Start by marking “Self Incrimination” as Want to Read:
Self Incrimination

Self Incrimination

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  357 ratings  ·  27 reviews
When Murder Is the Only Option…

Tara Bannister's abusive stepfather finally pushed her too far. To save herself she had to kill him. Or did she? As Tara's self-defense claim crumbles, attorney Leslie Conners must overcome more than first trial jitters to mount a credible defense. Leslie must save Tara’s life...against her client’s will.

Can a Lawyer Save a Client from Herse
Published May 17th 2005 by WaterBrook Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Self Incrimination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self Incrimination

Loraine
Randy Singer has penned another legal thriller that keeps the reader turning the pages. Self Incrimination weaves such a tangled thread that when you pull on one end another "knotty" problem rears its head. The two main characters, Brad and Leslie, law firm partners and an engaged couple, find their two main clients are intertwined and neither appears to be telling them the complete truth. On top of this, people throughout the legal system don't seem to be quite what they appear either. Brad and ...more
Corlene Dorrington
Apr 03, 2014 Corlene Dorrington rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: If you like legal novels and/or suspense
Shelves: bookclub-books
An exciting (twist-filled) legal novel that kept me in suspense and anticipation with regards to the protagonist's personal and work life. It was amazing to experience that a skillful writer can indeed write in the first person - and the opposite sex (Male author writing in a female's first person)!

My Summary:

Two things get in the way of Leslie Connors purely looking forward to and planning her upcoming wedding to law partner, Brad Carson.

Firstly, a rare heart condition (HMC) which causes Lesl
Matt
It was another great book by SInger, though at times, a little on the 'thou shalt be saved by Christ' side. That said, the two major plots kept moving and kept me interested to the end.

While the crime took front seat in portions of the book, the underlying other struggle the reader discovers tends to take up large chunks as well. At times I was left wondering if Singer forgot the trial, the murder, and simply wanted us to learn all about medicine and the cruel roads that the heart can take, quit
Mark
Another awesome book by Randy Singer. There are so many twists & turns in this story it makes it so hard to put down. It was neat that Singer wrote the books as a woman. I couldn't believe how the book ended.

I got hooked on Randy Singer through the Tyndale Rewards program. They had one of his books as one of the items you could cash your points in on & I am hooked. Being a huge John Grisham fan for years I was taken back at how similar Singer's writing style is to Grisham. In my book Sin
LadyS
4.5 stars..Yet another brilliant story by none other than the brilliant story writer himself Mr. Randy singer. I really enjoy the element of surprise in these courtroom dramas and how the author weaves it together with mastery.... This one was a drama about a girl taking the fall to protect someone else. Parallelled to how God sent his son in a form of a man, Jesus to take the fall for through sins of the world. I really enjoyed it.
Larisha
I have enjoyed the other Randy Singer books I've read, but found SELF INCRIMINATION to be a slow read. If you can make it through, It has a pretty good ending.

I did find the 450+ pages a little weighty. The storyline sagged towards the middle of the book with too much time spent on Leslie's health problem.

A little trimming would have turned this into a tight, sensational read.
Beth Stevens
Basic story-line good. Not as suspenseful as proclaimed. Christianity aspect that wasn't expected and felt very forced, didn't flow as the rest of the story did. I like Christian Lit, just didn't know this was trying to cross into it until about half way through the book and then SLAM it's there. Didn't feel natural at all.
Stacy
Randy Singer is a Christian based legal author and is also a trial lawyer. This book was really good. I liked the suspense in it, the edginess of the storyline and also the way he threaded Christianity into it too. Also, I didn't have to worry about any language issues, etc. Sometimes Christian-based authors can go too far and the integrety of the story gets shaded by overdone preachings, if you get my drift. But this guy didn't do that. When away from the book, I found myself thinking of the ma ...more
Melissa
Complex Christian legal mystery. Lots of twists, lots of thought provoking lessons about Christianity.
Kate Zubaly
did not enjoy nor finish
too focused on negativity for me at the time
plus slow moving it seemed
Cindy
A sister protects ..... under scrutiny. Will a good lawyer be able to get her off?
Julie
He's obviously a Christian, but one of the best I've read. I didn't love it, and the best part was the actual courtroom and stuff. The religious stuff was okay, and not too much in your face, so that was okay. It sounds like I don't like religion, but it's not that at all, it just needs to fit naturally with the story. I guess I just feel I've been converted already, and in a book, I care about good writing (and that it's not sick and disgusting). Maybe I just want it to be like a person and be ...more
Kenneth del Rosario
/ The book's premise could have spun in a tired ad boring story. Thankfully, Randy Singer is creative enough to inject new life to this plot. He did cover lots of ground here, even heart surgery and faith. Personally, I find the book sometimes straying too far away from the main story line. I did not at all enjoy the surgery section, mainly because I'm squeemish. But, yes, I'll recommend this book to a friend. Oh, Leslie annoyed me at times, especially when she did not tell Brad Carson she'll ha ...more
Pmcdnld2
legal thriller about a 16 year old girl accused of shooting her abusive stepfather. She claims self-defense. her attorney is new and in midst of the case shes heart trouble, finds religion and much of the story takes an unbelievable turn. Convoluted resolution.
Andrew Neveils
Aug 15, 2008 Andrew Neveils rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes suspense/thrillers and theology
This book was great! It was a little slow to start... Once it got going it was hard to stop until the end! I thought the book did great on character development, though not all of the characters were fully or truly developed. The plot was average but the twist at the end makes this book worth the read and the suspense!
JC
This one started out a bit slow but really picked up as it went a long. As Singer writes at the end, it was weird looking at this through a woman's eyes since he is the one who wrote it. Anyways, the book was still well done and the plot was well done. I really got into the last half of the book.
Jimmy
This legal story involves a girl whose father is abusive. When he goes too far, he is killed and Tara ends up on trial for his murder. This story of sacrificial love has twists and turns. Characters from this story also overlapp with other books by Randy Singer.
Sandi
I love Randy Singer's books. I did enjoy this one but at times the teenage girl just really got on my nerves. Maybe that makes it a great book because I felt something but it was not my favorite of his so far. I do recommend it though for sure!!
Michelle
This might be a bit scary for some. I had it figured out down to 2 suspects about halfway through. Jon really liked it as well, he talked me into reading it.
Gretchen Pike
So one of the recommendations on the book said it was up to par with John Grissom. No. Decent book, but really didn't grip me.
Jo Franz
Enjoyable read I couldn't put down since I enjoy lawyer thrillers so much! Really had me when the story took a new twist!
Charlotte
Great story... Hate the religiousaspect. It would probably prevent me for reaching for another of his books anytime soon.
Ann Plumley

Interesting story but the plot line was not developed the best.
Libby Sellers
May 13, 2013 Libby Sellers marked it as to-read
Very good author and always a great message, which I love in books
Elvis
Another great book from Singer. Excellent
Elaine
Jun 16, 2009 Elaine marked it as to-read
Yvonne
Sep 27, 2008 Yvonne added it
I really enjoyed this book and loved the way it kept you guessing till the end
June Coleman
June Coleman is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2015
Cassidy Mallett
Cassidy Mallett marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
  • This Day We Fight!: Breaking the Bondage of a Passive Spirit
  • Does Your Tongue Need Healing
  • Dressed to Kill: A Biblical Approach to Spiritual Warfare and Armor
  • By Faith Alone
  • The Spirit of Python: Identify what constricts your life and kills your dreams
  • The Jewish Code
  • The Rules Of Engagement: The Art of Strategic Prayer and Spiritual Warfare
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • Emotions: Confront the Lies. Conquer with Truth.
  • The Love Revolution
  • Presumed Guilty
  • Culture of Honor: Sustaining a Supernatural Environment
  • The Maker's Diet
  • The Trial
  • Spiritual Authority
  • Watchman Prayer: Keeping the Enemy Out While Protecting Your Family, Home and Community
  • The Vigilantes (Badge of Honor, #10)
  • Let it Go: Forgive So You Can Be Forgiven
Randy Singer is a critically acclaimed author and veteran trial attorney. He has penned nine legal thrillers, including his award-winning debut novel Directed Verdict. In addition to his law practice and writing, Randy serves as a teaching pastor for Trinity Church in Virginia Beach, Virginia. He calls it his "Jekyll and Hyde thing"—part lawyer, part pastor. He also teaches classes in advocacy and ...more
More about Randy Singer...
The Justice Game By Reason of Insanity Directed Verdict The Last Plea Bargain False Witness