Start by marking “Boo Humbug (The Boo Series #4)” as Want to Read:
Boo Humbug (The Boo Series #4)

Boo Humbug (Boo #4)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Itâs Christmastime in Skary, Indiana, but the holiday season has been hijacked by maverick director Lois Stepaphanopolis as she attempts to bring her horror-ific vision of A Christmas Carol to life. But the holly-decked path from page to stage is a thorny one, as Lois attempts to rally her skeptical cast, including new father Wolfe Boone, and then she learns that her reluc ...more
Published September 11th 2007 by WaterBrook Press

To ask other readers questions about Boo Humbug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boo Humbug

pdarnold
Review of audiobook.

Laurie Klein does a very good job narrating. For the first quarter of this book I simply "liked" the story. Coming upon 2/3 way through I "really liked". By the end of this, I LOVED it! Once again, this is a book I didn't realize was part of a series until looking it up here on Goodreads. Normally, I hate reading/listening out of sequence, but this book stands well enough on it's own - thank goodness!

Small town life and all of the quirky characters that come with it. The stor
Marianne Stehr
Not the best of the Boo series, as it takes a while to get into and is only 180 pages. It is a good story if you give it the time. If you enjoy the other books in the series, you need to read this one as well, wish there were more in the series, I love the characters of Skary, IN.
Lisa
The story of A Christmas Carol is everywhere this time of year, but you have probably seen nothing like the version that one quirky director is bringing to the stage. Where else but in Skary Indiana can a beloved Christmas staple turn into a horror show; be it a spooftacular one. This was a quick fun read full of quirky, but lovable characters, even the town's own version of Scrooge himself. I didn't enjoy every minute of it because sometimes it felt too much of a spoof while I seldom enjoy that ...more
Ruth
With Boo Humbug, Rene Gutteridge returns to Skary, Indiana (her own whacky version of Mayberry) for a delightfully twisted take on the Dickens classic A Christmas Carol. Lois Stepaphanopolis, director of Skary's local theater group, decides to bring A Christmas Carol to Skary residents as it's never been seen before - as a modern horror story. Jacob Marley is recast as Jae Cobb-Marley, a ruthless businesswoman in the fashion industry - and that's just the beginning of her attempts to "update" th ...more
Cheryl
The town of Skary, Indiana has fallen on hard times since its leading citizen, horror author Wolfe Boone, quit his genre and became a married man. But the residents of Skary aren't the only ones whose fortunes have fallen since Wolfe's departure from the horror scene. His agent, Alfred Tennison, hit rock bottom when Wolfe found Jesus and lost the bestseller list drive. He's now a freelance editor, making enough money to afford a modest place in Manhatten. But for reasons Alfred can't fathom, Ska ...more
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 Becki added it
Shelves: book-collector
The Christmas season has come to Skary, Indiana, a town that loves Christmas. Trouble arrives when there is confusion over the community Christmas play. Will it all work out? Or will hundreds be disappointed?\n\nThis was the most nonsensical book I've ever read. Yes, it's uplifting at the end (in a totally simplified way). But the rest of the book is just scattered and not even very interesting. And what's the issue with Lois's last name?
Christy
This is not a typical read for me but I do love quirky interesting characters that speak their mind and this little Christmas book hit the mark. I read this back during the holiday season and I keep forgetting to review it. This is a small book; easily read in one sitting and not one to be overlooked this holiday season.
Dora Wagner
This is cute story of one town's attempt to tell the story of Scrooge with disastrous results. Have fun as you read it. Warning to Dickens purists, of which I am one, it isn't your beloved story of redemption, as you know it.
Paul Lunger
Rene Gutteridge's "Boo Humbug" is a clever tale set in her fictional town of Skary, Indiana. In this installment Lois Stepaphanopolis tries to bring to life Dickens "A Christmas Carol" for the town theater. Things don't go quite according to plan as the play gets re-written a few different times, Halloween gets incorporated at least at first, and the townsfolk she casts in the play don't exactly want to play their parts. Gutteridge's story is an enjoyable outing that is easy to read & clever ...more
Rachel
It was funny and heartwarming, as usual for this series. The hilarious rewriting of Dickens is not something to be missed. I recommend!
Hilarious book!
Christy
If you haven't read the first three books in the Boo Series, I highly recommend doing so before reading this holiday themed conclusion, just so you have a better idea of the characters and their previous escapades. I have come to love the citizens of Skary, Indiana and I'm going to miss them. This book is a fun Christmas tale filled with laughter, tears and a great message.
Kristin
I think next year I'll stick to Christmas books I know I like because I sort of overdid it this year with the bad-Christmas-book season. This one was just weird and a little convoluted with too many plot lines and characters for its length.
Kelly
I trudged through all four books and they just kept getting worse. By the end of this one I was ready to pull my hair out at Ainsley's whining. Also I just realized who Alfred reminds me of...Squidward Tentacles.
Andrea Adams
I was so excited to find this. I have read the first three years ago! Great series.

So funny, excellent Christian message as always! Must read the Boo series when you get the chance!
Carla
Interesting at times and not so much at other times. I guess there is a series about Skary, Indiana by her so I might try some of those. I wouldn't mind trying another in the series.
Kwhelan
A fun, quick read. This was the 4th book of the series, and while I enjoyed following the quirky characters again, this was my least favorite of the Boo books.
Becca
I was reading this for the Winter Holidays Reading Challenge. I thought it was awful, so after about seven chapters, I decided not to subject myself to it anymore.
Nadine

This series was GREAT!! I would definately read all of them again. So sad it ended...for now. Fingers crossed she writes another book :)
Sarah Jones
This was a great book for the quirky residents of Skary, IN. I laughed out loud!
Mary
Loved the Boo series. Fun and quirky characters. I'm sad to come to the end.
Deena
Sep 14, 2007 Deena rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of satirical comedy
Liz
Apr 24, 2013 Liz added it
The audiobook narrator was so distracting I had to stop listening.
Melissa
Funny addition to the series. About a unique Christmas play.
Kristen
My least favorite in the series.
Lisa
terrible.
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Jo
Jo added it
Apr 10, 2015
Erica G
Erica G marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
  • A Touch of Betrayal (Treasures of the Heart #3)
  • Merry Humbug Christmas: Two Tales of Holiday Romance
  • And Then There Were Two (Danielle Ross Mystery, #2)
  • Life Everlasting (Alexi Lindale, #2)
  • Engaging Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #2)
  • Echoes (The Michelli Family Series #3)
  • Emerald Windows
  • Love Finds You On Christmas Morning
  • Deep Harbor
  • Ever Present Danger (Phantom Hollow Series, #1)
  • Unspoken
  • House of Mercy
  • Abomination (Rock Harbor Series #4)
  • Silver Bells
  • The Whitney Chronicles
Rene Gutteridge is the award-winning and best-selling author of more than eighteen novels, including the beloved Boo Series and Heart of the Country, her novelization release with director John Ward and Tyndale House Publishers. Her recent suspense titles include Listen, Possession and the award-winning Seven Hours project Escapement. She's been published by Bethany House, Tyndale House, WaterBroo ...more
More about Rene Gutteridge...

Boo (4 books)
  • Boo
  • Boo Who
  • Boo Hiss (The Boo Series #3)
Listen Boo Never the Bride Boo Who My Life as a Doormat (In Three Acts)