Start by marking “Shadow of Doubt (Kali O'Brien, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow of Doubt (Kali O'Brien, #1)

Shadow of Doubt (Kali O'Brien #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Kali defends a friend from her past in a murder trial that draws her into a morass of sexual scandal, blackmail, and dark secret.
Published January 1st 2001 by Kensington (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of Doubt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of Doubt

No Shadow of a doubt with Kali O'Brien, June 26, 2012

This review is from: Shadow Of Doubt: A Kali O'Brien Mystery (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read all of the Kate Austin books by this author and many of the Kali O'Brien books as well. This author, Jonnie Jacobs, knows how to write a good mystery...good timing and plenty of suspense.

I actually read this book several years ago and when it became available on Kindle I thought I'd go back and read it again.

Kali returns to her hometown following he
Kali, a lawyer at a big time firm in San Francisco returns home for her father's private funeral service and to take care of his belongings. She hadn't been home in about three years and felt that her father had little feelings for either her or her siblings and hadn't offered them much support after their mother died. While at home, she stops to visit her long time friend Jannine and attends a Bar-B-Que where she catches up with her. Her intention is to clear up her father's affairs quickly and ...more
Nov 20, 2014 Lili rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle, a, law
There is not enough substance in the plot. A friend suspected of killing her husband and of course Kali is fortunately on hand to offer help and support. A little lightweight.
As she is trying to exonerate her friend from a murder accusation, Kali encounters old memories and mysteries from her own past.

I enjoyed the story. It took a while since I was only able to read a few pages a night. I thought the characters were realistic and that the authors writing style suited me. The characters were well developed. I didn't like the end. I felt rushed in the last 30 pages or so. It felt disingenuous to have a killer with a very contrived reason. I felt let down at the end. Seeing that this was one if the first In a long line, I will definitely read additional books on the series.

A surprisingly well done chic lit mystery. An Attorney goes back to her home town to bury her father and take care of his estate. Shortly thereafter her old friend's husband is murdered and she begins to investigate. There is enough complexity in the plot to keep the reader involved and an ending that is pure chic lit.
Jun 12, 2012 Shelly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mom, Denise
I actually liked this one (again, a Kindle edition but not a choice and not in my skill level to add it). I thought Kali O'Brien was believable and genuine and I loved that I could only figure out half the mystery before the author revealed the solution! I will probably read more of this series.
I hadn't started the series from the beginning, so this one wasn't what I expected. I'm still looking forward to more of the series because the book that I read was fantastic. This was good to but I'm sure it was just a building.
Not the greatest book, but not the worst, either. Kept me entertained on a 4-hour flight.
The first in a series featuring protagonist Kali O'Brien. I will probably read more.
Not the best book, but not the worst either. It was free on kindle so I gave it a try.
Ready for the next one....
Read August 2012
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 07, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
not very good
J Brown
J Brown marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Sue added it
Nov 25, 2015
Jenene marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Brooke marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Joyce added it
Oct 15, 2015
Vicky Beltz
Vicky Beltz marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Erin Lee Arvin
Erin Lee Arvin marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Looks to Die For (Lacy Fields, #1)
  • Wild Goose Chase (A Quilting Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Serpent (Serafina Florio, #1)
  • High Marks for Murder (Bellehaven House, #1)
  • O' Artful Death
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Trial Junkies
  • Hot Enough to Kill (The Jolene Jackson Mystery Series, #1)
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #1)
  • If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #1)
  • The Final Kill
  • At Large (Josephine Fuller, #3)
  • Confession Is Murder
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)
  • Buyer's Remorse (The Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries, #3)
  • The Disappearance of Mavis Woodstock (The Val & Kit Mystery Series, #1)
  • Share No Secrets
  • The Echo of Violence (Sweet Justice, #3)

Kali O'Brien (7 books)
  • Evidence of Guilt (Kali O'Brien, #2)
  • Motion to Dismiss (Kali O'Brien, #3)
  • Witness for the Defense (Kali O'Brien, #4)
  • Cold Justice (Kali O'Brien, #5)
  • Intent to Harm (Kali O'Brien, #6)
  • The Next Victim (Kali O'Brien, #7)