Start by marking “Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Holy Bible: Revised St...

Anonymous

Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version

4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  1,810 ratings  ·  106 reviews
The Revised Standard Version is the English translation of the Christian biblical canon, composed of the Old and New Testaments. This revision is based on the 1901 American Standard Version, and attempts to provide an accessible and literal English translation.
Leather Bound, 293 pages
Published 1952 by Thomas Nelson & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Bible

K.D. Absolutely
Final Review

So, this is it. Today, I finished reading the Holy Bible. Cover to cover. I spent a total of 20 months reading all the 66 books. I read almost everyday save from those days when I did not feel like it. Most of those days were during the time that I felt disillusioned or uninspired. I started reading this in 2010 with a group of friends but they stopped one after the other so I was left without reading buddies.

Was it worth the time? DEFINITELY YES. I now feel closer to God. I am happy
Charissa
Jan 14, 2008 Charissa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most
Recommended to Charissa by: My grandmother, the Jehovah's Witness
Shelves: weltanschauung
I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me.

Okay, not really. This book has left me largely untouched in any substantial way, except for the times it had caused me to shout out uncontrollably, "WHAT The FUCK??!! Are you KIDDING ME??!!!" Such as:

Jephthah made a vow to the Lord: "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return ... will be the Lord's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering..." and the Lord gave them into his hands....
Turaaa
I want to address some of the recurring comments about the bible that I find quite odd.

"This is the word of god!" -
As a secular person I don't believe that; I believe that the bible is mythology that is largely based on historical events and is one of the most influential documents on western civilization.

"Authors seem to change between books, inconsistent narrative" -
Yes, the bible is a series of many separate books, written by different people, hundreds of years apart.

"The book is Racist, Sexi
Books Ring Mah Bell
Aug 17, 2009 Books Ring Mah Bell rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Books Ring Mah Bell by: my old roommate...
Shelves: religion-or-not
If my ticket to Hell was not already a given, the following review would surely set me up for eternal flames.

Growing up, the only exposure I had to anything biblical was the reading of Psalm 23 at every funeral and Corinthians at every wedding. (including my own. I married a nice Catholic boy) My first bible reading occurred when I was maybe 12, when this nice guy handed me a Gideons Bible as I was walking to school. That night, I read Revelations under my blanket with a flashlight. I proceeded
Steve Flanagan
Jan 10, 2008 Steve Flanagan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Shelves: faith
The book of Truth, Wisdom, and Everlasting Life. It only took me 7 years to read it (1997-2003). If you read it, start & finish with the Gospels. These verses have strengthened my faith, given me the courage to walk through valleys of shadow & death, and kept my hand steady in battle. Here are some of my favorite verses:

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, Lord, for you are with me. Your shepherd’s rod and staff protect me." Psalm 23:4

“Then I hear
Marian
Jan 06, 2008 Marian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I have been reading the Bible for going on 2 years with a study group that meets every week. Fascinating reading. although the Bible is not something you can pick up and understand on your own (you might quit reading after all those begettings). It requires guidance and assistance in its interpretation to understanding its meaning. Powerful, thought provoking, life changing. The bible has it all, stories of every imaginable sin and the sinners who committed them to be an example for us to learn ...more
Aaron Crofut
It doesn't matter what your beliefs are, the Bible is a key to understanding Western Civilization. While some aspects are dry, this book contains a ridiculous number of amazing stories that have had profound impacts on all of literature. This book also provides a decent historical account of the holy land during the kingdoms of Israel and of Judah.
Miriam

This was the edition of the Bible used by my theology professor in college. It seems to strike a good balance between being pretty accurate translation and still reasonably well-written, and it has good footnotes, especially for things like cross-references between books of the Bible and possible alternate connotations of words.
Marfita
I've been working on this for a few months - a little bit each night, absorbing it as I go. I remember being really annoyed at parts I read as a teen and a proto-feminist. This time I started with the NewT and went back for the Old Testament. I was delighted to find a typo in my edition, someone's son who became king at 49 when his father died at 42 or some such. It was easy to check because the histories are duplicative (and I can't express what a pain it was to read the same info over and over ...more
Derek
"Probably the best book you've never read!"

There is not enough space to say all that should be said about this - the greatest book ever published. It is one of the primary reasons the discovery of the printing press even occurred. The world has been transformed by the Bible. It can go along way to providing all the answers to the world's problems - if only the world would use it. Alas, it is frequently misquoted by being taken out of context. It has been criticized by probably millions of people
Benji
I read the Authorised Version (KJV) now because it is is more poetic and pithy and because language has become dumbed down so far beneath the RSV now anyway that one may as well go the whole hog.

For study I read the NRSV with Anglicized text (note 'Anglicised' spelled with a 'z')because it is the more accurate translation using the latest sources (e.g. Qm'ran texts) and seems to be fairly well established. It does have an element of "inclusivity" going on which I question sometimes and think tha
Seth
The fact that 80% of Americans believe this book sets the standard for their core spiritual beliefs frightens me.
For those that wish to control people though, this book is perfect: you can find a verse that will justify anything you wish.
One more thing: My bible has the words of Jesus in red. I found it interesting that when Paul was wandering around converting people he started hearing Jesus' voice in his head. Those words were printed in red! Does that mean the crazy guy on the corner who says
David Rose
Too many reviews already, so I'll keep this short.

This translation is my choice for personal devotions, and I have used my RSV continuously for the last 35 years (it has a good quality binding).
The reason for making this my devotional Bible is that it retains the beauty of the Authorised Version (King James) language while modernising it just enough for me to be comfortable with it.

It remains a supplementary choice for Bible study because of how often the translators, in my opinion, succeeded in
Hailey
Although I have not read the entire Bible yet, I have read the books of Genesis and Exodus. I loved the book of Genesis because it sets up the beginning of life. One thing I found very interesting was how sin came into the world and the consequences from Adam and Eve's decision to eat from the tree of life. I was very intrigued to find out how and why everything was made as well. Which was what kept me so knee-deep into the book. Now the book of Exodus on the other hand was mostly listing who wa ...more
Vikram Kumar
Read Book of Job, Genesis, Ecclesiastes, Judges, Kings, and Exodus of the Hebrew Bible. Read Matthew, Luke, John, and Romans of the New Testament.
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
As one who is of the faith, it is more than a little strange to be critiquing the Bible. But, man of faith that I am, I am with all things myth and Bible a strict non-literalist. Indeed, I consider the latter no different than the former. This critique will mostly be about the annotations of this particular edition.
While the translators and scholars are good about pointing out how words and phrases can differ in some translations, and are good here and there at noting when the ascribed author of
Julia
This edition includes the Old and New Testaments plus introductions, and appendices, maps, study guides, etc.

Genesis & Exodus: stories of a backward and superstitious tribe of shepherds ruled by systematic xenophobia to the point of incest, paranoia, and fratricide. Not to mention all the core systemic misogyny.

Leviticus: the laws laid out by Moses. There is not (that I know of) a sect practicing today that still follows all of these laws to the letter, and that's a good thing.

Numbers: censu
Dina (ReviewTime)
To view the photos at their full size click on "see full album". Then move your mouse over the photo, your mouse pointer will look like a little magnifiglass, then click the photo. The photos at their full size are pretty detailed. These photos were taken the date I published this article. I've owned this Bible for almost a year, and it still looks brand new. I've been using this Bible several times a week, along with my Chronological Study Bible for study. I'm impressed that this tiny Bible has ...more
Heather
My husband and I finished a "read-the-entire-Bible-in-a-year" plan yesterday. We read the Revised Standard Version, published by the American Bible Society in 1971 (not the Catholic edition--at least, the books that Catholics usually include were not in this one). The copy was given to my Dad when he was in Officer Candidate School in the U. S. Navy. Not only did it have sentimental value, but it was compact enough to carry around.

We started the journey reading at night before going to sleep, wh
Bob
June 17, 1962, I was given a Holy Bible on my Confirmation. I just finished it! (lol) Good book really and much to digest. It followed me from home to home and shelf to shelf for over 50 years, and waited patiently. As a result probably of the first New Year’s resolution I’ve ever kept I read it in 2013 following one of those guides I took off the internet. I kept some good reference type companion books near at hand which helped make sense of it all (except Syria; Syrians’ national pastime seem ...more
Kellie
The RSV translation of The Bible is stunning. The sections at the end of the New and Old Testaments that highlight major points of the various passages within are very illuminating. This is my go to Bible for anything not found within typical NIV versions of Protestant Bibles.
Lamsouth
I like this interpretation more than the New American Bible. It is a little more elegant in its wording as the NAB is simple and basic.
Ryan
After studying all 73 books in 4 years of Biblical School, two primary conclusions:

1. There is no possible way dozens of human authors could weave together this love story in such intricate fashion, over the course of 1,500 years, without inspiration from God. The connections, with Jesus Christ as the climax, are endless.

2. This is a profoundly Catholic book. To separate it from the Church founded by Jesus Christ Himself is to cut off its life. And to accept this book but not the Church that pro
David
This is my sixth or seventh year reading a new translation each year. This year I chose the RSV. It has some archaic thee, thou, thine and similar terms. I found myself automatically translating those words to more common terms as I read.

The translation seems to do a nice job, but it's not the easiest translation I've read.
Joe
A narratively redundant, intellectually insulting, and suffocatingly narrow-minded work of fiction, I just don't buy it. It's not even well written as the authors chronically resort to weak analogy and condescending monologue. For an omnipresent, all powerful creator, this "God" character (and subsequently his (holy) ghost writers the apostles) has little talent to speak of save his exhausting prolificacy and penchant for preachiness. Honestly, a box of Corn Flakes has more meaningful dialogue a ...more
Ron
I received this book from Hancock Congregational Church in Lexington, Massachusetts when I was eight years old.

This is the first version of the Bible I read cover-to-cover. The historic portions of the Old Testament make a lot more sense read in order. Psalms and Prophecy is still pretty much all over the map. I was surprised how events in the gospels and Acts could be followed on the Maps. (I didn't realize the significance of that then.)

I was 13, and still looking for the truth.

An essential re
Laura Jean
I have heard told that the RSV is the most faithful to the original Greek and Hebrew texts. This book is quite the mish-mash of literature, poetry, historical chronicle, theological treatise, and surrealism. I don't know if the moniker "Holy" applies, but it is certainly a Bible, in the sense that here you will find multiple books, by multiple authors, from multiple centuries. A must-read for understanding many allusions in western literature, and chock-a-block full of aphoristic gems.
Adam
Generally regarded by scholars around the world to be one of the most accurate translatios of the Bible into English. Some editions (such as the NRSV) even include those books found in the Orthodox and Eastern Scripture Canons, making it ideal for students of theology and history. The language is highly static and therefore more difficult to read smoothly. The best choice for Seminary classes and more advanced Biblical scholarship.
Brian
Can't say i read every line, but there are some great stories. Noah's story is pretty good and it shows the true wrath of a spiteful, vengeful god.

My only suggestion is to not read it like a history book because it's plagued with historical inaccuracies. Read it more like a book of fairy tales.

But i will warn you, it can get a bit preachy at times, so don't read it like the 'bible' if you don't like that sort of stuff.
Bob

This is a book you cannot put down. The Bible is the world's most read book by far. The Revised Standard Version is one of the easier and better English translations. The Bible was written as separate works by numerous authors over a period of more than 1,500 years, but it miraculously acts as a single story. There simply is no greater literary work in human history.

• Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament
  • The Lord
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
  • Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II
  • Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church
  • Theology of the Body for Beginners: A Basic Introduction to Pope John Paul II's Sexual Revolution
  • Fire within: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and the Gospel - On Prayer
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Quran Life Application Study Bible: NIV

“3More than that, weh rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5and hope does not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” 0 likes
“7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” 0 likes