Start by marking “Hexaflexagons, Probability Paradoxes & the Tower of Hanoi (New Martin Gardner Mathematical Library)” as Want to Read:

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Martin Gardner's First Book of Mathematical Puzzles and Games
Hexaflexagons, Probability Paradoxes, and the Tower of Hanoi is the inaugural volume in The New Martin Gardner Mathematical Library series. Based off of Gardener's enormously popular Scientific American columns, his puzzles and challenges can now fascinate a whole new generation! Paradoxes and paper-folding, Moeb
Published September 1st 2008 by Cambridge University Press

Be the first to ask a question about Hexaflexagons, Probability Paradoxes & the Tower of Hanoi

Justin
Aug 20, 2013 Justin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Math Teachers, Mathphiles
Shelves: math
What an incredible collection of mathematical brain candy. I discovered hexaflexagons from YouTube user ViHart this past school year. I showed the videos to my math classes, and they were hooked. Getting to read the original essay that introduced hexaflexagons to the general public was a joy. There is so much material in this little volume (quite a bit of it genuinely challenging for me, and my degree is in mathematics!) that I'm sure I will return to it again and again.
Tara
I made the dumb mistake of starting to read this book on the train on my way to work.
Rule number one: Do not open this book unless you have access to paper, pencils, a ruler and a flat surface. This book requires three-dimensional aides.
Manahil
Manahil marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Jonny Miller
Jonny Miller marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Ankit Patel
Ankit Patel marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Nov 23, 2014
Z
Z added it
Sep 26, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Shweta Sridhar
Shweta Sridhar marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Vasan
Vasan added it
Feb 14, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Robb
Robb added it
Jan 11, 2014
Liam
Liam marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Humza
Humza marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Grietha
Grietha marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Martin Gardner was an American mathematics and science writer specializing in recreational mathematics, but with interests encompassing micromagic, stage magic, literature (especially the writings of Lewis Carroll), philosophy, scientific skepticism, and religion. He wrote the Mathematical Games column in Scientific American from 1956 to 1981, and published over 70 books.
More about Martin Gardner...
Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science The Colossal Book of Mathematics Aha! Gotcha: Paradoxes to Puzzle & Delight (Tools for Transformation) My Best Mathematical and Logic Puzzles Did Adam and Eve Have Navels?