Start by marking “Everybody is Stupid Except for Me and Other Astute Observations” as Want to Read:
Everybody is Stupid Except for Me and Other Astute Observations

Everybody is Stupid Except for Me and Other Astute Observations

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  190 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews

Fans of Peter Bagge's generation-defining, satirical fiction may notrealize this, but the cartoonist doubles as an opinionated cuss, andhas been contributing provocative (but still hilarious) comic-stripopinion pieces to Reason magazine for the last several years...finally collected in this volume.

Although a libertarian by inclination (hence the Reasongig), Bagge (who live

Published August 18th 2009 by Fantagraphics

Be the first to ask a question about Everybody is Stupid Except for Me and Other Astute Observations

George
Aug 11, 2009 George rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2009, and
Should be renamed "I'm Not Funny When I Talk About Politics." Gets three stars because of my love of Hate.
Paul Eckert
Dec 28, 2009 Paul Eckert rated it it was ok

I found this book while surfing Fantagraphics’ most recent catalogue.
The title of this book pretty much sums up the content. Peter Bagge pretty much thinks everybody sucks except for himself. He is appropriately self-deprecating at times, but then it seems like he lets himself off the hook by citing laziness as his sin.

He admits to being a Libertarian, yet he never really explains anything about what he actually believes in. He quickly pokes fun at every other political ideology without provid
Matt Chic
Sep 13, 2009 Matt Chic rated it really liked it
I'm stupid. Pete Bagge was right. Or am I smart because I loved this? My only problem with this wasn't with the book, but with myself. Because of my minimal political knowledge, a bunch of the jokes and references got lost on me--but that's my fault.

What you get here is a collection of stories and observations (in comic form) from different assignments that he's been on for REASON magazine. Bagge's got his opinions on stuff of course, and talks shit about them, but he talks just as much shit ab
Derek
Feb 07, 2015 Derek rated it it was amazing
I love this book.

Bagge isn't afraid to point out the foibles of folks in both parties, and his comic style is the perfect way to get his points across. There was a lot to think about here, but also a lot of entertainment value.

Highly recommended for Bagge fans and people who like to think outside the box politically.
Will
Feb 12, 2014 Will rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
I have long wanted a single collection for Bagge's cartoons from REASON. They are funny, infuriating, silly, insightful, and indispensable reading for any libertarian (and most others, but they will ignore it anyway.)

Bagge takes no prisoners as he turns his jaundiced eye and pencil on a range of topics. Occasionally it grates on me, as when he vents the weird libertarian hostility to mass transit.... these libertarian car-owners need to Check Their Privilege, as my "progressive" friends keep sa
Rick
Jun 01, 2009 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Like many on the Left, I respect and enjoy Peter Bagge's art and humor, but not always his politics. His denouncements of many public services and his stance against gun control fly in the face of my beliefs. On the other hand, his Libertarian views on sex and drugs are refreshing in our puritanical, hypocritical society. With great candor and wit, Bagge tackles all these issues and more in Everybody Is Stupid Except for Me, a collection of his strips from Reason Magazine. As in his previous wor ...more
Adan
Jan 02, 2015 Adan rated it liked it
Pretty funny, but a bit too verbose for my tastes. I enjoyed his one-page comics way more than the four-pagers (I was especially tickled by the comic on intellectual property).
Matt
Dec 03, 2009 Matt rated it liked it
There's something very comforting about reading about the chaos in Bagge's fictional characters' lives. I wonder if his real-life stories will be the same.

Update: Eh, it's kind of annoying reading about his Libertarian perspective. He doesn't make all that great of arguments either. I kept finding myself saying, "Well, what about this?" although I did other times think, "Eh, he's got a point." He's more than willing to put himself in his stories, like his change of opinion towards malls as he gr
Dani
Jul 02, 2014 Dani rated it really liked it
The rantings of a cartoonist on society as a whole detailed in his popular art style that I ended up enjoying. Well done Mr. Bagge.
Wayne
Mar 24, 2010 Wayne rated it really liked it
I Hate this book. No I don't I don't know why I said that. I've made a lot of money over the years selling Peter Bagge's stuff. There's a good reason for that. He's brilliant, and one of this generation's best. No kidding. The only complaint i have is he's just not proficient enough any more. A whole generation is now growing up reading manga and crap like that, and are really missing out. Look here, every page is smart AND funny, and I endorse this product. Think Robert Crumb on acid. This is b ...more
Dave Riley
Oct 17, 2013 Dave Riley rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
While I like what Bagge sets out to do in way of graphic technique I HATE American Libertarianism! What a indulgent mposition of editorialising Peter Bagge imposes on his readers.

Two parts arrogance and one part scoff...excuse me while I pass on the politics (and I'm a left radical!)

Over written in way of text-- most pages are primarily text -- editorialising text. Very little characterisation graphically - limited caricature palette.

I suspect this guy is grossly over rated as a comic maker.

Artur Coelho
Jul 10, 2012 Artur Coelho rated it really liked it
Peter Bagge morde, algo a que os que o conhecem a sua obra já sabem. Neste livro o alvo do seu humor mordaz é apenas os sistemas políticos, ideologias e ditos formadores de opinião pública, dissecados com uma fina navalha de occam pelo olhar de um libertário perito em apontar a falta de bom senso na forma como a política lida com a sociedade. Se os detalhes desta banda desenhada que colige crónicas visuais para a revista Reason passam ao lado de leitores não norte-americanos, a crítica mordaz e ...more
Alex
Mar 19, 2014 Alex rated it liked it
Angry and misanthropic and articulate! He rails against the evils of the modern world. Good stuff.
Real Supergirl
Aug 29, 2009 Real Supergirl rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel
Bagge is a cartoonist I love from his work on Hate, and I liked this book a lot. I don't agree with all his premises, but he certainly makes libertarianism a lot more appealing than the nutbag Ron Paul does (BTW, he takes on Ron Paul in one of his pieces). He is critical of the left, critical of the right, and critical of himself, and that's I think ultimately why this collection works so well. He's funny, well-researched, and smart. Worth picking up.
Jon
Aug 06, 2011 Jon added it
Fun collection of Bagge's idiosyncratic cartoons that originally appeared in REASON magazine, the only libertarian mag worth reading. Sometimes churlish--his attack on Amtrak seems like overkill when by his own admission, he was taking it because his daughter cannot fly on planes--and sometimes wrongheaded--Bagge's in favor of water fluoridation, which even Ralph Nader is against at this point--but always amusing.
Mark Schlatter
Oct 20, 2013 Mark Schlatter rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I've been reading Peter Bagge since the early days of his Hate comic book, but his more recent works of fiction (done for Dark Horse Comics) have been rather hit or miss. This was a refreshing change --- it's a collection of his comics journalism/op-ed pieces for Reason magazine (a libertarian publication) and it's throughly entertaining as well as thought provoking.
Chris Estey
Jul 13, 2009 Chris Estey rated it it was amazing
Love and Rockets Vol. 2 #2 MIGHT trump it for me (and who knows when Young/Lasky's Carter Family book will be out) but right now this is my favorite comics collection of the year. Definitely of reprinted strips, that's for sure. Bagge's insouciant crankiness is offset by his self-awareness and amazing cartooning skills.
Peter
Feb 02, 2010 Peter rated it it was ok
I like Bagges' style, but loath his politics. If I wasn't so jaded about libertarianism, I suppose I would have given this 4 stars. It's tough to slog through this many political editorial cartoons. Regardless of the philosophy behind them, comics like this are meant to be read one at a time...
Sowmya
Jul 20, 2013 Sowmya rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I think I lost a few cultural references owing to my lack of background on American life of various decades. But, Peter Bagge's comments made an interesting read wherever I got them right. In general, the book is a good one to browse through once in a while but not extra-ordinary.
Jeff Raymond
A collection of Bagge’s Reason comics from the last decade or so. A lot of them were ones I’ve obviously seen since I’ve been a subscriber since college, but still some different, new stuff in there for me. It’s just fun to see the occasional anger that sepes out.
Dominick
Jan 11, 2013 Dominick rated it liked it
Bagge's comics reportage is generally amusing and interesting, and more balanced than you might think, given his Libertarian leanings. The material doesn't always lend itself to his rubbery style, but overall this is a solid collection.
Kasia
Jul 01, 2009 Kasia marked it as to-read
Click here for PW review and an interview with the author. Hilarious!

~k
Alex Robinson
Jul 17, 2009 Alex Robinson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cranks
Shelves: comics
An enjoyable bunch of rants, drawn in the classic Bagge style. I don't always agree with his politics and still don't see what he has against roads but still a good read.
James
Jul 24, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
I read this sort of slow to savor the Peter Baggeishness of Peter Bagge's writing. This is so good and may even be...better...than...Buddy Does Seattle. Maybe, just maybe.
Imbyr Unfortunately
Nov 04, 2012 Imbyr Unfortunately rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, read-in-2012
Peter Bagge is kind of a horrible piece of human garbage. Reads like a privileged middle-aged entitled white dude. Can't help it though, love that art.
Caleb
Aug 08, 2009 Caleb rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-strips
Monica
Dec 12, 2009 Monica rated it liked it
Some of it is really good. I'm not a libertarian, but I am a Peter Bagge fan, so I enjoyed it.
Gurra
May 11, 2013 Gurra rated it liked it
uneven, Bagge is at his best when he attacks all sides of an issue and makes everyone sound stupid.
marcali
Dec 19, 2013 marcali rated it really liked it
have always dug Pete Bagge, even when disagreed with him.
Kris
Jul 23, 2011 Kris rated it really liked it
Funny AND informative. Learned and laughed.
  • Get Your War On: The Definitive Account of the War on Terror 2001-2008
  • American Hero
  • The Horror! The Horror!: Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You to Read!
  • Action Philosophers!: the lives and thoughts of history's A-list brain trust
  • The Adventures of Hergé
  • Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder
  • Coming to Our Senses: Body and Spirit in the Hidden History of the West
  • Testament, Vol. 1: Akedah
  • Magic Words: The Extraordinary Life of Alan Moore
  • The Extraordinary Works of Alan Moore
  • Mail-Order Mysteries: Real Stuff from Old Comic Book Ads!
  • Reinventing Collapse: The Soviet Example and American Prospects
  • Right Where You Are Sitting Now
  • The Great Explosion
  • Jack Cole and Plastic Man: Forms Stretched to Their Limits
  • An Anthology of Graphic Fiction, Cartoons, and True Stories: Volume 2
  • Peepshow: The Cartoon Diary
  • The Arctic Marauder
Peter Bagge was born on December 11th, 1957, and raised in Peekskill, New York, about 40 miles north of New York City. While enrolled in the School of Visual Arts in New York City in 1977, Bagge discovered underground comics, and the work of R. Crumb in particular turned what had initially been only a vague interest in cartooning into a passion.

In the early '80s Bagge co-published three issues of
More about Peter Bagge...