Start by marking “The Southern Seahawk: A Novel of the Civil War at Sea” as Want to Read:
The Southern Seahawk: A Novel of the Civil War at Sea

The Southern Seahawk: A Novel of the Civil War at Sea (Seahawk Trilogy #1)

Follows the exploits of Confederate naval officer Rafael Semmes, an actual historical figure, during the first year of the Civil War. The first novel in the Seahawk trilogy.
Published November 1st 2008 by Bleak House Books

To ask other readers questions about The Southern Seahawk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Southern Seahawk

Thomas Holbrook
Apr 01, 2012 Thomas Holbrook rated it liked it
While I enjoy reading history, I am, by any definition, a history buff. When one finds a well written history, it will read like an adventure story, often with intrigue, action, murder, heroes, villains and a clear resolution. Mr. Peffer, an obvious student of Civil War History, has taken a part of that war unknown to this neophyte; the role of the Confederate Navy played in that horrible event in our history and created a historical novel, the first of a trilogy from the facts. His writing is ...more
Alan Mills
Jul 30, 2016 Alan Mills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrorists, or freedom fighters?

President Reagan famously said of the Sandinistas in Nicaragua that they were terrorists, making it clear that the line between terrorists and rebels is a thin one.

Set in the opening months of the US Civil War, Southern Seahawk focuses on a small ship--which for a while constituted the entirety of the navy of the Confederacy--which slipped out of New Orleans, and began to play havoc, intercepting, seizing, and sometimes destroying, ships from the north importing o
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Southern Seahawk was free when I downloaded it to my Nook library. I give it only 2 stars because it was not the book I hoped it would be based on its synopsis.
I don't like the writer's style as a third-person introduction into each chapter and then the switch to dialogue.
I was disappointed Peffer gives so much attention to a fictional character Maude instead of truly building an account of Semmes.
I don't recommend it, even to readers who enjoy highly fictionalized novels about historical per
Gerold Whittaker
An American Civil War novel at sea: Commander Rafael Semmes has become the Union's Public Enemy Number One. In 1861, Semmes' makes a daring escape through the Federal Blockade of the Mississippi in the Confederate cruiser, Sumter. This is only the beginning of his career and with a hand-picked crew of Southern officers and mercenary seamen it is not long before all stops are pulled to stop him.

My copy (Kindle) seemed to have a few pages missing: Chapter 9 ends with Greehnow holds her in a deep g
Nancy Silk
Mar 02, 2012 Nancy Silk rated it liked it
Lost at Sea

This is a story written to the 1850's pirate within the author himself. It's not written in a style which would make it easy for today's readers to interpret. I'm at 40 percent of the story; I've had lots of sailing background and can interpret much of what has been written. But I'm stopping here at this point because I'm not entertained, I feel like I've been thrown overboard without a line tossed to me. Besides, I'm not sure how much authentic Civil War history is in this book. I do
Papa
Mar 27, 2009 Papa rated it it was ok
Recommended to Papa by: Bonnie Zeller
I enjoyed this book, but a major chronological error lead me to dismiss much of the historical events which the author presented as the factual framework for his tale. I didn't really catch the first time he referred to a box cameral and an unposed snapshot. If I had, I might not have read much more of the book. The second time he brought this up, I felt a bit let down.
Walt
Jul 03, 2014 Walt rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the book, not great literature but...enjoyable read. The trilogy may cause further investigation.
Jayne
Sep 03, 2013 Jayne rated it it was ok
This was a pleasant enough read, but it wasn't enthralling. I found the characters rather wooden & it read rather like a dry history book. I didn't hate it, but there is little to recommend.
Jay Fromkin
Mar 05, 2012 Jay Fromkin rated it did not like it
I forced myself to read the first 15 percent of this book, but that's it. Life's too short for bad writing.
Mitch Rogers
Mitch Rogers rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
James L. Wallace
James L. Wallace rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Jeremy Potter
Jeremy Potter rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
May 30, 2012
Lyman
Lyman rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2012
Diane Wylie
Diane Wylie rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2013
Marion
Marion rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2010
Barry
Barry rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Barry Richhart
Barry Richhart rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2013
Nancy A Pfennig
Nancy A Pfennig rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Andrew wellerritter
Andrew wellerritter rated it did not like it
Jan 19, 2017
John Bower
John Bower rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2012
Lyn
Lyn rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2010
Sandy Gordon
Sandy Gordon rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Michellea
Michellea rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Randall Peffer is the author of over 300 travel-lifestyle features for magazines like National Geographic, Smithsonian, Reader's Digest, Travel Holiday, Islands and Sail; he teaches writing and literature at Philips Academy in Andover.
More about Randall Peffer...

Seahawk Trilogy (3 books)
  • Seahawk Hunting: A Novel of the Civil War at Sea