Start by marking “A Spell for the Revolution (Traitor to the Crown, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Spell for the Revolution (Traitor to the Crown, #2)

A Spell for the Revolution (Traitor to the Crown #2)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  163 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
After making early gains on the battlefields, General Washington’s struggling young armies are being relentlessly pressed back by British troops and Hessian mercenaries. Among the enemy’s ranks is a mysterious force from the Covenant, a secret society of evil witches that for centuries has been pulling the strings of European history: a Hessian necromancer who drinks the p ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published May 19th 2009 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Spell for the Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spell for the Revolution

The Patriot Witch by C.C. FinlayA Spell for the Revolution by C.C. FinlayRip Van Winkle by Washington IrvingThe Demon Redcoat by C.C. FinlayUnlanded by Lasa Limpin
American Revolution fantasy
1st out of 7 books — 3 voters
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniA Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'EngleA Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle
Books That Start With the Word A
197th out of 308 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Sherwood Smith
Feb 25, 2014 Sherwood Smith added it
Shelves: fantasy
No middle book slog here. Finlay starts off with a bang, and keeps that tension high to the last page. The stakes rise, the magic gets more interesting, and the secret history aspect made me grin.

I'll talk a little more about secret histories on my blog, but basically, Finlay does well by the famous figures and symbols. All he left me wanting was a brush with that fascinating pirate, Benedict Arnold. Maybe in the third book, which I wish was out right now.

The only creeb was with the copyeditor,
Margaret
Jul 07, 2012 Margaret rated it really liked it
7/6/12 ** This was a solid sequel to PATRIOT WITCH, though as I've spent more time in the world, I'm picking some things apart a bit.

Quibble #1: Proctor, Deborah & their allies are fighting against the Covenant, with good reason. I'm slightly perturbed by the sweeping generalization of good & evil magic correlated with the Patriots and British. The witches of the Covenant clearly practice a form of black magic that relies on the "death of innocents" to increase their power. Proctor, et a
Rebecca
Aug 30, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, past-earth
A Spell for the Revolution is the second book in a series of American-Revolutionary-War historical fantasy. The series premise is that the witch hunts of Salem actually did target some people with special abilities, who were forced underground. Nearly a hundred years later, witches still persist in secret. The protagonist, Proctor Brown, is a young man trying to balance his service in the local militia (which is rapidly heading towards armed rebellion against the British troops) and his engageme ...more
E.
Jun 19, 2009 E. rated it really liked it
A Spell for the Revolution (book two in the Traitor to the Crown series) picks up almost where The Patriot Witch leaves off--a year or so down the road, with the battle for freedom growing ever deeper and more desperate. Washington's troops are struggling, and it's not only the British they're fighting. The Covenant, a group of witches determined to have their way in this battle, is growing in power. Add to this, the powers of a Hessian necromancer, who has chained dead souls to the living. Proc ...more
Joseph Teller
Nov 12, 2009 Joseph Teller rated it liked it
The second book of this series, this brings us to darker days of the American Revolution, and the main characters again running into the efforts of the Evil Covenant to thwart the Continental Army.

Overall a decent 'middle book' covering from where the last left off, and the various defeats/retreats of the Continental Army, until the famous Christmas Day victory that turns the tide of events for a while.

It slows a bit towards the middle, a common problem with books spanning this many pages to tel
Mikel
Sep 10, 2009 Mikel rated it liked it
This book was significantly better than the first book. The author really dug into his story line. There were still times where he added fluff, probably to add length, but they were fewer and further in-between.

There were conclusions to several of the story lines that had left the first book feeling so disorganized. The relationship Proctor has with his mother, or the lack there of, still rings as too unlikely. However, there's a better sense of the other of the characters role in the story.

Af
Cindy
Mar 23, 2010 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
This book suffers from a major middle book issue. Although there is action there are parts where this book just drags till no end. It felt like there was an overwhelming amount of description of camp life and added romance fluff to make this book longer.

With that said, I really enjoyed the setting and the magic starting to grow a bit. I know this book is essential to tying the first and third book together but I feel as though I could have done with a whole book on the ghosts of the camp and th
Preston DuBose
Oct 14, 2009 Preston DuBose rated it liked it
Like the first book in the series, this fun read is an alternate history of the American Revolution involving a clandestine war between old world and new world witches. Even moreso than in the first book, C.C. Finlay weaves historical figures and battles in and out of the story. While not quite as gripping as the first book, it still held my interest enough for me to finish it in two or three days. It is definitely light reading.
Craig
Jul 18, 2009 Craig rated it really liked it
This second book in the series about witches involved in the Revolutionary War is another good one. Some of the dialog rings a little anachronistic in spots, but the interplay between the fictional and historical events and characters is terrific. I'm anxious to read the final volume to find out how it all plays out.
Ellen
Mar 27, 2010 Ellen rated it liked it
Excellent research is a highlight in this book, the second in a series in which magic plays a role in the American Revolution. But sometimes I wondered how many famous patriots our heroes would meet next... Nathan Hale, Thomas Paine, Betsy Ross etc.

But I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Shomeret
May 29, 2009 Shomeret rated it really liked it
The type of magic practiced by the white witches in this novel is appropriate for 18th century America. I also liked the use of Tom Paine, my favorite Founding Father, in this novel. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Karen Ziemkowski
Aug 11, 2011 Karen Ziemkowski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
I absolutely loved this book! It was action packed at every turn, and Proctor's scene as he crossed the Delaware River with George Washington was so powerful and filled me with emotion!
Kim
Oct 31, 2011 Kim rated it it was ok
Just OK. Not great. Not bad. Just something to pass time with. Not as good as the first or third one.
Chad
Oct 18, 2009 Chad rated it really liked it
Continued to tell a great tale with nice tie ins to actual historical events and persons.
Geoff Schaeffer
Aug 14, 2009 Geoff Schaeffer rated it really liked it
Another good entry in this series.
Lyn
Sep 29, 2009 Lyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Creative blending of history and witchcraft
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 18, 2016
DAVID
DAVID marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Penny
Penny added it
May 08, 2016
Andrew Franke
Andrew Franke rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Richard Parker
Richard Parker marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Harish
Harish added it
Apr 02, 2016
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Becca
Becca rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Stalking the Vampire
  • Threads of Malice  (Dubric Bryerly, #2)
  • Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire (Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire #1-4)
  • The Rose of the World (Fool's Gold, #3)
  • Charmed Circle (A Cass Shipton Mystery, #2)
  • Irish Tales of Terror
  • The Old Weird South
  • The Blood Whisperer
  • Witches Incorporated (Rogue Agent, #2)
  • The Perilous Prophecy of Guard and Goddess (Strangely Beautiful, #3)
  • Old Maid's Puzzle (A Quilting Mystery, #2)
  • Himmler's War
  • Duke Elric (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #4)
  • The Witch and the Priest
  • Ghosts & Echoes (Shadows Inquiries #2)
  • Demon Bait (Children of the Undying, #0.5)
  • Triumff: Her Majesty's Hero
  • The Witches of Jericho (Edenwitch #1)
Editor: The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (fandsf.com).

Author: The Prodigal Troll, the Traitor to the Crown Series, and Wild Things, and dozens of short stories.

Awards: nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (2003), the Hugo Award (2003, 2009), the Locus Award for Best Magazine (2016), the Nebula Award (2003, 2009), the Sidewise Award (2003) Sturgeon Award (2009)
More about C.C. Finlay...

Traitor to the Crown (3 books)
  • The Patriot Witch (Traitor to the Crown, #1)
  • The Demon Redcoat (Traitor to the Crown, #3)