Start by marking “The River Where Blood Is Born (Ballantine Reader's Circle)” as Want to Read:
The River Where Blood Is Born (Ballantine Reader's Circle)

The River Where Blood Is Born (Ballantine Reader's Circle)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This astonishing novel takes us on a journey along the river of one family's history, carving a course across two centuries and three continents, from ancient Africa into today's America. Here, through the lives of Mother Africa's many daughters, we come to understand the real meaning of roots: the captive Proud Mary, who has been savagely punished for refusing to relinqui ...more
Published August 18th 1998 by One World/Ballantine (first published September 8th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The River Where Blood Is Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The River Where Blood Is Born

Mary Jean Phillips
Following nine generations of women from Africa, through the slave triangle, into the US and civil rights movements, and back to Africa, The River Where Blood is Born is ambitious, if nothing else. Jackson-Opoku takes the reader from the gateway to the afterlife, to the deep African bush, to the underground railroad through the enslaved American South, to cosmopolitan 1920's Montreal, to the West Side of Chicago, and through many more times and places. She executes this with grace on account of ...more
Marva
I think Sandra Jackson-Opoku is a goddess on earth. I love the way she tells stories; her book, Hot Johnny, is one of my absolute favorite books. The River Where Blood is Born spins like a web; it is meticulously written, all if the pieces coming together slowly. That is actually why I rated this book only 3. The characters were well developed, but the book took a couple of left turns that I felt unnecessary and not contributory to the overall story.
Bettie Thorne
This book is difficult to follow.
Tisha White
I read this for a book club I recently joined. It was a pretty intricate story, and it was hard to follow at times. This is one that will need a reread for sure; following nine generations of women is a pretty big task and I think she may have needed to expand the story to better explain the characters. My advice for this book is study the family tree in the beginning of the book, that helped me some.
Jeri
I read this book about 5 or more years ago and wished i would not have loaned it out! So stirring, it spoke to some of my hidden beliefs about ancestors guiding us thru life. Story line was tough to follow at times but it was an excellent read. I had forgotten about the author and hope that this book has a sequel or something similar! Excellent
Kendra Rochelle
I love this book and I often refer to it's stories of where babies come from and how we remember things as children and how we lose this ability the older we get. Really vivid descriptions, excellent writing.
Karma
This was a MARVELOUS story about the geneology and lives of an African- American family!!! It traced it's roots from Africa to the West Indies and America and back to Africa.
Lana
I love the mystical elements of this tale. What a tangled web the spider weaves!
Iejones
This was the best historical fiction I have read -- EVER. I recommend it to anyone who loves the proses of a poet and the saga of family and identity.
Tondelaya
Awesome book! A story of the African and African-American womans experience. I have read this book about 10 times and I think I will read it again soon.
Christie
I beg of you..read this book. It was fantastic. I always think of this book when pondering whether to kill that spider or not..
Emi
on of the books that has stuck with me all these years (read this when I was a junior? in college).
Efundunke
The life and foundations of womanhood with a spiritually fantastic twist.
Haila
Beautiful story beautifully written. It captivated me.
Torry
Great read with historical context.
Beverly Hathorn
Beverly Hathorn marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Pia J.
Pia J. marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Nyree
Nyree marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Shemaine
Shemaine marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Saa'un
Saa'un marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Ciera Hernandez
Ciera Hernandez marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
ioana.
ioana. marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Stephanie Spines
Stephanie Spines marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Tailsfangirl1
Tailsfangirl1 marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Alena
Alena marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
  • Eat Bacon, Don't Jog: A Contrarian's Guide to Diet, Exercise, and What Actually Works
  • Sacred Ground
  • Winnie: The True Story of the Bear Who Inspired Winnie-the-Pooh
  • The Changeling (Daughters of England, #15)
  • Outside Wonderland
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • My Life with the Chimpanzees
  • The Blackbird Papers
  • Forever, Erma
  • A Greyhound of a Girl
  • The Monkey's Paw and Other Tales of Mystery and Macabre
  • Sunset Bridge (Happiness Key Series, #3)
  • Glimpsing Heaven: The Stories and Science of Life After Death