Start by marking “Southern Storm (Cape Refuge, #2)” as Want to Read:
Southern Storm (Cape Refuge, #2)

Southern Storm (Cape Refuge #2)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  4,387 ratings  ·  128 reviews
Sequel to the #1 best-selling Cape Refuge First a dead stranger. Now a missing Police Chief. Did Chief Cade run off to elope . . . or has he met with foul play? The body in the morgue had no ID. No one knew who he was or where he came from when he walked out in front of Cade’s car. And when Cade learns he had a gunshot wound before he was struck, finding his identity becom ...more
Published April 27th 2003 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Southern Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Storm

The Negotiator by Dee HendersonThe Guardian by Dee HendersonTrue Devotion by Dee HendersonDanger in the Shadows by Dee HendersonThe Truth Seeker by Dee Henderson
Favourite Christian Suspense Books
21st out of 87 books — 42 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversMark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine RiversLeaper by Geoffrey  WoodThe Master's Plan by Stephany TullisThe God Cookie by Geoffrey  Wood
Christian Fiction Favorites
197th out of 429 books — 355 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Sparkes
#2 Cape Refuge

Really enjoyed my return to Cape Refuge, and meeting up with familiar characters from #1. I loved the Cities of Refuge theme from the Bible. That was well done and nicely incorporated into the story ~ I don't think I've read that theme in another fiction book. It was definitely a unique touch that had added so much to the story.

A series I recommend reading in order, as a lot of the background of this story happens in #1.

Cape Refuge Series
#1 Cape Refuge (Cape Refuge, #1) by Terri Blackstock #2 Southern Storm (Cape Refuge, #2) by Terri Blackstock #3 River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3) by Terri Blackstock #4 Breaker's Reef (Cape Refuge, #4) by Terri Blackstock
I always like Terri Blackstock as a writer, though this series is not among my most favorites. Blair and Morgan are sort of annoying. Two things about this particular book.

First, my only criticism is that the end was a bit over the top. I thought it could have been done a bit more realistically. Cade's reactions seemed a bit ridiculous. I will note that the writer's characters do tend to charge in without thought at times and I see that is her mo for driving the plot and creating drama. At time
Gina Hott
Apr 27, 2014 Gina Hott rated it 4 of 5 stars
They think Cade ran away and got married without telling anyone?
Why on earth would people believe something like that? Well, yeas, there was a letter from Cade saying that he ran away to marry some girl he never had introduced anyone to. Who would believe that? All of the cops. The FBI. Just not Blair so she sets off to find out who that woman was that he was last seen with.

Then Karen, one of the residents of Hanover House, hands her baby to a nurse in the hospital. Only it wasn't really a nurs
I still have to read a book by Terri Blackstock I don't like. This book kept me up way past my bedtime to finish it.

The suspense was a page turner, and the story-line was realistic, well except for the letter. I had some early on suspicions on what is going on and who was involved, but not until the scene with the bloody bandage did I truly believe I knew who the accomplice was. I liked that the story-line kept me guessing right up till the end.

The Christian message of God being your ultimate re
I read the book “Southern Storm” by Terri Blackstock and I thought it was a good book. I thought the book Southern Storm was good because it leaves you on the edge of your seat. It has great details, and you can imagine it in your head and see everything that’s happening. It’s also an amazing thriller and has a little bit of mystery. I think this book is better than the first one in the series.

I feel this way about the book because they used a lot of details. An example is when Chad, a police of
Cade, resident police chief of Cape Refuge, is on patrol during a roaring storm when he gets a call about some fallen power lines. Obviously it is his job as a police chief to take care of this (?) and naturally it is necessary to throws his lights and sirens on and speed there as quickly as possible. (?) As he navigates the uncoorporating traffic that just won't get out of his way for this urgent business, he accidentally hits a pedestrian. To make matters worse, the pedestrian has a bullet hol ...more
Great second book in the "Cape Refuge" series by Terri Blackstock. Really enjoyed it. Can't wait to get my hands on book 3!
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
I like Blackstock's style. I really like books by Henderson, Blackstock, Peterson, and other authors who blend an intriguing tale while including a Christian element. I liked this book a lot.
As much as I love most of Blackstock's work, this book was disappointing. The competing story-lines were confusing. The assumptions made by the characters were confusing and detracted from the overarching plot. The obvious solutions were not used, which causes the reader frustration and takes away from the intensity the author is trying to build. While this book is a necessary addition to the first book in the series, and I DO intend to read the final book, I think this book could have been so m ...more
Barbara J. Harbison
Southern Storm rages on

After reading the first book in this series, Cape Refuge, I looked forward to immersing myself in this, the second book. And Terri Blackstock hit the ball out of park again.
The book had many of the same characters from book one along with some new people, both good and bad.
Blackstock has an excellent way of developing the story, keeping you guessing, keeping the characters interesting.
I read the book in about 24 hours; it kept me wanting for more. So I am onto book thre
I had a hard time getting into this book and nearly set it aside as a "well maybe I'll try this later when I'm in the right mood." But suddenly the book picked up steam and I was glad I stuck with it.

This is the second book in the Cape Refuge series. My family had listened to the first book on a recent trip to Utah and back. We all enjoyed it and once I start a series, I like to find out what happens next.

Cade, the Cape Refuge police chief is responding to some downed wires during a furious stor
Cade hits a person with his vehicle and the man dies. Cade is now missing and Blair is really worried. He's last seen with a mysterious woman. Jonathan starts to become concerned.

Newborns are disappearing from hospitals and Karen from Hanover House is in the hospital after just delivering a boy.

Even though the believability aspect is questionable, there's something about this book that I like. It's got some excitement to it. Blair's got guts but what's up with the scar angle. She has scars. We
Heather Palmer
May 30, 2009 Heather Palmer marked it as to-read
Police Chief Cade disappears after hitting and killing a man with his car. Without a trace, without a note, without taking clothes or his car or money, he is gone. When a witness says she saw Cade getting into a blue Buick with a woman before his disappearance, the newspapers report that Cade left town to be with her. Blair knows it doesn’t make sense for Cade to leave without word for any reason. The dead man is identified, and it soon becomes clear that the woman Cade was seen with was the wif ...more

Dit boek heet in het Nederlands 'Storm van geruchten'. Hadden dochters meegebracht uit de bibliotheek en een eerste blik erin boeide mij: Hoe gaat iemand het voor elkaar krijgen misdaad en een christelijke ('American - evangelical') boodschap samen in een verhaal te stoppen?

In feite gebeurt dit vooral doordat het verhaal overal fatsoenlijk blijft. Heerlijk, een misdaadverhaal, thriller-achtige elementen, en dan zonder gevloek, sex, etc.

Onder de mensen die in dit verhaal de hoofdrol spelen zijn e
A storm is raging on Cape Refuge. Cade, the Chief of Police is driving to divert traffic around some down power lines when he hits a man that walks out in front of him. Cade is raked with guilt after the man dies. When Cade vanishes Blair is concerned that something happened to him. Blair feels that the police are doing nothing to find him. She has a gut feeling that the man's wife is responsible for Cade's disappearance.

The story was interesting and one that I found myself wanting to keep read
I love a good mystery with no bad language nor sex scenes! Cade, the sheriff,is horrified when a pedestrian jumps out in front of Cade's car and he cannot avoid hitting him. Not only that, but the victim has a gunshot wound. All sorts of trouble develops as Cade tries to find out who the mysterious stranger is, and why he jumped in front of Cade's truck.
Libby Sellers
This is number two in the Cape Refuge Series. I thought this mystery storyline was unique and complex enough to keep me interested. Yes you can see some things coming but still enough surprises so it's not boring. These are written from a Christian Worldview yet they are real and not cookie cutter characters but are flawed like the rest of us. I enjoyed listening to the audiobook and want to find out what happens to Sadie as well as Morgan and Blair and Cade. Yes there is some romance thrown in ...more
This was a "good" summer read - easy, predictable, not terribly original or well-written, but engaging enough to spend a few hours on a Sunday afternoon. It was the second book in a series, and I hadn't read the first, but that didn't seem to matter - I certainly didn't feel lost in the least. Some things made me groan from sheer cheesiness, as when a 33 year old police chief reportedly thought "Oh, how he wished his mentor, Wayne, was around to give him advice right now!" I kept feeling the mid ...more
Carolyn E
Nov 25, 2011 Carolyn E rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone - must read
Southern Storm by Terri Blackstock is a fantistic book!! I could not put it down; in fact, I read the entire book yesterday. This book definitely gets 5-plus stars--at least 7 or 8 stars, or even 10 on a scale of one to ten.

Although I know Terri Blackstock has been writing for a while, I have only just discovered her. I am eager to read more of her books. (Fortunately, I believe our library has most of them.)
Pr Latta
[audio] Second in this Christian (quite evangelical) series, Storm has a clever hook with quite a convoluted plot, but the characters are stuck in their stereotypes (all the policemen are incompetent, all the city councilmen are rich and uncaring, all the kids in high school are mean) and the level of writing feels formulaic. I also had difficulties with Renee Raudman's reading -- her breathy tones were very difficult to hear over any road noise and the southern accents didn't sound like any dra ...more
JoAnn Bell
When did Caleb's name change to Seth? Wait until Book 3 ;).

I did find the explanation for Cade's disappearance a bit too hard to believe. Book tended to drag a bit... Hope the next one is better.
Heather Zuber-Harshman
Terri Blackstock effectively weaves a number of mysteries into one so you are continually trying to piece things together. She does so while keeping the pace moving. Not a chapter goes by without learning or wondering something.

This book is even slightly better than the first one in this series because the mystery is more complex. I found myself more intrigued and engaged by the characters.

While the reading is easy and the story line is not complex, it is still entertaining and realistic. It's
It's been a while since a book has kept me up way past my bedtime on a work night. This one did just that. There was no way I was going to wait till tomorrow to find out what happened!
Book 2 of the Cape Refuge series. Catches your attention immediately! Christian fiction/mystery. Cape Refuge is a fictional island near Tybee Island & Savannah, GA.
Tanja Ehlers
Starts out well and ends really well but had a bit of a drag in the middle. Definitely a warmup write for the next 2 books in this series though.
4.5 stars. Police drama. The town Liberian plays private investigator when her friend the chief of police goes missing.
I read this book because it came highly recommend in an article about "free Kindle books." So I downloaded it for free and thought I'd give it a shot. I will have to say that for free, it was a pretty good book. In terms of good books, it only gets 3 stars. It was a fun story to read, but pretty cheesy in parts. I didn't think she did a very good job of developing the relationship between the two main characters, which took away from the story as a whole.
It's like a love story/mystery with a Ch
The second installment of her "Cape Refuge" series, begins when an unknown man walks out in front of Cade's police car. When Cade finds that the man had been previously shot, finding out his identity becomes even more urgent. Then Cade vanishes, and his disappearance looks suspicious, but Blair doesn't believe the rumors, and is determined to find him, her faith in God may be her only hope - but, does she have what it takes?

Another gripping and enganging tale; I enjoy Blackstock's writing, and h
A Real Page Turner

I could not put this book down during a lot parts of it. This book does not disappoint. There was Refuge among the storm in Cape Refuge.
I had a hard time putting this one down once I got started. On to the third book in the series!
  • Exposure: A Novel
  • Season of Blessing (Seasons, #4)
  • Into the Deep (Rock Harbor Series #3)
  • Fireworks
  • Midnight in Madrid (The Russian Trilogy #2)
  • The Rescuer (O'Malley #6)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • The Real Enemy
  • A Rush of Wings (A Rush of Wings #1)
Terri Blackstock is a New York Times best-seller, with over six million copies sold worldwide. She is the winner of two Carol Awards, a Christian Retailers Choice Award, and a Romantic Times Book Reviews Career Achievement Award, among others. She has had over twenty-five years of success as a novelist.

Terri spent the first twelve years of her life traveling in a U.S. Air Force family. She lived
More about Terri Blackstock...

Cape Refuge (4 books)
  • Cape Refuge (Cape Refuge, #1)
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
  • Breaker's Reef (Cape Refuge, #4)