Start by marking “The Switch” as Want to Read:

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  3,295 Ratings  ·  230 Reviews
When they first met Lord Jeremy William Radcliffe, Charlie and her twin sister, Elizabeth, were escaping from their uncle- taking turns acting the young gentleman to avoid detection. But Charlie couldn't help falling head over heels - and out of a window - for the handsome lord. Of course, that was only the beginning; Lord Radcliffe insisted on showing "him" and her lovely ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Leisure Books (first published 1999)

Ian
Mar 17, 2015 Ian rated it liked it
Running from forced marriages, Charlie (Charlotte) and Elizabeth flee from their home and their evil uncle in the dead of the night. But two young women traveling on their own will draw too much attention so in an effort to avoid raising eyebrows, Charlie dons the clothing of a young man.

Unfortunately they haven't even cleared the window before they are caught by William Radcliffe who upon hearing a slightly altered version of their story decides to help them. And so begins the hijinks.

This bo
Jillian
Jul 08, 2011 Jillian rated it it was amazing
I needed a change of pace from my usual paranormal / sci fi fare and I LOVE THIS BOOK!!

The Switch refers to twin sisters who are trying to escape horrible marriages that their uncle is selling them into. One sister dresses up as a man and hijinks ensue. First off let me say with all of the role switching, things could get a bit confusing. But it was HILARIOUS to hear Radcliff's inner thoughts when he thought that he was lusting after Charles who was actually Charlotte. The characters had such sl
BookLover
Apr 24, 2016 BookLover rated it it was amazing
This was my first Lynsay Sands read. She has a real knack for writing oddball female leads and alpha males which are completely endearing. Charlie was hilarious and poor Lord Radcliffe never knew what hit him when he rescued Charlie & Elizabeth and took them under his protection.

Amongst mistaken genders/identities, Lord Radcliffe unwittingly ends up taking in stray animals, a prostitute and orphaned family… all in a hilarious way. I couldn’t stop laughing at his reaction to Charlie’s antics
Ange
Aug 28, 2012 Ange rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious. A little bit silly but hilarious.

I know comedy is a matter of opinion. However, I'm pretty sure most people can find something to laugh at within the pages of this book.

Basically the plot revolves around two sisters: Beth and Charlie.

They are orphans and under the care of an evil uncle who cares nothing for them and plans to marry them off to old/cruel men who would use them as glorified incubators for their heirs.

Charlie (Charlotte) is a feisty young girl who will not a
Jane Stewart
Pleasant and enjoyable romance novel.

I debated between giving this 3 or 4 stars. When I finished reading it, my reaction was I liked it and I had no problems with it. That fits my definition of 3 stars. I wanted to give it more than 3, but I decided to stay with my initial reaction and definition.

It's a fun story about twin sisters Beth and Charlie (Charlotte) who run away from their uncle who plans to sell them as brides. To reduce their chance of discovery, they dress as a boy and a girl, taki
Lauren
1 Star

Twin sisters, Charlotte “Charlie” and Elizabeth Westerly, are on the run from an uncle determined to marry them off to the highest bidders. Escaping out a window, Charlie, disguised as a boy, collides with Lord Jeremy Radcliffe, who takes it upon himself to aid the “brother” and sister. Alternating between male and female costumes, Charlie’s attraction to Radcliffe only increases the more time they spend together, but can she trust him with her secret?

Utterly ridiculous!

Lynsay Sa
Britta
Mar 16, 2010 Britta rated it liked it
Beth and Charlie are caught red handed. Or red ... dressed. Trying the sneak out the window of an inn that they and their uncle are staying at, Lord Jeremy William Radcliff comes upon them and berates them for trying to leave the inn without paying. Charlie is dressed as a boy even though she is a girl.

The pair (identical twins) explain that they are running away from their uncle (who is their guardian) because he is marrying one of them off to a brutal man who only wants to sire a son and is s
Katrina Passick Lumsden
OK, so this one's pretty bad. Not terrible, but it's definitely one I'll never bother with again. Charlie is obnoxious and overbearing, and one can't help but think Lord Radcliffe is a bit of a simpleton for not figuring things out long before the end.

But it was towards the end, when Charlie once again rushes headlong into trouble without any thought to the consequences, that I decided I hate this story. Seriously, the girl's an idiot. So if you don't want to read about a termagant with the int
Jade
Apr 21, 2011 Jade rated it it was ok
*sigh* My first thought after sighing is, Why did I read this *rap?. How did I even get my hands on this book? Then, I remember that I have read other Sands books in the Argenue line and have liked them. Also, I remember getting this at the 10 for $1 bin at my used Book Heaven. I see why it was that price. It was terrible, pretty much from beginning to end.

I am both a cheap drunk and a cheap reader. Buy me a Margarita and I'm toast. Entertain me and distract me with a decent story and interestin
Caroline Yamashita
Quando li a sinopse, parei tudo o que estava fazendo para ler.
Eu SABIA que seria muito engraçado.
E foi! E foi também incrível!
Charlotte e Elisabeth são gêmeas. Seu tio Harry as vendeu para casamento com uns caras muito esquisito, um com fama de assassino de esposas, já que era viúvo por 3 vezes e o outro como pervertido.
Então as duas moças resolvem fugir, mas não como duas irmãs. Charlotte vira Charles! Um menino.
Eis que estão fugindo e se encontram com Radcliffe, um lorde inglês que promete aj
Mya
Jan 01, 2016 Mya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Switch by Lynsay Sands (Audio Edition)
Performed by: Fiona Hardingham

This is the first audio book I have listened to that I have not read previously. I had read a few reviews on it and was expecting some silliness - which I got and didn't mind. There were some chuckles as well. Charlie (Charlotte) and Beth were good characters. I liked how they switched often and the resulting confusion for poor Radcliff was amusing.

I do agree with one reviewer that when the switch was revealed to Radclif
Shannon

The Characters

Charlotte “Charlie”
Elizabeth “Beth”
Lord Jeremy Radcliff - I was quite confused at the end of the story when Charlie calls him Jeremy, during most of the book he just goes by Radcliff

Other various friends, foes and waifs.

The Story

A dizzying tale of twins searching for freedom from their oppressive/abusive uncle and his machinations. Or at least that is the way it starts out. As we continue we find a love story, adventure and even more dastardly foes.

All and all
Kristi
Sep 06, 2016 Kristi rated it liked it
This started being something of a romp, but it got excessive after a while. The hero was one dimensional and the disguise thing carried on longer than I liked.
Johanna
Mar 30, 2012 Johanna rated it really liked it
by Lynsay Sands

Genre: Historical Romance

When they first met Lord Jeremy William Radcliffe, Charlie and her twin sister, Elizabeth, were escaping from their uncle - taking turns acting the young gentleman to avoid detection. But Charlie couldn't help falling head over heels - and out of the window - for the handsome lord. Of course, that was only the beginning: Lord Radcliffe insisted on showing "him" and her lovely sister safely to London.

But how could he do that? With every touch, Ra
Lisarenee
Mar 29, 2011 Lisarenee rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book. Very funny, fast paced, and thoroughly enjoyable. This is now my favorite book by Sands. Set in England. About a set of orphaned identical twins who decide to take their fate into their own hands. They runaway from their uncle and their undesirable prospective bridegrooms in search of more acceptable husbands. Their uncle, who ran the family estate into debt, is basically selling the twins into marriage to whomever will pay the right price. Their plan is to escape to another unc ...more
Amyiw
Mar 14, 2016 Amyiw rated it liked it
Cute, a bit fun, but very improbable. Charlie starts out as the boy then switches with her sister. I really liked the story of the sister and her romance. She ends up with growth and is a very likable character. Charlie was a little too naive to pull off the boy though. When she is taken to a brothel it takes too long for her to figure it out. And again, what happens, improbable. Then there are two climatic endings. Just when you think it is over or a epilogue is coming, the true villain is reve ...more
Cassie
Feb 06, 2015 Cassie rated it liked it
This book is not technically good. The dialogue doesn't feel true to the time period. There are numerous plot holes and glaring inconsistencies. The POV switched so often without warning, I often had a hard time understanding. Many of the scenes were incredibly cliche, and predictable. Many other scenes were entirely inappropriate for ladies to be in (so often they were alone together.) And the villian was your typical one dimensional evil lord. This is why I've given this book 3 stars

Because I
Krissy
Dec 04, 2012 Krissy rated it it was ok
Shelves: pgs-300-399
It was an okay book. I give it 2.5 stars. I only read Lynsay Sands every once in a while if the book sounds really good. Mainly because I have yet to read a book written by her that I have loved. I have never read anything awful either. She seems to sit right there in the middle. She is just okay. And that is where this book was. In the middle at just okay. I thought the ending was a little drawn out. It felt like it had 2 endings. Did we really need 2 bad guys? Once the whole scene with the unc ...more
MissyLynne
Horribly disappointed in the book.

I thought it would be interesting but it just left me bored and confused at times as Beth and Charlie traded identities back and forth.

The time period of the book left me guessing at times. I first thought it was a Regency romance but then you have a wig being mentioned, then the farthingale and the stomacher. I can't place it now, but I was thinking maybe the 1700s? Don't know and this annoys me since I like to have an idea of when a story takes place. That's
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Jun 17, 2014 Rebecca (everyday reader) rated it really liked it
Charlotte and Elizabeth are twins who are escaping their greedy uncle and the arranged marriages he has made for them with two unsavory, cruel, and old men. The Earl of Radcliffe meets them and offers them his protection and assistance, not knowing they are not a brother and sister pair. Radcliffe falls for 'Charles' and fears his reaction to a so-called boy because their passion explodes when they're together. Beth finds a husband, a blackmailer comes forward, Gretna Green gets lots of business ...more
Elena
Mar 23, 2015 Elena rated it really liked it
3.5*
Cute! I love "twin" plots and the switching back an forth. However , i didn't like that one of the twins had to play a boy and that Charlotte kept being it! I didn't think that it was fair (i didn't think that Beth was being fair) to be making Charlotte do it all the time.

Charlotte was a strong female character and Radcliffe was very lovable!

The kidnappings and the escapes were a little over the top... But overall - cute!!
Jaime Criswell
Feb 19, 2014 Jaime Criswell rated it did not like it
I usually enjoy Lynsay Sands for a bit of fun, light reading. This book was just intolerable for me though. How long can the dressing as the opposite gender bit work? It is just unbelievable that a smart rational person would even buy such a ruse. That made this book very hard for me to read. I like my leading men to be smart. If the leading man believes that the "boy" he is weirdly attracted to is truly male for over 3/4 of the book - that is just too much for me.
Danielle Chedid
Jul 31, 2014 Danielle Chedid rated it really liked it
This is my second historical romance, and I really enjoyed it! Light, funny, easy to read, and thankfully with far less sex than I was anticipating (ahem, Grace Burroughs), it was a good read. I did think it dragged on a bit toward the end however, and really could have been about fifty pages shorter. Ignoring that though, I would very much recommend it.
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Mar 14, 2014 The Book Junkie Reads . . . rated it really liked it
Charlie and Beth have a problem. A very big problem. Their uncle wants to sell them into marriage to fill his coffers. A chance meeting with one man leads them to another man and they both get a fairy tale ending.

Take this humorous ride in the historic romance (for two). The 'who done it' will surprise you in the end.
Edie
May 22, 2012 Edie rated it did not like it

I was going along great guns and enjoying the tale until near the end when the farce started reminding me of all the folks piling out of the clown car at the circus...too much going on to suit me and not nearly enough to hold mt interest.
Brenda (b)
This was a fun story. Sure, there were a couple of plot points that were a bit far-fetched, but by setting my skepticism aside I was able to enjoy the storyline. I actually liked the characters and their interaction with each other.
Michaela
Jun 20, 2016 Michaela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed, cringed, and thoroughly enjoyed this romance novel. A unique tale centered around two intelligent twin sisters. Cross dressing, misunderstandings, love, blackmail, and murder.
Ebeye Jane Quijano
Jun 19, 2016 Ebeye Jane Quijano rated it it was amazing
funny and exciting
Stefania
Jan 11, 2013 Stefania rated it did not like it
this is one of the worst stories I have ever read.
Christy Stewart
The first, and only (God willing), gender-bender book I couldn't finish.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 20, 2015 12:20PM
  • His Cavalry Lady
  • Splendor
  • His Immortal Embrace
  • Reckless  (Highland Brides, #3)
  • Lady Rogue
  • Wish List
  • A Tale of Two Vikings (Viking I, #7)
  • Seduced
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
  • Sins of a Wicked Duke (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #1)
  • An Unlikely Place for Love: The Disguises of Kate Tanner (Virginia Historicals #1)
  • The Last Knight
  • What an Earl Wants
  • The Christmas Knight
  • The Husband Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #1)
  • A Mother's Way
LYNSAY SANDS is the nationally bestselling author who is known for her hysterical historicals as well as the popular Argeneau/Rogue Hunter vampire series. With her witty and charming personality, Sands describes books as, “Waking dreams or stories, tales to amuse, entertain and distract us from everyday life.” She’s been writing stories since grade school and considers herself incredibly lucky to ...more
More about Lynsay Sands...

“How did you convince her to remarry you?” Tomas asked curiously, drawing Radcliffe from his thoughts.
Making a face, he admitted, “I had to draw up a contract stating that I would never again condescend to her. That I would discuss business with her on a daily basis were she interested, and…”
“And?”
He sighed unhappily. “And that I would take her to my club dressed as a man.”
Tomas gave a start. “What?”
“Shh,” Radcliffe cautioned, glancing nervously around to be sure that they had not been overheard. No one seemed to be paying attention to them. Most of the guests were casting expectant glances toward the back of the church, hoping to spot the brides who should have been there by now. Glancing back to Tomas, he nodded. “She was quite adamant about seeing the club. It seems she was jealous of Beth’s getting with those ‘hallowed halls’-her words, not mine-and she was determined to see inside for herself.”
“Have you taken her there yet?”
“Nay, nay. I managed to put her off for quite some time, and then by the time she lost her patience with my stalling, she was with child and did not think the smoky atmosphere would be good for the baby. I am hoping by the time it is born and she is up and about again, she will have forgotten-“ A faint shriek from outside the church made him pause and stiffen in alarm. “That sounded like Charlie.”
Turning, he hurried toward the back of the church with Tomas on his heel. Crashing through the church doors, they both froze at the top of the steps and gaped at the spectacle taking place on the street below. Charlie and Beth, in all their wedding finery, were in the midst of attacking what appeared to be a street vendor. Flowers were flying through the air as they both pummeled the man with their bouquets and shouted at him furiously.
“Have I mentioned, Radcliffe, how little I appreciate the effect your wife has had on mine?” Tomas murmured suddenly, and Radcliffe glanced at him with amazement.
“My wife? Good Lord, Tomas, you cannot blame Beth’s sudden change on Charlie. They grew up together, for God’s sake. After twenty years of influence, she was not like this.”
Tomas frowned. “I had not thought of that. What do you suppose did it, then?”
Radcliffe grinned slightly. “The only new thing in her life is you.”
Tomas was gaping over that truth when Stokes slipped out of the church to join them. “Oh, dear. Lady Charlie and Lady Beth are hardly in the condition for that sort of behavior.”
0 likes
“How are you going to get in?” Stokes asked anxiously.
“I shall try the windows first, I think,” Radcliffe said with a frown as he straightened out his skirts. “I fear using the front door would be too much of a risk.”
“Aye,” Stokes said, then, “My lord, you…er…your purpose may be better served did you try to…er…keep your face turned away from anyone you encounter.”
“Aye,” Elizabeth agreed encouragingly. “And mayhap if you tried not to look quite so tall, you might be able to avoid some unwanted attention.”
“And if anyone does approach and question you, you might merely cover your face with a handkerchief and titer.”
Radcliffe blinked at that suggestion from Bessie. “I do not have a handkerchief.”
“Oh!” Whipping one from her sleeve, Beth handed it to him as he got out of the carriage. “Good luck, my lord. I know you will save her.”
0 likes