Start by marking “Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Holy Bible: Revised St...

Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  4,561 ratings  ·  314 reviews
The Revised Standard Version is the English translation of the Christian biblical canon, composed of the Old and New Testaments. This revision is based on the 1901 American Standard Version, and attempts to provide an accessible and literal English translation.
Leather Bound, 293 pages
Published 1952 by Thomas Nelson & Sons (first published January 1st 1920)

K.D. Absolutely
Final Review

So, this is it. Today, I finished reading the Holy Bible. Cover to cover. I spent a total of 20 months reading all the 66 books. I read almost everyday save from those days when I did not feel like it. Most of those days were during the time that I felt disillusioned or uninspired. I started reading this in 2010 with a group of friends but they stopped one after the other so I was left without reading buddies.

Was it worth the time? DEFINITELY YES. I now feel closer to God. I am happy
Feb 01, 2009 Dylan rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Dylan by: Door to door salesman
Jan 14, 2008 Charissa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most
Recommended to Charissa by: My grandmother, the Jehovah's Witness
Shelves: weltanschauung
I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me.

Okay, not really. This book has left me largely untouched in any substantial way, except for the times it had caused me to shout out uncontrollably, "WHAT The FUCK??!! Are you KIDDING ME??!!!" Such as:

Jephthah made a vow to the Lord: "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return ... will be the Lord's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering..." and the Lord gave them into his hands....
I want to address some of the recurring comments about the bible that I find quite odd.

"This is the word of god!" -
As a secular person I don't believe that; I believe that the bible is mythology that is largely based on historical events and is one of the most influential documents on western civilization.

"Authors seem to change between books, inconsistent narrative" -
Yes, the bible is a series of many separate books, written by different people, hundreds of years apart.

"The book is Racist, Sexi
Jesus. This is a rare instance where I wish I could give a book both a 1 star and 5 star rating; it was simultaneously one of the worst and best books I've ever read. It's confusing and repetitive and boring. It's also entertaining and informative and philosophical (Ecclesiastes stands out as a high point). I sincerely think it should be read by Westerners so they can better understand our culture. Reading even the first few chapters of Genesis you stumble over numerous phrases and images you'll ...more
Liz Dehoff
This is by far my favorite translation, and it's filled with historical and linguistic footnotes. Large and unwieldy, sure, but this is an excellent reference for lay(wo)men and students alike.
Books Ring Mah Bell
Aug 17, 2009 Books Ring Mah Bell rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Books Ring Mah Bell by: my old roommate...
Shelves: religion-or-not
If my ticket to Hell was not already a given, the following review would surely set me up for eternal flames.

Growing up, the only exposure I had to anything biblical was the reading of Psalm 23 at every funeral and Corinthians at every wedding. (including my own. I married a nice Catholic boy) My first bible reading occurred when I was maybe 12, when this nice guy handed me a Gideons Bible as I was walking to school. That night, I read Revelations under my blanket with a flashlight. I proceeded
Sep 12, 2008 Maureen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Maureen by: Disciple Bible Study
Shelves: reference, religion
What did I NOT learn from this book?

This is the version of the Bible that I now use, and of the Bibles I have owned, it is the most useful. There are a number of essays at the beginning and end of the book, color maps, timelines, and all sorts of other information. Each chapter of the Bible is preceded by an introduction, placing the writing in a historical context. There are extensive footnotes on every page, explaining unfamiliar words and concepts, citing other scriptures where the ideas in t
Steve Flanagan
Jan 10, 2008 Steve Flanagan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Shelves: faith
The book of Truth, Wisdom, and Everlasting Life. It only took me 7 years to read it (1997-2003). If you read it, start & finish with the Gospels. These verses have strengthened my faith, given me the courage to walk through valleys of shadow & death, and kept my hand steady in battle. Here are some of my favorite verses:

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, Lord, for you are with me. Your shepherd’s rod and staff protect me." Psalm 23:4

“Then I hear
Karen Locklear
"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." -- Paul Simon

Anyway . . .

This is what I like about The New Oxford Annotated Bible:

1. At the beginning of each book, you get a very detailed, literary, historical, and theological criticism. This is useful in understanding the context, which is imperative when reading The Bible appropriately.

2. The footnotes are incredible. It goes into explanation of word choices and translational issues.

3. Holds The Apocrypha, something I've never
i skipped a few sections, but it was decent. lots of inconsistencies, continuity errors, etc. some nice poetry. would recommend to others who like scifi and fantasy.
No one should own a bible.

If you must, use this one. It's rather well translated and the notes are excellent.

A warning- keep out of the reach of children and the gullible.
Jan 06, 2008 Marian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I have been reading the Bible for going on 2 years with a study group that meets every week. Fascinating reading. although the Bible is not something you can pick up and understand on your own (you might quit reading after all those begettings). It requires guidance and assistance in its interpretation to understanding its meaning. Powerful, thought provoking, life changing. The bible has it all, stories of every imaginable sin and the sinners who committed them to be an example for us to learn ...more
Aaron Crofut
It doesn't matter what your beliefs are, the Bible is a key to understanding Western Civilization. While some aspects are dry, this book contains a ridiculous number of amazing stories that have had profound impacts on all of literature. This book also provides a decent historical account of the holy land during the kingdoms of Israel and of Judah.
Ben Atkins
February 2012 I set out to read the Bible in one year. I felt that I had probably read the whole thing, almost certainly the New Testament, but with-out the context or continuity. I added an extra 3 months to add the Apocrypha. I started out using the NIV and the King James. After a couple of months I added this edition of the NRSV, after a few more months I was reading this version exclusively. I even purchased a second copy so that I could keep one at work and one at home making it easier to k ...more

This was the edition of the Bible used by my theology professor in college. It seems to strike a good balance between being pretty accurate translation and still reasonably well-written, and it has good footnotes, especially for things like cross-references between books of the Bible and possible alternate connotations of words.
Chris Sosa
The best Bible on the market for students and those in need of a biblical reference source. Scholarly introductions, comprehensive annotation, and the addition of little known apocryphal material make this NRSV Bible a stellar choice among the crowded market of often sub-par biblical versions and translations.
Okay, this is the correct version of the New Testament. This one right here.
I've been working on this for a few months - a little bit each night, absorbing it as I go. I remember being really annoyed at parts I read as a teen and a proto-feminist. This time I started with the NewT and went back for the Old Testament. I was delighted to find a typo in my edition, someone's son who became king at 49 when his father died at 42 or some such. It was easy to check because the histories are duplicative (and I can't express what a pain it was to read the same info over and over ...more
I've collected and discarded countless study Bibles over the past twenty years, from topical, devotional Bibles like the Life Application to hardcore scholarly Bibles like the NOAB 2nd Edition, and almost everything in between. A few years ago, I settled on the Catholic NAB for its rigorous--and surprisingly fair--notes and commentary, and for its valuable apocrypha. That Bible, however, suffers from a very slack, lackluster translation.

The 4th edition of the NOAB is, in my opinion, the very be
"Probably the best book you've never read!"

There is not enough space to say all that should be said about this - the greatest book ever published. It is one of the primary reasons the discovery of the printing press even occurred. The world has been transformed by the Bible. It can go along way to providing all the answers to the world's problems - if only the world would use it. Alas, it is frequently misquoted by being taken out of context. It has been criticized by probably millions of people
I read the Authorised Version (KJV) now because it is is more poetic and pithy and because language has become dumbed down so far beneath the RSV now anyway that one may as well go the whole hog.

For study I read the NRSV with Anglicized text (note 'Anglicised' spelled with a 'z')because it is the more accurate translation using the latest sources (e.g. Qm'ran texts) and seems to be fairly well established. It does have an element of "inclusivity" going on which I question sometimes and think tha
The fact that 80% of Americans believe this book sets the standard for their core spiritual beliefs frightens me.
For those that wish to control people though, this book is perfect: you can find a verse that will justify anything you wish.
One more thing: My bible has the words of Jesus in red. I found it interesting that when Paul was wandering around converting people he started hearing Jesus' voice in his head. Those words were printed in red! Does that mean the crazy guy on the corner who says
This is the version I advise my students to get and to use.

The translation is, mostly, good. (Now and then I have a few quibbles, but no translation is going to be ultimately satisfying.) The notes are excellent, however, and set the texts in cultural contexts briefly but (again, usually) accurately. The editors are highly informed.
Jan 15, 2009 Karianna rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: morons and warmongers
Recommended to Karianna by: a pastor
If I could have given this half a star I would have. On top of multiple historical inaccuracies most of what is written has been proven to have belonged to previously existing religious cultures such as the Norse, Druid, and Egyptian people. I must admit though, after reading it through the first time and vomiting, I went back the second time from a non-biased point of view and looked at it in a professional capacity and can easily see how it led to the bloodiest, most violent culture in human h ...more
Of all the versions of the Bible that I have read, I find this one the most helpful. I have read about 2/3 of this version with intense study of the Old Testament (EFM)and find the annotation extremely helpful. The more I learn about how the Bible was originally written and how changes and translations have been made over the decades, I find myself getting closer and closer to my understanding of truth. In particular, the references to original language are really revealing. Other versions of th ...more
Aug 13, 2013 Heather marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
switching over to this for my New Testament study this year. Opening my KJV with columns and footnotes makes me want to just skim it and get it over with, like pulling a band aid. I'm hoping the novelty of this will get me through the rest of the NT. That's probably terrible to say, but whatever, you do what you got to do.
Skylar Burris
I'll have to check this out for my next read through of the Bible. I've read multiple versions but do not believe I have ever made it through the NRSV, and of course I'm sure the notes will offer a different (and probably decisviely more liberal) perspective than the notes in most of the study Bibles I have read.
The 1991 version by Metzger and Murphy is the best addition of this book and the one we used at USC. The newer version has deleted apocryphal information that is important to the text.
Betsey Brannen
The absolute best study Bible on the market. I purchased mine in 1998 for a college class on The Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament). I just used it Sunday morning in class.
  • Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament
  • Of Human Life: Humanae Vitae
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • English Synopsis of the Four Gospels
  • The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments and Other Rites and Ceremonies of the Church
  • Revelations of Divine Love
  • Reading the Old Testament: An Introduction
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

“15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If any one loves the world, love for the Father is not in him. 16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world. 17And the world passes away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides for ever.” 1 likes
“119[118] * Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD!  2Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart,  3who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways!  4You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently.  5O that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes!  6Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.  7I will praise you with an upright heart, when I learn your righteous ordinances.  8I will observe your statutes; O forsake me not utterly!  9How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.” 0 likes