Start by marking “The Somme: Herosim and Horror in the First World War” as Want to Read:
The Somme: Herosim and Horror in the First World War

The Somme: Herosim and Horror in the First World War

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  202 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
"Gilbert has unearthed fascinating details of the campaign . . . An unforgettable read."—The Philadelphia Inquirer

At 7:30 a.m. on July 1, 1916, the first Allied soldiers climbed out of their trenches along the Somme River in France and charged into no-man's-land, toward the barbed wire and machine guns at the German front lines. In the months that followed, the fifteen-mil
Published May 29th 2007 by Holt Paperbacks (first published June 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Somme, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Somme

Jill Hutchinson
I am probably going to be in the minority concerning my rating of this book. Sir Martin Gilbert was a great historian and wrote so many excellent books (many of which I have read) that I feel almost guilty giving this less than five stars. But I must for the following reasons:

* the narrative did not have the easy flow of his other works and sometimes became pedantic and dry.
* although it certainly was important to hear about the lives, feelings and thoughts of those who fought there, their death
Trenchologist
Jan 16, 2016 Trenchologist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely understand the Battle and its semantics and politics so much better, but am still far from comprehending it. The read is relentless and hard. The Somme was an offensive that was a costly tactic, a last-ditch effort to save Verdun, France, and slow the continuing forward-push of the German Army. When 'Trench Warfare' is coined, The Somme is the very model, of misery in death and endless shelling and mud. This was one of the most succinct, clear accounts of the Battle I've ever read, ...more
Scott Martin
Jun 21, 2015 Scott Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good and relatively quick read. The work had a great deal more significance as I was reading this en route to a tour of the hallowed battleground. Gilbert is a thorough and detailed historian and for this work, takes pains to describe the actions of the primary combatants, from the lowest private killed on the first day to the actions of General (later Field Marshal) Haig. His primary emphasis is on the main battle (July-Nov 1916), offering the initial buildup to the offensive. From there, is ...more
Kristen
Aug 27, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never knew that there were so many poets serving in WW I. The book personalizes a number of the million deaths that took place in this senseless battle. Throughout the book, Gilbert quotes poetry that was written by some hapless soldier who is inevitably killed hours, days, or weeks after writing it. Gilbert also captures the horror of trench warfare in his descriptions of the battlefield and follows the various troop encounters in the five month battle of the Somme.

The book is largely a trib
James Webster
I've read quite a lot of the recent literature about the Somme so much was already familiar to me. There were some new things for me in this (it's especially good for first-hand accounts) but overall it was a bit disappointing. There was some sense of the overall rhythm of battle but no strong sense of the punctuations of the four months of battle. A bit more willingness to express the authorial voice would pull things together: Haig is quoted extensively but Gilbert doesn't gloss these quotatio ...more
Craig
May 04, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good in providing first hand accounts of the conditions the soldiers fought in and the horrors they saw and had to endure. The book gives a good overview of the Battle of the Somme and does not way you down with to many fine details. It in forms you about the movements of each battalion and division and what battles they fought in. It is packed with facts about the number of artillery pieces each side had and how many were wounded or died in each assault or defense. Gilbert al ...more
columbialion
Nov 29, 2011 columbialion rated it really liked it
From July to Nov of 1916 this ill advised battle claimed over a million young lives. The book is literally a collection of first person accounts of the total savagery of "The Great War" The Somme distinctly becomes a testimonial monument to the brutalization of soldiers under the command of delusional old men, who after multiple attempts (Ypres, Gallipoli) continue to harbor visions of massive "breakthroughs" on the trench warfare battleground, and sacrifice massive human life in their pursuit ...more
Jose Luis
Sep 18, 2015 Jose Luis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro muy detallado de la batalla del Somme, del 1 de julio al 18 de noviembre de 1916. Dividido en 18 capítulos muy bien relatados y mostrando cada detalle del combate, contiene buen número de mapas para identificar los combates y no deja de recordarnos que cada ejército esta compuesto por individuos, nos indica su nombre, edad, regimiento y si sobrevivió o no a la guerra y si no en donde se encuentra enterrado.
Extensa biografía consultada, no deja de sorprenderme los relatos de los partici
David
Feb 15, 2008 David rated it liked it
Recommended to David by: Michael K. gave it to me as a cast gift
The story of the Allies' offensive from July to November, 1916 in the region of the River Somme, told largely from Britain's point of view.

This was an battle of staggering magnitude: there is a memorial at Thiepval to honor only British and South Africans killed there who have no known grave, and they number 73,335. That is to say, more than all American dead from the entire Vietnam War.

Such a strange war, which saw the first widespread use of aircraft and tanks, the last general use of horse ca
Venky
Oct 02, 2014 Venky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibliocase
A vivid account of one of the bloodiest battles ever to have fought in the history of mankind. Tales of heroism and horrendous despondency rack the nerves of the reader. One cannot complete the book with dry eyes.
John
Jan 30, 2016 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww1
Poignant account of individual soldiers within the context of the description of the battle. Brief vignettes includes whether they died and if so where they are buried or memorialized. Extensive good maps of the battle and maps of cemeteries throughout the region.
Joshua
Oct 06, 2014 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a lot of information but all the minute details killed the flow of the book.
Andreu Gimenez Sitjà
Complet, didícil. Fixació cementiris. Bons mapes.
Michael
Sep 18, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-history
This is not a regular military history of a battle,more of a human story of men in battle. Every soldier mentioned in the narrative has his grave or name on which memorial mentioned. This book gives you the facts of the battle but mixed with poetry and diary extracts makes it all the more human.

The staggering day one british forces death toll of 19,240 is still the most shocking thing of it all.
I was at the O2 in london recently watching Iron Maiden.If all the people in the O2 had been on the So
Glyn Longden
Jul 25, 2011 Glyn Longden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 6/10. I think I might have rated this book too high. It's a pretty conventional account of the preparation and execution of the Somme campaign in WWI told from the British side. I've probably read a dozen books on this battle. One of the formations he keys in on is the Newfoundland regiment and its decimation on July 1st and that was quite interesting. My impression is that this book was a 'knock-off' to make a few bucks between the author's well-known Churchill volumes.
Chris Cousins
Feb 24, 2015 Chris Cousins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent account of the horror of the Battle of the Somme. Numerous individual soldiers are detailed giving the book a very personal nature. A lesson on the futility of war.
Khalekan
Jul 02, 2012 Khalekan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although depressing in many ways, the tales of ordinary people being killed in an absolutely futile enterprise are relentless, I thought this was an excellent book which genuinely eviles images of what life as a WW1 soldier must have been like.

Such aprajic waste.
Wesley
This book was sad,interesting, and a great memorial for the soldiers who fought and died at the Somme. See my full review on my blog: http://libraryeducated.blogspot.com/2...
Jerry Teipen
Aug 15, 2012 Jerry Teipen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww1
Gilbert was a little too focused on providing statistical information rather than fleshing out the experience...very informative nonetheless.
Matt
Oct 26, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Excellent. Very heart wrenching in the juxtapostion of the individual experience of the battle carnage with larger battle experience
Adam DeVille, Ph.D.
The depressing and gratuitous slaughter of the Somme is recounted here by a premiere historian. Sad and infuriating to read.
Cannonhistory Potter
Puts into perspective the Lions led by Donkeys perception of the bloodiest battle in Britain's long military history.
Madge
Dec 08, 2009 Madge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A moving history of the battle by a super historian told through the writings of soldiers and generals.
Tom
Horror is mild. It's hard to believe that men would endure the hell that was trench warfare.
Jim
Feb 14, 2007 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A good but depressing book about the battle of the Somme in World War I.
Michael
Oct 12, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
  • 1915 The Death Of Innocence
  • The Marne, 1914: The Opening of World War I and the Battle That Changed the World
  • The Somme: The Darkest Hour on the Western Front
  • Tommy: The British Soldier on the Western Front 1914-1918
  • No Man's Land: 1918, the Last Year of the Great War
  • The World Crisis, 1911-1918
  • The Myth of the Great War: A New Military History of World War I
  • Sites of Memory, Sites of Mourning: The Great War in European Cultural History
  • Eye-Deep In Hell: Trench Warfare In World War I
  • Vimy
  • The Origins of the First World War
  • In Flanders Fields: The 1917 Campaign
  • Back to the Front: An Accidental Historian Walks the Trenches of World War 1
  • A Foreign Field
  • Shock Troops: Canadians Fighting the Great War 1917-1918 Volume 2
  • A Storm in Flanders: The Ypres Salient, 1914-1918: Tragedy and Triumph on the Western Front
  • Europe's Last Summer: Who Started the Great War in 1914?
  • The First Day on the Somme
Sir Martin John Gilbert was a British historian and Fellow of Merton College, University of Oxford. He was the official biographer of Sir Winston Churchill and the author of over eighty books, including works on the Holocaust and Jewish history.
More about Martin Gilbert...