Start by marking “A Slaying in the Suburbs: The Tara Grant Murder” as Want to Read:
A Slaying in the Suburbs: The Tara Grant Murder

A Slaying in the Suburbs: The Tara Grant Murder

3.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  137 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The true story of the Tara Grant murder.

To their suburban Detroit neighbors, Stephen and Tara Grant were happy as could be. But their marriage, plagued by resentment and extramarital affairs, was held together only by their children. Until the night Stephen snapped, strangled and dismembered his wife, then disposed of her body piece by piece in the very park his children
Published January 6th 2009 by Berkley (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Slaying in the Suburbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Slaying in the Suburbs

In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonTrue Hollywood Noir by Dina Di Mambro
True Crime
288th out of 424 books — 525 voters
Best True Crime
388th out of 556 books — 967 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth
Mar 30, 2009 Beth rated it liked it
I ordered this today from Amazon. I worked with Tara for over 10 years, and knew her well. This entire incident still leaves me sick. I think I'm looking for some kind of closure, here. Knowing it isn't there.
I finished this book pretty quickly. It's an easy read as far as that goes. For me to review this to others is not realistic. I'm too close to the situation and know too much to critique the author's work. Suffice to say they did a credible job with research, it's organized well and reads w
Kate
Jan 31, 2015 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
Very interesting book based on a horrible crime. I was a little taken aback at the author's obvious dislike for Alicia, Tara Grant's sister. The truly bizarre behavior displayed by Steve Grant during the weeks after murdering his wife was by far the most interesting parts of the book. I don't know that the trial was covered as thoroughly as if could have been, and the writing was a little uneven in places. Still, it was a fast, compelling read and will no doubt lead to a great book club discussi ...more
Marsha
Apr 28, 2011 Marsha rated it did not like it
Horrible, a rush job, full of errors.
Jennifer Defoy
This book surprised me. I live in the Detroit area, so the Tara Grant murder was on every news broadcast and every instance of breaking news during the search for her body was about this case. Given that, I figured there would be little that I would "learn" from this book. I figured that it would end up being a re-hash of everything covered in the news. This book was so not a simple re-hash.

The book starts the night the cops searched the Grant home. The search that turned up the torso of Tara G
Oct 03, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Giving this book 5 stars seems a bit morbid. This true story took place not too far from where I live. Many of the locations/cities, ect I am familiar with.
Stephen Grant met Tara Destrampe at MSU, and both eventually fell in love, and got married. Tara was the breadwinner of the family and eventually worked her way up in the corporate office she worked for. She was often away from home, but always strived to be home for important events for the kids, and called everyday to speak to her 2 young c
Jessica
Mar 24, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it
I have issues with the quality of the writing. It didn't make it impossible to read but it did distract me and make it annoying at point.

One of the things I did like was that they didn't paint Tara Grant as a perfect, innocent, victim like many true crime books. I definitely got the feeling she wasn't the nicest person, nor was she a good wife or mother. Please do not mistake this as me saying she deserved to be murdered. Not the case. Did she deserve to die, no absolutely not. However there is
Suzanne
Oct 29, 2015 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-books-read
The book wasn't great but it happened in an area where I grew up so I was interested to read about it. By the end of the book you didn't really feel sympathy for either husband or wife. Although, the husband did kill and cut up his wife so he is truly the bad guy but I would not want to be friends with the wife either. When I read true crime it always amazes me that the "bad" guy never really thinks he is bad or deserves the punishment.
Fishface
Feb 06, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Very interesting to me because it happened so close to home, this is the story of Steve Grant's murder of his wife Tara. An uncomplicated story unless you are living in it, like their son and daughter who have not seen their mother in over 3 years as I write this. Presented as the story of another idjit who thought that it would hurt the kids too much if their parents divorced, and decided murder would be a better option all the way around. I'm far from sure that's what was really going on here.
Linda
Sep 27, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
Every once in a while I like a true crime book, especially if I have some knowledge of the case. I remember reading about the Tara Grant murder and trial in the news and this book caught my eye. I found it well written and compelling, even if slightly incomplete as Tara's family did not choose to be interviewed.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 17, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder, true-crime
WOW what a horrific murder. Well written book that will have you turning pages as fast as you can and not want to put it down. Not over done with details, well researched and somewhat balanced. Does show the side of the Murder, Stephen, a little more than his victim.
Ronnie Cramer
Feb 06, 2016 Ronnie Cramer rated it liked it
When I heard that this was written by people affiliated with People Magazine I confess I wasn't expecting much, but the book was actually pretty decent. I particularly liked the way they covered the trial without re-telling the entire story.
Melanie
Jul 14, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it
An excellent unbiased account of the story.
Sharon
This is the story of Tara Grant, a young, upwardly mobile mother and wife, who was murdered by her husband, as a result of jealousy, rage and just stupidity. It was a senseless murder that left two young children without either of their parents for the rest of their lives.

I've read better written true crime books but this one was a fast read. I just wished as I read the book that she had not had to spend so much time away from her family for the sake of her job. Such a terrible waste!!
Bunny
Jun 26, 2011 Bunny rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-11
You can tell these authors write for People magazine. Dreadful writing style.

What a captivating story, though. It's completely unreal. The idea that someone is such a psychopath that he chops up his wife, then goes to such trouble to make himself look innocent, even calling her cell phone over and over and yelling at her to come home to the children. It's something out of a fiction novel. Incredible.

Good to read for the story itself. Not so much for the writing.
Anna
Apr 18, 2011 Anna rated it liked it
I found it okay. It's true crime, Stephen Grant murdered his wife in 2007. I found the book rather slow and boring. The only parts that got me jumping out of my seat is when the the body parts of Tara Grant were discovered. The husband was creepy from about the middle to the end of the book. Tara Grant was murdered in Macomb County, Michigan. So overall I wouldn't consider it in my top ten favorites because I found it slow, a bit boring. It wasn't as exciting as I thought it was.
Michelle
Nov 26, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
Would have been more interesting to have Tara's family's take on things. I understand they wanted nothing to do with the book, so...

Felt like I was reading a story put together from newspaper clippings and gossip. Don't think the writer did Tara any justice if they were trying to really get her story out there.

Nonetheless, it's a sad story and I hope Ian and Lindsey can get past their parents history and live normal lives.
Katy
Jan 22, 2012 Katy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Pretty well written. A little repetitive, but not enough to get on my nerves. Easy to read, and understand. As much as you can understand a dude killing his wife and dismembering her body. But, in the end, I didn't have any lingering questions as to what happened. I'd recommend it to those interested in the genre.
Erin
Mar 25, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
Tara Grant was killed by her husband Stephen Grant in their home in Washington Township. The book has background on Tara and Stephen from childhood, details on the murder and the dismemberment, and the outcome of the trial.
Cherie
Aug 10, 2010 Cherie rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
There was no mention of my favorite CPS/Foster care workers who worked so hard on this case or it would have got three stars. Mark Hackel and the lawyers are not the only hard working investigators in town.
Jessica
May 28, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Considering this took place less than two miles from my house and personally knowing people who knew the Grant's it's not like I don't know this whole story. But I'd still be intrigued enough to read the book.
Kristen Doherty
Sep 28, 2009 Kristen Doherty rated it liked it
I hope that the Tara Grant's kids are doing well. I think that Steve just lost control of his emotions when Tara starting saying things to him but nobody deserves to die.
Mary E. Kapustka
Jul 07, 2012 Mary E. Kapustka rated it liked it
I am like my mother; I like true crime books. This one was especially interesting because it took place near Detroit and in the U P.
Nick
Oct 21, 2009 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
A pretty basic account of a murder. The most interesting part was how the killer tried to cover his tracks.
Michael Pehote
Aug 01, 2011 Michael Pehote rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime
It was ok, seemed rushed for the trial portion. I've read better true crime
Shawn
Jun 01, 2011 Shawn rated it liked it
Local references made it interesting...but the writing was mediocre.
Stephanie
Aug 07, 2010 Stephanie rated it liked it
true crime. usual. escapism.
Carri
Feb 12, 2014 Carri rated it did not like it
So many errors in this book, so much of the story missing.
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenager Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
  • Almost Paradise: The East Hampton Murder of Ted Ammon
  • Tacoma Confidential: A True Story of Murder, Suicide, and a Police Chief's Secret Life
  • I'll Be Watching You
  • Finding Chandra: A True Washington Murder Mystery
  • Poisoned Love
  • A Twisted Faith: A Minister's Obsession and the Murder That Destroyed a Church
  • Body Dump
  • Under Cover of the Night: A True Story of Sex, Greed and Murder
  • Echoes of my Soul
  • A Private Disgrace: Lizzie Borden By Daylight
  • Fear of Our Father
  • The Stranger She Loved: A Mormon Doctor, His Beautiful Wife, and an Almost Perfect Murder
Steve Miller is an investigative reporter with 19 years of experience in daily newspaper and magazine reporting. Miller has covered countless trials and murder cases, including serving time as a court and cops beat reporter at the Dallas Morning News and writing about numerous national crimes as a national reporter for the Washington Times, People magazine and U.S. News and World Report. Miller, t ...more
More about Steve Miller...