Start by marking “Fearless Fourteen (Stephanie Plum, #14)” as Want to Read:
Fearless Fourteen (Stephanie Plum, #14)

Fearless Fourteen (Stephanie Plum #14)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  62,252 ratings  ·  2,821 reviews
Personal vendettas, hidden treasure, and a monkey named Carl will send bounty hunter Stephanie Plum on her most explosive adventure yet.

The Crime: Armed robbery to the tune of nine million dollars

Dom Rizzi robbed a bank, stashed the money, and did the time. His family couldn t be more proud. He always was the smart one.

The Cousin: Joe Morelli

Joe Morelli, Dom Rizzi, and Do
Published June 23rd 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fearless Fourteen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fearless Fourteen

Cherise
I’m not going to give a book synopsis. What I am going to do is say goodbye to one of my all time favorite series. The last couple of books have been horrible, silly and ridiculous; this one was no exception.

The characters I once loved and look forward all year to hearing from are barely visible. The little quirks that used to make them unique and funny are now taking over their entire persona making them slightly moronic. The dialogue that used to be naturally witty seems forced and contrived.
Julie (jjmachshev)
OK. I may have my breath back now from laughing so hard. I just finished Janet Evanovich's "Fearless Fourteen" starring Stephanie Plum, Ranger, and Joe and I literally laughed, snorted, and guffawed my way through this book. I've read and heard some of the bad-mouthing this book has gotten and although I understand some people are anxious for Stephanie to make a choice between Ranger and Joe, I, for one, am just happy to keep reading about Stephanie's wild and zany life.

This time Stephanie has q
Anushka
You know what I realized after reading a Stephanie Plum book after such a long gap?
That you should read Stephanie Plum book after long gaps.

Last time I read this series, I read around 7 books at once and that's why I found them boring and losing their touch as the series progressed.

Yes, these books are repetitive but they are just full of mindless fun, you should concentrate more on the "fun" part or else it gets boring for you. I had thought I wouldn't be able to read this series beyond 13th bo
Julie
After Lean Mean Thirteen I swore I was not going to go out and buy the hardcover off the shelf. I was disappointed. And then I listened to the Audio book and the interview with Janet at the end. I was more then disappointed I was MAD. JE and other people I gather, since reading other reviews, keep rambling on about this love triangle. Joe Steph and Ranger and Steph not being able to choose. Choose? Steph is living with Joe, sleeping with Joe. Ranger gets what? Not much of anything. He's in the b ...more
LJ
FEARLESS FOURTEEN (Ama. Sleuth/Humor-Stephanie Plum-New Jersey, Cont) – Poor
Evanovich, Janet – 14th in series
St. Martin’s Press, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780312349516

First Sentence: In my mind, my kitchen is filled with crackers and cheese, roast chicken leftovers, farm fresh eggs, and coffee beans ready to grind.

Stephanie keeps suspecting someone has been in the basement of her boyfriend, police detective Joe Morelli. Stephanie is baby-sitting teenaged “Zook” after him mother was arrested. Z
K.D. Absolutely
I have been seeing so many books by Janet Evanovich in my favorite second-hand bookstore. They are almost paper-thin and cost P10 (~$0.23) so I said, why not pick one of these and try. Wrong move. This book, Fearless Fourteen is part of a series called Stephanie Plum and so I had to know the background of the characters found in most of the 13 earlier books.

Stephanie Plum is likened by Evanovich to Seinfeld, a central character that the rest of the characters revolve around. Plum is a bounty hu
Lindsay
I was very frustrated with this one.

I almost gave up several times, but stuck with it. If this had been a stand-alone book it would have immediately gone in the garbage, but since it's a Plum, I'm obligated to keep it along with the rest of the collection.

The side characters are downright annoying in this book (Brenda, Dom, Carl the Monkey to name a few) and even the regulars just didn't seem right. The whole thing felt thrown together, almost like Evanovich just wanted the money and could care
Relyn
Aug 31, 2008 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Relyn by: a library book store clerk originally got me started on this ser
OK. This is the first time I have ever admitted to reading these books. Make that the second time. I told a friend who I already knew loved the books. I am taking a big leap of faith that I don't loose serious-reader points in my friends' estimations. I've talked about brain candy before. These books aren't even candy. They are more like, a dessert buffet. Absolutely no redeeming nutritional value, but a real pleasure to consume.

These books are funny! FUNNY! They are. Yes, canned humor and some
Margarita
I really enjoyed this series early on. Now it's getting a little old, and this book in particular was quite thin on story. I got pretty impatient with Stephanie always being called, alternately by the men in her life, "cupcake" and "babe". I would like to see this series take a fresh new turn.
Dianna
Okay, my rating isn't really objective - I'll admit that now. I'm a Ranger girl, and he doesn't figure prominently in this book, so I gave it a poor rating. Otherwise, it's a good, average member of the series. Not really worth the wait, imo, but once again, I'm biased. I'm also a bit disappointed that she seems to be writing towards making Joe and Steph a permanent couple.

There's an interview with Evanovich on the web (romancenovels.tv) where she says she wanted to make this series into a kind
Dolly
Jun 21, 2008 Dolly rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: fluffreading
What a nadir for this series. Mystery? There wasn't one. Mr Secret Identity? I'd spoil it for ya, but it wouldn't really be a surprise. Or in any way interesting. At all. The whole who-is-Zook's-baby-daddy thing? I'd spoil that for you as well, but again: it would be a big ol' letdown.

Even the funny bits weren't funny in this book. Ms Evanovich apparently got ahold of an online dictionary for MMORPG slang and made up a subplot based on it. She got some of the terms way wrong. It was painful to r
Alison
I like some of these books better than others, I think they started going down hill after 11 (even though, as a whole I believe I gave them all 5 stars) but until this book I have never been completely disappointed.
I am so sad to say goodbye to Stephanie Plum. She did give me many hours of enjoyment.
Kattie
Sep 04, 2008 Kattie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have read 1 - 13 and are addicted.
Recommended to Kattie by: No one - I heard it was bad
I gave this book two stars because eleven thru thirteen were so much better.

When I read the synopsis on the back cover that there were new thrills including a monkey named Carl, my first thought was, "oh man, she is way out of ideas for these books and is now resorting to gimmicks like adding a monkey."
I was relived to find that not only did Carl the monkey not have a substantial part in the book, he was barely mentioned in two places. Still don't know why he was added.
Another problem I have wi
Aimee
Stephanie Plum is back along with the regulars - Lula, Connie, Mom, Dad, Grandma Mazur, Tank, Bob the dog and of course Joe and Ranger. And some new characters were introduced - a young boy named Zook who is into video games; a once-famous but now sort of has-been singer named 'Brenda'; her stalker Gary and of course various 'skips' that Stephanie tries to apprehend along the way. I will admit that I still get excited when Evanovich comes out with a new book in this series. This is simply becaus ...more
Caitie
NEEDS MOAR RANGER. I thought this book was less eventful than your average installment of Stephanie Plum's misadventures, and I thought the Brenda-related story line was a bust. But what the book lacked in plot, it made up for with actual progress in the love triangle, GASP. Or maybe not so much *actual* progress as really hitting home how much progress there's been already. I talked about it in detail over here.
Deborah
Not as good as her last few. I still enjoyed it of course, there were some fun moments as usual, but I thought it kind of drug on a bit.
I think she needs to do something a bit different. Maybe concentrate the main story on one of the other characters, Grandma or Lula, or even Ranger. One of them could get in a fix and Steph could help get them out of it. Give some back story on them etc.
She seems to be in a bit of a rut, and needs a bit of change.
Christel
I will be serious this one time. I could not finish it!! I have loved all the Plum books until this one and I have never been so disappointed in my reading life as of a book. I probably will not read another one.
Betsy
I became a fan of the Stephanie Plum Series a few years ago and quickly read all of the books up to that point. I must say that I enjoy the earlier books better. Over time, just as happens with many long term sitcoms, the characters have become more "comic strip"-like and the story lines serve to showcase the characters rather than the reverse.
In book 14, there is less tension in the long-running love triangle between Joe-Stephanie-Ranger, and can anyone believe that a true love connection will
Heather
Well….after fourteen sometimes funny, occasionally trite, often steamy and always relatable books, I feel it is time to bid farewell to Stephanie Plum. I know there are two more installments left to go, and who knows how many will be published in the future but Janet, my friend; thou hast beat your literary horse with a wooden mallet, repeatedly.

Stephanie is no longer funny. What was once endearing commitment phobia, now reeks of egotism, selfishness and just a wee bit of sluttiness. After four
Lain
Whew. After paying full price for this in hardback at an airport bookstore, I was so relieved to find that I enjoyed it MUCH more than the previous few entries in this series. Finally, I felt we were back to all that I loved about Stephanie and gang, without the formulaic feel that 12 and 13 had.

Sure, there's everything you can expect from a Plum mystery -- a wild Grandma Mazur, a hot Joe and Ranger, a crazy Lula, and more -- but Stephanie's quest for a missing $9 million and a kidnapped woman w
Amber
This was a pretty good installment of the Stephanie Plum series. Stephanie Plum is back and this time she is babysitting Loretta's son Mario a.k.a. Zook all the while trying to keep away from Brenda's crazy stalker and ends up with another mystery to solve that resolves around $9 million dollars and Dominic Rizzi who had robbed a bank and hid the keys to the money in Morelli's basement. Can Stephanie solve the mystery and find out why someone killed a guy in Morelli's basement before she ends up ...more
Dale
While this isn't the best book of hers to date, I think it still gives us fans of Stephanie and the gang a worthwhile read. There are still plenty of funny parts, maybe not as many as previous installments. These books are not literary masterpieces so I don't expect as such. I don't think a fictional character is expected to choose in an imaginary love triangle. I like both Ranger and Joe so long as they are still around I don't mind the strings the are pulled along by. I will continue on with t ...more
Rhonda
If you love Plum for the edgy writing, great wit, fantastic plot, and wonderful characters, forget Fearless Fourteen. Plum has always been more than just a breezy, silly, summer read for me.

I am invested in the lives of these characters. What I got this year is slapstick, unresolved sub plots, villains with no names, subject matter bordering on the distasteful, recycled plots and my favorite characters very out of character. I even recognized things said by one character in past books, now bein
Mahlet
Liisa
Jun 24, 2008 Liisa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Loyal Stephanie Plum fans .... but that's it!
I love Stephanie Plum. Joe. Ranger. Grandma Mazur. But the last few Plum adventures by Janet Evanovich haven't had the same WOW factor as the earlier books.... or if I am being brutally honest, any WOW at all.

And I feel guilty saying that because I for one, don't want the series to end (or at the very least quite yet) but I also don't want to the series to continue if this is an indication of what there is to "look forward to"!

It hurts to remember the good old days - days of reading a Plum adven
Trudy
Here's the bottom line for me: I laughed harder at the book jacket and the first paragraph than I did at anything I remember from the rest of the book. I usually have underlines and stars all over the book to highlight funnies for my mom, but in this case, I didn't find myself reaching for the pencil all that often. I do generally love these books, but in this case, I just didn't feel it.

The plot was pretty solid (at least compared to other JE mysteries), but there were too many sub-plots that
Julianne
Jun 30, 2008 Julianne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Plum Fans and those needing a lit break
All Done. To be fair to Stephanie, I started reading these books in November of 2006. When I caught up, 13 had just come out. I was able to read one after the other, without ever getting "geared up" for the next big one. This has kept my expectations just at an even keel.

Those who are giving worse reviews of this one are expecting too much. If I just started the series and this was in the middle, it would be fine (a "filler" book). I look at this series like The Babysitters Club when I was a kid
Holly Booms Walsh
I love these characters, and have treasured reading the books each year as Janet Evanovich puts them out, but as many reviewers have said, the speed that she is cranking them out may be contributing to their less than stellar contents. Maybe I'm getting tired of Stephanie not choosing either Joe Or Ranger, maybe I don't find Dolly Parton-knockoff side characters interesting enough to carry a book, or maybe Stephanie, who was really starting to grow as a person in the 8-9-10-11 book range is reve ...more
Diane
Nov 15, 2008 Diane rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a break.
Recommended to Diane by: Colleen
Sometimes a girl just has to take a break from the serious issues of the day and read a Stephanie Plum book. This is book number 14 and Stephanie seems to be wearing down under the strain of all the mishaps that make her life a living hell. However, she still has the two men, Joe and Ranger, lusting after her body, a body that never seems to show the ill effects of chowing down on donuts, pizza, fried chicken, and whatever other piece of cholesterol-raising, high calorie food that comes her way. ...more
Brionna
While none of the books in this series are quality literature - the writing is mediocre, stories formulaic and plots redundant - this book lacks what the other books had. The endearing, though insultingly stereotypic characters lost their appeal in this book. I poured through it out of a sense of obligation to the series and was glad to have wasted time reading on a holiday weekend during which one is supposed to relax. Relax, I did. Think, I did not. My brain became more and more numb with each ...more
how long can it go on? 38 365 Jul 27, 2014 09:06PM
The Women's Myste...: #17 Fearless Fourteen 1 2 Aug 10, 2013 06:56AM
Ending 4 82 Jan 31, 2012 11:56PM
Join in the discussions! 1 12 Apr 30, 2009 09:27PM
  • S is for Silence (Kinsey Millhone, #19)
  • Unscrewed (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery #3)
  • Mayhem in High Heels (High Heels, #5)
  • Curse of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #2)
  • Death Perception (Psychic Eye Mystery, #6)
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • Purity in Death (In Death, #15)
  • 3 Men and a Body (Body Movers, #3)
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
More about Janet Evanovich...

Stephanie Plum (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)
  • Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)
  • Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)
  • Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)
  • High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5)
  • Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)
  • Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)
  • Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8)
  • To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9)
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4) Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)

“The elevator doors opened, and Ranger stepped out and spied Tank stretched out on the carpet.

"Fainted," I said.

Ranger walked to Tank and stood hands on hips, staring down at him. "Tank doesn't faint. I've been in firefights with him. He's a rock."

"Well, the rock fainted.”
108 likes
“I looked over at him. "Is that a proposal?"

There was total silence for a couple beats. "I'm not sure. It just popped out."

"Let me know when you're sure."

"Would you say yes?" Morelli asked.

"I'm not sure.”