers
as the cinnamon peeler's wife."
Tim Weakley
Ondaatje is a master of imagery. Even if, like me, you don't always see the structure of poetry and how it affects what you're reading his words and the pictures they paint always feel true. The phrasing about love, so simple in two lines, say more than chapters by other men.
Alice Urchin
I bought this book on a whim (it was $2 at a book fair), and I'm so happy that I did. I haven't read any of Ondaatje's novels, but now I want to. He write poetry like a (very good) fiction writer—almost every poem is narrative, rooted in poignant images, relatable characters, bits of dialogue that I think must have come from Ondaatje's life. There's a familiar quality to his poetry, which I think is what got me hooked on it. I feel like I've experienced the same funny, painful moments and that I ...more
Cynthia Frazer
"those who are allergic to the sea, those who have resisted depravity" the intermission was particularly amusing.
Eugene Yu
what i really like about these set of poems is that some of them are really personalities and glimpse of the author himself and some of his hobbies and aspirations in life. I am not a very deep thinker on literature such a poems, which i know have deeper meanings, i did appreciate the clarity and humour of some of these stanzas which i find metaphorically intriguing, but nevertheless i just gave it a 3 stars because i was not able to technically digest fully the intent and meaning of these metap ...more
Pierce
Okay, I can understand why people give out about the poet Ondaatje! Some of this is quite laboured. But again, some is quite lovely.

Big metaphors, silly similes, occasionally.

I liked the stuff about his family, now that I've read his "autobiography." There's a lot of extra detail in it.

Again, I prefer the poetry interspersed with prose in Billy the Kid and Coming Through Slaughter. More... grounded. But I liked quite a lot of this more than I imagined I would.
kris
This book has one of my favorite poems of all time in it--"The Time Around Scars". There's something deliciously provocative about Ondaatje's prose, and his poetry is no different. One of my favorites.
Rushda
Mythical, enriching as you move with Ondaatje's lyrical knock of language. I can't pull me from the poem "Uswetakeiyawa"
I had high expectations coming into this book of poems by Ondaatje. The only other work that I had read from him was The Collected Works of Billy the Kid, which was recommended to me by my independent study teacher my senior year of high school. I thank him so much for introducing me to Ondaatje, because I ate that book up within less than a day, and I knew that if Ondaatje could do that with Billy the Kid then he could do it in all his other works too, including The Cinnamon Peeler.

He did just
Terresa
A nice collection, most stunning is the unexpected "Elimination Dance (an intermision)" including a motley list such as:

"Those who are allergic to the sea

Men who shave off beards in stages, pausing to take photographs

Gentlemen who have placed a microphone beside a naked woman’s stomach after lunch and later, after slowing down the sound considerably, have sold these noises on the open market as whale songs

Those who have accidently stapled themselves

Those who have woken to find the wet footprints
Basila
Apr 12, 2015 Basila rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Basila by: Dr. Nukhbah Langa
A perfect read for spring: You cant help loving a poem with images so alive and themes so variant. The novelty of Sri Lankan tone and poetic style was an added reason for making it a lovely read. Pleasurable to ear and words are light on tongue like melting sugar crumb. The translations of my Postcards is still my favourite.
Wendy Coulter
Another reviewer put it right--this book is labored, & I do not believe the labor was intended to be seen. Yes, tp"The Cinnamon Peeler's Wife" is lovely if not exquisite, but I find Ondaatje's strength lies in prose.
Tyrannosaurus regina
I have always loved Ondaatje's "Elimination Dance" (in all of its many incarnations). Here I found plenty of other poems to love as well. Perhaps not all of them, but a high enough ratio that I was delighted.
Chad
Some really good poems, evoking scenes, memories of other peoples lives. Collected over 25 years, it's a best of collection, and there's some really good stuff in there. The titular poem is very sensual.
Susan
May 01, 2011 Susan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves poetry
Recommended to Susan by: Betsy Wilding Cox
Shelves: poetry
These are wonderful poems, deft, fresh and surprising.

"The car carried him/racing the obvious moon/beating in the trees like a white bird."

"Imagine the rain/falling like white bees on the sidewalk."

"There is this light,/colorless, that falls on the warm/stretching brain of the bulb/that is dreaming avocado."

"We are in a cell of civilized magic./Stravinsky roars at breakfast,/our milk is powdered./Outside a May god/moves his paws to alter wind/to scatter shadows of tree and cloud."

"Tell me/all
Alieda
I love, I love, I love these poems. I have read a couple of Ondaatje's novels, but nothing compares to the tiny shivers, the perfect images, the remarkable grace of his poetry. I absolutely recommend this to anyone who feels connected to language. Ondaatje is a master. His words teach about beauty, and speak, I believe, unspoken and inexpressable truths within the words themselves, deeper inside the poetry, to the core of being.
Angela
I LOVED THIS
Sara
The first words of Michael Ondaatje that I read were photocopied from this book. I was sitting for a painter who gave me the title poem, The Cinnamon Peeler. Later, I took a course on Michael Ondaatje. I carried this book with me everywhere that semester, wrote all over it, admired the cover, shared the poems with whoever would listen. I still buy copies and give as gifts to friends and lovers.
Bridget
"He is not a lost drunk / like his father or his friend, can / he says, stop on a dime, and he can / he could because even now, now in / this brilliant darkness where / grass has lost its colour and it's all / fucking Yeats and moonlight, he knows / this colourless grass is making his bare feet green / for it is the hour of magic / which no matter what sadness / leaves him grinning."
Skot
A wonderful collection of Ondaatje's most resonant poems. Like his own speech, Ondaatje's verse feels accented with something exotic, so that even scrubby Eastern Ontario farmland finds a kind of narrative lushness. Filled with humour, tenderness and sensuality. The title piece is one of the most vividly olafactory and sexy love poems outside of Pablo Neruda.
Irene
Not for nothing that Ondaatje is one of my current favourite writers. The Cinnamon Peeler is a little microcosm of his genius. Claude Glass, just to name one amazing poem, is the best description of the insanity of drunkenness that I have ever read.

Best memory of this book is reading it in the cold outside on steps of my house with a cup of tea.
Kaley
Some thoughts and expressions really stuck with me.

A house as a place you can navigate in the dark

"we have love and the god outside"

"I have lost the feather of poetry"

Skin Boat

breaking a poem into many poem pieces, like in Rock Bottom

"Light," the whole poem
- These are the fragments I have of them , tonight
in this storm
Tracy O
Oct 12, 2007 Tracy O rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Killer, original poetry. This is poetry about friendship, love and artistic leanings. I LOVE it and read the book over and over. A Liz recommendation! This is one of those books you come back to again and again - an immense comfort and reminder about your connections to your family, friends and community.
Rasa Stirbys
This is a definitive book of poetry by a man most known as a novelist. So many of Ondaatje's best novels were born in his poetry, and it is still the best expression of his love of language and obsession with loyalty. This book is an excellent addition to any collection, if only for the title poem.
Christiane
I was lucky enough to see Ondaatje ready from this and Anhil's Ghost an number of years ago. One of the most amazing experiences. Vivid imagery, words that roll off the tongue - one to read aloud to with that special someone. This autographed book of poetry is one of my treasurers.
Rachel
I didn't love every poem in this collection, but the ones I liked, I liked enough to copy down and save for later. Ondaatje is at his best, for me, when he writes about relationships of any kind. The poem about Chris Dewdney is the one I remember best a few weeks later.
Iris
collection of poems over a 27yr period, tho not sure if in chronological order. love his choice of repetitious imagery. some of my faves-- "to a sad daughter," "translations of my postcards," and "the agatha christie books by the window." and of course the title poem!
Elizabeth
Poetry that awakes your sense of smell, your soul, your suspicion. If you have ever been in love despite yourself or come across an abandoned corpse in a ditch of a morning, these are poems to scratch at your memory. If not, they may just awaken your imagination.
  • The Weight of Oranges / Miners Pond / Skin Divers: Poems
  • The Gold Cell (Knopf Poetry Series)
  • Praise
  • The Beauty of the Husband: A Fictional Essay in 29 Tangos
  • And Her Soul Out Of Nothing
  • Selected Poems, 1963-1983
  • Collected Poems, 1912-1944
He was born to a Burgher family of Dutch-Tamil-Sinhalese-Portuguese origin. He moved to England with his mother in 1954. After relocating to Canada in 1962, Ondaatje became a Canadian citizen. Ondaatje studied for a time at Bishops College School and Bishop's University in Lennoxville, Quebec, but moved to Toronto and received his BA from the University of Toronto and his MA from Queen's Universit ...more
More about Michael Ondaatje...
The English Patient The Cat's Table In the Skin of a Lion Anil's Ghost Divisadero

“If I were a cinnamon peeler
I would ride your bed

without the profession of my fingers
floating over you. The blind would
stumble certain of whom they approached
though you might bathe
under rain gutters, monsoon.

Here on the upper thigh
at this smooth pasture
neighbor to your hair
or the crease
that cuts your back. This ankle.
You will be known among strangers
as the cinnamon peeler's wife.

I could hardly glance at you
before marriage
never touch you
-- your keen nosed mother, your rough brothers.
I buried my hands
in saffron, disguised them
over smoking tar,
helped the honey gatherers...

When we swam once
I touched you in water
and our bodies remained free,
you could hold me and be blind of smell.
You climbed the bank and said

this is how you touch other women
the grasscutter's wife, the lime burner's daughter.

And you searched your arms

for the missing perfume.

and knew
what good is it
to be the lime burner's daughter

left with no trace

as if not spoken to in an act of love

as if wounded without the pleasure of scar.

You touched
your belly to my hands
in the dry air and said
I am the cinnamon
peeler's wife. Smell me.”
103 likes