Achoo! Bang! Crash!: The Noisy Alphabet

Achoo! Bang! Crash!: The Noisy Alphabet

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A for . . . Achoo?
B for Bump, Bang, and Bop?
C for Crackle, Clank, and Crunch?

This is truly an alphabet with attitude, created by that master of raucous humor, Ross MacDonald. In this hilarious book you'll see clothes ripped off an intrepid game hunter by a ferocious lion (ROAR! RIP! RUN!); a little boy who manages to pin the tail on his father, rather than the donkey. (NO!...more
Published August 19th 2003 by Roaring Brook Press (first published August 4th 2003)

Danica Midlil
What a clever book! A great book for onomatopoeias as well as the great '40s and '50s feel of the illustrations.
Shelli Gheen
Achoo! Bang! Crash! The Noisy Alphabet (2003) by Ross MacDonald is just that...a noisy alphabet. With a different letter of the alphabet on each page and hilarious pictures to boot, kids will love this ABC book. All of the words are onomatopoeia and need to be read aloud for full effect. The illustrations are in an older style, sort of like comics.

Themes: Alphabet; Onomatopoeia

Ways to use this with children:
*As mentioned before, this one really needs to be read aloud...to the children or with t...more
Kristin
Positively reviewed. (www.denverlibrary.org)

Of all the alphabet books, this one is arguably not only the most fun, but also the most clever. Ross Macdonald introduces the alphabet in an entirely new way, one that particularly appeals to boys due to the amount of sneezed off and exploded off clothing! The vintage styled illustrations beg for parents and grandparents to curl up with young readers to discuss the alphabet and explore pictures of burping, old men yakking, and other generally revoltin...more
Jackie
The alphabet has never been noisier. Who knew we could make so many wonderful and descriptive words from our alphabet? MacDonald uses watercolor pictures and words to illustrate just how noisy our words can be. Each page is filled with words that make a connection to the noises they make. Cleverly animated pictures tell a story for the child reading the alphabet. A book that will have the children acting out the words, as the alphabet is spoken. Illustrations are life-like and identifiable.
Catherine
MacDonald uses 19th century woodcut letters and his own vintage-y drawings to bring this alphabetical onomatopoeia extravaganza to life.

I loved the style, my kids thought the illustrations were hilarious, and the photographed tutorial of the vanishing art of letterpress printing at the end was very informative.
Lori Shook
As I have said before, I have a slight *thing* for ABC books. Well, this one combines onomatopoeia pushing it high to the list of top ABC books! Also uses (and discusses at the end of the book) 19th Century wood typeset which could open dialogue about printing processes.
Amy
The baby laughs so much at all the onomatopoeias in this book. For that, it wins 5 stars. You don't have to know English to understand the words. Gosh, I wish I'd known about this book when I was teaching international students onomatopoeias in American literature. Oh well.
jacky
Not for the very young, which is who I think of when I think alphabet book, so I was a little disappointed. But it was something I think older kids, particularly elementary school boys, would like. Good resource for teaching onomatopoeia.
Artnoose Noose
Jul 11, 2008 Artnoose Noose rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Artnoose by: Alisa
A darling alphabet book featuring letterpress printed wood type incorporated with hand-drawn illustrations. Includes an appendix with photographs of the type and printing process.

Zip! Zoom!
Carrie Gelson
Fun, action packed. The book might have been about noise, but my class was silent listening to all of the clatter! Engrossed and inspired. Loved to guess what sounds would be next.
Shannon
Ross MacDonald pushes all my retro buttons. AND he used 19th century printing equipment for the text? Brilliant all around.
Kristie
Great alphabet story- best for one-on-one sharing; probably wouldn't work well in a group setting.
Cynthia
We loved the illustrations and it took the ABC book up a notch with the onomatopoeia.
Angela
Pictures are more oriented to adults, but good interactive book.
Jennybeast
Letterpress alphabets! Wood type and noise! What's not to love?
Kifflie
I like the retro feel in this energetic picture book.
Jj
An alphabet in onomatopoeia! Brilliant!
Beverly
I loved the retro artwork
Greta
fun use of onamonapia.
Shelli
Fantastic Illustrations!
Therese Mccombe
Therese Mccombe marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
MrsMaryLibrary
MrsMaryLibrary marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Ross MacDonald has worked as an egg candler, dishwasher, soda jerk, house painter, street artist, paper maker, and printer, but is probably best known as a magazine illustrator. His work has appeared in The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, Newsweek, Time, The New York Times, and many other publications.
He lives in Connecticut with his wife, two children, four cats, and a large collection of 19th-century...more
More about Ross MacDonald...
Henry's Hand Another Perfect Day Bad Baby In and Out with Dick and Jane: A Loving Parody Hit the Road, Jack

“Some of us start out whole and stay that way.
Some need a spare part or two.
Henry - he was a bits-and-pieces kind of guy”
1 likes