Start by marking “A Slaying in the Suburbs: The Tara Grant Murder” as Want to Read:
A Slaying in the Suburbs: The Tara Grant Murder

A Slaying in the Suburbs: The Tara Grant Murder

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The true story of the Tara Grant murder.

To their suburban Detroit neighbors, Stephen and Tara Grant were happy as could be. But their marriage, plagued by resentment and extramarital affairs, was held together only by their children. Until the night Stephen snapped, strangled and dismembered his wife, then disposed of her body piece by piece in the very park his children
Published January 6th 2009 by Berkley (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Slaying in the Suburbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Slaying in the Suburbs

In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Manson File by Nikolas Schreck
True Crime
266th out of 405 books — 423 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonColumbine by Dave Cullen
Best True Crime
312th out of 457 books — 730 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth
I ordered this today from Amazon. I worked with Tara for over 10 years, and knew her well. This entire incident still leaves me sick. I think I'm looking for some kind of closure, here. Knowing it isn't there.
I finished this book pretty quickly. It's an easy read as far as that goes. For me to review this to others is not realistic. I'm too close to the situation and know too much to critique the author's work. Suffice to say they did a credible job with research, it's organized well and reads w
Kate
Very interesting book based on a horrible crime. I was a little taken aback at the author's obvious dislike for Alicia, Tara Grant's sister. The truly bizarre behavior displayed by Steve Grant during the weeks after murdering his wife was by far the most interesting parts of the book. I don't know that the trial was covered as thoroughly as if could have been, and the writing was a little uneven in places. Still, it was a fast, compelling read and will no doubt lead to a great book club discussi ...more
Marsha
Horrible, a rush job, full of errors.
Jennifer Defoy
This book surprised me. I live in the Detroit area, so the Tara Grant murder was on every news broadcast and every instance of breaking news during the search for her body was about this case. Given that, I figured there would be little that I would "learn" from this book. I figured that it would end up being a re-hash of everything covered in the news. This book was so not a simple re-hash.

The book starts the night the cops searched the Grant home. The search that turned up the torso of Tara G
Giving this book 5 stars seems a bit morbid. This true story took place not too far from where I live. Many of the locations/cities, ect I am familiar with.
Stephen Grant met Tara Destrampe at MSU, and both eventually fell in love, and got married. Tara was the breadwinner of the family and eventually worked her way up in the corporate office she worked for. She was often away from home, but always strived to be home for important events for the kids, and called everyday to speak to her 2 young c
Jessica
I have issues with the quality of the writing. It didn't make it impossible to read but it did distract me and make it annoying at point.

One of the things I did like was that they didn't paint Tara Grant as a perfect, innocent, victim like many true crime books. I definitely got the feeling she wasn't the nicest person, nor was she a good wife or mother. Please do not mistake this as me saying she deserved to be murdered. Not the case. Did she deserve to die, no absolutely not. However there is
Kayla Mcminn
Interesting read, I loved how they didn't make out the victim to be a perfect person who didn't do anything and was a perfect mother, wife and all-round good person. Domestic Violence is horrible and this book certainly shows a couple becoming raged and distance. I found the part where he hid his wife's body quite odd, just frustrated me. Passing on to my partner and sister to read.
Linda
Every once in a while I like a true crime book, especially if I have some knowledge of the case. I remember reading about the Tara Grant murder and trial in the news and this book caught my eye. I found it well written and compelling, even if slightly incomplete as Tara's family did not choose to be interviewed.
Melanie
An excellent unbiased account of the story.
Sharon
This is the story of Tara Grant, a young, upwardly mobile mother and wife, who was murdered by her husband, as a result of jealousy, rage and just stupidity. It was a senseless murder that left two young children without either of their parents for the rest of their lives.

I've read better written true crime books but this one was a fast read. I just wished as I read the book that she had not had to spend so much time away from her family for the sake of her job. Such a terrible waste!!
Bunny
You can tell these authors write for People magazine. Dreadful writing style.

What a captivating story, though. It's completely unreal. The idea that someone is such a psychopath that he chops up his wife, then goes to such trouble to make himself look innocent, even calling her cell phone over and over and yelling at her to come home to the children. It's something out of a fiction novel. Incredible.

Good to read for the story itself. Not so much for the writing.
Anna
I found it okay. It's true crime, Stephen Grant murdered his wife in 2007. I found the book rather slow and boring. The only parts that got me jumping out of my seat is when the the body parts of Tara Grant were discovered. The husband was creepy from about the middle to the end of the book. Tara Grant was murdered in Macomb County, Michigan. So overall I wouldn't consider it in my top ten favorites because I found it slow, a bit boring. It wasn't as exciting as I thought it was.
Michelle
Would have been more interesting to have Tara's family's take on things. I understand they wanted nothing to do with the book, so...

Felt like I was reading a story put together from newspaper clippings and gossip. Don't think the writer did Tara any justice if they were trying to really get her story out there.

Nonetheless, it's a sad story and I hope Ian and Lindsey can get past their parents history and live normal lives.
Katy
Jan 22, 2012 Katy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Pretty well written. A little repetitive, but not enough to get on my nerves. Easy to read, and understand. As much as you can understand a dude killing his wife and dismembering her body. But, in the end, I didn't have any lingering questions as to what happened. I'd recommend it to those interested in the genre.
Erin
Tara Grant was killed by her husband Stephen Grant in their home in Washington Township. The book has background on Tara and Stephen from childhood, details on the murder and the dismemberment, and the outcome of the trial.
Cherie
There was no mention of my favorite CPS/Foster care workers who worked so hard on this case or it would have got three stars. Mark Hackel and the lawyers are not the only hard working investigators in town.
Jessica
Considering this took place less than two miles from my house and personally knowing people who knew the Grant's it's not like I don't know this whole story. But I'd still be intrigued enough to read the book.
Kristen Doherty
I hope that the Tara Grant's kids are doing well. I think that Steve just lost control of his emotions when Tara starting saying things to him but nobody deserves to die.
Mary E. Kapustka
I am like my mother; I like true crime books. This one was especially interesting because it took place near Detroit and in the U P.
Nick
A pretty basic account of a murder. The most interesting part was how the killer tried to cover his tracks.
Michael Pehote
It was ok, seemed rushed for the trial portion. I've read better true crime
Shawn
Local references made it interesting...but the writing was mediocre.
Stephanie
true crime. usual. escapism.
Carri
So many errors in this book, so much of the story missing.
Teresa Roy guillen
Teresa Roy guillen marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenager Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
  • I'll Be Watching You
  • Tacoma Confidential: A True Story of Murder, Suicide, and a Police Chief's Secret Life
  • Finding Chandra: A True Washington Murder Mystery
  • The Gnostic Mystery
  • While They Slept: An Inquiry Into the Murder of a Family
  • Run, Brother, Run: A Memoir of a Murder in My Family
  • A Private Disgrace: Lizzie Borden By Daylight
  • Portrait of a Monster: Joran van der Sloot, a Murder in Peru, and the Natalee Holloway Mystery
  • Charles Manson Now
  • Pure Murder
  • Echoes of my Soul
  • Secrets in the Cellar
  • Fear of Our Father
Steve Miller is an investigative reporter with 19 years of experience in daily newspaper and magazine reporting. Miller has covered countless trials and murder cases, including serving time as a court and cops beat reporter at the Dallas Morning News and writing about numerous national crimes as a national reporter for the Washington Times, People magazine and U.S. News and World Report. Miller, t ...more
More about Steve Miller...
Detroit Rock City: The Uncensored History of Rock 'n' Roll in America's Loudest City Girl, Wanted: The Chase for Sarah Pender Nobody's Women: The Crimes and Victims of Anthony Sowell, the Cleveland Serial Killer Detroit Rock City: The Uncensored History of Rock 'n' Roll in America's Loudest City Nobody's Women: The Crimes and Victims of Anthony Sowell, the Cleveland Serial Killer