Start by marking “Beastly Tales From Here and There” as Want to Read:
Beastly Tales From Here and There

Beastly Tales From Here and There

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  492 ratings  ·  23 reviews
From the impish to the brilliantly comic, Vikram Seth's animal fables in verse can (like Diwali sweets) be enjoyed by young and old alike. Familiar characters in a new and magical form, such as the greedy crocodile who was outwitted by the monkey or the steady tortoise who out-ran the hare, here take their place beside a newly minted gallery of characters and creatures who ...more
Hardcover
Published 2001 by Orion Books, ltd. (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Beastly Tales From Here and There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beastly Tales From Here and There

Shriya
DISCLAIMER: By the time she finished the book, the reviewer was so deeply influenced by the rhymes in this little book of tales that she couldn't keep the wannabe poet inside her from casting forth the following lines.

In world of beasts and that of men,
There have been a few occasions when
Such good books have been created
Which can be read and appreciated
By both the old and the young
And which leave a musical note on one's tongue
Whose rhythmic pattern tends to stay
With the Reader day after day
Y
Abhinav
Alright, I know what I'm gonna do here will probably in no way justify the brilliance of "Beastly Tales", but I'm gonna try nevertheless (coz I'm one arrogant show-off) to review this book in verse, using a rhyme scheme similar to the one used by Seth in this book. It's not just about what I felt about this book but also about how I chanced upon it & well, yeah that's about it.

My friends, as you may see
I did not read much poetry
But one fine evening at the Victoria
Not the falls, but the Memo
Leo
Review @ A Lot of Pages: http://tinyurl.com/qghyqm5

Reading these beautiful stories in verse, I can’t help but fall in love with poetry again, and with those fables as well. It brings magic with it. No matter what the mood, I feel these tales in verse will leave you with a smile. No. I don’t think they’ll leave you that easily either. They took me down memory lane.
Arun
Aug 12, 2013 Arun rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Beastly Tales From Here and There is a collection of ten stories written in the form of poems. All the stories are simple-minded, and rhythmic. The stories resemble Aesop's fables and that delights the reader. Suitable for anyone - from infant to senile - to read and enjoy. Seth maintains rhyme scheme throughout the book which eases the reading experience. Some verses rhyme perfectly well that you can sing the poem!
Seth communicates to us using animals as a medium. Unlike Aesop's tales which nec
Sandhya
Aug 02, 2007 Sandhya rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes verse and is fond of fables
Fun with fables

I've never been much into verse, if you exclude that brilliant satire by Alaxander Pope, The Rape Of The Lock or Milton's Paradise Lost.
Barring these classic works, I haven't really bothered with verse, especially when it comes to modern writers. Which is why, this quite simply escaped me and in any case, I'm yet to really sink my teeth into any of Vikram Seth's works.
But a very heavy recommendation by a friend, who insisted that there was possibly no better writer of verse in I
James
Adapting tales from China, Greece, the Ukraine and his homeland of India, and presenting them in rhyming verse, Vikram Seth has created a small masterpiece of fables for our time. You will meet again the tortoise and the hare, and you may recognize the greedy crocodile, but there are other tales with characters not so familiar with strange names and traits, but each with a message that can be comprehended by young and old. So short that it can easily be read in one quick session and so enjoyable ...more
Kevin Rubin
I enjoyed "Beastly Tales". A bunch of fairly short, but quite amusing poems.

Some are Vikram Seth's retelling of stories and fables from other places and a couple are his own original ones.

All revolve around animals, with humans only in the background a bit, such as the king who unwittingly provides a home and meals for bed louses, until a mosquito joins them, or the humans in the last story who want to dam a river and upset the beasts' homes...

Very fast to read with consistent rhyming and amusin
Marianne
Beastly Tales from Here and There is the 4th book of poetry by Vikram Seth. The book contains ten tales in verse, written by Seth on a day that was too hot for him to concentrate on his work. There are tales from India, China, Greece, the Ukraine and the Land of Gup. They are light-hearted and can be enjoyed by both adults and children. My personal favourite is The Goat and The Ram, which is a great choice for dinner parties, especially the lines: “They ate with pride, as if to balance Their tot ...more
Melissa
Loved this. Vikram Seth rewrote a number of folk tales from India, China, Greece and the Ukraine in rhyming couplets and ended off with two fables in the same style of his own creation. It is fun language. I would love to hear this read aloud. The final story, The Elephant and the Tragopan, was my absolute favourite - animals band together and are led by the title characters to lobby humans to save their habitat from a proposed dam.
Funn
This book is about various stories from around the world about animals but written in verse. They all have a moral to them and some of them are recognisable like The Hare and the Tortoise. I enjoyed reading them in verse form and this would be great for reading aloud to children in KS1/KS2. A great book for Literacy and poetry based lessons.
Srikanth Mantravadi
Seth is brilliant when it comes to verse.All the bloated prose-when he writes fiction-melds into pithy turns of exquisite phrase.They are incredibly rhythmic and sing song and a pure joy to read even without the little denouements he packs in at the end.
Sukanto
Revisiting folk tales in rhymed verse is a splendid thing to do! And some of the things on the reborn tales are issues that are current even today. Hard to believe these were written more than two decades ago!
Mayank Jain
This is the all time best book that i have read in my life... just plain genius... have read the stories to my sweetheart to bed.. Have re-read it severla times.. the size and the content is equally cute.
Ankit
First two poems and the last one are Great.
The rest are also good.
Good not great because I didn't like the tales
and still good because the way author has written is
absolutely delightful
Anandi
Brilliant verse, incredibly imaginative, with each line more delicious than the next. Devour these wickedly witty words now.
Jason Danely
currently reading to my son, due in late march.
Vanessa
I will read these to my children some day.
Sonia Gomes
Jan 21, 2010 Sonia Gomes rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Read it, its a fun book
Such humour, such wit, such beauty !
Ann
read March 2000
and June 1996
Vikram
a must read.... i loved it!!
Sakshi Dayal
Sakshi Dayal marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Rita Negi
Rita Negi marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Aathira Jim
Aathira Jim marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Namitha Varma
Namitha Varma marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
  • Revenge of the Mooncake Vixen
  • Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World
  • Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]
  • Heads
  • Chickens Aren't the Only Ones: A Book About Animals that Lay Eggs
  • Troll's Eye View: A Book of Villainous Tales
  • Red is a Dragon: A Book of Colors
  • Ol' Mama Squirrel
  • We Love You, Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #19)
  • Younguncle Comes to Town
  • Feluda Stories
  • Bunny My Honey
  • Bitter Fruit: The Very Best of Saadat Hasan Manto
  • Red Knit Cap Girl
Vikram Seth is an Indian poet, novelist, travel writer, librettist, children's writer, biographer and memoirist.

During the course of his doctorate studies at Stanford, he did his field work in China and translated Hindi and Chinese poetry into English. He returned to Delhi via Xinjiang and Tibet which led to a travel narrative From Heaven Lake: Travels Through Sinkiang and Tibet (1983) which won
More about Vikram Seth...
A Suitable Boy (A Suitable Boy, #1) An Equal Music The Golden Gate Two Lives From Heaven Lake: Travels Through Sinkiang and Tibet