Start by marking “Self Incrimination” as Want to Read:
Self Incrimination

Self Incrimination

When Murder Is the Only Option…

Tara Bannister's abusive stepfather finally pushed her too far. To save herself she had to kill him. Or did she? As Tara's self-defense claim crumbles, attorney Leslie Conners must overcome more than first trial jitters to mount a credible defense. Leslie must save Tara’s life...against her client’s will.

Can a Lawyer Save a Client from Herse
Published May 17th 2005 by WaterBrook Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Self Incrimination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self Incrimination

Loraine
Apr 13, 2013 Loraine rated it really liked it
Randy Singer has penned another legal thriller that keeps the reader turning the pages. Self Incrimination weaves such a tangled thread that when you pull on one end another "knotty" problem rears its head. The two main characters, Brad and Leslie, law firm partners and an engaged couple, find their two main clients are intertwined and neither appears to be telling them the complete truth. On top of this, people throughout the legal system don't seem to be quite what they appear either. Brad and ...more
Stacy
May 16, 2009 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Randy Singer is a Christian based legal author and is also a trial lawyer. This book was really good. I liked the suspense in it, the edginess of the storyline and also the way he threaded Christianity into it too. Also, I didn't have to worry about any language issues, etc. Sometimes Christian-based authors can go too far and the integrety of the story gets shaded by overdone preachings, if you get my drift. But this guy didn't do that. When away from the book, I found myself thinking of the ma ...more
Julie
May 27, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
He's obviously a Christian, but one of the best I've read. I didn't love it, and the best part was the actual courtroom and stuff. The religious stuff was okay, and not too much in your face, so that was okay. It sounds like I don't like religion, but it's not that at all, it just needs to fit naturally with the story. I guess I just feel I've been converted already, and in a book, I care about good writing (and that it's not sick and disgusting). Maybe I just want it to be like a person and be ...more
Kenneth del Rosario
Jan 28, 2013 Kenneth del Rosario rated it liked it
/ The book's premise could have spun in a tired ad boring story. Thankfully, Randy Singer is creative enough to inject new life to this plot. He did cover lots of ground here, even heart surgery and faith. Personally, I find the book sometimes straying too far away from the main story line. I did not at all enjoy the surgery section, mainly because I'm squeemish. But, yes, I'll recommend this book to a friend. Oh, Leslie annoyed me at times, especially when she did not tell Brad Carson she'll ha ...more
Ed
Jan 14, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
This book picks up where Directed Verdict ended. Although not as exciting as the first book, but still a very good read. I like all the parts where people saw their need for Christ, and were witnessed to and how Sovereign God is in the story. It shows that in real life, God also does mighty miracles in leading people to the Lord thru circumstances in their life.
Patty
Sep 30, 2016 Patty rated it liked it
I generally find Christian fiction to be disappointing. The Christian part is usually all happy, flappy leading to a false impression of what true Christianity is, and the fiction part is usually bland. Singer does a good job of blending the two into a comprehensive novel to reflect my Christian beliefs and my love of a good legal thriller.
Courtney
Jan 08, 2017 Courtney rated it liked it
Randy Singer raises the question of his far will you go to protect a criminal. I like how he created some animosity towards the Christian D.A. and allowed Lisa to ponder the difference in straight laced black and white morals to the grey compromising passion of her love interest. Singer generally has someone go through a transformation and he does so with Lisa. I did not like the first person voice he used in this book. It was stilted, and wearisome. The story was good enough to cause me to cont ...more
laurenpie
Nov 02, 2016 laurenpie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Inept at writing females

While I sincerely admire the author for getting the gospel message across, I think he should stick to male protaganists. As a woman, I was constantly getting my "feathers ruffled" by the heroine's thoughts and logic.. didn't ring true.
Corlene Dorrington
Mar 15, 2014 Corlene Dorrington rated it liked it
Recommends it for: If you like legal novels and/or suspense
Shelves: bookclub-books
An exciting (twist-filled) legal novel that kept me in suspense and anticipation with regards to the protagonist's personal and work life. It was amazing to experience that a skillful writer can indeed write in the first person - and the opposite sex (Male author writing in a female's first person)!

My Summary:

Two things get in the way of Leslie Connors purely looking forward to and planning her upcoming wedding to law partner, Brad Carson.

Firstly, a rare heart condition (HMC) which causes Lesl
Scott
Another book I would love to give 4.5 stars too if Goodreads would support it!.
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it
It was another great book by SInger, though at times, a little on the 'thou shalt be saved by Christ' side. That said, the two major plots kept moving and kept me interested to the end.

While the crime took front seat in portions of the book, the underlying other struggle the reader discovers tends to take up large chunks as well. At times I was left wondering if Singer forgot the trial, the murder, and simply wanted us to learn all about medicine and the cruel roads that the heart can take, quit
Mark
Feb 20, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
Another awesome book by Randy Singer. There are so many twists & turns in this story it makes it so hard to put down. It was neat that Singer wrote the books as a woman. I couldn't believe how the book ended.

I got hooked on Randy Singer through the Tyndale Rewards program. They had one of his books as one of the items you could cash your points in on & I am hooked. Being a huge John Grisham fan for years I was taken back at how similar Singer's writing style is to Grisham. In my book Sin
Laura Bennet
Jun 13, 2016 Laura Bennet rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this legal thriller. It was hard to put down. First time I've read this author, and I will look for more from him. The plot surprised me (good), but what impressed me the most was the author's ability to write as a first person female protagonist, and also write the character of a defiant teenage girl. All the characters, male and female, had depth and were well developed. Very well done. And the already established romantic relationship of the lawyer couple was and real without being ...more
LadyS
Aug 01, 2014 LadyS rated it really liked it
4.5 stars..Yet another brilliant story by none other than the brilliant story writer himself Mr. Randy singer. I really enjoy the element of surprise in these courtroom dramas and how the author weaves it together with mastery.... This one was a drama about a girl taking the fall to protect someone else. Parallelled to how God sent his son in a form of a man, Jesus to take the fall for through sins of the world. I really enjoyed it.
Beth Stevens
Sep 09, 2014 Beth Stevens rated it liked it
Basic story-line good. Not as suspenseful as proclaimed. Christianity aspect that wasn't expected and felt very forced, didn't flow as the rest of the story did. I like Christian Lit, just didn't know this was trying to cross into it until about half way through the book and then SLAM it's there. Didn't feel natural at all.
Andrea Montack
Another Good Read

I have read several books by this author and have not been disappointed. This is not the best I have read,but it was still worth reading. Story held my interest,plot was good and not predictable.
Singer's writing will always bring in elements of Christianity and this appeals to me. It guarantees that the content would be "pg" acceptable
Larisha
Mar 27, 2014 Larisha rated it liked it
I have enjoyed the other Randy Singer books I've read, but found SELF INCRIMINATION to be a slow read. If you can make it through, It has a pretty good ending.

I did find the 450+ pages a little weighty. The storyline sagged towards the middle of the book with too much time spent on Leslie's health problem.

A little trimming would have turned this into a tight, sensational read.
Andrew Neveils
Jun 28, 2008 Andrew Neveils rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes suspense/thrillers and theology
This book was great! It was a little slow to start... Once it got going it was hard to stop until the end! I thought the book did great on character development, though not all of the characters were fully or truly developed. The plot was average but the twist at the end makes this book worth the read and the suspense!
Pmcdnld2
Jan 04, 2014 Pmcdnld2 rated it it was ok
legal thriller about a 16 year old girl accused of shooting her abusive stepfather. She claims self-defense. her attorney is new and in midst of the case shes heart trouble, finds religion and much of the story takes an unbelievable turn. Convoluted resolution.
Sandi
Jul 22, 2011 Sandi rated it really liked it
I love Randy Singer's books. I did enjoy this one but at times the teenage girl just really got on my nerves. Maybe that makes it a great book because I felt something but it was not my favorite of his so far. I do recommend it though for sure!!
JC
Jan 29, 2012 JC rated it liked it
This one started out a bit slow but really picked up as it went a long. As Singer writes at the end, it was weird looking at this through a woman's eyes since he is the one who wrote it. Anyways, the book was still well done and the plot was well done. I really got into the last half of the book.
Jimmy
Jul 30, 2008 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
This legal story involves a girl whose father is abusive. When he goes too far, he is killed and Tara ends up on trial for his murder. This story of sacrificial love has twists and turns. Characters from this story also overlapp with other books by Randy Singer.
Jo Franz
Nov 02, 2011 Jo Franz rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read I couldn't put down since I enjoy lawyer thrillers so much! Really had me when the story took a new twist!
Michelle
Jul 08, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
This might be a bit scary for some. I had it figured out down to 2 suspects about halfway through. Jon really liked it as well, he talked me into reading it.
Melissa
Sep 10, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Complex Christian legal mystery. Lots of twists, lots of thought provoking lessons about Christianity.
Gretchen Pike
Oct 18, 2012 Gretchen Pike rated it did not like it
So one of the recommendations on the book said it was up to par with John Grissom. No. Decent book, but really didn't grip me.
Charlotte
Jul 18, 2011 Charlotte rated it liked it
Great story... Hate the religiousaspect. It would probably prevent me for reaching for another of his books anytime soon.
Kristi Tadlock
Kristi Tadlock rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2013
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2010
Joel Ohman
Joel Ohman rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2010
  • The NKJV, American Patriot's Bible, Hardcover: The Word of God and the Shaping of America
  • The Prophet's Dictionary: The Ultimate Guide to Supernatural Wisdom
  • Prayers That Bring Change: Power-Filled Prayers that Give Hope, Heal Relationships, Bring Financial Freedom and More!
  • This Day We Fight!: Breaking the Bondage of a Passive Spirit
  • God's Creative Power Will Work For You
  • The Making Of A Leader
  • Does Your Tongue Need Healing
  • Dressed to Kill: A Biblical Approach to Spiritual Warfare and Armor
  • By Faith Alone
  • The Spirit of Python: Identify what constricts your life and kills your dreams
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • The Jewish Code
  • Emotions: Confront the Lies. Conquer with Truth.
  • The Rules Of Engagement: The Art of Strategic Prayer and Spiritual Warfare
  • Presumed Guilty
  • The Love Revolution
  • Culture of Honor: Sustaining a Supernatural Environment
  • Watchman Prayer: Keeping the Enemy Out While Protecting Your Family, Home and Community
Randy Singer is a critically acclaimed author and veteran trial attorney. He has penned nine legal thrillers, including his award-winning debut novel Directed Verdict. In addition to his law practice and writing, Randy serves as a teaching pastor for Trinity Church in Virginia Beach, Virginia. He calls it his "Jekyll and Hyde thing"—part lawyer, part pastor. He also teaches classes in advocacy and ...more
More about Randy Singer...

“Then I'm okay with it, Leslie. It's part of who you are and therefore part of the person I love.” 0 likes