Start by marking “Paid In Blood (NCIS, #1)” as Want to Read:
Paid In Blood (NCIS, #1)

Paid In Blood (NCIS #1)

The death of a fellow NCIS agent in North Carolina leads Will Coburn and his special team of naval crime-scene investigators to discover a drug-and-arms smuggling ring. The investigation leads them to a U.S. military base in South Korea. When a body is stolen from a crime scene, the team discovers that their suspect is not who he seems. Nuclear weapons have gone missing, a ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Paid In Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paid In Blood

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCode Blue by Richard L. MabryLabor of Love by Cara MuhlhahnJenny Pox by J.L. BryanThe Boy Who Came Back from Heaven by Kevin Malarkey
Lendable Books
17th out of 27 books — 6 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareSilver in the Blood by Jessica Day George
Blood or Bone in The Title
333rd out of 366 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Debbie
Apr 10, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Paid in Blood" is a detective suspense novel which ended like an action-packed military thriller. While the reader knows who the main bad guy is and the broad picture of his evil plan, the reader had to learn the details of the scheme along with the heroes and hope they'd solve it in time. Suspense was also created by the various family problems that the characters were dealing with and the physical danger at various points.

The forensic details of the investigation were excellent and woven into
Crystal Starr Light
Jul 11, 2010 Crystal Starr Light rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, christian
I really enjoy the NCIS TV series (minus the copius sexual innuendos) and thought this would be a good, wholesome addition.

Plot:
An NCIS agent is killed when checking in on a coworker's stepson. Will Coburn and his team begin to investigate. As they wrap up the NCIS agent's murder, they realize that something worse is going on: military weapons are being smuggled. What follows is a fast-paced ride through the US, Korea, and Okinawa to find the culprits and stop the ultimate plan: to start World W
R Bartel
Apr 19, 2011 R Bartel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Will Coburn leads a specialized unit of NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Services) that goes beyond the ordinary police work of trying to solve murders. In fact, he and his team read crime scenes so well they can trace a good-deed-gone-terribly-wrong all the way to South Korea and back – because he and his team are not only well-trained forensicists, they’re also military personnel who know how to navigate the halls of military hierarchy and find what they need to solve their cases.

Qadir Yasee
Renne
Nov 28, 2011 Renne rated it it was amazing
Do you love a good military based story with plenty of action and take charge men and women? Then join Will Coburn and the rest of his NCIS team as they struggle in their personal lives and follow the pieces of the puzzle that begin with an NCIS agent being found murdered in North Carolina.
Amy
Nov 17, 2015 Amy rated it liked it
I think what I like the very best about this book was the authors commitment to referencing God and making sure they were strong Christian role model characters. However the book was a little bit hard to get into because I don't have a military background and I didn't always understand exactly what was going on. But I was able to follow the book enough to get the gist of things. I enjoyed the characters and like the storyline. It was interesting to watch it jump from one area of the world to ano ...more
Dijea
Apr 30, 2011 Dijea rated it did not like it
This was awful.
Jedi Knight Siri
Dec 26, 2013 Jedi Knight Siri rated it really liked it
Shelves: outread-aubrey
NCIS: Paid in Blood – Mel Odom

***Minor Spoilers***

Side note and disclaimer before I begin my review: Thanks to the CBS crime drama “NCIS”, many people know that NCIS stands for Naval Criminal Investigative Service. Millions of viewers (myself included) watch Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs and his team solve crimes involving naval personnel every Tuesday evening. Mel Odom’s NCIS series is not based on the NCIS TV show.

Odom has his own team of NCIS investigators. Commander William Coburn is a na
Bryan Ewert
Apr 30, 2012 Bryan Ewert rated it it was ok
Shelves: series
Right from the beginning this felt a bit like an ops technical manual. The author spends too much time on specific technical details in a way that pulls the reader out of the experience. Here's an example:

"Maggie manned the digital 35mm Canon SLR. The single-lens-reflex camera was outfitted with a one-to-one system that offered eight megapixel shots that uploaded onto the gigabyte-size flash card. With the ratio resolution, the Canon could reproduce images that were actual size."

The verbose deta
Kristal McKerrington
Dec 19, 2015 Kristal McKerrington rated it it was amazing
I did a full length review for this book on the link below:
Bookworm LLC
Jun 17, 2015 Bookworm LLC rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. this author writes Chrisitan Fiction, something that I don't read very often. He did a good job of not going over the top.
Tamara Tilley
Jan 23, 2016 Tamara Tilley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mel-odom, own
PAID IN BLOOD by Mel Odom is filled with suspenseful twists and turns, riveting plots, and complex characters. What starts off as a murder investigation of one of their own NCIS officers, ends up leading Commander Colburn and his team to uncover a plot that links together terrorist from South Korea, Japan, Russia, and someone inside the United States Navy.

Though the genre I enjoy most is romance, which PAID IN BLOOD is not, I thoroughly enjoyed this action pack thriller and can’t wait to learn
Em
Jun 02, 2011 Em rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free
I've been reading a lot of religious books recently, because I've been able to get them free for my Nook. They tend to be chick flicks. One thing I noticed about this book was that, although it was religious, it wasn't geared towards the same audience as the rest of them were.

The NCIS team in this book, is investigating the death of a soldier, and ends up traveling to Chinhae in Korea. They suffer there, and there are ups and downs along the way, but eventually they solve the crime and save a lo
Laura-Lynne Smith
Sep 25, 2015 Laura-Lynne Smith rated it liked it
I really enjoy the television show NCIS so I was immediately attracted to this book. It was a good story with a great pace until the end. I thought it was very anticlimactic & if I didn't know there was a sequel (which I have on my bookshelf) I would have been more disappointed. All in all, bad guys vs good guys and throw in some family drama and some nukes. I will definitely continue this series.
T.M.
Jan 15, 2015 T.M. rated it really liked it
Great read but I wonder why he chose to use ancient terminology for petty officer. Seaman first class and seaman second class are not terms used in the modern Navy. Otherwise a wonderful work of Christian fiction.
Telea Hiatt
Mar 26, 2015 Telea Hiatt rated it it was ok
It was an interesting read, but you knew exactly how things were going to pan out.
Terry
good book starts a new series.
Rachel Osborne
Oct 23, 2014 Rachel Osborne rated it really liked it
Good, about NCSI team at Camp Lejeune.
Jeff Miller
Oct 01, 2011 Jeff Miller rated it liked it
Pretty decent military thriller with some Christian aspects. I have read some of the Fantasy books by the author before which I enjoyed and I came to find that he also wrote Christian fiction. This book is kind of CSI meets NCIS as a Navy team follows the clues around the world to stop a nuclear terrorist event.

Though as an ex-Navy Chief I noticed some incongruities in mixing up language from an Army/Marine Core perspective instead of the what sailors would have used.
Charlotte
Feb 25, 2014 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, ncis
Hated reading about Frank's death. Enjoyed seeing the team thwart the diabolical plan set in motion.
Stacy
Aug 16, 2013 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A freebie for my Kindle. Since we love the two NCIS shows on TV, I was hoping I would like this one, and I was correct. Obviously different team members, but the same idea. Good crime procedural stuff, and clean, with slight Christian faith undertones. If I can find the others free or discounted, I would definitely read more in this series (or get them from Prime, if we ever join!).
Autumn
Mar 24, 2015 Autumn rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
I just didnt enjoy this book, to many focal characters, and I understand religion is big in some peoples live but this book was trying to beat it into my head that the characters were religious. It was anti climactic because of how transparent the story line was, you know about 3 chapters in what the total outcome is going to be. I would not recommend this story to anyone.
Lisa
Nov 04, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
I enjoy CSI, so I loved the topic of this series. It was very interesting, and I liked the explanations of what and why the characters were doing certain things with the crime scene. However, the writing did not flow as smoothly as I would have liked. It jumped around alittle too much, so at times, I was confused. The ending was somewhat abrupts as well.
J. Ewbank
Enjoyed this book by Mel Odom. It was about international intrigue and has a large cast of characters. The cast is so large you might begin to lose track of all of them, but don't worry, the theme and the plot will get you back in.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Jeff
Jun 18, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it
An engaging thriller that reads like a two hour movie from the CBS series, except its not. The other difference is a few mentions of "how can God do this etc" and the main characters pray out loud in their heads. So that's a little different. An entertaining rainy Saturday read.
Betty
Oct 11, 2013 Betty rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. If you go into the book thinking its going to be like NCIS you are mistaken. The characters a flawed and damaged and trying to solve brutal crimes and keep their faith in humanity and God. A lot of North Carolina references since the team is stationed here.
Emma
I don't normally read books where there is a tv series of them and in all honesty,I don't much like the tv show...but the book was free and surprisingly good. it felt a little bit rushed towards a conclusion which would be my only criticism...
Margaret Chind
Aug 21, 2010 Margaret Chind marked it as to-read
Recommended to Margaret by: Deena
Chantelle
Jul 24, 2012 Chantelle rated it liked it

The Christian stuff seemed a bit forced. I'm not opposed to Christian lit but I'd prefer that it appear part of the story. Instead, it seemed kind of shoved in to make it work and not an organic part of the story.
Siobhan (tigress5cubs)
May 26, 2012 Siobhan (tigress5cubs) rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Set in the military, this was an interesting read. For those of you who do not like a heavy religious aspect, skip this one. The characters pray a lot and talk about God a lot.
John
Jul 16, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Had I known this was Christian fiction I probably wouldn't have picked it up. Still, it was a good read with plenty of action. Just a few too many sermons for me.
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
  • Shattered: A Daughter's Regret (Secrets, #2)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Medical Error (Prescription for Trouble, #2)
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • Blood Ransom
  • All Through the Night
  • Thicker Than Blood (Thicker Than Blood #1)
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Conspiracy in Kiev (The Russian Trilogy #1)
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • Chasing Eden (Eden Thrillers #1)
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • The Justice Game
  • Elisha's Bones (Jack Hawthorne Adventure #1)
  • Sunrise
  • Gray Matter: A Neurosurgeon Discovers the Power of Prayer... One Patient at a Time

aka Jordan Gray

Mel Odom is a bestselling writer for hire for Wizards of the Coast's Forgotten Realms, Gold Eagle's Mack Bolan, and Pocket's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel book lines. His debut SF novel Lethal Interface made the Locus recommended list . The Rover was an Alyx Award winner. He has also written
More about Mel Odom...

NCIS (3 books)
  • Blood Evidence (NCIS, #2)
  • Blood Lines (NCIS, #3)