Start by marking “De Droom van Poliphilus: Hypnerotomachia Poliphili (Gouden Reeks)” as Want to Read:
De Droom van Poliphilus: Hypnerotomachia Poliphili (Gouden Reeks)

De Droom van Poliphilus: Hypnerotomachia Poliphili (Gouden Reeks)

One of the most famous books in the world, referred to in studies of art and culture ever since the Renaissance, and the inspiration for the Rule of Four.
Bound, Hardcover, Paper Dust Jacket, Two Volumes in Slipcase, 600 pages
Published 2006 by Athenaeum - Polak & Van Gennep (first published 1499)

To ask other readers questions about De Droom van Poliphilus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De Droom van Poliphilus

Amy
Sep 15, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Strife of Love in a Dream, or, I Love Cusps

Francesco Colonna was obsessed with architecture, for sure, in a didactically ordered, religiously literate, and, I’ll say it!, fascist kind of way. Yet, the book itself, Hypnerotomachia Poliphili (The Strife of Love in a Dream), is a formally Anti-Fascist exploration of form. It is also a diligent “portal.” To the underworld of other worldly. Into “pleasure” and “unthinkable happiness.” For this, I think it is brilliant!

It was written long ago: 149
Eddie Watkins
Jul 22, 2008 Eddie Watkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first heard of this book when John Crowley mentioned it in his Aegypt cycle, and, as I am prone to do, I bought it solely because it was mentioned in a book I love.

It's been sitting on my shelf for years now, and once I tried to read it through, but got way bogged down. So now I just take it down once in a while and look at. It is one of those books that's nice to just look at, with thick creamy pages, wide margins, and some illustrations.

What I actually read in it reminded me quite a bit of R
Mitch
Jun 15, 2009 Mitch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Colonna’s Hypnerotomachia, which can be translated as “Poliphilio’s Strive of Love in a Dream,” tells the author’s tale of love for a girl, Polia. It takes place in two dreams amidst pagan bacchanalia that celebrate Greek and Roman antiquity, especially the architecture, gardens and costuming that the lustful Dominican monk imagined as he wrote in his cell at a Treviso monastery between 1465 and 1467. Based on hints left in the text and what little is known about Colonna during those years, Poli ...more
Jessica
May 01, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Probably one of the most difficult books I have read. I have read it a couple times from school and for pleasure over a couple of years. If you don't mind a very detailed dream filled with mythological, sexual flights and many other topics all rolled into one story then this book is right down your alley. I came to love it after dissecting this book in my art history class. I defiantly recommend doing history research to understand the time this was written and you may be one step above really g ...more
Spyros Maniatopoulos
A dreamy read. Difficult, rather challenging, but in a certain and peculiar way more reminiscent of Neil Gaiman's the Sandmand and Alan Moore's Lost Girls rather than contemporary litterature.

Plus there was a special reaosn to read it- and I was overdue.

Not anymore.

Try it, people.
Gregory Sotir
Mar 18, 2012 Gregory Sotir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading through this book is like opening an old bottle of fine deep red wine. On a hammock. In my backyard. During the summertime. Lovely gardens and architecture, long sentences that make my mind feel alive.
Tritocosmikos
Jun 14, 2015 Tritocosmikos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boring book. So why the 5 stars? Because it has some of the most exciting and unexplained illustrations. Something like participating in a arcade video game of the late 1980s.
Matthew Flowers
I will still pick this book up, randomly open to a page and start reading. This helps me go to sleep. An amazing mind wrote it, but it is very easy to get lost in the details.
Tecni
Apr 01, 2015 Tecni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tecni by: Adosinda
Este es el libro favorito de mi novia, lo cual ya es razón necesaria y suficiente para que lo leyera, al igual que yo le hago tragar con mis parafilias particulares. Porque el "Polífilo" es una parafilia, y al que me diga que no es porque no lo ha leído: a pesar de ser literatura renacentista, es barroco como él solo y no quiero ni imaginar cómo habría sido si la traducción no hubiera sido de Pilar Pedraza (probablemente un desastre).

La cuestión es que es un libro complicado de leer, no ya porqu
Greg
Dec 10, 2007 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is an excellent translation and interpretation of an important work of Renaissance literature that exerted a profound impact on aesthetics, particularly in architecture. Plus the author was a horndog!
Lane Wilkinson
Perhaps the greatest of incunabula. An expansive polyglot of classical allusions, clever wordplay, and playful typesetting. Further, the book is worth buying if only for the intricate woodcuts throughout.
Yuki Shimmyo
I bought this book which inspired The Rule of Four, which turned out to be one of the worst books I have ever read, unfortunately. Still, could be a fascinating read.. one day.....
Amanda
Sep 07, 2007 Amanda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-b4-i-die

i've tried once...but not very hard...to read this.
i believe it should be a good vacation project.
ideally while vacationing in tuscany
'Jj
Aug 23, 2012 'Jj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to 'Jj by: Jaron Lanier
referred to by Jaron Lanier - sounds very interesting & I'm giving it 5 stars simply because it exists…and hope to read it someday ...more
Doremelody
Oct 22, 2008 Doremelody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read a few chapters but not enough to give a cogent or thorough review. the plot is fantastic though.
Adam
Jan 03, 2011 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those things that I find more inspiring than something to be read for pleasure.
Ambra
Mar 03, 2013 Ambra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The rating is for the original version in italian. Didn't read this english translation.
aloveiz
Nov 22, 2012 aloveiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complicated work. Impressive edition.
I missed the censors' effects, so typical
Ben
Feb 19, 2008 Ben marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ancient and beautiful text, dense, but written as a key to another story.
Michellewithak
Apr 20, 2010 Michellewithak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite translation
Vanlilith
architettura&arte
Emi
Emi marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Jobber
Jobber added it
Sep 19, 2016
Madison Santos
Madison Santos marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Ryan Allen
Ryan Allen marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Matti
Matti marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
  • Jerusalem Delivered
  • Orlando Innamorato (Orlando in Love)
  • Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition
  • Le confessioni d'un Italiano
  • Ovid III: Metamorphoses: Volume I, Books I-VIII
  • Oration on the Dignity of Man
  • The School of Whoredom
  • The Voynich Manuscript: The Unsolved Riddle of an Extraordinary Book Which has Defied Interpretation for Centuries
  • Orlando Furioso: Part 2
  • The Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz
  • The Complete Magician's Tables
  • Virgil, Vol 2: Aeneid Books 7-12, Appendix Vergiliana (Loeb Classical Library, #64)
  • On the Nature of the Gods. Academics
  • Canzoniere
  • The Infinity of Lists
  • The Complete Alice & the Hunting of the Snark
  • The Complete Illustrated Stories of Hans Christian Andersen
  • The Form of Things: Essays on Life, Ideas and Liberty in the 21st Century
Francesco Colonna (1433/1434 – 1527) was an Italian Dominican priest and monk who was credited with the authorship of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili by an acrostic in the text.

He lived in Venice, and preached at St. Mark's Cathedral. Besides Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, he definitely wrote an Italian epic poem called Delfili Somnium, the "Dream of Delfilo' which went unpublished in his lifetime and w
More about Francesco Colonna...