Start by marking “Games at Twilight and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Games at Twilight and Other Stories

Games at Twilight and Other Stories

First published in 1978 and now reissued in a new cover style, a collection of 11 short stories from the author of BAUMGARTNER'S BOMBAY. Includes tales about an American wife who, homesick for rural Vermont, turns to the hippies of the Indian hills for consolation; and a painter who renders pictures of creatures he has never seen.
Published September 1st 1990 by Penguin Books (first published July 10th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Games at Twilight and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Games at Twilight and Other Stories

Josh Ang
Jan 25, 2011 Josh Ang rated it liked it
This collection of stories is set in contemporary Indian cities, but the concerns are universal, reflecting experiences of urban life.

When seemingly simple childish games of hide-and-seek lead to the unveiling of a child’s sense of belonging and exclusion in the titular story that opens this collection, the reader begins to realize that children are not exempt from the intricacies of social politics.

In the stories that follow, Desai’s cast of characters who range from children, teenagers on the
Tasmiah

Book is the best friend for most people.I like reading books and novels. Last week I presented a powerpoint about my favourite book.The name of my favorite book is “Games At Twilight” by Anita Desai.It is so important because ,Anita Desai portrayed in this story mainly child psychology.Childhood is filled with exhilarating moments of joy and glee but also moments of vulnerability and innocence and heart breaking moments of difficult lessons learned Desai reflects all of these in her story “Games
Emily
Sep 09, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Some of the language in the stories from Games at Twilight is magnificent. There is a beautiful lyricism to a great deal of Desai's prose.

There are other passages, however, which are clumsy and verbose.

I have read several reviews that complain about the lack of endings to these stories, but I will go further and say that that the severe lack of action is much worse. It often seemed that just as a story was picking up steam, that something interesting would happen, it was over. I would have like
orsodimondo
Nov 28, 2012 orsodimondo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: racconti, india
I racconti più recenti sono eccellenti: ma via via che si allontanano dal tempo presente (nel senso che sono stati scritti anni più addietro), il piacere scema progressivamente, fino al senso di ripetizione, di artificioso, fini perfino alla noia.

Gli ultimi due racconti li ho perfino evitati, stremato.

Questa di Desai, mi sembra, troppo lunga: gli ultimi sei racconti, scritti tra il 1960 e il 1970, si potevano decisamente evitare (tra l'altro, già pubblicati a suo tempo dalle Edizioni e/o) a tut
Jeff Hobbs

The farewell party --
Pigeons at daybreak --
Scholar and gypsy --
Aruna.a
very disturbing stories..with mysterious inner meanings dat leave u depressed.not the sort of book i like..but i've noticed this deppressing way in her novels like 'cry the peacock'and 'wher shall we go this summer'.
Zyan
Jan 09, 2011 Zyan rated it really liked it
hate : pineapple cake
like : games at twilight
love : private tuition with mr.bose
scared of : surface texture
Milan/zzz
Jul 13, 2009 Milan/zzz rated it liked it
Shelves: asia
I was coming back to this lovely collection from time to time and indeed Desai Senior is such a fantastic writer (in my opinion daughter should work much more to achieve her mother's level).
Proactive, Effective
Mar 03, 2009 Proactive, Effective rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-for-school
Umm...it is very exaggerated, to be honest. The author puts some very heavy wisdom into the thoughts of a young child, which makes it very biased.
Alan
Dec 10, 2009 Alan rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
read this a long time ago, and can't remember much about it, but in my old diary it says 'an excellent collection', so I might have another look at it.
Soumya
Sep 07, 2012 Soumya rated it really liked it
This story was part of English literature in junior school. I remember this very vividly, for the first time coming across words like "twilight", "insignificance" etc.
Aquino Inigo
Aquino Inigo rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Manu
Manu rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2016
linda
linda rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Kathryn
Nov 25, 2012 Kathryn rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-school
Read only short story "Games at Twilight."
Pamela Sinkamba
Pamela Sinkamba rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
Ananya Kaushik
Ananya Kaushik rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2014
Angbeen
Angbeen rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Nimboo
Nimboo rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
O.
O. rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
Amandeep Choudhary
Amandeep Choudhary rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2012
Yamini Bagga
Yamini Bagga rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2013
Anita
Anita rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2013
Manoj Wangu
Manoj Wangu rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Bookants
Bookants rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2010
Tanisha
Tanisha rated it did not like it
Dec 24, 2013
Snigdha Chakraborty
Snigdha Chakraborty rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Trisha Khorugdharry
Trisha Khorugdharry rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
  • Thinking From A To Z
  • Second Thoughts
  • Prelude
  • كيف كتبت الرسالة الأولى
Anita Desai was born in 1937. Her published works include adult novels, children's books and short stories. She is a member of the Advisory Board for English of the National Academy of Letters in Delhi and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature in London. Anita Mazumdar Desai is an Indian novelist and Emeritus John E. Burchard Professor of Humanities at the Massachusetts Institute of ...more
More about Anita Desai...