The Day the Earth Stood Still & Other Classic SF Novellas

The Day the Earth Stood Still & Other Classic SF Novellas

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  10 reviews

BALROG AWARD WINNER'S SCIENCE FANTASY CLASSIC!

Were the alien and his robot here to help or hinder humankind? Find out the surprising answer in the original story that inspired the classic 1951 science fiction movie The Day the Earth Stood Still. Here is a must-read for any science fiction lover, for, as the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction says, "the film lost the story's

Published 2005 by Renaissance E-Books/PageTurner

Realini
The Day The Earth Stood Still by Harry Bates

Very often, this felt like a comedy, for I laughed at the ridiculous aspects of an old, even dated? – science fiction story. But before I continue with a superior, arrogant tone, I should remember that I have no worthwhile story under my belt, and this is the story which inspired a classic science fiction film. Indeed, so much appreciated that it saw a remake, with Keanu Reeves in the lead role.
The premise of the story is rather interesting and believa...more
Bryan
Apr 19, 2010 Bryan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebooks, sf
I never realized that Harry Bates was the founding editor of Astounding (later brought to fame by John W. Campbell, Jr). I did know that the famous SF movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was based on his story, "Farewell to the Master", so thought this would be an interesting collection.

There are three novellas here, and frankly, only one of them is decent, that being "Farewell to the Master". It's aged, but is still quite readable, and still a worthy classic of the genre. It's quite a bit dif...more
Belinda
This collection contains three pieces of short fiction by Harry Bates. Depending on your outlook and attention span, they're either longish "short stories" or shortish "novellas."

The title story, "The Day The Earth Stood Still" bears just about zero kinship with the films of the same name, so don't come looking for anything like that. The story is simple, understated, and powerful, leaving most of the hard introspection to be done by the reader instead of being laid out in blueprint form by the...more
Saw the trailer for the new movie and got curious. I love the short story, Farewell to the Master, which is what the movies were based on - VERY loosely, I must say. Like so many short stories that get turned into movies, a simple, elegant tale is turned into an action flick full of political strife and explosions. (Well, there was at least one explosion in the story too.) But the message of the short story is so entirely different from either movie. The moral figures in the movies are us, as th...more
Chanpheng
Just imagine being locked in a room in the Smithsonian with a robot which is frozen during the day - and makes its move at nights?

After seeing the awful movie re-tread, and going through my memories of the original film which fired up my childhood imagination through science fiction, I enjoyed listening to the original novella and other works by Harry Bates. Definitely 50's Sense 'o Wonder science fiction but great.
Helen
The Day the Earth Stood Still; Klaatu is described as beautiful serene and godlike, but other than that the only similarity to the film was Gnut the wonder-robot. This is a really little novella... really just the introduction to a story, but is well written and absorbing. I was just getting really into it when it finished! Boo! Enjoyed the story.

J.J. Grant
The book is OK, but the only story that held my interest was the title story. Even then Bates spent way too much time leading up to Gnut's surprising disclosure.

I'm sorry to say that Hollywood did a better job telling the story on this one.

"Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!"
Guardian'sKeeper
loved it as well the movie!!!
Dennis
Left me wanting much more.
Anthony Murphy
So far, so good!
Paulo Muller
Paulo Muller marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Ilina
Ilina marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Nkosinathi Nathi
Nkosinathi Nathi marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Jerri Lyn
Jerri Lyn marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Debbi Friend
Debbi Friend marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Charles Davis
Charles Davis marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Kathryn Grenier
Kathryn Grenier marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Farewell to the Master Astounding Stories of Super-Science: February 1930 Astounding Stories of Super-Science January 1930 Astounding Stories of Super-Science: September 1930 Farewell to the Master (Annotated)