The Alibi

The Alibi

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  12,468 ratings  ·  291 reviews
Sandra Brown's two previous novels, Unspeakable and Fat Tuesday, earned her a loyal band of romantic suspense fans and The Alibi is sure to increase the following. Mixing a little murder, some corruption, and a good bit of illicit romance, this novel makes the golf courses of Charleston, South Carolina, seem as seedy and fascinating as the back alleys of Chinatown.

Hammond

Mass Market Paperback, UK Ed.
Published May 8th 2006 by Hodder Paperbacks (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Alibi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alibi

Pat Cromwell
The absolute best Sandra Brown book ever. Hammond Cross is the best hero she has ever penned. The book moves at a fast pace. The ending is excellent! Ah... so tempted to give it 5 stars but only God rates a 5. I have 3 copies of the Alibi for fear something might happen to one and then I'd be without. I keep a copy on my bookshelf, my desk at work, and in my car. That way I am covered. There are very few books I am that anal about but this book along with Sharon Sala's Out of the Dark and Anne S...more
Oana
I know I said the exact same thing about every other Sandra Brown novel I had read, but The Alibi truly is the best romantic-suspense ever to be written. And this time I'm sticking to my guns (well, at least until August, when her next one - Mean Streak - will be out).

ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JUNE 3, 2014
Narrator: Dennis Redfield.

One of the best SB's I've read. Nothing she's written in recent years can match this 1999 murder mystery.

The MCs are flawed, vulnerable and fighting for survival - Hammond Cross, for his career, Dr Alex Ladd, for the same and her life. My thoughts about Hammond ran along the lines of 'not another think-with-my-dick hero', "it's black and white, dickhead!" and "you just met her, how can you be so besotted!" so in a way, Hammond Cross, cur...more
Julie
Oh, Sandra Brown!! This woman kills me. I just don't know what I would do without her books!!! I'm beginning to wonder if I have some sort of addiction problem. I just can't get enough of her novels. Okay. All gushing aside, lets rip this book apart and see what's going on within the pages.

If you've read my reviews before, you know how much I love a flawed character. Sorry, but the more messed up they are, the more I love them. Come on, it's got to be easy to write the PERFECT character. Everyt...more
Julie Barrett
The Alibi by Sandra Brown
Luke is dead at the hotel, shot 2 times. They inform his wife and she's not surprised he's not been murdered from his lovers husband. He has had many affairs in the past and although they are married, live in the same house, she knows nothing of his style or meetings of his life.
At the hotel there was also several others who had come down with food poisoning that may have seen the murderer. The cops try to get through to the ER doctor that they must talk to the people ri...more
Hayley
Wow I finally finished this book.... Took me long enough. I gave this book a 3 star rating because I did enjoy it, but I felt that the book took way too long to get to the point and didn't keep me turning the pages quite as fast.

This story was about a prosecutor named Hammond Cross who goes to clear his head one evening and decides to visit a fair where he runs into a beautiful woman whom he just has to talk to. At the end of their little escapade, he wakes up to find her gone. Pissed off royall...more
Komal
NO. JUST NO. DON'T READ THIS GARBAGE.

I received this book as a prize for English when I was 12, and it was my first experience of the modern thriller. Comparing it to my regular staple of classics I was utterly shocked by the amounts of sex and retarded writing. NOTHING stirred any emotion in me but I laughed quite a lot at how pathetic the book got with each page. One particular point of comedy for me was how horny the characters were. One time Hammond the lead guy breaks up with a girl and the...more
Amy Metz
I listened to this on audio. Usually that means I listen in the car or puttering around the house, sometimes I let it read me to sleep. In other words, when I'm not doing much and I want something to occupy my mind, I listen. I'm not one to sit in a room and listen to an audiobook. I broke that rule with this book. This one was a can't put down (or don't turn off) book for me. I enjoyed everything about it, and just when I thought I knew who the killer was, Sandra Brown threw a curve ball. I lov...more
Nancy Thomas
A little old-fashioned, somewhat predictable, kept my attention because I wasn't positive which villain was the real "whodunnit" until late in the book.
Kim
I listened to this driving to work. So, my opinion is likely different than if I read it.

I spent the first half, perhaps the first 2/3 ready to turn it off for good. I just didn't like it. But then... Then it didn't take so much work to get through. Pretty soon, I found myself sitting in the car for extra minutes not wanting to stop listening.

By the end I loved this book. Thankfully, I finished it long before my drive ended and I had some time to decompress. It was a great ending. By ending, I r...more
Elisabeth
Another good and honourable man led astray by a dubious woman, although his honour is already taking a beating from his ambitious father's ties to criminal events.

I found this very similar to Ricochet although the setting, Charleston, was much more pervasive and actually served to show how difficult it is for outsiders (Steffi Mundell) to struggle to impose themselves against those that are children of the town (Hammond, Davee). Charleston was beautifully described.

Alex, the female lead, was int...more
Seashell Deea
It was an amazing book, the suspense was incredible. The author managed to keep me interested until the end. Hadn't read such a good book in a while now.
I liked how she pieced together every little detail, the ending was perfect for me,unexpected like the rest of the book. Even though it was all of a sudden and short I felt like it made justice to the book.
It will make a great movie, I kept replaying the scenes in my head and imagined the ending and couldn't find a better way for it. Some might...more
Another good Sandra Brown mystery. It was a suspenseful novel that had a surprise ending. I have definitely noticed a pattern in the past 2 novels I've read by Brown. There's always a romance that is compromising an investigation. We'll see if the next one has the same pattern...
dmsburns
Rafael
Note: I received this book from a GoodReads giveaway.

In general, this was a good read. However, it took me some time to get used to the writing style used by the author. I also struglged a bit with the slow pace in in the beginning of the story. But this may be because it is a more romantic part of the book and I'm not much into romantic stories. After about one hundred pages, the story becomes more interesting and seems get more dinamic.

The mistery revolves around a muder in a hotel room from t...more
Netha
hammond cross, asisten jaksa wilayah & ingin menjadi jaksa wilayah, seorang pengacara andalan & cerdas.
dalam liburannya bertemu wanita misterius ditaman bermain.
pertemuan itu membawanya pd weekend tak terlupakan.
namun ternyata weekend itu ternyata peristiwa besar.
seorang tokoh masyarakat terkemuka, local tycoon Lute Pettijohn, ditemukan tewas dikamar hotelnya.

kasus itu akhirnya diserahkan pada 3 orang untuk mengungkapkan.
hammond cross (atas permintaan janda pettijohn, yg juga merupakan s...more
Megan
I am currently reading The Alibi, by one of my favourite authors, Sandra Brown. It is one of her earlier "suspense" novels (published 1999). The plot is interesting and the author, typically, gets right into the story from the first sentence. There is no "beating about the bush" here!

The main character, Hammond Cross, is on a fast-track to becoming Charleston's next district attorney. He has all the right credentials: son of one of the most prominent families,an impeccable track-record within t...more
Pamela
The Alibi could be strictly described as a murder mystery/romance. But I felt that it was the story of people trapped by their society's and their families' expectations. The Hero, Hammond, is trying to break free of his upper crust, high society life in Charleston. The heroine, Alex, has escaped from her empoverished childhood, but it has come back to haunt her in the form of her blackmailing brother.

After meeting at a faire and a passion filled night Alex and Hammond don't think they will ever...more
Britt
3.5 Rating for me

I probably would have given this a higher rating if I did not have such high expectations when it coms to Sandra Brown's writing. I did enjoy this book but I thought there were holes in the plot.

The Alibi follows Hammond Cross and his investigation, as a member of the district attorney into the murder of promienent business man and all around asshole Lute Pettijonn. The one problem is he has fallen in love with the prime suspect, and unbeknownst to the other investigators at th...more
Margreet Asselbergs

THE ALIBI by Sandra Brown
Advanced Reading Copy
To Be Published: August 27th, 2013, Grand Central Publishing

My rating: 5 of 5⭐

When Lute Pettijohn is found murdered, not many in Charleston mourn his passing. That doesn't mean to say that his death doesn't have an effect.......it does......it loosens up enough dirt in the town's upper social circles to shake its foundations.

And caught in the centre, as Assistant District Attorney, is Hammond Cross. Of course i...more
Nada
Hammond's Character being in love doesn't fit the rest of his already built profile. He is being shown as a vulnerable and weak person when he's thinking of or around Alex.

The whole plot felt almost as good as true, except for the character of Hammond which happens to be the most important character.

The suspense and the romance felt like they do not go together. As if the writer took the suspense from one book and the romance from another book and jointed them in "The Alibi".

"The Alibi" seems...more
Angela
This turned into one of those books that wasn't all that great, but wasn't so bad that I had to stop. My biggest issue was trying to keep all the storylines in order. I felt like we were going from present to past to one person's life, to another, without any clarity as to why we were doing that.

Add to that a tendency for people to have to explain a situation for us, instead of just carrying on with their conversation, and it would get laborious. (Think along the lines of someone asking you what...more
Mirella Grace
Baca ketiga kalinya novel ini... tetep deh, bintang 5. Dan terus terang baru di kali ketiga ini saya bener-bener jelas dan clear tentang bagaimana si pembunuh bisa keluar lenggang kangkung dari suite hotel serta meninggalkan TKP tebersih yang pernah ada... ck ck ck... udah 2 kali baca, kenapa telmi banget ya??

Lebih lanjut, as I have written earlier below, saya bener-bener cinta sama Rory Smillow dan Davee Pettijohn. Toh kalo diceritakan Davee suka sama Alex Ladd dan bisa bersahabat, kenapa Rory...more
Fay Risner
I do love a good mystery and this one was that. Sandra Brown had me guessing who murdered Lute Pettijohn to the very end of the story. At one point, I was leading toward one person as the murder and at the very last moment got a very big surprise when the real murderer stepped forward. This book has everything, murder, mystery, action, romance and interesting characters. Some of the characters are easy to like and others are just as easy to dislike.
Anita Fleming
Strangers in the night, exchanging glances. Wondering in the night, what were the chances. We'd be making love, before the night was through? The chances were very good for our strangers who ended their night at the county fair in bed at his cabin. Unfortunately for our lovers, it took awhile for the rest of the song to come true - It turned out so right, for strangers in the night. That old Sinatra song kept playing through my mind as I read this book.

The Alibi is a taunt mystery with many pos...more
Emily
When Hammond Cross, Assistant County Solicitor of Charleston, SC meets a mysterious woman at a county fair, he falls madly in love with her despite never knowing her name. Then, she shows up as a suspect in the high-profile murder he is prosecuting. He doesn’t reveal his involvement with her right away, which makes things infinitely complicated for them both as the investigation progresses.
Brown keeps us guessing right up until the end about which character the actual murderer is, and drops seve...more
Ruth

Luke Pettijohn is found dead in his flagship hotel in Charleston. The police are under intense pressure to find the killer. The Assistant DA sees this case as the key to his becoming the head of the department as the current chief retires. The night of the murder Hammond stops at a county fair. This is something he hasn't done for years. While he is sitting at a table listening to the band he sees a beautiful girl sitting at a table alone on the other side of the dance floor. He is highly attra...more
Francine
Due to the generosity of Sandra Brown and GoodReads, I have read my free copy of The Alibi. I've never read a Sandra Brown novel before, probably one of few people. I have to admit, I thought it would all be modern day romance, kind of like that soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful. If I'm going to read a romance I want some action or some history. As luck would have it, this had action, lots of it and I ended up finding a new author to read.
The title pretty much explains what the book is about...more
Gwynne Andal
This may be my favorite Sandra Brown suspense/romance novel. I love all the characters and how they have added depth to the story. I particularly love Hammond. He was divine. His sense of values and morals were tested when he finally found the love of his life. And let's not forget the ironic twist of Alex's life. Perfect character building and development. As for the suspense part, Brown was very good with the way she juggled with the clues about the case. From the past of Davee and Smilow to L...more
Willow
Not my favorite Sandra Brown, but still a really great read. I think I ruined it for myself by reading so many reviews, because everyone tended to reiterate the fact that the end throws a surprising twist, so I found myself looking for that twist and not committing to the plot, which lead to me waiting for the other shoe to drop and once it did I was like, "Eh."

Hammond Cross is a great character, and one of my favorite male leads that Sandra Brown has created. I loved Davee as well, and found m...more
Sanda Brown Super...: The Alibi 1 1 Jul 29, 2014 04:30PM
"Stand-In" by Kay Reno 1 11 Nov 11, 2012 06:22PM
  • Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake #2)
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • And Then You Die
  • Almost Dead (San Francisco, #2)
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • Every Move She Makes
  • Where There Is Evil
  • Bait
  • See Jane Die (Stacy Killian #1)
  • Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3)
  • Fear No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #3)
  • Picture Me Dead

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010), SMASH CUT (2009), SMOKE SCREEN (2008), PLAY DIRTY (2007), RICOCHET (2006), CHILL FACTOR (2005), WHITE HOT (2004),...more
More about Sandra Brown...
Lethal Ricochet Chill Factor Envy Smoke Screen

“I'm sure you could have. Fending off unwanted male attention is a skill every attractive woman must acquire. But you're also a lady who was reluctant to cause a scene.. (Hammond Cross)” 11 likes
“Dispensing with the frivolity, he kissed her meaningfully. When at last he pulled away, her troubled expression alarmed him. "What?"
"Be careful, Hammond."
"No one will know I was here."
She shook her head. "Not that."
"Then what?"
"You may have to put me on trial for my life. Please be careful that you don't make me fall in love with you first.”
0 likes