Start by marking “Stolen Valor: How the Vietnam Generation Was Robbed of Its Heroes and Its History” as Want to Read:

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The authors expose phony heroes who have become the object of award winning documentaries on national television, liars and fabricators who have become best selling authors, and others who have based their careers on non-existent Vietnam service.
Published January 1st 1998 by Verity Press Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Stolen Valor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stolen Valor

The Quiet American by Graham GreeneAbsolutely Nothing by Mark A. CooperA Bright Shining Lie by Neil SheehanParadise of the Blind by Dương Thu HươngNovel Without a Name by Dương Thu Hương
Best Books on Vietnam
40th out of 140 books — 81 voters
Blood of Tyrants by Logan BeirneKontum by Thomas P. McKennaA Nightmare's Prayer by Michael FranzakMatterhorn by Karl MarlantesIf Not Now, When? by Jack Jacobs
William E. Colby Award Winners
21st out of 23 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

William
If you were born after 1960 and want to learn about the war in Vietnam read this book first. First it offers up some basic war statistics. And throughout the book it points out books written by total phonies about their war experience. In general the book is about men who claim combat experience but have no military record to back their claims. Best story in the book is a commander of a Washington state vfw who did serve in the Vietnam war. Good. But for the north.... Not so good.
Frank Evans
Stolen Valor is one book that every Vietnam veteran should read. We read or hear much about the false heroes and veterans claiming honors that they never earned. Stolen Valor names names and backs up the uncovering of these honor thieves with facts. Real veterans don't advertise their deeds and claim unbelievable acts of heroism. They don't need to. One very well written book and well researched! I recommend it to everyone. It belongs as a valuable piece of history.
Balls Montgomery
Books a bit of a slog but did infuriate me oh so that there's a bunch of soulless fucktards parading around towns with gumball medals and costume shop uniforms and getting applause and or money/jobs for their supposed military heroics. My grandfather flew motherfucking planes in WW2 and never spoke about it, a true fucking hero. These dickriders sully the name of the good men and women that wear the uniform.
Joe Robertson
A must read for anyone truly interested in discovering what the Vietnam War has done to this country. Exhaustively researched.
Charles Riddle
Well researched. Some of the ones who are accused may surprise you.
Katherine
Recommended to me by one of my interviewees, and got it through ILL at APL. This was a ridiculously well-researched book that will help me in my upcoming interviews with Vietnam veterans. While a bit repetitive, it is thorough and covers many preconceived notions that average citizens (especially younger Americans) may have of the Vietnam 'veterans' that we "see" on a regular basis.
Patricia Larkin
Dry as a bone, but informative and I'm glad I read it. I'ts just despictable how bold these liars are. Eventually they even believe the lies they're spewing. What's even more disturbing is that it is now at epidemic proportions and disrespecting every honorable veteran and active duty out there. These liars should be made to wear a giant letter A on their chest for the rest of their lives - stands for A-hole.
Nate Hendrix
if you think you know about the Vietnam War and it's veterans you are wrong. This will set you straight and depress you with all the stories of fakers.
Dale
excellent read & shows what poor research/verification our TV news & press does, as well as how lazy, selfish they are. If one wants a realistic understanding of Vietnam, PTSD, the VA hospitals, Vets claims etc this is a must read. Wish I had read it years ago. Really feel deceived! It just might even enlighten you on family members. Should be required reading in school!
Taddow
I must read for anyone that it interested in seeing insight into the VA system and those that choose to manipulate it and the heroism of real war heroes.
Lenny
I never could have imagined that there were so many Viet Nam fakers. This big give you the real picture without pulling any punches.
Seligne
Not so well written but an excellent treatment of topic that deserves more attention.
James
My entire review was deleted by someone at goodreads.

No notice, no reason given.
Kennedy
Really interesting look at fake Vietnam veterans.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
John
John added it
Oct 16, 2014
Andrew Michaud
Andrew Michaud marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Rheannon
Rheannon marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014