Start by marking “Boo Humbug” as Want to Read:
Boo Humbug

Boo Humbug (Boo #4)

It’s Christmastime in Skary, Indiana, but the holiday season has been hijacked by maverick director Lois Stepaphanopolis as she attempts to bring her horror-ific vision of A Christmas Carol to life. But the holly-decked path from page to stage is a thorny one, as Lois attempts to rally her skeptical cast, including new father Wolfe Boone, and then she learns that her reluc ...more
Published September 11th 2007 by WaterBrook

To ask other readers questions about Boo Humbug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boo Humbug

Marianne Stehr
Aug 16, 2009 Marianne Stehr rated it liked it
Not the best of the Boo series, as it takes a while to get into and is only 180 pages. It is a good story if you give it the time. If you enjoy the other books in the series, you need to read this one as well, wish there were more in the series, I love the characters of Skary, IN.
Anne
Mar 07, 2017 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
Such a cute little crazy Christmas story.
Cheryl
Jun 01, 2008 Cheryl rated it liked it
The town of Skary, Indiana has fallen on hard times since its leading citizen, horror author Wolfe Boone, quit his genre and became a married man. But the residents of Skary aren't the only ones whose fortunes have fallen since Wolfe's departure from the horror scene. His agent, Alfred Tennison, hit rock bottom when Wolfe found Jesus and lost the bestseller list drive. He's now a freelance editor, making enough money to afford a modest place in Manhatten. But for reasons Alfred can't fathom, Ska ...more
Ruth
Feb 02, 2009 Ruth rated it really liked it
With Boo Humbug, Rene Gutteridge returns to Skary, Indiana (her own whacky version of Mayberry) for a delightfully twisted take on the Dickens classic A Christmas Carol. Lois Stepaphanopolis, director of Skary's local theater group, decides to bring A Christmas Carol to Skary residents as it's never been seen before - as a modern horror story. Jacob Marley is recast as Jae Cobb-Marley, a ruthless businesswoman in the fashion industry - and that's just the beginning of her attempts to "update" th ...more
Nora St Laurent
Jul 09, 2015 Nora St Laurent rated it really liked it
Wolfe and Oliver are in the throes of fatherhood as Christmas approaches. Ainsley and Melbâs their wives are doing the best they can to create a loving atmosphere in their homes and celebrate Christmas on very little sleep. The holidays can be so stressful and full of misunderstandings. This story looks at family life during the holidays and how those families interact in their community. The story is fun, and filled with the drama that happens off the stage as the actors try to catch the crazy ...more
Mary Lou
Feb 12, 2017 Mary Lou rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Nice, humorous Christmas story but, like so many, the ending is a bit sappy.
pdarnold
Jan 13, 2015 pdarnold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-general
Review of audiobook.

Laurie Klein does a very good job narrating. For the first quarter of this book I simply "liked" the story. Coming upon 2/3 way through I "really liked". By the end of this, I LOVED it! Once again, this is a book I didn't realize was part of a series until looking it up here on Goodreads. Normally, I hate reading/listening out of sequence, but this book stands well enough on it's own - thank goodness!

Small town life and all of the quirky characters that come with it. The stor
Lisa
Dec 22, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
The story of A Christmas Carol is everywhere this time of year, but you have probably seen nothing like the version that one quirky director is bringing to the stage. Where else but in Skary Indiana can a beloved Christmas staple turn into a horror show; be it a spooftacular one. This was a quick fun read full of quirky, but lovable characters, even the town's own version of Scrooge himself. I didn't enjoy every minute of it because sometimes it felt too much of a spoof while I seldom enjoy that ...more
Paul Lunger
Sep 20, 2012 Paul Lunger rated it really liked it
Rene Gutteridge's "Boo Humbug" is a clever tale set in her fictional town of Skary, Indiana. In this installment Lois Stepaphanopolis tries to bring to life Dickens "A Christmas Carol" for the town theater. Things don't go quite according to plan as the play gets re-written a few different times, Halloween gets incorporated at least at first, and the townsfolk she casts in the play don't exactly want to play their parts. Gutteridge's story is an enjoyable outing that is easy to read & clever ...more
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 Becki added it
Shelves: book-collector
The Christmas season has come to Skary, Indiana, a town that loves Christmas. Trouble arrives when there is confusion over the community Christmas play. Will it all work out? Or will hundreds be disappointed?\n\nThis was the most nonsensical book I've ever read. Yes, it's uplifting at the end (in a totally simplified way). But the rest of the book is just scattered and not even very interesting. And what's the issue with Lois's last name?
Christy
May 21, 2014 Christy rated it really liked it
This is not a typical read for me but I do love quirky interesting characters that speak their mind and this little Christmas book hit the mark. I read this back during the holiday season and I keep forgetting to review it. This is a small book; easily read in one sitting and not one to be overlooked this holiday season.
Christy
Dec 12, 2008 Christy rated it really liked it
If you haven't read the first three books in the Boo Series, I highly recommend doing so before reading this holiday themed conclusion, just so you have a better idea of the characters and their previous escapades. I have come to love the citizens of Skary, Indiana and I'm going to miss them. This book is a fun Christmas tale filled with laughter, tears and a great message.
Kelly
Aug 11, 2012 Kelly rated it did not like it
I trudged through all four books and they just kept getting worse. By the end of this one I was ready to pull my hair out at Ainsley's whining. Also I just realized who Alfred reminds me of...Squidward Tentacles.
Kristin
Dec 30, 2012 Kristin rated it it was ok
I think next year I'll stick to Christmas books I know I like because I sort of overdid it this year with the bad-Christmas-book season. This one was just weird and a little convoluted with too many plot lines and characters for its length.
Dora Wagner
This is cute story of one town's attempt to tell the story of Scrooge with disastrous results. Have fun as you read it. Warning to Dickens purists, of which I am one, it isn't your beloved story of redemption, as you know it.
Joan Henges
Jan 24, 2016 Joan Henges rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boo indeed

Too cute by half. Could not finish this this. Maybe it's just the wrong time to read what tasted like drivel.
Deena
Sep 14, 2007 Deena rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of satirical comedy
Amy Gettinger
Jan 09, 2011 Amy Gettinger rated it liked it
silly but fun
Teresa Moyer
Dec 09, 2016 Teresa Moyer rated it it was amazing
This one was funny
Alice
Dec 30, 2016 Alice rated it liked it
Funny and easy read. What happens when Lois decides to stage "The Christmas Carol" as a modern fright fest would have Dickens rolling over in his grave.
Mary
Jun 13, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Loved the Boo series. Fun and quirky characters. I'm sad to come to the end.
Carla
Dec 26, 2010 Carla rated it liked it
Interesting at times and not so much at other times. I guess there is a series about Skary, Indiana by her so I might try some of those. I wouldn't mind trying another in the series.
Feb 25, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Hilarious book!
Liz
Apr 24, 2013 Liz added it
The audiobook narrator was so distracting I had to stop listening.
Kwhelan
Nov 06, 2011 Kwhelan rated it liked it
A fun, quick read. This was the 4th book of the series, and while I enjoyed following the quirky characters again, this was my least favorite of the Boo books.
Kristen
Feb 20, 2009 Kristen rated it liked it
My least favorite in the series.
Andrea Adams
Aug 23, 2012 Andrea Adams rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to find this. I have read the first three years ago! Great series.

So funny, excellent Christian message as always! Must read the Boo series when you get the chance!
Nadine
May 19, 2012 Nadine rated it it was amazing

This series was GREAT!! I would definately read all of them again. So sad it ended...for now. Fingers crossed she writes another book :)
Becca
Nov 07, 2008 Becca rated it it was ok
I was reading this for the Winter Holidays Reading Challenge. I thought it was awful, so after about seven chapters, I decided not to subject myself to it anymore.
Rachel
Dec 28, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
It was funny and heartwarming, as usual for this series. The hilarious rewriting of Dickens is not something to be missed. I recommend!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Touch of Betrayal (Treasures of the Heart #3)
  • And Then There Were Two (Dani Ross Mystery #2)
  • Unforgotten (The Michelli Family Series #2)
  • Blind Trust (Second Chances, #3)
  • Unspoken
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights, #3)
  • Love Finds You On Christmas Morning
  • Ever Present Danger (Phantom Hollow Series, #1)
  • Life Everlasting (Santee, #2)
  • Still Waters (The Lakeview Series, #1)
  • House of Mercy
  • Tyler's Row (Fairacre, #9)
  • These Tangled Threads (Bells of Lowell, #3)
Rene Gutteridge is the award-winning and best-selling author of more than eighteen novels, including the beloved Boo Series and Heart of the Country, her novelization release with director John Ward and Tyndale House Publishers. Her recent suspense titles include Listen, Possession and the award-winning Seven Hours project Escapement. She's been published by Bethany House, Tyndale House, WaterBroo ...more
More about Rene Gutteridge...

Boo (4 books)
  • Boo
  • Boo Who
  • Boo Hiss (The Boo Series #3)

“If all else fails, pillage the fridge.” 0 likes