Start by marking “Patience with God: The Story of Zacchaeus Continuing In Us” as Want to Read:
Patience with God: The Story of Zacchaeus Continuing In Us

Patience with God: The Story of Zacchaeus Continuing In Us

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  10 reviews
For all the debate about belief and nonbelief in today’s world—and how everyone becomes pigeonholed by one or the other— Tomáš Halík teaches that God requires us to persevere with our doubts, carry them in our hearts, and allow them to lead us to maturity. For Halík, patience is the main difference between faith and atheism. Faith, hope, and love are three aspects of patie ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Doubleday Religion (first published January 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Patience with God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patience with God

Donna
This book isn't a quick read, and I found it somewhat challenging. I read a little of it and put it aside for several months. I'm reading the Bible, so when I picked up "Patience with God" again, maybe it helped that I had a more complete point of reference. Halfway through, it seemed to pick up.

The author was a psychotherapist during the communist era in the former Czechoslovakia. During that time, he was secretly ordained as a priest in the Catholic Church. Imagine having to keep something lik
Emily
I was really looking forward to reading this book. I wanted to like it. There is a situation in my life (as most people probably have) where I could use more patience. Where I find myself growing impatient with God and His plan for me. I hoped that this book would help me gain better perspective.

For me, it was too much history, too much about atheists and atheism and not enough material that was applicable to my life. Maybe others will read it and find deeper meaning that I missed in the histori
Kyle
What if atheism is not a disease that needs eradicated? What if it isn’t an enemy that needs vanquished? What if atheism isn’t the opponent of faith? What if atheism lays on the same continuum of faith? What if it is the atheist—the vocal, passionate, and suffering atheist—who stands in solidarity with the kenotic Christ? What if it is the atheist who best understands the derelict cries of the godforsaken Christ of Golgotha?

In his new book Patience with God, Thomas Halík argues that the atheist
Megan
Thanks to Goodreads for the giveaway!

I give this book five stars for the premise but only one star for readability. I fully support Halik's premise that Christians should follow the example of Christ and reach out to those on the "fringe" of society like Zacchaeus. Those who are rejected or ignored by the mainstream church are often those most in need of the love of Christ. Sadly, they are the ones most often shunned by Christians.

There was a great quote on the first page that has stuck in my mi
Poetreehugger
January, 2011:Very interesting. Having patience with the silence or seeming absence of God. I learned a lot from this book. Tomas Halik has a thought-provoking concept of atheists as fellow travelers on the road toward God, with the difference being a matter of patience. Of course, a not insignificant matter. This is only one of the insights that has stuck with me after readingthe book, and I have not done justice to the depth of thought put into the idea, with these few words in this review
Rere
KrisAnn
I'm not done with this book yet and I think it will take me some time as during the summer I'm usually much more interested in lighter reading and this is not really a light, fun beach read. I do enjoy the premise thus far and the fact that it makes me think about my faith and my beliefs. I'll continue reading and add more to this review when I complete the book.
Laurie
Jul 19, 2009 Laurie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laurie by: got it free through a GoodReads giveaway
This was a really hard book to get through. I understood the basic ideas that the author put forth, but I thought he could have written more in layman's terms and not just assumed that everyone in the world was as familiar with Nietzsche as he was.
Jeremy
A beautiful book - and one that I will be reading again, because there's just too much to catch in one reading. Like all great books, it provided some answers while raising further questions.
Compots
Christianity and mystery explained so well by a Catholic Czech.
Poppy Fields
Inspirational. It gave me alot to think about. I enjoyed it.
Son Lucius
Son Lucius marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Pedro Victor hugo
Pedro Victor hugo is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2015
Denise Kehrer
Denise Kehrer is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2015
Oliver
Oliver marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Patrick Walsh
Patrick Walsh marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Francisco Caramelo
Francisco Caramelo marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
tonolmo
tonolmo marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Ryan Hayes
Ryan Hayes marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Mattan
Mattan marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Szymon Grzelak
Szymon Grzelak marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Nico
Nico marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Mariana Teixeira
Mariana Teixeira is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2014
Joana Penetra
Joana Penetra is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tomáš Halík is a Czech public intellectual, Roman Catholic priest, and scholar.
More about Tomáš Halík...
Night of the Confessor: Christian Faith in an Age of Uncertainty Co je bez chvění, není pevné Oslovit Zachea Vzdáleným nablízku  Stromu zbývá naděje