Start by marking “Achoo! Bang! Crash!: The Noisy Alphabet” as Want to Read:
Achoo! Bang! Crash!: The Noisy Alphabet

Achoo! Bang! Crash!: The Noisy Alphabet

A for . . . Achoo?
B for Bump, Bang, and Bop?
C for Crackle, Clank, and Crunch?

This is truly an alphabet with attitude, created by that master of raucous humor, Ross MacDonald. In this hilarious book you'll see clothes ripped off an intrepid game hunter by a ferocious lion (ROAR! RIP! RUN!); a little boy who manages to pin the tail on his father, rather than the donkey. (NO!
Published August 19th 2003 by Roaring Brook Press (first published August 4th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Achoo! Bang! Crash!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Achoo! Bang! Crash!

Kelsey
Nov 14, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Age: Preschool-1st grade
Point of lolment: The reindeer trying to shove Santa down the chimney accompanied by the J letter with "Jingle jingle jingle/jiggle jiggle jiggle"

How has this book missed everyone's radar? MacDonald provides an imaginative ABC book reliant solely on noises, sounds, and expressions. Not only are the illustrations perfectly complimentary (well, they obviously need to be in an ABC book) but MacDonald mixes up the flow of the text without disrupting the humor. Where a buoyant
Danica Midlil
What a clever book! A great book for onomatopoeias as well as the great '40s and '50s feel of the illustrations.
Allie
Jan 17, 2017 Allie rated it really liked it
All the text in the book was hand set and hand printed! Plus the illustrations are really fun and very vintage-inspired. My library's copy isn't in the greatest condition, but I'm still keeping because I love it.
Shelli Gheen
Apr 01, 2013 Shelli Gheen rated it really liked it
Achoo! Bang! Crash! The Noisy Alphabet (2003) by Ross MacDonald is just that...a noisy alphabet. With a different letter of the alphabet on each page and hilarious pictures to boot, kids will love this ABC book. All of the words are onomatopoeia and need to be read aloud for full effect. The illustrations are in an older style, sort of like comics.

Themes: Alphabet; Onomatopoeia

Ways to use this with children:
*As mentioned before, this one really needs to be read aloud...to the children or with t
Betsy
Jul 15, 2014 Betsy rated it really liked it
Review first posted on RedeemedReader

This riotous book is full of noisy words! Onomatopoeia comprises the entire text, making this a perfect read-aloud (and read with) choice for kindergarten and early elementary students. MacDonald’s illustrations have a vintage feel to them which matches the font choices expertly. Backmatter includes a nice explanation of old-fashioned wooden type from the 19th century. MacDonald did indeed use his vintage press for the words in this book and offers up a chall
Kristin
Oct 24, 2010 Kristin rated it liked it
Positively reviewed. (www.denverlibrary.org)

Of all the alphabet books, this one is arguably not only the most fun, but also the most clever. Ross Macdonald introduces the alphabet in an entirely new way, one that particularly appeals to boys due to the amount of sneezed off and exploded off clothing! The vintage styled illustrations beg for parents and grandparents to curl up with young readers to discuss the alphabet and explore pictures of burping, old men yakking, and other generally revoltin
Melissa
Jul 01, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Ross MacDonald uses old wood printing techniques and drawings reminiscent of books from the same time period that bring the alphabet to life. Adults and children alike will enjoy reading the nonsense words and onomatopoeia to supplement the hilarious illustrations. Achoo! Bang! Crash! The Noisy Alphabet is a book I would recommend to early readers working on decoding and to readers that want to remember cartoons and books from their own childhood.
Jackie
Feb 05, 2008 Jackie rated it really liked it
The alphabet has never been noisier. Who knew we could make so many wonderful and descriptive words from our alphabet? MacDonald uses watercolor pictures and words to illustrate just how noisy our words can be. Each page is filled with words that make a connection to the noises they make. Cleverly animated pictures tell a story for the child reading the alphabet. A book that will have the children acting out the words, as the alphabet is spoken. Illustrations are life-like and identifiable.
Morgan
Nov 17, 2016 Morgan added it
Shelves: rdng-350
This book was printed using a printing press. It was very art focused but featured lots of sound words. From Bang to Zoom, it had about any you can think of with silly pictures featuring the words.

This book would be fun to have students read aloud. They would get so excited to yell out the words and they would think the pictures were very funny. This book could eb used in grammar to talk about sound words.
Tiffiny
This is a fun ABC book, all about noisy sounds. My 3-year-old looooooves it! I knew she would. But she's also afraid of some of the illustrations (strange alien-like creatures). And my 12-year-old thinks one of the illustrations (a man with his bare bottom showing) isn't appropriate. I would have to agree. Kinda weird for a children's book!
Catherine
Jun 17, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
MacDonald uses 19th century woodcut letters and his own vintage-y drawings to bring this alphabetical onomatopoeia extravaganza to life.

I loved the style, my kids thought the illustrations were hilarious, and the photographed tutorial of the vanishing art of letterpress printing at the end was very informative.
Brianna Blackwell
Sep 20, 2015 Brianna Blackwell rated it really liked it
This is a very visually appealing book that was made with old circus letter type. I like that this book focuses on sounds and can show children what all sounds come from. I did not like that the book does not show the lowercase form of the letters as well though.
Lori Shook
As I have said before, I have a slight *thing* for ABC books. Well, this one combines onomatopoeia pushing it high to the list of top ABC books! Also uses (and discusses at the end of the book) 19th Century wood typeset which could open dialogue about printing processes.
Amy
Jun 29, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
The baby laughs so much at all the onomatopoeias in this book. For that, it wins 5 stars. You don't have to know English to understand the words. Gosh, I wish I'd known about this book when I was teaching international students onomatopoeias in American literature. Oh well.
jacky
Jan 29, 2012 jacky rated it liked it
Not for the very young, which is who I think of when I think alphabet book, so I was a little disappointed. But it was something I think older kids, particularly elementary school boys, would like. Good resource for teaching onomatopoeia.
Jj
May 03, 2013 Jj rated it really liked it
An alphabet in onomatopoeia! Brilliant!
Greta
Jan 30, 2011 Greta rated it liked it
fun use of onamonapia.
Kristie
Mar 07, 2008 Kristie rated it really liked it
Great alphabet story- best for one-on-one sharing; probably wouldn't work well in a group setting.
Artnoose Noose
Jul 11, 2008 Artnoose Noose rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Artnoose by: Alisa
A darling alphabet book featuring letterpress printed wood type incorporated with hand-drawn illustrations. Includes an appendix with photographs of the type and printing process.

Zip! Zoom!
Beverly
Jul 08, 2013 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
I loved the retro artwork
Angela
Nov 28, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Pictures are more oriented to adults, but good interactive book.
Kifflie
Sep 28, 2012 Kifflie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I like the retro feel in this energetic picture book.
Ashley Salisbury
Sep 17, 2016 Ashley Salisbury rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Very hilarious and fun
Carrie Gelson
Feb 21, 2012 Carrie Gelson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun, action packed. The book might have been about noise, but my class was silent listening to all of the clatter! Engrossed and inspired. Loved to guess what sounds would be next.
Breaker
Mar 20, 2015 Breaker rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are witty and wry enough to appeal to adults. The palate is beautiful and great fun for kids to read... Not for quiet time though ;)
Shelli
Dec 09, 2009 Shelli rated it really liked it
Fantastic Illustrations!
Shannon
Dec 22, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Ross MacDonald pushes all my retro buttons. AND he used 19th century printing equipment for the text? Brilliant all around.
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2009
Guen
Guen rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2012
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Ross MacDonald has worked as an egg candler, dishwasher, soda jerk, house painter, street artist, paper maker, and printer, but is probably best known as a magazine illustrator. His work has appeared in The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, Newsweek, Time, The New York Times, and many other publications. He is also the author of the adult humor book In and Out with Dick and Jane, which was awarded a gold m ...more
More about Ross MacDonald...

“Some of us start out whole and stay that way.
Some need a spare part or two.
Henry - he was a bits-and-pieces kind of guy”
2 likes