Start by marking “Handwriting” as Want to Read:
Handwriting

Handwriting

"Tumultuous, vibrant, tragic and over too soon." --Newsday

Published March 14th 2000 by Vintage (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Handwriting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handwriting

The Collected Poems by Langston HughesThe Poetry of Pablo Neruda by Pablo NerudaPoems by Maya AngelouSelected Poems by Gwendolyn BrooksBlessing the Boats by Lucille Clifton
Favorite Poets of Color
351st out of 407 books — 120 voters
A Fine Balance by Rohinton MistryAfter the Dance by Edwidge DanticatThe Stones of Florence by Mary McCarthyUlysses by James JoyceA Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor
Literary Companions For The Wandering Feet
14th out of 28 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Victoria
Jun 21, 2011 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've shared my admiration of this man before, but that won't stop me from saying again and again how absolutely exquisite I think he is. What strikes me about Handwriting is that it is so very personal and what impresses me is that it is even vulnerably so. It's as if he bled on the page for a while. For me, a great deal of bad contemporary poetry lacks that quality. Instead, I find most contemporary poetry is cowardly, the poet or narrator looks out rather than within, and if he or she does att ...more
Cat
Jan 19, 2016 Cat rated it really liked it
(more like 4.5 stars)
Poems that read like stories of long lost civilisations hidden in the jungle.
I didn't like all the poems in the collection, but the ones I did, I LOVED. First book I read by Ondaatje and it won't be the last.
Efemia
Sep 23, 2016 Efemia rated it really liked it
4.5 rating

The title says it all. These poems are as personal as someone’s handwriting. Culturally and emotionally at times inscrutable to the reader, but that’s what I love about it. Lyrical, really incredible words and rhythm, in tight little patterns, that read so well in your questioning voice on a quiet night in a bubblebath, which I did :)

You cannot really project too much on to what Ondaatje hides alluringly from you, I think - so you are left just to behold the poetry's patent beauty and
Amy
Aug 19, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
Perhaps I have to be in the right mood for a book of poetry to speak to Me. Or maybe his other book of poems, The Cinnamon Peeler, was just much better than this one. I think I only "felt" or liked 3 passages in the entire book:

The women of Boralesgamuwa
uproot lotus in mid-river
skin reddened by floating pollen

Songs to celebrate the washing
of arms and bangles

The laughter when husbands are away

An uncaught prawn hiding by their feet

The three folds on their stomachs
considered a sign of beauty

They t
Kasandra
Jul 05, 2013 Kasandra rated it really liked it
Beautiful, lyrical meditations and musings on war, lost civilizations and ways of life, and the erotic/romantic, as well as poems about the poet's personal past history. All intermingle in a spiritual, graceful, balanced way that propels the reader forward but leaves enough mystery for repeated readings. This made me want to learn more about Sri Lanka's history, and I found the writing to be almost painterly in its imagery, deft and subtle without ever veering into cliche or being heavy-handed, ...more
Cynthia Egbert
Aug 08, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it liked it
While I appreciate his prose better than his poetry, there is beauty in this work. It offers a glimpse into another culture with poetry, which I tend to believe is the best way to view a culture. I found it fascinating. And there were a few poems that transcended culture and touched me based my own experiences.

THE DISTANCE OF A SHOUT

We lived on the medieval coast
south of the warrior kingdoms
during the ancient age of the winds
as they drove all things before them.

Monks from the both came
down our
Ana
Jan 20, 2016 Ana rated it liked it
This book was my first step toward my goal of "reading more poetry this year." To be fair, I have not read much poetry since college, but I had mixed feelings about this collection. There are shining moments, particularly when it seems as if Ondaatje is artfully conveying the myths of some faraway land through gorgeous metaphors and symbols (burial, hair, trees). However, there are also times when Ondaatje attempts to build these worlds and instead falls flat.

Inspired by his native Sri Lanka an
Samuel
Oct 29, 2013 Samuel rated it liked it
Ondaatje is a brilliant technician. I just didn't feel much of an emotional connection to most of the poems ("The Great Tree" and "The Story" excepted).

Poetry is like that. It's so personal that, though one can identify the technical aspects that succeed or don't, it's awfully hard to predict what will have that deep emotional resonance.

Or at least, that's how I feel today.
Harperac
Jan 17, 2014 Harperac rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canada, poetry, india
This is a phenomenal book of poetry. I came to it skeptical, after reading a few snipes about Ondaatje's "chopped prose", and hearing him being pushed aside in that new Modern Canadian Poetry anthology from the UK. Ondaatje, though, couldn't be resisted. This is poetry both spare and luxurious, and, frankly, gorgeously romantic. From the opening poem, "A Gentleman Compares His Virtue to a Piece of Jade", we are in a world of fantastical vision and mythic history. I have to say, it took me a bit ...more
Katie
Aug 02, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A lovely reminder for the need to keep in touch with our own human capabilities and sensuality in the wake of technology. I loved The English Patient and didn't know Ondaatje also wrote poetry. He's wonderful with both genres.
Kivrin Engle
Jun 12, 2012 Kivrin Engle rated it it was amazing
I love this collection and each time I reread it, I feel like I am reading it for the first time ever. I sit and savor each word, like I would sit and savor each sip of a cup of strong black tea.
KarmA1966
Mar 18, 2015 KarmA1966 rated it really liked it
Ondaatje uses the symbolism of burials and of digging up the dead in returning to his native land of Sri Lanka in this fine collection of poems.

Fans of Ondaatje's novels will be familiar with the themes here--love that's lost or only a fading memory due to clashes of culture, racism, classism.

But these poems are strongest when Ondaatje digs up the past to better understand the present. He describes this horrifically in "Buried" a cycle of poems about genocide in Sri Lanka and how the monks bur
Sandra
Sep 16, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
The language of these poems is as rich as is Sri Lanka, as is its myths, as is desire that this place evokes. Ondaatje conveys a longing for what was, what is, never complete but purified by myth or memory, what will always be, as Buddha statues are hidden in the jungle. These last lines of the final poem “Last Ink” capture an elusive certainty that moves like a hand writing:

The moment in the heart
where I roam restless, searching
for the thin border of the fence
to break through or leap.

Leaping
Danny Daley
Jun 26, 2015 Danny Daley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first thing I'd ever read by award winning writer Michael Ondaatje, and I was blown away. I read the entire collection in a single sitting, while still reflecting on the work as I read, and was captured by every word.

The collection focuses on Ondaatje's childhood, growing up in Sri Lanka; his memories of the history, traditions, smells, sights, etc. I've never been there, physically, and yet through these poems I felt that I could get a sense of the place. I loved this book.
Syringa Smyrna
Sherran Clarence
Nov 20, 2015 Sherran Clarence rated it it was amazing
Mesmerisingly beautiful poetry. I love every single poem in this collection. Some, like Step, have stayed with me since the first reading. Collections like this can be dipped into as and when you need soul soothing, or beautiful words to elevate or collaborate with your mood. Often about grief or loss, Ondaatje's collected poems in this slim book are simple, elegant and deeply pleasurable to read and savour.
Lauren
Aug 16, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
In topics ranging from love and loss, politics and religion, landscape and culture, Michael Ondaatje weaves an intricate spider's web of words. And yet, despite the richness of language and image, I had trouble connecting to many of the poems, with two notable exceptions: The Story, a fable of time and preparing for war, and Last Ink that weaves images of love and the act of writing into an intoxicating spell.
Chaynyth
Sep 20, 2016 Chaynyth rated it really liked it
Beautiful, haunting. Many pieces that hurt due to subject matter (wars of Sri Lanka, political and social tensions, some sexually explicit poems), overall a gorgeous collection. Definitely a book I'd love to add to my own collection.
Donald Quist
Sep 17, 2012 Donald Quist rated it really liked it
I really liked this collection. There were some standout pieces, "Buried," "The Great Tree," "The Story," and "Wells" a simple poem that explores "the repeated pleasure of finite things." "The Nine Sentiments" also featured some incredible lines: "My path to this meeting was lit by lighting" / "I hold you the way astronomers draw constellations for each other in the markets of wisdom." Whoa.

True, Handwriting was not as enjoyable as The Cinnamon Peeler, but I felt the poems work together better
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"Handwriting is Michael Ondaatje's first new book of poetry since The Cinnamon Peeler. The exquisite poems collected here draw on history, mythology, landscape, and personal memories to weave a rich tapestry of images that reveal the longing for--and expose the anguish over--lost loves, homes, and language, as the poet contemplates scents and gestures and evokes a time when "handwriting occurred on waves, / on leaves, the scripts of smoke" and remembers a woman's "laughter with its / inta
Amey
Mar 21, 2016 Amey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, authors
House on a red cliff

There is no mirror in Mirissa

the sea is in the leaves
the waves are in the palms

old languages in the arms
of the casuarina pine
parampara

parampara, from
generation to generation

The flamboyant a grandfather planted
having lived through fire
lifts itself over the roof

unframed

the house an open net

where the night concentrates
on a breath,
on a step
a thing or gesture
we cannot be attached to

The long, the short, the difficult minutes
of night

where even in darkness
there is no horizon without
Rainey
Apr 22, 2014 Rainey rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, 140-in-2014
While I enjoy Ondaatje's prose, I did not enjoy this collection of poems. They were a little too full of history and province and a little too lacking in passion.
Lindsey
Jun 19, 2008 Lindsey rated it really liked it
When I read "The English Patient" back in high school, I remember thinking that Ondaatje's writing was much more lyrical than most novelists', and the intensely beautiful language of these poems confirms that view. He has such a light touch, and this ideally complements his intimate subject matter. The fact that most of the poems are set in his native Sri Lanka makes them even more intriguing and adds to the airy feel of the words. While I enjoyed many of the pieces in this volume, by far my fav ...more
Savvy
Jun 03, 2008 Savvy rated it really liked it
Lovely, Lyrical, and Lusty!

Michael Ondaaatje walks with you into his Sri Lanka where the richness there inspires the lush lingering prose that issues from his pen.

In "THE SIYABASLAKARA" he begins....

"In the 10th century, the young princess
entered a rock pool like the moon

with a blue cloud

Her sisters
who dove, lit by flares,
were lightning

Water and erotics

The path from king to rainmaking"......

It is indeed a rich and luminous landscape that he portrays.

This captivating,
Tyler Jones
Jul 23, 2014 Tyler Jones rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Undeniably well crafted poems, but they also seemed muted and less vibrant than his earlier works.
Destroydecay
Mar 26, 2012 Destroydecay rated it did not like it
If I could actually give this book zero stars, I would. I hated it. What's the purpose of stringing together images that only a certain group of people would get? I mean, I get that poetry is for the poet and for nobody else. But why publish this atrocity, expecting people to understand. We want to be let in, I googled almost everything for some background. All I got was a poet/speaker who is unsure of himself and his ability as a poet.

I can write better than this crap. I might have an ego, but
scarlettraces
Jan 14, 2015 scarlettraces rated it it was amazing
Exemplary.
Desmond Beddoe
Aug 02, 2014 Desmond Beddoe rated it really liked it
The poems transport the reader to exotic places and sacred histories while evoking all the senses to share the experience.
Benjamin Karam
Mar 11, 2015 Benjamin Karam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it is "the memory of a woman walking down stairs".
Hyla
May 24, 2014 Hyla rated it it was amazing
I love everything he writes.
  • True Stories
  • Vita Nova
  • Selected Poems, 1960-1990
  • Second Space: New Poems
  • These Are My Rivers: New and Selected Poems, 1955-1993
He was born to a Burgher family of Dutch-Tamil-Sinhalese-Portuguese origin. He moved to England with his mother in 1954. After relocating to Canada in 1962, Ondaatje became a Canadian citizen. Ondaatje studied for a time at Bishops College School and Bishop's University in Lennoxville, Quebec, but moved to Toronto and received his BA from the University of Toronto and his MA from Queen's Universit ...more
More about Michael Ondaatje...

“For the first forty days a child
is given dreams of previous lives. Journeys, winding paths,
a hundred small lessons
and then the past is erased.”
57 likes
“I want to die on your chest but not yet she wrote sometime in the 13th century of our love” 17 likes