Start by marking “Almost Home: Stories of Hope and the Human Spirit in the Neonatal ICU” as Want to Read:
Almost Home: Stories of Hope and the Human Spirit in the Neonatal ICU

Almost Home: Stories of Hope and the Human Spirit in the Neonatal ICU

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Christine Gleason brings to life the triumphs, hopes, and struggles that take place in the intensive care of newborns. Christine Gleason, one of today's most prominent pediatricians, is also a born storyteller who takes readers into life and death situations encountered in the neonatal intensive care unit.
Published April 7th 2009 by Kaplan Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Home

Ellie Revert
May 18, 2009 Ellie Revert rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
It wouldn't hurt any of us to read this book. How these doctors and nurses do the work they do, and get up and do it again the next day, is just about beyond me---
Dina P.
tentang perjuangan bayi-bayi prematur dalam memulai kehidupan mereka. juga dokter-dokter yang membantu perjuangan mereka.

bagus banget!
Danielle
This book is written by a neonatalogist who has spent her career in the NICU. The overall path of the book takes you through her career while also touching somewhat on her personal life, but each chapter is devoted to a single NICU patient that she was involved in treating. It was a really interesting look into the life of the NICU, and I appreciated the fact that she did not shy away from sharing the hard stories where the patient doesn't survive and the outcomes are not good as well as writing ...more
Lindsaygossrn
The absolutely most realistic and heart-wrenching book of tales of life in the NICU. The unique situations, the amazing babies, the stories that stick out are always the ones we remember and they make as much of an impact on those of us who work in the NICU as they do to anyone else. The fight, the struggle, the faith, the bond you build with and for these babies is indescribable and Dr Gleeson does an amazing job of telling her experiences.
Diana
A neonatologist recounts the stories of premature patients she has worked on.

One of the better books I have read in a long time. While the stories vacillated between hopeful and hopeless, it was completely engaging in every way. My only quibble would be that I wish there had been more of the more recent cases, instead of just one. I would have loved to read more about the newer technologies; instead we spend most of our time in the eighties.
Molly Sargen
I have wanted to be a neonatologist since I was in 4th grade (2008-09). I read this book for the first time in the summer before 6th grade. Since then, I have read it nearly 10 times and continue to love it. It has enough medical terminology to satisfy my desire for the knowledge. However, it is also written in stories that are enjoyable. When you read it thoroughly there is a good chance that you will cry.
Michelle Bouchor
To start off, do not read this if you're pregnant. This book was remarkable in the ways that doctors have to struggle to save premature babies. I cannot fathom the decisions doctors have to make when having an infant's life in their hands. It was incredibly sad to read, but also very uplifting. Whether you're a mother or not, make sure to have a box of Kleenex with you while you read it.
DJ
I was amazed at the medical professionals as well as the families go through with these tiny babies. The chapters are each named for one significant case in Dr. Gleason's career story and are quite moving in many ways. This is a small book, but really very important and interesting. It is a story of amazing triumphs and amazing sadness, too.
Cymiki
In my world having a normal baby was just my view of the world. This book opened my eyes to the wonders of baby development and how so many mechanisms can go awry...leading to premature babies weighing no more than soup cans. Their struggles as seen through the NICU physician is both amazing and heartbreaking.
Sydney Bender
Marvelous book of multiple cases which truly altered the author personally and professionally. Christine Gleason includes some medical jargon without losing humanistic readers lost in the labyrinth. Though occasionally rough emotionally, the book is well worth a read.
Chris
Since I don't have children, I ordinarily wouldn't be interested in a book about a Neonatal ICU, but it's the next one for my book group and once I started reading the preview on Amazon, I was hooked. I even bought it since I couldn't find it in the library.
Paula
This book is perfect if neonatology is actually something that interests you. The stories are nice and short and she balances the happy stories with the sad ones very well.
Nadine
A wonderful book! A NICU Doctor describes her experience with different premie patients. Well written and very informative. Highly recommended!
Allie Lyle
I absolutely loved reading this book. This is definitely the right field of medicine for me.
Beth
An interesting collection of stories about babies in the NICU during Gleason's career.
Paige
Touching stories about some of a doctor's experience in a neonatal ICU.
Jenny
An emotional look into a Doctors life in the hospital
Ofer
I hate the title, but I love the book.
Alicia Hunter
Very good look at life in NICU.
miriam scafone
miriam scafone marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
blah
blah marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
seymour teicher
seymour teicher marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
BILEL
BILEL added it
Dec 17, 2014
Melanie K.
Melanie K. marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Kenzie
Kenzie marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Natalie Pond
Natalie Pond marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • A Final Arc of Sky: A Memoir of Critical Care
  • Something for the Pain: Compassion and Burnout in the ER
  • The Death of Kings: A Medical History of the Kings and Queens of England
  • Stepping Stones: Interviews with Seamus Heaney
  • Cheating Death: The Doctors and Medical Miracles that Are Saving Lives Against All Odds
  • What the Corpse Revealed
  • My Life, Deleted
  • Critical Care: A New Nurse Faces Death, Life, and Everything in Between
  • Body Drama: Real Girls, Real Bodies, Real Issues, Real Answers
  • The Queen of Whale Cay: The Eccentric Story of 'Joe' Carstairs, Fastest Woman on Water
  • Byron in Love